Minnesota Timberwolves finish with a flourish

In the final five minutes and 45 seconds of the fourth quarter Thursday night at Target Center, everything finally seemed to go right for the Timberwolves in their basement battle with the Washington Wizards. Read more

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jan 14, 2011
one in a row...
Ya maaan

Rochester, NY

#2 Jan 14, 2011
I really don't know what is holding Darko off being elite player in this league. The move when he driblled through his legs against Duncan the other day was great, but yesterday against Li, behind his back, spin around and score that was GREAT. So, now the question is, how many 7 footers can do that? NONE. Dude is obviously very skilled, there is so much to his talent than he is showing and it is so frustrated that he looks like he just doesnt care. We need a mean coach who is going to be in his face all the time and push him to another level. Now I can see why he was No.2 pick. He is one of the most talented centers that I ever saw and I saw few training sessions in Orlando and the guy is a great talent. Point blank. Why he can not bring some fire in his game,there is more to his game than left hook shot, he is a great shooter as well, why he doesnt take advantage and shoots above defender from foul line. There are so many why's. I wanted to totally give up on him and then I saw that move yesterday, no we can't give up on him he is to good for that and still only 25 yrs old. DARKO WAKE UP DUDE, show some fire and play the way you know how to play. Nuff said.
Tony Rozycki

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 14, 2011
Fun game Wolves!!

(Annoying article.)
CamelTow

Calgary, Canada

#4 Jan 14, 2011
we're commin'.................
smartie

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jan 14, 2011
They can win without Beasley? Good!!!
However, I just can't figure out why 11,000+ would turn out to watch this mess.
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

#6 Jan 14, 2011
Ya maaan - I agree about Darko. He's like the little girl with the curl in the nursery rhyme - when she wass good she was very, very, good, but when she wass bad, she was horrid. I hope he had enough fun last night to want to do it again and again and again. Too bad we have to run into the buzz saw that is Orlando for the next game. They will be hard to beat. Would have been nice to have a mediocre team to beat up on for the next one. Oh well - maybe the guys will surprise us.

Nice to see Ellington back on the floor - and doing so well.

Poor Flynn - feel sorry for him. He is trying too hard and that makes him play worse. He needs to relax and realize that he has to learn to play without compensating for the injury. He has to take it slow and easy and learn a slightly new way of playing now that he is healthy.
The Hard Truth

Northome, MN

#7 Jan 14, 2011
That stretch at the end of the game can do wonders for a team. Somewhere, in their collective DNA, is now the memory of what they can do and how it is done.

A few thoughts:

Is there a goofier, more impossible to comprehend, basketball player than Corey Brewer? Someone in a post somewhere once said he plays like he's riding a unicycle, and I can't say it better.

It starts to look like we have a whole bunch of interchangeable B+ parts in Wes, Ellington, and a few of the others. Either exploit this, as we did last night, or change it by getting rid of a few of them for something of value (a point guard?).

Jonny Flynn is almost tragic.

It is unnerving when the team does so well without Beasley. I don't know what it means, and I hope it's an anomaly.

Maybe Kurt and the players are getting it. Maybe it's the B+ guys who are fighting for playing time and not for stats that makes this go.

Darko, Darko. Get an ornery streak. Sadly, white boy Euro skill ball doesn't work in a league where contact is as frequent and violent and tolerated as in the NFL. This is Black American street ball slightly toned down and raised to an institutional level. Better get with the program. If you do, you'll be something.

Kevin love appears to have wandered in from the 1950's. It will be a shame if he's not an all-star. Kudos to McHale for getting that one right.

Kahn's plan has merit, but it is all predicated on getting that last number on the power ball (Ricky Rubio). Better keep the fingers crossed.
Jerry B

Hudson, WI

#8 Jan 14, 2011
The Hard Truth wrote:
That stretch at the end of the game can do wonders for a team. Somewhere, in their collective DNA, is now the memory of what they can do and how it is done.
A few thoughts:
Is there a goofier, more impossible to comprehend, basketball player than Corey Brewer? Someone in a post somewhere once said he plays like he's riding a unicycle, and I can't say it better.
It starts to look like we have a whole bunch of interchangeable B+ parts in Wes, Ellington, and a few of the others. Either exploit this, as we did last night, or change it by getting rid of a few of them for something of value (a point guard?).
Jonny Flynn is almost tragic.
It is unnerving when the team does so well without Beasley. I don't know what it means, and I hope it's an anomaly.
Maybe Kurt and the players are getting it. Maybe it's the B+ guys who are fighting for playing time and not for stats that makes this go.
Darko, Darko. Get an ornery streak. Sadly, white boy Euro skill ball doesn't work in a league where contact is as frequent and violent and tolerated as in the NFL. This is Black American street ball slightly toned down and raised to an institutional level. Better get with the program. If you do, you'll be something.
Kevin love appears to have wandered in from the 1950's. It will be a shame if he's not an all-star. Kudos to McHale for getting that one right.
Kahn's plan has merit, but it is all predicated on getting that last number on the power ball (Ricky Rubio). Better keep the fingers crossed.
Your comment about looking good without Beasley, don't forget they were playing a horrible team who had lost 18 road games in row. Don't read to much into Beasley not being there. They'll need him against the better teams.
Tony Rozycki

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jan 14, 2011
Hard Truth - that's a very good one about Corey on his unicycle! We're all different. He got a lot of steals last night.
Robin Hood

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 14, 2011
Say what you will. The Wolves are definitely more entertaining this season, which is something we haven't said since Garnett left.
Tom

Upper Saddle River, NJ

#11 Jan 14, 2011
Flynn -- I am/was/may be again a supporter. But, he's struggling coming back. Al/Brew did, too. But, if Rubio is coming, a trade is in order if possible. Rubio (starter)/Ridnour (bench) would work anyway.

And Darko's crazy moves. We need more of those. They ignited the team. They must really like him. I do.
TimberWoes

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jan 14, 2011
Fun game to watch. Notice the lead <<POOF>> evaporated when Flynn came in? This is not a matter of "getting up to speed." Guy is awful. His 3 pointer before the half that failed to even hit BACKBOARD was the death knell. Get rid of him! Horrible! No lead is safe when he is in the game, and he's proven it again and agagin. Rubio is not even putting up impressive numbers in the Euro league. Really? Are we still betting on that experiment? Please, no!! He doesn't even want to play here, and I have NO respect for some punk kid complaining about $$ Millions $$ while others struggle. NBA caliber pros will wipe the floor with his scrawny frame.(Another con job the Woes fall victim to at the hands of a player's managers.)

Darko's move was great (and soooo lucky.) Reminded me of the kid that is waaay taller than everyone else and tries to play the same game as everyone else on the sandlot. How he got all that distance without getting stripped was an indictment of how BAD Washington is. Flip got lucky with Detroit. That much is clear.

C-Brew: all energy! Unicycle comment is so spot on. LOL! Cue the clown music. Keep it up young fella! Show these other young kids what EFFORT is all about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darko Milicic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk about Darko Milicic (Dec '11) Dec '11 frank 1
News Timberwolves fire Kurt Rambis after 2 years (Jul '11) Jul '11 Billy Ringo 3
News Yep, it's that time - road construction season (Apr '11) Apr '11 gman 22
News Timberwolves: Milicic offers title ring, NBA Fi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Vikings Fan 2
News Kevin Love hoping to stay with Timberwolves, Ra... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gardy 17
News Grizzlies hand Kevin Love-less Timberwolves the... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Timberwoes 7
News Timberwolves make it interesting but lose 'play... (Mar '11) Mar '11 The real just ano... 18
More from around the web