Another loss leaves Pacers on defensive

Another loss leaves Pacers on defensive

There are 44 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 24, 2008, titled Another loss leaves Pacers on defensive. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Whether they play big or small, whether they shoot well or not, the Indiana Pacers have an issue that remains consistent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
george

Milwaukee, WI

#1 Jan 24, 2008
ho hum
bing55

Winchester, KY

#2 Jan 24, 2008
Play offs? Did anyone say playoffs???
Maxx

Pineville, LA

#3 Jan 24, 2008
Until they get some players who want to win, this pattern will not stop.
Until, certain players actually commit themselves to winning games instead of letting their own selfish interests and dumb lifestyles get in the way. This team will continue to be mediocre at best.
Still hanging in there

Florence, KY

#4 Jan 24, 2008
The Pacers defensive woes start on the perimeter. They can't stop anybody from penetrating. They should trade JO for a solid 1 or 2 guard.?@#, I forgot, Jermaine is now untradeable.
Jim Mora

Cumberland, MD

#5 Jan 24, 2008
Play offs? Don't talk to me about playoffs. Are you kidding me, playoffs?
Not equipped for defense

Cumberland, MD

#6 Jan 24, 2008
The Pacers perimeter defense is terrible and will continue to be terrible if the current players are kept. Tinsley is chubby and does not try on defense. Dunleavy can run a 40 yard dash in just under an hour. If Kareem's shot is not falling he is not going to play defense.
It is time for Larry Bird to admit to himself that the roster he put together is terrible and needs to be blown up. He needs to start making trades to dump salary so he can be in a position in the off season to draft well and sign a good free agent or two.
Clown hater

Erlanger, KY

#7 Jan 24, 2008
It all starts with attitude and character and that is in short supply on the court and in the front office of YOUR INDIANA PACEEEEERS.

We are the new LA Clippers. Way to go, guys.
james

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jan 24, 2008
Everyone talks trade, trade, trade, but you are not listening the only one anyone wants is Granger,This mess was caused by poor management in the first place putting money and long term contracts on players that had moderate potential.Folks this is going to be your Indiana Pacers for at least a couple of more years so get used to it. GO COLTS and lets hope they don't fall into this same trap that Bird and Walsh have doomed the Pacers to.

Since: Jan 08

Frankfort, IN

#9 Jan 24, 2008
Most NBA players are hard-to-guard at the offensive end. That's a big part of the reason they got there in the 1st place. Having said that, defense is as much about effort as it is about athletic ability. It doesn't appear to me that the Pacers players take any pride in their effort at the defensive end. If I were an opponent, I would relish the opportunity to play against the Pacers. Last night it seemed that the Bulls players just knew that if they made an aggressive move to the basket, they'd be rewarded.
The good news is that effort can be fixed, whereas talent is God-given. Jeff Foster is probably the least-talented player on the roster, with limited offensive skills, but he helps the team win with his effort, defense and rebounding. Unfortunately, you can't win games in the NBA with 5 Jeff Fosters on the floor.(ya gotta score more than 40 points to win).
Perhaps Coach O'Brien will begin to divvy up playing time based on the effort given at the defensive end. That MAY mean playing Marquis Daniels at the point, because I don't see either Tinsley or Diener as anything other than a liability on D. As for the rest of the guys, defense is about moving your feet, and "want-to"; so if you "want-to" play, move your freakin' feet!!!
This Pacer roster is as deep as any I can remember; surely Coach O can find 5-8 players who know what it takes, and "want-to" win.
Tom

AOL

#10 Jan 24, 2008
Did someone hypnotize the Pacers and tell them the painted areas at both ends of the court are restricted zones and they must not go there?

Since: Jan 08

Frankfort, IN

#11 Jan 24, 2008
Clown hater wrote:
It all starts with attitude and character and that is in short supply on the court and in the front office of YOUR INDIANA PACEEEEERS.
We are the new LA Clippers. Way to go, guys.
I made the comment to some basketball buddies last year that I thought that Larry Bird had the ability to join another Hall-of-Famer (Elgin Baylor) as a co-star on an annual televised event. That event is the NBA Draft Lottery. Elgin is a fixture; is Larry headed in that direction?
supercolts

Chicago, IL

#12 Jan 24, 2008
I watched that whole game until the end when the Bulls went up by like 15...can I get those 2hrs back?? Those players looked like they not only could play D but didnt want to play D
pacerfanomore

Hazelwood, MO

#13 Jan 24, 2008
The pacers STINK!!!!!!!!!! I don't want my kids watching them because all they are is a bunch of gun shooting, pot smoking, overpaid thugs. What kind of role model can you see in any of these pacers? The only Pacer who has a chance is Granger. He seems to be the only 1 player that cares. O'neal needs to be traded as does Tinsley and we won't even mention the stupidity of Harrrison. It's a shame cause I was once a season tix holder, but I can't see wasting any $ on a mediocre team headed for the lottery.
APJ

