Back to Boston with the Celtics under pressure

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

So who's the pressure on now? This NBA playoff series between the Cavaliers and Boston Celtics has bounced back and forth between two cities, with each team winning twice on its home court.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
scott

Palmetto, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

Just a quick question from a Boston Celtics fan. How is the pressure on Boston. All they have to do is what they have been doing all yea including the playoffs: Win at home. If they do that they advance. I think the pressure is on Cleveland to beat Boston in Boston. The Celtics don't have to win in Cleveland to move on, the same is not true the other way around.
go cavs

Lillington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

I have to agree with scott on this one. Despite the Cavs play in the last two games, the Cavs still need to take one on the road which was exceptionally difficult to do in Boston during the regular season and has yet to be done in the playoffs. That being said, the Cavs do have some momentum going into Boston and hopefully they can come out tonight with the same type of defensive energy they have shown this series and make a few shots early on to tilt the series so the pressure is really on Boston.
abc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

scott wrote:
Just a quick question from a Boston Celtics fan. How is the pressure on Boston. All they have to do is what they have been doing all yea including the playoffs: Win at home. If they do that they advance. I think the pressure is on Cleveland to beat Boston in Boston. The Celtics don't have to win in Cleveland to move on, the same is not true the other way around.
I'd say the pressure is on because the Celtics have played extremely poorly the last two games. Also, they were predicted to have an easy road to the finals, and this path has been anything but easy. It has to be worrying to the Celtics how poorly they have played on the road.

“LeBron = Born-again Tribe Fan!”

Since: May 07

Tallmadge, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

If the Cavs win game 5, I say the likelihood of the Celtics winning game 6 in Cleveland goes way up.

We've seen it with the Cavs before. Lack of killer instinct. "If we don't win today, there's another game 2 days from now."

LeBron gets it. Ben Wallace gets it. Z gets it. Those other guys... not so much, from what I've seen.
hdawg

Mamaroneck, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Whoever wins tonight wins the series I think. I don't see Boston winning in Cleveland, and I don't see the Cavs winning a potential Game 7 in Boston.
Celts-fan

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

Do we forget that the Cavs were destroyed in game three. The NBA playoffs are all about the home advantage. In the semi final round the home team is 17-1. The pressure is on both teams, because in my opinion who ever wins tonight wins the series. The pressure goes on tonights loser.
Celts-fan

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

game two I meant
TheFinalWord

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

scott wrote:
There is just no way around it, the Cavs have to win in Boston. But just trying to hold service and relying on home court advantage is a defeatist mindset and not the character of a true champion. If you're reeling back on your heals, sooner or later someone is going to bring it to you. Cleveland has proven in the Washington series that they can win on the road. Granted, Washington is not Boston, who are still perfect at home, but the first game of this series suggests they are beatable. Lebron had probably the worst game of his career and the rest of the team stank up the Garden and yet the Cavs only lost by four points. Hopefully, Cleveland smells blood while the Celtics are plagued by self doubt.
TheFinalWord

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Celts-fan wrote:
Do we forget that the Cavs were destroyed in game three. The NBA playoffs are all about the home advantage. In the semi final round the home team is 17-1. The pressure is on both teams, because in my opinion who ever wins tonight wins the series. The pressure goes on tonights loser.
I don't agree that the Cavs were destroyed in game two. They started strong and actually had a lead after the first quarter. Then they went totally flat for periods two and three. The fourth quarter was a draw. If they can make some three's and stay close the Cavs can pull away in the fourth quarter, a trait they've shown all year. Boston has to get out on top early so they can cruise with a comfortable lead. If the game is close or they are playing from behind, Boston sometimes struggles.
Veezy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Why does everyone believe in Boston so much? This is their first time in the playoffs together. They have no history to go on or experience to know how to respond to their road woes. When we win tonight all bets are off, and I know that unlike going to Washington to win game 6, Lebron is not going to want to play Boston in beantown to win the series. That dunk I have named " The dunk that won the series" is what Lebron needed to get back on track. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes off for 30 or more tonight. As a team our confidence is sky high and we smell blood. We must tune-out their crowd and keep it close and we will be getting it on w/Detroit next week. Go Cavs!!!
bob lewis

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

If LeBron stays agressive, takes the ball to the hoop and gets anything like na even break from the referees ... this series may be functionally over tonight.

