Granger, Pacers shut down Magic

Granger, Pacers shut down Magic

There are 106 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 6, 2009, titled Granger, Pacers shut down Magic. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Danny Granger scored 14 of his 33 points in the fourth quarter, and the Indiana Pacers beat the Orlando Magic 107-102 on Friday night to snap a three-game losing streak.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Nozar

Gainesville, FL

#21 Feb 6, 2009
We need a point guard. We need a point guard bad. Johnson and Lue aren't gonna get the job done. We need a real point guard. If we end up with just johnson and lue at the trade deadline, I swear we're in big trouble. I know Otis is always worried about chemistry and stuff, but we need to get a decent starting point guard if we want to do well. Every single good team in this league (lakers, spurs, cavs, celtics, nuggets, etc.) has a good point guard. That's what we need too.
nanningbob

San Francisco, CA

#22 Feb 7, 2009
Welcome back anti magic crowd. Jim is once again at his negative best but what else do we expect. The Magic do have the schedule on their side for the next couple of weeks so they will be home to get some practice time in. Once we integrate our players into the offense it will get back on track. It will take longer to get he team defense to work solid so patience will be needed. SVG is an excellent coach and does very well with the pieces given him. T Lue can put up 10-13 points per game and assist to TO ratio is about 3:1. Atlanta is 8 games behind us for the 4th seed and I dont see them catching the Magic. Of the bottom 4 teams we would meet in the playoffs only Detroit would give us real trouble and they are fading quickly. 2nd round will be Cleveland and we have their number with or without Jameer. So Eastern Conference finals is still very doable. So bring it on anti-magic crowd after the first week of the season you all had to tuck your tails under legs and run and hide. Of course you did that last year also. So you will have to do it again. Good luck. OH Kenny we still have Cleveland's number. Your team 100% healthy still cant beat us consistently. Yes you can win one between now and the season but 5 or 6 games in the playoffs is about the best you will do against us. We simply over match your team too well.
Mike

Sarasota, FL

#23 Feb 7, 2009
nanningbob wrote:
Welcome back anti magic crowd. Jim is once again at his negative best but what else do we expect. The Magic do have the schedule on their side for the next couple of weeks so they will be home to get some practice time in. Once we integrate our players into the offense it will get back on track. It will take longer to get he team defense to work solid so patience will be needed. SVG is an excellent coach and does very well with the pieces given him. T Lue can put up 10-13 points per game and assist to TO ratio is about 3:1. Atlanta is 8 games behind us for the 4th seed and I dont see them catching the Magic. Of the bottom 4 teams we would meet in the playoffs only Detroit would give us real trouble and they are fading quickly. 2nd round will be Cleveland and we have their number with or without Jameer. So Eastern Conference finals is still very doable. So bring it on anti-magic crowd after the first week of the season you all had to tuck your tails under legs and run and hide. Of course you did that last year also. So you will have to do it again. Good luck. OH Kenny we still have Cleveland's number. Your team 100% healthy still cant beat us consistently. Yes you can win one between now and the season but 5 or 6 games in the playoffs is about the best you will do against us. We simply over match your team too well.
Great post! I've never been one to jump off the ship when a player go's down. If it was D12 ... then that's a different story. The Eastern Conference Finals is definitely still doable. Don't underestimate Lue. He knows what kind of situtation he's coming to ... and he's got two rings to prove it. Word.
Jeff

Longwood, FL

#24 Feb 7, 2009
I really hope this loss inspires Jameer to attempt a comeback and realize that the team needs him to have any chance this year. Because the fact is the team needs him to have any chance this year. As far as Jim from titusville he needs to stuff a dcik in his mouth and shut the fcuk up. Im sick of his negative BS. Take an all star guard away from any top team and they become mediocre. Actually even without Jameer this team should be a 50 plus win team. With Jameer we were on pace to go 60 plus easy. but even 50 wins is a 4 or 5 spot come playoff time.
gwasson - Longwwod

Cocoa, FL

#25 Feb 7, 2009
I can only shake my head regarding this Magic loss to the Pacers. I only have to revert back 4 years ago during the NBA Draft when the"bonehead" magic management made the decision to draft some STIFF name Fran Vasquez of Spain over Danny Grainger of Arizona, who the Pacers picked up after the Magic draft debacle. To this day, still remains one of the worse decisions in the 20 years of Magic existence.
Joe

Santa Rosa, CA

#26 Feb 7, 2009
Trade JJ. Trailer trash fans and journalists blaming loss on JJ. Huh?

Spousal abuse on the rise down in the old trailer park tonight.

Trade JJ to a contender!
Just A Taxpayer

Zephyrhills, FL

#27 Feb 7, 2009
NO! No way will I be a part of Cindy's spectacle, manipulation, and control.

No way.