Duncan, OK

#14 Jan 24, 2008
Maxx wrote:
Until they get some players who want to win, this pattern will not stop.
Until, certain players actually commit themselves to winning games instead of letting their own selfish interests and dumb lifestyles get in the way. This team will continue to be mediocre at best.
Well said, although most of the guys (8 or 9 out of 12) are not messing around off the court. This was a bad loss. It's GREAT that JO is out and makes us a better team, but why won't Obrien play Diogu? We have no size, and though Foster is a warrior, he cannot go more than 25 mins. This team is truly in disarray, and just as bad as last year. Tinsely has gone from potential all star to a bum shooting 5% from 3 pt range this month, under 40% from the field again overall. He could not start on most teams.
APJ

Duncan, OK

#15 Jan 24, 2008
pacerfanomore wrote:
The pacers STINK!!!!!!!!!! I don't want my kids watching them because all they are is a bunch of gun shooting, pot smoking, overpaid thugs. What kind of role model can you see in any of these pacers? The only Pacer who has a chance is Granger. He seems to be the only 1 player that cares. O'neal needs to be traded as does Tinsley and we won't even mention the stupidity of Harrrison. It's a shame cause I was once a season tix holder, but I can't see wasting any $ on a mediocre team headed for the lottery.
You're right. No one cares. Though, again, Jackson is gone and so it's basically Tinsley and maybe Daniels or Williams in trouble. Dunleavy, Murphy, Granger, et al are not causing trouble. I'd worry about ON the court. Plenty of NFL teams have thugs and win. The media just ignores the NFL problems b/c they make $.
Come ON

Duncan, OK

#16 Jan 24, 2008
They can't defend Carmel...Might win 30 games..

REALITY BITES...Trade those slow over-rated players: Murphy, Dunleavy, Tinsley, Oneal: my fault trade the whole Team....
Mr Obvious

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jan 24, 2008
Well, let me be the first to say... ARE ANY OF YOU SUPRISED ?!

This team has no players to build around, a coach who is about as imaginative as a wet fart, veteran players who are more concerned with chasing skirt and the entire team lacks a visible desire to win...

Look at Joakhim Noah, sure he is a tool, but he plays hard...name one guy on the pacers team who plays that hard. The sad thing is the Bulls are going to trade away the majority of their team for a point guard and a big man who can score...

How about we package JO and Tinsley for Gordon, Wallace and Noccioni...Noccioni and Gordon are set to be free agents, so at the very least we would have a ton of cap space to make a splash in free agency, that is if we can't extend them long-term which is the only thing Larry Bird has done in his tenure (long term contracts)...
Fred Garvin MP

Spencer, IN

#18 Jan 24, 2008
pacerfanomore wrote:
You are an idiot! Quit lumping everyone together. I bet you do the same thing with races and religious groups too.
oldady

Freetown, IN

#19 Jan 24, 2008
Well when you have people like Hinrich playing the way he did and we not having Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley being sick, not up to par, it is hard to win. But we gave them a run for their money. Tonight is another night another game. Hang in there, shake off last night and play ball. It was good to see David back. I just pray he sticks with the program and learns from his mistakes.

Tonight come out like you never have before. Jamaal get you some Echinacea. It is an Herb that will help build up your immune system. It is great stuff. You can get it at Wal-Mart for around $9.00 for 250 capsules. I guarantee you will not have your colds, flu etc as bad and perhaps not at all after your system has been built back up.
APJ

Duncan, OK

#20 Jan 24, 2008
Mr Obvious wrote:
Well, let me be the first to say... ARE ANY OF YOU SUPRISED ?!
This team has no players to build around, a coach who is about as imaginative as a wet fart, veteran players who are more concerned with chasing skirt and the entire team lacks a visible desire to win...
Look at Joakhim Noah, sure he is a tool, but he plays hard...name one guy on the pacers team who plays that hard. The sad thing is the Bulls are going to trade away the majority of their team for a point guard and a big man who can score...
How about we package JO and Tinsley for Gordon, Wallace and Noccioni...Noccioni and Gordon are set to be free agents, so at the very least we would have a ton of cap space to make a splash in free agency, that is if we can't extend them long-term which is the only thing Larry Bird has done in his tenure (long term contracts)...
Jeff Foster plays hard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danny Granger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News George leads Pacers to 91-84 win over Raptors (Nov '13) Nov '13 Duck Afflis 1
News Steve Nash trade rumors: Indiana Pacers trade c... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Javier 1
News Pacers aim to bounce back against Wizards (Mar '12) Mar '12 jovannycarrillo 1
News NBA Draft 2011: Hometown Kid George Hill, Futur... (Jun '11) Jul '11 Do tell 3
News Indiana Pacers' Danny Granger (left) goes up fo... (Apr '11) Jun '11 Raygay Trannie 2
News Albuquerque team wins title at Battle of Border (Mar '10) Apr '11 Coach City 29
News Pacers: Rose gets too many calls (Apr '11) Apr '11 Herbjr0120 1
More from around the web