Timberwolves 112, Rockets 108: Second...

Timberwolves 112, Rockets 108: Second win in two nights doubles season win total on road

There are 27 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 8, 2011, titled Timberwolves 112, Rockets 108: Second win in two nights doubles season win total on road. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Kevin Love set a Minnesota record with his 38th consecutive double-double, scoring 20 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in the Timberwolves' 112-108 victory over the Houston Rockets on Tuesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wolvesfan

Owatonna, MN

#1 Feb 8, 2011
Great game! Certainly kept one on edge. I was afraid of the end of the game collapse which we have seen so often this year, but it never happened! Instead, they took command and made shots and got stops and rebounds. Wow!

Two wins in a row is nice - 38 double-doubles in a row is just plain sick! Kevin Love is phenomenal - He was playing tonight with the flu and still went off for 20 and 14.

I was criticized last night for comparing Darko and Luke to Okafor and Ariza of the Hornets. Well - tonight we played without those two, plus Beasley, and what do you know... we won this one too.

REst up and go take it to the Pacers! Go Wolves!!!
STP

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Feb 9, 2011
He's able to expend all that focus and energy on getting his points and rebounds because he doesn't play defense. Garnet played defense, he wasn't clutch but he blocked shots, defended, and if he was near the basket the rebound was his, all the while averaging nearly a double-double on a nightly basis. If Love starts playing some defense with what he's doing now, then it'd be even better.
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

#3 Feb 9, 2011
STP - I can see you are a "glass half full" guy. Garnett didn't do all that his first few years either. Love is just srarting his 3rd year. How about cutting him some slack?
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#4 Feb 9, 2011
Kevin Love was a little annoyed when he glanced at the scoreboard in the second half of Tuesday's game and realized he was still short of his usual doubledouble. His response was to push Wes Johnson out of the way for another rebound. Nothing can get in the way of Love's stats. If he has to he will score for the other team to get the thing in overtime so he can get another double double.
conservative observations

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 9, 2011
Great accomplishment for Love. Too bad that he is saddled with Developmental League players as team mates and probably always will be if the team's efforts continue to satisfy the owner's business plan for the team.
Mondak

Pomona, CA

#6 Feb 9, 2011
Bottom line: The Wolves kept playing hard on every possession. That's worth a lot of wins. They were relentless. Get some good sleep, Kurt; you look like you've been worrying too much. Some of us out here really appreciate what you've done for the Wolves. At times they look like they could beat anybody.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#7 Feb 9, 2011
Fun game to watch, as it has been most of the year. Yes, there have been a lot of frustrating losses as this team gave away winnable games, but all in all, a lot of competitive games.

I have been really hard on Flynn, but it appears he is getting a bit of quickness back. He still makes some horrible passes, as well as decisions, but the bad plays are becoming fewer and fewer. Maybe he will turn out to be a starting caliber point guard yet.

Bassy played well again, and Ellington was absolutely superb on offense and defense. Pek and Koufos did all you could ask.

It is interesting to me how much better the team played the last few nights without Darko, Beasley, and Ridnour. Ridnour has no real future here as he is the oldest of the three PG's. I wonder if he might be traded by the trade deadline?

Nice win, nice effort. Keep up the winning ways. We would either get screwed in the lottery, or choose the wrong player, anyway, so we might as well win.

Where is "just another day in loserville" when the wolves are winning? Show up and eat crow dude.
Hazen

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 9, 2011
Despite the record, the Wolves have definitely been much more entertaining than they've been in a long while. Hopefully, some of that young talent will continue to mature and, with some moves, they could be pretty good.

(I know given their history, that might be a pipe dream, but they are starting to offer the one thing that they haven't done in years....offer hope for the future.)
Hawkshaw

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Feb 9, 2011
STP wrote:
He's able to expend all that focus and energy on getting his points and rebounds because he doesn't play defense. Garnet played defense, he wasn't clutch but he blocked shots, defended, and if he was near the basket the rebound was his, all the while averaging nearly a double-double on a nightly basis. If Love starts playing some defense with what he's doing now, then it'd be even better.
Garnett was not a team player...he was all about Garnett! That being said he didn't want the ball during crunch time because he didn't want to be criticized for missing a winning shot. He complained about management not getting additional players while unwilling to restructure his contract to allow the T-wolves to get more players. He fought with the white players on the team and was angry and moody. Other than that he was a good player.

Since: Feb 11

Valdosta, GA

#10 Feb 9, 2011
Go Wolves!!!
hmmm

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Feb 9, 2011
Wow. Barely eeked that win out. Flynn going to the hole with so much time left was utterly stupid on his part. That nearly lost it right there. I just laughed when Love missed the FT to put it out of reach, and then rattled home the winner. Never a dull moment with this team. Houston gave this one to us. Anyone see the differential in turnovers? 16 for the Wolves I believe, again,-POINT GUARDS!

It is interesting they are winning with their "best" players out. Makes you wonder what Rambis sees in some of the "starters." Not sure if his foot kept him out, but Telfair is clearly our best PG. Ellington should be playing every night. I'm always impressed by his energy and skill set. Nice to see our 2 other backup centers putting in some good minutes. Darko gives you some blocks each night, but he gives you a lot of TO's too.
hmmm

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Feb 9, 2011
By the way, Garnett has never been a "lock down" defender. Never. He knows how to play D, but one on one, he rarely stopped anyone. He's great at help defense. Saying Love should be more like KG is overlooking the fact KG was never really all that great on D by himself. Only when his offensive role was lessened thanks to more help around him in Boston, did his defense elevate as he could expend more energy on it. Love can't do it all himself, so stop whining about his D.
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

#13 Feb 9, 2011
I can';t help wondering where the negativity toward Love is ocming from. He is the best player on the team and certainly seems to be a team player to me - and I watch a lot of basketball. Coaches and players all have good things to say about him and his game. I'm wondering who Elvis and STP are and how qualified they are to judge him so harshly. If he weren't fighting for rebounds and making big shots, and doing nothing more than passing the ball to others - i'm sure they would be griping about that too.

