Burden is on Danny Ferry to make Cava...

Burden is on Danny Ferry to make Cavaliers better

There are 80 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 19, 2008, titled Burden is on Danny Ferry to make Cavaliers better. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Published on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 BOSTON: The New Orleans Hornets were the first team that he mentioned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Since: Mar 07

Strongsville, OH

#44 May 21, 2008
JOSH- IS THAT YOU MY OLD FRIEND......?
I hate to bring up old stuff man, but I couldnt resist.

MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!

Josh
May 24, 2007
Ya know, honestly? If Kobe were smart, he'd quit badgering the front office for a new set of teammates and just demand a trade to a real team that isnt run by imbeciles. I hear Phoenix may be looking to rebuild, how about Shawn Marion and 2 1st round picks for everyone's favorite gunner? Maybe Corey Maggette, two #1's and Shawn Livingston's knees?

The biggest mistake Kobe ever made was resigning with the Lakers, when he could go across town and hoist 40 shots a game for the Clippers with an all-star PF like Elton Brand.

But I digress...It'll be more of the same for the rest of his career. Gaudy scoring stats, no success in the W column.

Josh
May 24, 2007
Oh, I forgot one. I bet Isaiah Thomas would trade his whole roster for Kobe and play 5 on 1 next season. Oh the possibiities!!!

In all reality, with you idiots being the majority (i know a lot of people who agree with you that Kobe's the best player in the league, and I argue with them too), the Lakers would be smart to sell high and just completely rebuild, bottom up. They could fleece someone's picks and get 2 very good players as well.

Kobe in a Kings uni? You KNOW the Maloof brothers would take him. HAHA, it's either hopeless basketball until his contract is up, or trade your franchise player. How depressing must it be to root for the Lakers? Glad I'm not you.
robinson819

Lexington, KY

#45 May 21, 2008
1) Draft Koufus
2) Try to give up some of our expiring contracts to get Mike Redd
3) Try to sign Arenas, Maggette and Brand if they opt out.
4) Cut, trade or get rid of Wally, Ben, Damon and Eric
5) Look at this list of players to bring in:
Kris Humphries- Bench Post Player
Steve Blake- Solid Point gaurd
Louis Williams - Bench Scorer
Eddy Curry - Post Scorer
One of Memphis' Point Guards
Josh Powell - Lengthy Defender
Sarunas Jasikevicius - Backup PG if we don't resign Booby who's not a PG
Chris Duhon - Solid PG
Brendan Wright - I'm Reaching

Does anyone have Danny Ferry's e-mail address?
concerned citizen

Oshkosh, WI

#46 May 21, 2008
robinson819 wrote:
1) Draft Koufus
Eddy Curry - Post Scorer
Chris Duhon - Solid PG
I wil get it for you..and Mark Shapiros so you can give him your plan to trade Delucca for Manny and CC for Josh Beckett and Jason varitek and trade peralta for Arod

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#47 May 21, 2008
Well it's a good thing he's taking a break right now. Nothing better than wasting time that could be spent being proactive.

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#48 May 21, 2008
2009 Cavs wrote:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
PF: Lebron James
SF: Pao Gasol
C: Dwight Howard
One can dream, right?
I like Gasol, but I'd rather have Garnett or Duncan at the 4.
robinson819

Lexington, KY

#49 May 21, 2008
2009 Cavs wrote:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
PF: Lebron James
SF: Pao Gasol
C: Dwight Howard
One can dream, right?
Man nobody in Cleveland wants Kobe. But Paul and Dwight, I'm feeling that.
hdawg

United States

#50 May 21, 2008
Of those players I think Steve Blake or Chris Duhon would both be good fits. Eddy Curry plays no defense so Mike Brown would never have that. I also don't see Milwaukee giving up Michael Redd to a team in their division, especially one with Lebron. Expiring contracts will get you an aging vet like Ray Allen, but probably not much more unless we're talking trade deadline. A lot of people point to the Garnett deal, but forget that Boston gave up a 22 year old in Al Jefferson that averaged 16 and 11. The Cavs don't have a player like that.
The thing about Arenas or Brand is that if they did opt out the Cavs aren't going to have the cap room until next summer to bring in somebody of that caliber.
robinson819