Staying away and a prayer offered up on Caylee's behalf honors Caylee; attending the Anthony Spectacle disrespects Caylee and plays into Cindy's plans.
Brian-Marc

Scottsmoor, FL

#28 Feb 7, 2009
Joe wrote:
Trade JJ. Trailer trash fans and journalists blaming loss on JJ. Huh?
Spousal abuse on the rise down in the old trailer park tonight.
Trade JJ to a contender!
What trailer park are you talking about? I'm looking out the window and I see buildings.*shrugs*
JOSE PEREZ

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#29 Feb 7, 2009
Jim wrote:
No defense. No intensity and focus. Turnovers. Missed free throws. Nothing more to say about this pathetic effort.
Right now the Magic have a record of 36-12. I am going to call for a record of 19-15 for them to finish out the season. That will make their final record 55-27. It will probably be a first round playoff exit as well. Time to pull the plug. It's all over.
Sorry Jim, tomorrow we will win. By the way, since you can predict the future, can you give me hint as to what stock will be a winner in this coming week.
ham sandwhich

Titusville, FL

#30 Feb 7, 2009
We will be just fine. We do however need to ID someone to have the ball in the final minutes that can make better decisions & create. I love Turk but he tends to make some terrible decisions at times. What was with his turn around 3 attempt... not a good shot! Penetrate and draw a foul or kick the ball out to someone w/ a good look.
Enlightened 1

Asheville, NC

#31 Feb 7, 2009
Too many boneheaded mistakes by the Magic stars. This team overall has a low basketball I.Q and it starts at the top with Howard, Turk, and Lewis.

I can't tell you how many times I saw Howard triple teamed last night and still not pass the ball out for an open three. Quit joking around all the time and play with some intensity.

Meanwhile, Turk continues to throw up contested threes. Sorry Hedo, last season is over. Time to come back to reality. You can see Turk pressing on the court with thoughts of a new contract in his eyes

And Lewis, he plays just plain soft. Take the ball to the hole with some authority for once in your life man. Damn! The Magic payed $122 mil for a jump shooter.

Granted, it's hard to win with one point guard, but it;s not like we were playing the Lakers last night. The Pacers are 20-31!
Return of LMAO

AOL

#32 Feb 7, 2009
This loss had NOTHING to do with Jameer Nelson. He wouldnt have made a bit of difference in the loss unless it was to allow more points for their guards.

Redick took over Jameers average of 16.5 by getting 17 plus better all around play.

They lost because they have NO stoppers, and never have. Pietrus is a bum. Hedo, never has had defense, Lewis, softy player, Lee has his nights but it's a long season, and Jameer never played defense in his career, ask any PG in the league.

If the Magic hit 3's and get 130 points they cant be beat. If they dont hit 3's they will lose due to a weak to NO defense. All the Jameer blather is BS.
JudasPriest

Schenectady, NY

#33 Feb 7, 2009
Both Enlightened and LMAO have written excellent comments; 100% agreed. SVG needs to read these.

Result would not have been any different with or without Jameer and unless Magic decides to play some "D" it'd be another repeat of the last season. SVG needs to put more people in the paint, dress down Howard for not passing to open guys, give tactics to Hedo and Rashard and press for more "D". If you watched the game you'd have noticed the easy lay-ups when Rashard or Hedo was putting half turned guard opening the corridor for lay-ups.

They should force the offense to use middle lane where Howard or bumpers would meet them with a slap or a concrete wall. SVG is not the best coach to me - he just did away with one playing style - and that without high 3 pt percentage is only gonna survive the 1st round at best.
Jeff

Longwood, FL

#34 Feb 7, 2009
first off LOL at anyone who still uses AOL. What? cant afford to get off the dial up? now thats LMAO. oh and you can stuff a ccok in your fat gaping mouth as well because you sure as hell dont know what youre talking about. as i said take an all star guard away from any team and they will be hurting. To have a shot at the championship we need Jameer Nelson. He brings toughness and grit, hes clutch and hes instant energy, when the team is down, he picks them up and leads them, if we dont have him we're just competing to get out of the first round again, end of story. He really needs to try and come back. Assuming he plays until June gets surgery then he would only miss a month of next season and theres no guarantees on next years team being as good as this years team has been so far. I hope he takes the chance. It could be worth the championship.
Santoro

Clay, NY

#35 Feb 7, 2009
Glen wrote:
Howard is still very raw. The team didn't play good d-fens tonight and it cost them the game. Reddick was the smartest player out there until he elbowed Dunleavy in the face. That tops all the bad plays they had all night.
You mean when Dunleavy flopped replays show that Redick never touched him even the Pacer annoucers said that was the best acting job they had ever seen from Dunleavy.
----------
Neither Lewis nor Dwight showed up to play defense and their offense was lacking as well. Too many times Dwight was jawing with the refs instead of helping out his teammates.
Pietrus just didn't show up for the game.
It was a real surprise to find out that Redick can play pg and do it well. Who would have thought that our backup pg was already on the team.
nanningbob

Nanning, China

#36 Feb 7, 2009
Enlightened 1 wrote:
Too many boneheaded mistakes by the Magic stars. This team overall has a low basketball I.Q and it starts at the top with Howard, Turk, and Lewis.
I can't tell you how many times I saw Howard triple teamed last night and still not pass the ball out for an open three. Quit joking around all the time and play with some intensity.
Meanwhile, Turk continues to throw up contested threes. Sorry Hedo, last season is over. Time to come back to reality. You can see Turk pressing on the court with thoughts of a new contract in his eyes
And Lewis, he plays just plain soft. Take the ball to the hole with some authority for once in your life man. Damn! The Magic payed $122 mil for a jump shooter.
Granted, it's hard to win with one point guard, but it;s not like we were playing the Lakers last night. The Pacers are 20-31!
Lets see, hmmmm, Howared is clearly the best center in the NBA. He will also make first team all NBA defensively this year also.