This seems strangely reminiscent of last years series with the Pistons. It took a while for LeBron to figure the defense out, but once James and the Cavs made the adjustments, the Pistons couldn't enforce their will on the court.

Boston may get a dose of the same medicine tonight.
bob lewis

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

scott wrote:
The pressure is on Boston because James and the Cavs have figured out Boston's game plan and made the necessary adjustments. Don't count on anyone on the Celtics being able to stop LeBron tonight.
San Antone Bill

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

scott wrote:
The delima is this. Boston is not doing what they did all season. They were an excellent road team and well look at the Atlanta series and now the Cleveland. Boston has to treat this game five as game seven or risk going back to Cleveland to be closed out. So the pressure is in fact on Boston.
Steve G

Stanwood, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

The pressure is on Boston because it makes for a good headline.

But realistically, the Cavs have adjusted to the Celtics defense. And the Celtics have looked pretty bad for 2 games. I don't think it is just a home team issue.

Also, Boston is the only team that advanced from the first round of the playoffs without winning a road game. That was against Atlanta, arguably the worst team in the playoffs. And they still haven't won a road game.

Not saying the series is over, or that Cleveland will definitely win. But they almost won game 1, and they are playing better now. If the Cavs lose tonight, I wouldn't expect them to win game 7 (assuming they'd win game 6 at home).
dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

bob lewis wrote:"The pressure is on Boston because James and the Cavs have figured out Boston's game plan and made the necessary adjustments. Don't count on anyone on the Celtics being able to stop LeBron tonight."

I have to disagree there bob. Actually, LeBron needs to be careful with his apparent 'full head of steam' as the various Celtic defenders who have been assigned to him (pierce and posey) are outstanding at getting into position to draw charges on LeBron. He's not CP3 who can change direction on a dime at full speed, LeBron is 250 lbs of freight train still looking to drive for that dunk, and I think the Celtics have done a good job keeping him from driving into the paint by playing good D on him. That D will be tightened up a notch tonight, further cutting off the blood flow in the Cav's necks. Defense helps reserve fishing trips for the other team. LeBron will HAVE TO make his jumpers for the Cav's to have a decent chance of stealing one in the Garden. I say Celt's in 6.
dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Perhaps Paul Pierce has a big game-he can make James work on D, and no one smaller can really guard him....and if the Celts actually start to shoot what they normally shoot,(they're in a serious shooting slump) then the Celt's win by double digits and can absorb the bigger scoring game that might occur from James, which is what I'd expect if they shoot like they are capable of. The low FG% is bound to get better for the Celt's. Ray Allen may finally come out of his funk and bury a bunch of 3's. The Cav's would be in real trouble then too. If I'm Cleveland-I pray the shooting woes continue for Pierce and Allen, cause both those guys are ticking timebombs.