Let's just enjoy him and the team for what they are and what they are doing. None of them have been arrested, none of them have pouted or been moody. From the top to the bottom of the roster, they have done nothing but practiced hard, played hard, listened to their ocaches, and been a boon to the community through their charity work. What more do you want from a group of very young men. When I hear about the behavior of some of the other young guys in the NBA (check out Mayo's latest mess), I am thankful we have the kind of players we have. They may not be superstars - yet - but they put a good game out there almost every night and I don't see one that could be labeled a "thug."

I am enjoying every minute of this season and hope for better things in the future. The wins will come. GO WOLVES!
Tpups

Coeur D Alene, ID

#14 Feb 9, 2011
Wolvesfan wrote:
I can';t help wondering where the negativity toward Love is ocming from. He is the best player on the team and certainly seems to be a team player to me - and I watch a lot of basketball. Coaches and players all have good things to say about him and his game. I'm wondering who Elvis and STP are and how qualified they are to judge him so harshly. If he weren't fighting for rebounds and making big shots, and doing nothing more than passing the ball to others - i'm sure they would be griping about that too.
Let's just enjoy him and the team for what they are and what they are doing. None of them have been arrested, none of them have pouted or been moody. From the top to the bottom of the roster, they have done nothing but practiced hard, played hard, listened to their ocaches, and been a boon to the community through their charity work. What more do you want from a group of very young men. When I hear about the behavior of some of the other young guys in the NBA (check out Mayo's latest mess), I am thankful we have the kind of players we have. They may not be superstars - yet - but they put a good game out there almost every night and I don't see one that could be labeled a "thug."
I am enjoying every minute of this season and hope for better things in the future. The wins will come. GO WOLVES!
Good Post
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#15 Feb 9, 2011
Tpups wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Post
Love is a gold bricker. If he was on the celtics he wouldn't get any minutes since they actually play defense on that team. Love is perfectly happy to step aside and let a guy go around him so he can get a rebound. he will shoot 30 to 40 times if he has to, just to get those 10 points and he can get a double double. It is also probable that he has communist ties.
Art McDonald

United States

#16 Feb 9, 2011
After 20+ years of almost total failure by the Wolves UPPER management and owner, it finally appears to me that the Wolves are slowly, but surely, playing like they belong in the NBA. They are still a long way from the top, but showing some progress. I'm actually considering buying a ticket or two for the first time in a number of years.
DD Austin

Memphis, TN

#17 Feb 9, 2011
The only stats that matter is WINS! All the individual stats is only for the individual and their ego! Nothing more - nothing less! Garbage sports so called journalism!
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

#18 Feb 9, 2011
Thank you, TPups.

DD Austin - Without some individuals putting up some numbers, there will be no wins. I have not seen any disturbing signs of ego in Love or Beasley - and if they didn't have SOME ego, they wouldn't have made it to the NBA. And I disagree with the philosophy that the only thing that matters is wins. Wins are nice, but not everyone can win all the time. Wouldn't be much of a game if they did. Someone has to lose - just ask the Steelers.
timberwoes

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Feb 9, 2011
Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Love is a gold bricker. If he was on the celtics he wouldn't get any minutes since they actually play defense on that team. Love is perfectly happy to step aside and let a guy go around him so he can get a rebound. he will shoot 30 to 40 times if he has to, just to get those 10 points and he can get a double double. It is also probable that he has communist ties.
Who ARE you people? What was Battier held to last night? 5 points?(STILL not good enough!) Scola had a pedestrian night for him with 20+ and some boards (their "best" player.)

Oh, but Kevin Love is the "problem." Kevin Love "doesn't play D."
Watch a game and maybe you'll see that he is our best player, without a doubt, and being mentioned in the same breath as Moses Malone is a COMPLIMENT if you didn't watch him play either. Good grief.
timberwoes

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Feb 9, 2011
Wolvesfan wrote:
Thank you, TPups.
DD Austin - Without some individuals putting up some numbers, there will be no wins. I have not seen any disturbing signs of ego in Love or Beasley - and if they didn't have SOME ego, they wouldn't have made it to the NBA. And I disagree with the philosophy that the only thing that matters is wins. Wins are nice, but not everyone can win all the time. Wouldn't be much of a game if they did. Someone has to lose - just ask the Steelers.
The Steelers made it to the championship. I would be very happy if the Timberwoes made it to a .500 record for a season at this point for pete's sake. Don't give Taylor the idea this indefinite "rebuilding" is going to keep people in the seats. All the teams we have made trades with HAVE improved. Coincidence? Boston, Memphis, etc. Even the Clippers are benefactors of our organization's ineptitude. Be afraid when we start swapping players with Cleveland in a two way deal!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darko Milicic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Talk about Darko Milicic (Dec '11) Dec '11 frank 1
News Timberwolves fire Kurt Rambis after 2 years (Jul '11) Jul '11 Billy Ringo 3
News Yep, it's that time - road construction season (Apr '11) Apr '11 gman 22
News Timberwolves: Milicic offers title ring, NBA Fi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Vikings Fan 2
News Kevin Love hoping to stay with Timberwolves, Ra... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gardy 17
News Grizzlies hand Kevin Love-less Timberwolves the... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Timberwoes 7
News Timberwolves make it interesting but lose 'play... (Mar '11) Mar '11 The real just ano... 18
More from around the web