No Love lost this time for Timberwolv...

No Love lost this time for Timberwolves as defense keys first win of season

There are 4 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 29, 2010, titled No Love lost this time for Timberwolves as defense keys first win of season. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Let's get this out of the way right now: Kevin Love played in the fourth quarter Friday night at Target Center against Milwaukee, for six minutes and 45 seconds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

fracas

Tucson, AZ

#1 Oct 30, 2010
Nice win, as the Wolves pretty much killed the Bucks on the boards. Darko was absolutely superb on defense but needs to find his shot. Corey Brewer has completely lost his confidence and probably will see Johnson, and eventually Webster, take virtually all of his minutes. Ridnour is the PG even when Flynn returns. Does this make Rubio expendable?

Johnson does not look like a rookie with only two games under his belt. He does not hesitate to take the shot when the shot is there, but by the same token, he quickly moves the ball when the ball needs to be moved. He almost posterized his second victim in two games if not for getting fouled shortly after launch.

Beasley, meanwhile, threw down a vicious putback that should be on Sportscenter today. If B easy can stay motivated on both ends of the court he could be an All Star.

Love is a hard working beast. Most of those rebounds were contested, unlike a lot of the garbage, missed free throw rebounds that KG used to pick up while padding stats.
good start

Asheville, NC

#2 Oct 30, 2010
My hope is this team will be mature enough to understand the reason they won this game was because of defensive effort. Lots of playing time for anyone who played defense. Brewer, despite his poor shooting was very good on the defensive end. That will a should earn him playing time, particularly because Webster's not really know as a defensive player.
Ridnour is not a special player, he's a very good backup guard and we have yet to see Flynn contribut to this years offense. Rubio will not be expendable.
Beasley's attitude was much better in this game and his outfit was much more tame last night. better.

Wes is the man, plain and simple. He runs the floor like a deer, jumps and finishes, has a pretty stroke from the arc and can close on a shooter. He looks like he has the pieces to be the Wolves best player, ever.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#3 Oct 30, 2010
good start wrote:
My hope is this team will be mature enough to understand the reason they won this game was because of defensive effort. Lots of playing time for anyone who played defense. Brewer, despite his poor shooting was very good on the defensive end. That will a should earn him playing time, particularly because Webster's not really know as a defensive player.
Ridnour is not a special player, he's a very good backup guard and we have yet to see Flynn contribut to this years offense. Rubio will not be expendable.
Beasley's attitude was much better in this game and his outfit was much more tame last night. better.
Wes is the man, plain and simple. He runs the floor like a deer, jumps and finishes, has a pretty stroke from the arc and can close on a shooter. He looks like he has the pieces to be the Wolves best player, ever.
Umm...Webster was the guy that Portland put on Kobe because he IS, IN FACT, a good defender. You are correct that Ridnour is not a special player, but he is better than Flynn, and for that matter, better than roughly one third to one half of the PG's currently starting for NBA teams. He runs the offense well, puts effort into defense, rebounds the ball well, and is a reliable shooter. Flynn, at this point in his career, is worse in all four regards.

Have you watched Rubio play? The kid is a decent (although gambling) defender, and exciting passer, but shoots about as well as Brewer, and is pretty deferential on offense. Sure, he will probably get better in time, but he is far from NBA ready. If Rubio was a big man he would be saddled with the "project" description.

My we have a short memory. I seem to recall KG being pretty good, so I doubt Wes supplants KG as the franchise's best player ever. Having said that, Wes is the real deal, mature well beyond his experience level, and exciting to watch.

By the way, what outfit of Beasley's are you talking about, and why would it make any difference anyway?
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

#4 Oct 30, 2010
As I posted last night - I think we got pretty lucky in getting Ridnour. At the moment, we need him and I can only see him doing great things in our future. He certainly seems invested in this team, even though he was traded here - with probably no say in the decision. I hated him when he played against us and seemed to light us up every time for at least 20+ points. Now I love him!

I thought Webster made a great point during an interview last night. This team needs the unqualified support of the fans - win or lose - and there will be both of those to celebrate and suffer through this year. Over-analyzing and criticizing them will only hurt, not help. They are still young, and probably not too thick-skinned yet. Let's show a little love (no pun intended). Go Wolves - let's show the Heat we can contend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darko Milicic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk about Darko Milicic (Dec '11) Dec '11 frank 1
News Timberwolves fire Kurt Rambis after 2 years (Jul '11) Jul '11 Billy Ringo 3
News Yep, it's that time - road construction season (Apr '11) Apr '11 gman 22
News Timberwolves: Milicic offers title ring, NBA Fi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Vikings Fan 2
News Kevin Love hoping to stay with Timberwolves, Ra... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gardy 17
News Grizzlies hand Kevin Love-less Timberwolves the... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Timberwoes 7
News Timberwolves make it interesting but lose 'play... (Mar '11) Mar '11 The real just ano... 18
More from around the web