Shooting spree good for Pacers

Shooting spree good for Pacers

There are 43 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Shooting spree good for Pacers. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

All Travis Diener could say was "wow." Andre Owens, getting dressed several lockers away, yelled out, "Is that a record?" The shooting percentage didn't blow anybody away, but the Indiana Pacers put on a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Adam

Bloomington, IN

#43 Oct 15, 2007
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, you must have forgotten Marquis Daniels and Jamaal Tinsley who assaulted a bar manager. Let’s not forget Shawne Williams whose passenger had a stolen gun with him and also had drugs. Of course Shawne had no idea about this…um sure.
Actually I didn't forget about Jamaal and Marquis. In fact I probably know more about the team than any of you posers ever will. The original poster made reference to players assaulting "the fans" which I took to mean the brawl at Detroit (not involving Tinsley, and Marquis wasn't on the team yet). I too found it a bit odd that Williams didn't know his passenger had marijuana, but I do believe him when he says he didn't know the guy had a concealed gun. I mean that's kind of the point of a concealed weapon. Even if he had it strapped to his side, Shawne would have had no way to determine if it was illegal/stolen.

A drug test also proved Shawne wasn't under the influence of pot at the time, so I choose to believe he made a poor decision, and hopefully a mistake he won't repeat. My point is that everyone is so quick to jump on the Pacers since they've been doing poorly on-court, yet no one seems to care about the problems the Colts' questionable characters as long as they're winning.

I already mentioned Doss. How about June (driving with no license, failure to appear in court... sound familiar??), Rhodes (drunk driving & domestic abuse), Harper (domestic abuse), Dexter Reid (felony gun and drug possession... twice), Sweetpea Burns(assault in a bar.. again, sound familiar?), Dede Dorsey (carrying gun without permit), Darrell Reid (marijuana)... maybe more I've forgotten. I GUARANTEE (a Rasheed Wallace/Terrell Owens level guarantee) if the Pacers were coming off a championship season and the Colts were averaging 4 wins over the last few years, the off-court incidents could be exactly the same and the Pacers would still be the darlings of the town... and everyone else would be wondering when we were going to trade Manning so he could reach his potential playing for a team without so many "thugs." If you think otherwise, that's your opinion. Unfortunately it's wrong.
IPS graduates 52 percent

Marysville, OH

#44 Oct 15, 2007
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
I too found it a bit odd that Williams didn't know his passenger had marijuana, but I do believe him when he says he didn't know the guy had a concealed gun. I mean that's kind of the point of a concealed weapon. Even if he had it strapped to his side, Shawne would have had no way to determine if it was illegal/stolen.
The “concealed” gun??? You might want to revisit that as it was in plain sight to the police officer who pulled over Mr. Williams. If the cop saw it, then either Shawne is an idiot, or lying…I’m not sure which I would prefer at this point. And will someone care to explain to me what Mr. Williams was doing riding around in that part of town with people in his vehicle smoking weed? Think for a moment…no license, expired plates, drugs in the vehicle, a gun (I will give you he might not have know it was stolen) and in a seedy neighborhood. Hmm….Oh yea, why didn’t he show up for court when he was originally supposed to? Maybe he really is an idiot.

Here’s the issue, you assume because I point out the Pacers indiscretions that I am in favor of the Colts and think they are outstanding citizens. You’d be incorrect. However, the key difference between the Colts and the Pacers is the Colts players are mostly gone. They attempt to clean up the problem, while the Pacers defend such actions.
Adam

Lexington, KY

#45 Oct 15, 2007
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
The “concealed” gun??? You might want to revisit that as it was in plain sight to the police officer who pulled over Mr. Williams. If the cop saw it, then either Shawne is an idiot, or lying…I’m not sure which I would prefer at this point. And will someone care to explain to me what Mr. Williams was doing riding around in that part of town with people in his vehicle smoking weed? Think for a moment…no license, expired plates, drugs in the vehicle, a gun (I will give you he might not have know it was stolen) and in a seedy neighborhood. Hmm….Oh yea, why didn’t he show up for court when he was originally supposed to? Maybe he really is an idiot.
Here’s the issue, you assume because I point out the Pacers indiscretions that I am in favor of the Colts and think they are outstanding citizens. You’d be incorrect. However, the key difference between the Colts and the Pacers is the Colts players are mostly gone. They attempt to clean up the problem, while the Pacers defend such actions.
I do see your point. But the difference is the NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts like the NBA does. NBA teams can't simply cut a player for bad off-court behavior or the players union would come down on them like white on rice. The Pacers *did* do their job in getting rid of Artest and Jackson as soon as it became necessary, but right now Tinsley and Daniels have time left on their contracts. With Tinsley's bloated contract, erratic on-court play, and both players' history of injuries (not to mention the perceived off-court troubles), neither one would be of trade interest to other teams right now. And not playing them would just increase the risk of injury to the other players stepping into long-term increased roles. The way I see it, Donnie and Larry's hands are tied with these 2 guys until at least the end of the season. It's a make-or-break season for both. As far as Williams, this was his first screw-up and hopefully his last. He apparently overslept for his court date, which could happen to anyone, but it does sound like he may not be the brightest bulb in the pack. This should serve as a learning lesson. Any more slip-ups and he could head down the same road as Jackson.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danny Granger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News George leads Pacers to 91-84 win over Raptors (Nov '13) Nov '13 Duck Afflis 1
News Steve Nash trade rumors: Indiana Pacers trade c... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Javier 1
News Pacers aim to bounce back against Wizards (Mar '12) Mar '12 jovannycarrillo 1
News NBA Draft 2011: Hometown Kid George Hill, Futur... (Jun '11) Jul '11 Do tell 3
News Indiana Pacers' Danny Granger (left) goes up fo... (Apr '11) Jun '11 Raygay Trannie 2
News Albuquerque team wins title at Battle of Border (Mar '10) Apr '11 Coach City 29
News Pacers: Rose gets too many calls (Apr '11) Apr '11 Herbjr0120 1
More from around the web