Amaechi rumors didn't faze Armstrong

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Indiana Pacers point guard Darrell Armstrong spent two seasons as John Amaechi 's teammate with the Orlando Magic.
Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Feb 21, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
troschne

Brownsburg, IN

#2 Feb 20, 2007
Um, Mike--Tim Hardaway didn't say he didn't "like" gays--he said he "hated" us. That may not seem like much more than semantics to you, but it definitely does to me. I don't like beets. I HATE bigotry, and Hardaway's comments were ignorant and bigoted.
Knee Jerk

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Feb 20, 2007
O'neil can't even get the ball in the right basket. Trade him immeiately!!! Also, Travis Best was gay, but no one cared 'cause he was so darn pretty!
Carolyn

United States

#5 Feb 20, 2007
If you can't say anything nice DON"T say anything at all.
GO PACERS
It's ok JO nice to see you play.
Rick

Crown Point, IN

#6 Feb 20, 2007
I think Hardaway had the courage to say what the vast majority of people want to say...

Funny thing, he was always considered by everyone involved as a model NBA citizen; until now of course...

Be gay if you choose, just don't flaunt it in front of people...
Stan Marovich

Richmond, VA

#7 Feb 20, 2007
So much for the first amendment. I thought you were intitled to speak your mind but when it comes to minority groups, LOOK OUT. Wait a minute, maybe the gays aren't the minority. They want you to believe it's normal and for them this may be true but, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. I think that's what people are telling Tim Hardaway. They should practice what they preach. Lifestyle is a choice and gay people should keep that to themselves like the rest of us who are NORMAL. Hardaway answered a question and revealed his feelings on the matter. What did he do wrong?
AstroTuff

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Feb 20, 2007
Vast majority? Hey Rick - be stupid if you choose, just don't flaunt it.
The Sting

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 20, 2007
I am shocked to find a man who has faced racism all his life to go out and give hate to others. Discrimination is ugly under any circumstance. Timmy needs to check into the same facility as Michael Richards, and start learning that the rest of the world will not tolerate hatred, and bigotry.
M-R Dux

Sanford, NC

#10 Feb 20, 2007
Rick wrote:
I think Hardaway had the courage to say what the vast majority of people want to say...
Funny thing, he was always considered by everyone involved as a model NBA citizen; until now of course...
Be gay if you choose, just don't flaunt it in front of people...
What courage? He startrd back pedaling almost immediately! He tried to be cool. Said what was on his mind. But doesn't have the courage to stand behind what he clearly stated.
AstroTuff

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Feb 20, 2007
Stan Marovich wrote:
So much for the first amendment. I thought you were intitled to speak your mind but when it comes to minority groups, LOOK OUT. Wait a minute, maybe the gays aren't the minority. They want you to believe it's normal and for them this may be true but, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. I think that's what people are telling Tim Hardaway. They should practice what they preach. Lifestyle is a choice and gay people should keep that to themselves like the rest of us who are NORMAL. Hardaway answered a question and revealed his feelings on the matter. What did he do wrong?

Why do idiots like you keep trying to include the rest of us in their defined majority? As one of the "rest of us" that are not gay, please stop pretending to speak for me.

For the record - Hardaway had just as much right to make ignorant statements as you do. The same first amendment gives me the right to state that you are being ignorant, and Darrell has the same right to say what he did. I haven't heard anyone argue that Hardaway didn't have the right to make the statements, just that he has to accept the consequences. Why do you think the first amendment shouldn't apply to Darrell Armstrong?
KJM

Fishers, IN

#12 Feb 20, 2007
Hey Stan, when were Tim Hardaway's First Amendment rights violated or restricted? Please, enlighten us to that one. Tell me at what point Tim Hardaway was NOT allowed to exercise is right to free speech?

You can't, can you? You know why? Because Hardaway never once wasn't allowed to speak. Dan LeBetard had him on his radio show and Hardaway spoke his mind pretty openly and freely over the airwaves. You can't get much freer than that.

It just so happens many people disagree with Tim Hardaway's homophobic and hateful stance. And, ironically, it sounds to me like you'd rather shut up the masses who shouted in disagreement to Hardaway's comments than allow them to exercise their right to free speech.

