Tom Powers: Timberwolves suddenly look downright average

Darko Milicic, Martell Webster, Michael Beasley, Luke Ridnour ... average, average, average, average. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bill

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jul 13, 2010
"downright average"??? That would be huge step up. They are pitiful.
Tim

El Paso, TX

#2 Jul 13, 2010
How does Tom Powers have a job. What a terrible article. Basing opinions on players after a year or two of pro experience. Tom obviously doesn't understand most good players aren't good right away. People need to allow these high draft picks to play and learn for a couple years and then formulate an opinion if they are good or not.
Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jul 13, 2010
Powers is trying to be clever. Sorry -- you're not clever, just downright AVERAGE.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dick

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 13, 2010
I think Kahn is SO insistant on getting rid of ALL the players that he didn't draft or trade for that he's willing to throw the team under the bus to achieve his objective. I don't know if we'll be as bad as last year but we won't be far ahead. Why can't he trade for players that fit the system being played? Even Rubeo is not that type of player. I think after this season, Kahn and Rambus will have one more season then it'll be time for a change; again! But for all these "average" players, we have a payroll that's way too high.
markjr

Cottage Grove, MN

#5 Jul 13, 2010
sorry tom powers you are a complete moron!!! how do you even have a job? Beasely is not average by any means....he needs to flourish in a better environment that doesnt have the nazi named pat riley and a star player who doesnt like you (looking at you wade). Beasely has potential to reach carmelo skills from what ive personally seen....Also how is Kevin Love average? He will get you double doubles every game as well as give you great basketball IQ and passing skills on the floor. Really the only thing average at this point might be darko but now that hes given a real chance at a starting role and will be in shape when coming to camp I predict him to exceed a lot of idiotic journalists. Really Im sick of reading these journalists who dont know shit about the twolves. I honestly feel bad for kahn for dealing with the constant insults from these idiots. Kahn if you are reading this you are doing a fine job. You have only been given a year and you turn this team around for the better while increasing salary cap space and giving us draft picks for the future. I believe our team will at least double are wins this year from last which is a great feet in itself. Good luck this year!!!!!
Umm

South Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jul 13, 2010
Kahn is trying to implement a new Euro type of style similar to what D'antoni did in Phoenix. Athletic and versatile players who can run the floor and play good defense. This is all focused around Rubio who hopefully will come over so yes, Rubio is the definition of "that player". If you need more proof go watch Spain's games of the '08 summer olympics.
Hazen

United States

#7 Jul 13, 2010
The Wolves are trying to get the type of talent that can fit better into Rambis' system. Also, the extra draft picks will come in handy as they still owe a couple of teams choices from previous trades. While Powers was trying to be "cute" in his article, he does make a legitimate point. If the Wolves become less of a doormat as a result, Kahn's moves will go a long way toward making the team somewhat relevant in this market again.
What the F

Big Lake, MN

#8 Jul 13, 2010
AVERAGE ??? none of the players you mentioned in the 1st line of the story are close to being AVERAGE .... Love is average the rest of the compilation of players is garbage or scraps from other teams ....and then Kahn trades his best player for 2 draft picks that will be at the end of the first round so that's just a crap shoot .... HELL , Kahn can't even pick a decent guy when he get's a pick in the top 5 how's he gonna get one at say #30 .... this Kahn is the joke of the NBA
TopGunn

Superior, WI

#9 Jul 13, 2010
You want AVERAGE?? Jeez, I'd settle for an average column from Mr. Powers. This was below average. I give it a "D." In fact, the slur on people from Serbia (what do they do over there, grow potatoes?) moves the grade to an "F."
Is there no editorial oversight at the Star & Sickle?
stend

Green Isle, MN

#10 Jul 13, 2010
what the f--- did u watch any wolves basketball last year????????? Big AL is a horrible defender!! The wolves are making strides.. the team can't get any worse. We have some good young talent and give them some time to develop. Kahn is way better than McFail has ever done. Give Kahn some time he has been there a year!!
What the F