Idiot Basher

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

dave wrote:
Perhaps Paul Pierce has a big game-he can make James work on D, and no one smaller can really guard him....and if the Celts actually start to shoot what they normally shoot,(they're in a serious shooting slump) then the Celt's win by double digits and can absorb the bigger scoring game that might occur from James, which is what I'd expect if they shoot like they are capable of. The low FG% is bound to get better for the Celt's. Ray Allen may finally come out of his funk and bury a bunch of 3's. The Cav's would be in real trouble then too. If I'm Cleveland-I pray the shooting woes continue for Pierce and Allen, cause both those guys are ticking timebombs.
I hear what you're saying but the Cavs D is responsible for a lot of the Celts shooting woes, unlike LBJ just missing wide open jumpers. And I disagree with the C's will play LB a little tighter. Wally, Boobie and Z have been knocking down shots consistently enough where the C's will have to losen up on LB. If that happens you'll see a lot more of KG being posterized. That being said it will be tough for the Cavs to steel one in the Bean. The Celtics didn't win 60 plus for nothing. I look for a good game but also I look for a great game from LBJ especially while guarding the spitter Paul Pierce. Cavs in 6. Remember what all the doubters and haters said last year and we went to the finals.
dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Idiot Basher wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear what you're saying but the Cavs D is responsible for a lot of the Celts shooting woes, unlike LBJ just missing wide open jumpers. And I disagree with the C's will play LB a little tighter. Wally, Boobie and Z have been knocking down shots consistently enough where the C's will have to losen up on LB. If that happens you'll see a lot more of KG being posterized. That being said it will be tough for the Cavs to steel one in the Bean. The Celtics didn't win 60 plus for nothing. I look for a good game but also I look for a great game from LBJ especially while guarding the spitter Paul Pierce. Cavs in 6. Remember what all the doubters and haters said last year and we went to the finals.
True, credit is due with the Cav's D for sure. They have manned up on D. Boobie and the others have played pretty well,(Z was 3-10 last game) and at times the D will be tight enough to make LB travel and turn it over in general some more...and at other times, he may get a lane and go up, but that does NOT mean that everytime he gets near the rim and KG's there, that he is going to end up with a similar result as the end of game 4. KG is an outstanding shotblocker, and can elevate with his length to match LB, and can certainly get all ball and turn him away so it's a toss up...more likely to see a foul going for the block than see more rimrockers.
KG didn't win the award for nothing, and while LB can at moments 'Rise Up' and display his prowess-he can still get mightily rejected on the attempt. And if Pierce and Allen get going, the Cav's are done, cause then you have the three headed monster again.
Z Man in Seattle

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Let's face it - the Cavs won't win this series because their head coach refuses to acknowledge that the teams that win championships in the NBA can execute offensively in the last five minutes of a tight game. Mike Brown has had three years to prove that he can install an offense that can take advantage of Lebron's talents, and yet the Cavs offense in tight games continues to be comprised of four players standing around watching Lebron try to go through four or five defenders on his way to the hole. Game 5 tonight was a perfect microcosm of Mike Brown's three years as head coach. Fourteen point lead with five minutes to go in the second quarter, and then another end of quarter collapse. Brown's stubborn refusal to hire a coach who can install an effective offense only proves what we have known all along - he is NOT the guy who can lead this team to a title. Until we hire a coach who can adjust to game situations on the fly (such as closing out quarters strongly and not coming out flat at the beginning of EVERY third quarter on the road), we will continue to wait for that elusive championship, with or without Lebron.

“Er...Protector of Free Speech?”

Since: Mar 08

The AKR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Knew the Celts would win as soon as they took the lead by 5 early in the 3rd. Wally missin' the 3 with @2 mins. left (down by 6) was the backbreaker. Hard fought game that ended up a "L". I am not sure if LBJ, Inc. are going to make it out of this series.

Please, CAVS, prove me wrong!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Daniel Gibson Discussions

Search the Daniel Gibson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Antawn Jamison has heard it all from Boston's K... (Jan '12) Jan '12 kamal007 1
Cavaliers 97, Pistons 91: Hickson, Davis give C... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Herman Hesse 1
LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers' Daniel Gibso... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Cleveland noble 1
Cleveland Cavaliers: Does Blame Fall On LeBron ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 ccc 1
Trail Blazers 111, Cavaliers 105: Futility mark... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Bob 1
Cleveland Cavaliers lose by 55 but LeBron James... (Jan '11) Jan '11 G Force 8
Cavs' Varejao has broken cheekbone (Dec '10) Jan '11 Freda Johnson 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••