Looks to me like the First Amendment is living strong these days, contrary to your skewed and erroneous thinking, Mr. Stan.

Did David Stern send Hardaway packing? You better believe he did. But that's because the NBA, as an organization, would rather not be a platform for hate speech (and that's precisely what it is).

And furthermore, Stan, don't speak for the rest of us who are "normal." Just because you choose to live in a small cage of fear doesn't mean the rest of us do. Perhaps you should keep YOUR views to yourself, just as you say gays should do.

Oh, the irony.
James

Pittsboro, IN

#13 Feb 20, 2007
Why do we continue to be PC and call homosexuals "gay"? Check out the dictionary and you will find it the third definition of the word. It's the same reason we call terrorists "Insurgents". It hides the true meaning of what they are.
M-R Dux

Sanford, NC

#14 Feb 20, 2007
KJM wrote:
Hey Stan, when were Tim Hardaway's First Amendment rights violated or restricted? Please, enlighten us to that one. Tell me at what point Tim Hardaway was NOT allowed to exercise is right to free speech?
You can't, can you? You know why? Because Hardaway never once wasn't allowed to speak. Dan LeBetard had him on his radio show and Hardaway spoke his mind pretty openly and freely over the airwaves. You can't get much freer than that.
It just so happens many people disagree with Tim Hardaway's homophobic and hateful stance. And, ironically, it sounds to me like you'd rather shut up the masses who shouted in disagreement to Hardaway's comments than allow them to exercise their right to free speech.
Looks to me like the First Amendment is living strong these days, contrary to your skewed and erroneous thinking, Mr. Stan.
Did David Stern send Hardaway packing? You better believe he did. But that's because the NBA, as an organization, would rather not be a platform for hate speech (and that's precisely what it is).
And furthermore, Stan, don't speak for the rest of us who are "normal." Just because you choose to live in a small cage of fear doesn't mean the rest of us do. Perhaps you should keep YOUR views to yourself, just as you say gays should do.
Oh, the irony.
Sorry, but Hardaways rights were restricted by the NBA's actions. All the NBA had to do was to say (on the same media outlets) that Mr. Hardaways opinions were his own and not indicative of the NBA's position. All other NBA players that may have an opinion are now not free to express those opinions for fear of retailation. Do I think Hardaway was right....no. But I defend his right to speak his mind freely and openly.
VICTORY PARK

Hartford, CT

#15 Feb 20, 2007
YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT WHAT SOME OF THE STRIAGHT NBA PLAYER DO IN THE LOCKER ROOM. PEDICURE, TRIMMING EYBROWS, DISCUSSING THE SEXUAL ENCOUNTERS. TO ME THAT GAY. THE ONE THAT ARE HOMOSEXUAL STARING IN THE MRRO AS IF THEY ARE GOD'S GIFT I KNOW I DON'T DO THAT GIRLLY STUFF. SO I ASK YOU WHO IS REALLY GAY IN THE LOCKER ROOM?
AstroTuff

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Feb 20, 2007
M-R

The NBA did not say that Hardaway couldn't speak his mind. They did say that he could no longer represent the NBA.

The NBA, like any other employer (including yours if you could hold down a job) has the right to put rules in place as to what you may say or do as their representative and to terminate the relationship with you if they deem it appropriate. If you publically made a stupid racist or sexist comment at your job you'd certainly expect consequences. Why should stupid comments about homosexuals or any other group be any different?

This is America, you always have the right to be stupid. You do not have the right to keep your job after being stupid.
Third Eye

AOL

#17 Feb 20, 2007
James wrote:
Why do we continue to be PC and call homosexuals "gay"? Check out the dictionary and you will find it the third definition of the word. It's the same reason we call terrorists "Insurgents". It hides the true meaning of what they are.
Freedom Fighters, Patriots? It's all in the eye of the beholder, or who is trying to spin what.
KJM

Fishers, IN

#18 Feb 20, 2007
M-R Dux wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but Hardaways rights were restricted by the NBA's actions. All the NBA had to do was to say (on the same media outlets) that Mr. Hardaways opinions were his own and not indicative of the NBA's position. All other NBA players that may have an opinion are now not free to express those opinions for fear of retailation. Do I think Hardaway was right....no. But I defend his right to speak his mind freely and openly.
I disagree. His rights to speak freely weren't and haven't been stopped once. The NBA simply said, "you're not going to do it from our event."