Lewis, lets see, he made the All star team this year, defensive and offensive are up this year plus leads the league in 3 point shooting.

Turk, he is so bad we run most of our offensive sets through him and was our go to guy in crunch time last year. Won the most improved player of the year award. Dang what team are you watching anyway? Certainly not the Orlando Magic. Dont worry you will have to go run and hide with your tail between your legs again, just like last time. And then there are guys that agree with this junk.
Santoro

Clay, NY

#37 Feb 7, 2009
Jeff wrote:
first off LOL at anyone who still uses AOL. What? cant afford to get off the dial up? now thats LMAO. oh and you can stuff a ccok in your fat gaping mouth as well because you sure as hell dont know what youre talking about. as i said take an all star guard away from any team and they will be hurting. To have a shot at the championship we need Jameer Nelson. He brings toughness and grit, hes clutch and hes instant energy, when the team is down, he picks them up and leads them, if we dont have him we're just competing to get out of the first round again, end of story. He really needs to try and come back. Assuming he plays until June gets surgery then he would only miss a month of next season and theres no guarantees on next years team being as good as this years team has been so far. I hope he takes the chance. It could be worth the championship.
Before you start ranting at other posters here you need to get your facts correct people that use AOL use it like people use Yahoo it's a webportal you fool. It hasn't been an internet provider for years.
Plus yes Nelson is missed, but this team still has the parts to go all the way, but Dwight needs to growup considering he has been in the NBA for 5 years. And Lewis needs to remember how to play defense and he seems to have lost his offense as well, because last night his game was very offenise (as in bad)
Pietrus just didn't show up at all. That's three starters who just didn't show up to play and that had nothing to do with Nelson.
The surprise for that game was that the Magic had a backup pg all along and we just didn't know it. Redick really surprised me and a lot of others about how well he did playing point.
Santoro

Clay, NY

#38 Feb 7, 2009
nanningbob wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see, hmmmm, Howared is clearly the best center in the NBA. He will also make first team all NBA defensively this year also.
Lewis, lets see, he made the All star team this year, defensive and offensive are up this year plus leads the league in 3 point shooting.
Turk, he is so bad we run most of our offensive sets through him and was our go to guy in crunch time last year. Won the most improved player of the year award. Dang what team are you watching anyway? Certainly not the Orlando Magic. Dont worry you will have to go run and hide with your tail between your legs again, just like last time. And then there are guys that agree with this junk.
Voted in by people not coaches now if the coaches had a say in all of this Dwight would not have been judged the best center nor Lewis the best 3 point shooter. Not if you go by the last three games. Yes they both have played great as well, but as of late they have lost their A game and it is hurting the team as a whole.
john

Winter Park, FL

#39 Feb 7, 2009
I was right. Being excited about crushing the Clippers two nights ago was too soon to draw conclusions. This is actually scarier than I thought. Indiana isn't even a decent team this season and Magic lost.
Santoro

Clay, NY

#40 Feb 7, 2009
Reaper wrote:
<quoted text>
i watched half the game and i thought turk was pretty bad running the offense. jj was bad as well i mean he fumble the ball a couple more times then what they say on the stat sheet. its sad too that jj and lee were the ones that brought the energy. i notice jj was ball hogging for sometime. no one helped them out.
Wow you must have been watching a different game then everyone else because even the announcers for the Pacers thought that Redick was playing great ball out there last night. Redick brought energy back on to the court and helped bring the team back into the game. When he came out on to the court the Magic were down 15.
Plus a lot of people noticed that Redick also played great at the point. It turns out that the Magic already had a backup pg and they just didn't know it that is the kind of good surprise that the Magic need.
Now we just have to get Dwight, Lewis and Pietrus to show up to the rest of the games and the Magic will start winning again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danny Granger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News George leads Pacers to 91-84 win over Raptors (Nov '13) Nov '13 Duck Afflis 1
News Steve Nash trade rumors: Indiana Pacers trade c... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Javier 1
News Pacers aim to bounce back against Wizards (Mar '12) Mar '12 jovannycarrillo 1
News NBA Draft 2011: Hometown Kid George Hill, Futur... (Jun '11) Jul '11 Do tell 3
News Indiana Pacers' Danny Granger (left) goes up fo... (Apr '11) Jun '11 Raygay Trannie 2
News Albuquerque team wins title at Battle of Border (Mar '10) Apr '11 Coach City 29
News Pacers: Rose gets too many calls (Apr '11) Apr '11 Herbjr0120 1
More from around the web