Big Lake, MN

#11 Jul 13, 2010
stend wrote:
what the f--- did u watch any wolves basketball last year????????? Big AL is a horrible defender!! The wolves are making strides.. the team can't get any worse. We have some good young talent and give them some time to develop. Kahn is way better than McFail has ever done. Give Kahn some time he has been there a year!!
NOBODY on that team plays defense .... Love is just as bad or even worse than Jefferson .... Flynn was maybe the worst defender on the whole team and worst of all the PG's in the league.... they are making NO strides .... unless you count backwards strides .... learn a little about the game instead of posting homer garbage .... every player the Woofies have received in a trade are garbage off the other teams .... under-performing , under-achieving , immature , head cases , drug problems ,draft flops, etc ....all the NBA GM's and tv analysts laugh at what the Woofies do and wonder what in the world they(CONman) are actually trying to accomplish .... but the basketball wizard you are claims the CONman has something special brewing .... enjoy the season
What the F

Big Lake, MN

#12 Jul 13, 2010
stend wrote:
and I never mentioned big al in my post so why are you talking about big al
stend

Green Isle, MN

#13 Jul 13, 2010
hey i will enjoy it bud!!!!
What the F

Big Lake, MN

#14 Jul 13, 2010
stend wrote:
hey i will enjoy it bud!!!!
keep guzzling the kool aid pal.... at least the Woofies management has a couple idiots that believe in them .... HELL, they'll have plenty of free ticket hand outs and empty seats so you can probably even sit next to your pal CONman and schmooze all night about how great his moves are....as they are getting pummeled by 40
FMC651

Eau Claire, WI

#15 Jul 13, 2010
Powers you bite. The league is pushing to be average. It sux now.
what the h

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jul 13, 2010
what is with the timberwolves and dumb moves. why would they trade away there best asset for just two late first round picks? why is it when he makes a good move like getting beasly for practically nothing he goes and gives away his best asset for practically nothing? I just don't get what he is doing. what a dumb gm at least kevin mcfail was able to pull of one good trade.
Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jul 13, 2010
Last year they were unwatchable. The first year that I would say that. I've enjoyed even some of the crappy years. Well, we've been crappy most years actually.... I do think Kahn is working hard to put a good competitive team together. I would have chosen differently in the 2 drafts if it was my choice. But, I don't have that big a problem with them.(Rubio was a smart value choice in a weak draft.) I hated to give up on Al for our team.-- we need talent upgrades thru-out the team and he has some unique talents. But I also see why he didn't fit with the scheme we are using. Most of us would have liked to have seen him moved in a trade for a similar level talent in the form of a shooting guard. That way we would instantly know that we got value for him. I am going to wait and see what Kahn will do as a follow up and judge the situation as we go. Kahn has been agressive and he knows how to work the numbers --- let's just hope he and Rambis and the rest of the consultants are good evaluators of talent and their potential. I know fans are tired of being patient, but we really don't have much choice. Let's give Kahn some time. Go Wolves!
Tingly

Fond Du Lac, WI

#18 Jul 14, 2010
And, we all get tingly thinking that someday you might become an intelligent sports writer instead of a lout.
Rodney

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 14, 2010
I am not sure what it takes to become a writer for the Pioneer Press but if someone can write dogcrap like this and get paid for it I want a chance too. If it is so easy being a GM of a Professional Basketball team Tom why aren't you doing it?
Average is good

Thompson Falls, MT

#20 Jul 14, 2010
Fun to watch is also good. If they can go into a game with a even win-loss record and win half those games, win most of the games agains the bottom half and win a few with the top teams, they will be fun to watch. Too many games last year were lost before they hit the floor. This team will do better than that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darko Milicic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk about Darko Milicic (Dec '11) Dec '11 frank 1
Timberwolves fire Kurt Rambis after 2 years (Jul '11) Jul '11 Billy Ringo 3
Yep, it's that time - road construction season (Apr '11) Apr '11 gman 22
Timberwolves: Milicic offers title ring, NBA Fi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Vikings Fan 2
Kevin Love hoping to stay with Timberwolves, Ra... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gardy 17
Grizzlies hand Kevin Love-less Timberwolves the... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Timberwoes 7
Timberwolves make it interesting but lose 'play... (Mar '11) Mar '11 The real just ano... 18
More from around the web