Now if they wouldn't let him issue apologies from his home or his agent's office, then yes, you'd be right. But Tim Hardaway's spoken SEVERAL times since then. Therefore, your assertion that his first amendment rights were violated are untrue.

The NBA did what any organization would do in a similar situation: send the offending person packing.

The NBA doesn't have to give equal time to anybody if they choose not to. And, by choosing not to, that does not equate to an infringement of one's right ot free speech.

It's not so unlike letters to the editor. This newspaper may or may not publish a letter it receives from a reader. The editor choosing to not publish a letter is not tantamount to infringing one's right to free speech. The letter-writer may take his or her letter to another newspaper, or blog, or radio show, or message board, etc. You get my point.

Your definition of the first amendment—and violation thereof—is wrong. It isn't incumbent upon any private organization to give one a pulpit to speak his or her mind at an event sanctioned by said organization.
troschne

United States

#19 Feb 20, 2007
Marvin Barnes wrote:
Amaechi wants to stretch our bologna rings in the shower. I'll not abide by it. Get him outta here so we can feel safe again.
Hey, Marv--Amaechi hasn't played in the NBA in quite some time. I doubt he would be interested in your "balogna ring", anyway. I will give you credit for at least spelling balonga correctly. You can abide whatever you please, pal, but you AREN'T going to make us go away, any more than I can make the ignorant crackers who comment on this site go away...
M-R Dux

Sanford, NC

#20 Feb 20, 2007
AstroTuff wrote:
M-R
The NBA did not say that Hardaway couldn't speak his mind. They did say that he could no longer represent the NBA.
The NBA, like any other employer (including yours if you could hold down a job) has the right to put rules in place as to what you may say or do as their representative and to terminate the relationship with you if they deem it appropriate. If you publically made a stupid racist or sexist comment at your job you'd certainly expect consequences. Why should stupid comments about homosexuals or any other group be any different?
This is America, you always have the right to be stupid. You do not have the right to keep your job after being stupid.
After doing some more research on this I'll have to say you're right. I do however stand by my statement that players that have an opinion will be prohibited from speaking freely about this subject because of the NBA's reaction.(P.S. I do hold a job, better than any I could find in Indiana, hence the NJ tag next to my screen name. I do still own a house and property in Indiana)
old pacer fan

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Feb 20, 2007
VICTORY PARK wrote:
YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT WHAT SOME OF THE STRIAGHT NBA PLAYER DO IN THE LOCKER ROOM. PEDICURE, TRIMMING EYBROWS, DISCUSSING THE SEXUAL ENCOUNTERS. TO ME THAT GAY. THE ONE THAT ARE HOMOSEXUAL STARING IN THE MRRO AS IF THEY ARE GOD'S GIFT I KNOW I DON'T DO THAT GIRLLY STUFF. SO I ASK YOU WHO IS REALLY GAY IN THE LOCKER ROOM?
THAT WOULD BE THE ONE WHO WANTS TO HELP THE OTHER TRIM HIS EYEBROWS, PEDICURE, HOPE THIS CLEARS IT UP FOR YOU
Mike B

Brownsburg, IN

#24 Feb 20, 2007
Who?

From the headline, I thought the story was about lance Armstrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danny Granger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George leads Pacers to 91-84 win over Raptors (Nov '13) Nov '13 Duck Afflis 1
Steve Nash trade rumors: Indiana Pacers trade c... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Javier 1
Pacers aim to bounce back against Wizards (Mar '12) Mar '12 jovannycarrillo 1
NBA Draft 2011: Hometown Kid George Hill, Futur... (Jun '11) Jul '11 Do tell 3
Indiana Pacers' Danny Granger (left) goes up fo... (Apr '11) Jun '11 Raygay Trannie 2
Albuquerque team wins title at Battle of Border (Mar '10) Apr '11 Coach City 29
Pacers: Rose gets too many calls (Apr '11) Apr '11 Herbjr0120 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Danny Granger People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••