Timberwolves finally find success on road with 104-92 win in New Orleans

Full story: TwinCities.com

Kevin Love had 27 points and 17 rebounds, and the struggling Timberwolves maintained their surprising dominance of the playoff-contending New Orleans Hornets with a 104-92 victory Monday night.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Big Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 8, 2011
 
I'm not much of a Wolves fan, but it's nice to see Love doing well, especially since he often gave playing time up to Big Al 'I'm not going to hustle, jump, or give a rip' Jefferson last season. Kid finally gets a chance to show what he can do.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 8, 2011
 
Very nice road win!

I think the wolves need to shut Beasley down for two or three weeks. He is turning his ankle more easily each time. Last night it looked like he rolled it without even making contact with anyone.

Rambis is too kind when he says "John played well". Flynn threw a couple of passes that were so high that even Kareem couldn't have pulled them down. He also got into the lane a few times with no plan on what he was going to do when he got there, and turned the ball over. I think anytime your point guard has the same number of turnovers (6), as assists (6), that is not a good thing. In addition, Flynn played 35 minutes and was minus 3. Telfair played the other 13 minutes and was plus 15. Flynn is often a spectator on defense.

This was a nice team effort. Love played his usual strong inside game, Tolliver looked like Larry Bird strokin' the three ball, and there were other nice contributions from Pek, Beasley, and Ellington.

On the downside, Brewer, Darko, and Wes were pretty much nonfactors.
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 8, 2011
 
Nice to see the guys put it together. Writers and sportscasters seemed to think we played a depleted team with the Hornets missing two of their starters. Well, we were missing Darko for most of the game and Ridnour for all of it. I would think that evens things up.

Flynn doesn't look quite as lost as a few weeks ago, but still isn't back in last year's form. Hope it gets better soon. I wish I knew Rambis' reasoning on why he plays Telfair so little when he seems to be the better option.

We seem to follow up wins with lackadaisical games. Hope that doesn't happen tonight as we will probably need our A-game against the Rockets.

Go Wolves!
Jerry

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 8, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

It seems that KLOVES streak is more important to many people, including the media. If you don't think so look at column heading "Kevin Love gets his 37th straight double-double, Timberwolves top Hornets in New Orleans". Maybe for once the emphasis should be on the "Team", "The fact they won", "The fact it was a road win", etc. Not the first thing listed was KLOVES double-double. This thought process will hold the team down forever.
Hawkshaw

Inver Grove Heights, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 8, 2011
 

Judged:

1

What a terrible deal McHale made in trading Mayo for Love. At least that's what so many people were writing back then!
Jerry

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 8, 2011
 
Hawkshaw wrote:
What a terrible deal McHale made in trading Mayo for Love. At least that's what so many people were writing back then!
Hindsight is 20-20. I can honestly say I was in that crew you just discribed.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 8, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Hawkshaw wrote:
What a terrible deal McHale made in trading Mayo for Love. At least that's what so many people were writing back then!
I liked the deal, not because I thought Love would be an All-Star, but mostly because Mayo did not want to be here and Love did. Plus, we got rid of Jaric and his contract. I think this particular trade goes down as McHale's second greatest achievement, behind only the drafting of Garnett.
Jerry

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 8, 2011
 
fracas wrote:
<quoted text>
I liked the deal, not because I thought Love would be an All-Star, but mostly because Mayo did not want to be here and Love did. Plus, we got rid of Jaric and his contract. I think this particular trade goes down as McHale's second greatest achievement, behind only the drafting of Garnett.
I would agree, but can you name 2 more?
jogante

Port Orchard, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 8, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Darko needs to play basketball in a bubble. He's not able to protect himself from injury. The team needs a center who can physically train himself to play a full season. I have read stories about how Blake Griffin trains for strength in the sand. Wouldn't it be nice to send Darko and Kevin Love to something like that before next season. Love doesn't seem to be injury prone but he's not ready for 82 games. He's had a few that needed more effort. I'd like to see Dwight Howard biceps on these players next year.
Trent Dilfer

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 8, 2011
 
Wolvesfan wrote:
Nice to see the guys put it together. Writers and sportscasters seemed to think we played a depleted team with the Hornets missing two of their starters. Well, we were missing Darko for most of the game and Ridnour for all of it. I would think that evens things up.
You think playing without Darko and Ridnour is "even" with playing without Okafur and Ariza?
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 8, 2011
 
Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>I would agree, but can you name 2 more?
1) Garnett
2) Love trade
3) Reached Western Conference finals thanks to acquiring Cassell and Sprewell
4) Suckered Portland into trade for Rider and got a first round pick
Brad Johnson

Coeur D Alene, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 8, 2011
 
Trent Dilfer wrote:
<quoted text>
You think playing without Darko and Ridnour is "even" with playing without Okafur and Ariza?
I do....granted Okafor (not Okafur) is better than Darko but is a 10 & 10 guy and no more. Add to that, Ridnour is way better than Ariza. Ariza is the second most overrated NBA player in the league (Mo Williams is the first).
fracas

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 8, 2011
 
Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>I would agree, but can you name 2 more?
Now we are really scraping the bottom of the barrel, but how about trading a second round draft pick to Philly for Carney, another stiff (I think Cal Booth), and a future first.

Another one that wasn't too bad was getting Sprewell for always injured Terrell Brandon. There may have been a few other meaningless parts to this trade, I can't recall for sure.

But, what you imply is correct, in that there were a few horrible trades that really leave McHale with a legacy of ineptitude. The Cassell to San Diego for Jaric and the haunting first was one of the worst. They also gave KG away waaaay to cheaply. Szerbiak as well.
troll

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 8, 2011
 
Jerry wrote:
It seems that KLOVES streak is more important to many people, including the media. If you don't think so look at column heading "Kevin Love gets his 37th straight double-double, Timberwolves top Hornets in New Orleans". Maybe for once the emphasis should be on the "Team", "The fact they won", "The fact it was a road win", etc. Not the first thing listed was KLOVES double-double. This thought process will hold the team down forever.
This was the headline for the story on my page:
"Timberwolves finally find success on road with 104-92 win in New Orleans"
I get what you are saying, but the headline for this article doesn't say anything about Love.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 8, 2011
 
Jerry wrote:
It seems that KLOVES streak is more important to many people, including the media. If you don't think so look at column heading "Kevin Love gets his 37th straight double-double, Timberwolves top Hornets in New Orleans". Maybe for once the emphasis should be on the "Team", "The fact they won", "The fact it was a road win", etc. Not the first thing listed was KLOVES double-double. This thought process will hold the team down forever.
Yeah it's not like he just accomplished something only John Stockton and Kevin Garnett have done in the last 25 years. Let's put the focus on the team with the 12-39 record.
Hawkshaw

Inver Grove Heights, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 8, 2011
 
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Garnett
2) Love trade
3) Reached Western Conference finals thanks to acquiring Cassell and Sprewell
4) Suckered Portland into trade for Rider and got a first round pick
Interestingly the media has finally go on Garnett for his bad attitude; something he had here but the local media bent over backwards to cover up.
Matt45

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 8, 2011
 
Jerry wrote:
It seems that KLOVES streak is more important to many people, including the media. If you don't think so look at column heading "Kevin Love gets his 37th straight double-double, Timberwolves top Hornets in New Orleans". Maybe for once the emphasis should be on the "Team", "The fact they won", "The fact it was a road win", etc. Not the first thing listed was KLOVES double-double. This thought process will hold the team down forever.
I'm with you. Let's focus more on the team than the double-double streak. I don't think Wilt Chamberlain and Oscar Robertson (triple double average for a season) are blushing.
Jerry

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 8, 2011
 
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah it's not like he just accomplished something only John Stockton and Kevin Garnett have done in the last 25 years. Let's put the focus on the team with the 12-39 record.
I have coached for many years, and it has been very obvious to me that you put the team before anyones individual goals. That's why offensive lineman are so important but unnoticed. If you want to pay $400 for ticket to watch an NBA game, I would hope that the goal is for that team to win, and not care if someone scored 50 points. It is really demeaning to other players on a team to hear, "Yeah we lost, but Kevin got another double-double". If that double-double was why a team won, more power to that individual. Currently there is way too much emphasis put on KLove, and not enough on getting the team to the next level.

I cannot believe a true sports fan would think otherwise!
Jerry

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 8, 2011
 
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Garnett
2) Love trade
3) Reached Western Conference finals thanks to acquiring Cassell and Sprewell
4) Suckered Portland into trade for Rider and got a first round pick
So you want McHale back?
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 8, 2011
 
Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>So you want McHale back?
You asked for two more. I gave you two more. But hey, why not jump to conclusions instead?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Darko Milicic Discussions

Search the Darko Milicic Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk about Darko Milicic (Dec '11) Dec '11 frank 1
Timberwolves fire Kurt Rambis after 2 years (Jul '11) Jul '11 Billy Ringo 3
Yep, it's that time - road construction season (Apr '11) Apr '11 gman 22
Timberwolves: Milicic offers title ring, NBA Fi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Vikings Fan 2
Kevin Love hoping to stay with Timberwolves, Ra... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gardy 17
Grizzlies hand Kevin Love-less Timberwolves the... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Timberwoes 7
Timberwolves make it interesting but lose 'play... (Mar '11) Mar '11 The real just another day 18
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••