Lexington, KY

#51 May 21, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I wil get it for you..and Mark Shapiros so you can give him your plan to trade Delucca for Manny and CC for Josh Beckett and Jason varitek and trade peralta for Arod
I don't want all of it but if u look besides Gilbert and maybe Brand it's possibel. Everybody I named is either at war with there team, on a rebuilding or out of their contract. I just said take a look at these guys.
robinson819

Lexington, KY

#52 May 21, 2008
Lewis James wrote:
If the Cavs want to contend for a championship they need to have a coach that Lebron respects. Can you say Paul Silas? A coach that will demand that James play the game the right way! Ferry does not need to make panic moves because King James says so. James, one of the most physically gifted players to come into the league in years, needs to stop trying to be the coach, and gm and understand that basketball is a team game and its not just about him! Mike Brown should make Lebron respect him as a coach, and management should back him! Lets face it James had a bad series with the exception of two games. It is about time he started to do it the teams way! After all, what has he won in this league?
I agree with you somewhat. B/C of LeBron we still have Z and Damon. But can you honestly look at that team and say they have the pieces to win no matter what offense they run or how selfish or unselfish LeBron plays?
robinson819

Lexington, KY

#53 May 21, 2008
hdawg wrote:
Of those players I think Steve Blake or Chris Duhon would both be good fits. Eddy Curry plays no defense so Mike Brown would never have that. I also don't see Milwaukee giving up Michael Redd to a team in their division, especially one with Lebron. Expiring contracts will get you an aging vet like Ray Allen, but probably not much more unless we're talking trade deadline. A lot of people point to the Garnett deal, but forget that Boston gave up a 22 year old in Al Jefferson that averaged 16 and 11. The Cavs don't have a player like that.
The thing about Arenas or Brand is that if they did opt out the Cavs aren't going to have the cap room until next summer to bring in somebody of that caliber.
I agree with the caproom issue. unless they can cut thoses guys with the bad contracts we might not have the caproom. But Cleveland spent the 4th most money in the league last year so don't underestimate our owner. I think we can get Redd seriously. I think with then trying to rebuild it would take just one of our expiring contracts and maybe Wild Thing.
JoeDawg

Mentor, OH

#54 May 21, 2008
hdawg wrote:
A lot of people point to the Garnett deal, but forget that Boston gave up a 22 year old in Al Jefferson that averaged 16 and 11. The Cavs don't have a player like that.
Every deal has it's own persona and causes/effects behind it. CLE may not have an Al Jefferson, but we do have guys like Boobie and Verejao, who would both be pretty good fits running up and down in LA. IMHO, the acquisition of Elton Brand and the drafting of Douglas-Roberts would put this team in a real position to win for years to come. Eric Snow may never play again, so he fills that excellent Keith Van Horn role in the trade, as well. We may have to throw in next season's #1, but that should be a late round pick and one I give up without hesitation.
The Pope

United States

#55 May 21, 2008
Dr Doom wrote:
Anyone who thinks the Cavs, as currently constituted are equipped to win a Championship is clearly delusional.
Look at the teams remaining in the playoffs.
All have at least one potential HOFer (Kobe/TD for sure, while KG and Sheed are close calls).
But each squad also includes another 2-3 guys capable of dropping 30 on any given night.
The Cavs have NO ONE who can even sniff 25, let alone 30.
We need a penetrating guard who can get his own shot and get to line.
I favor B-Diddy and CDR.
But a shooting PG and Kevin Love would suffice.
The past four years I've picked SA-Det in October to meet in the Finals.
If the Cavs make any of the aforementioned moves, I will gladly put my money down on them and the Lakers as next season's dream match up.
Get it done Danny.
You're right on the money, delusional is the key word. This team with its current personnel will not win an NBA Championship. And you correctly point out the need for a particular type of point guard. One headed monsters don't win NBA Championships anymore......
The Pope

United States

#56 May 21, 2008
robinson819 wrote:
1) Draft Koufus
Eddy Curry - Post Scorer
Chris Duhon - Solid PG
You left out Z. He's one of the three Large S**t bags in Cleveland. The other two are Crennel and Sabbathia.....

Since: Dec 07

Louisville, OH

#57 May 21, 2008
JoeDawg wrote:
To me, it's all about finding the right mix of guys. You start by ading at least one legit all star to this roster. My top two choices, of the unrestricted guys out there, are Elton Brand and Baron Davis(opted out). Brand, imho, provides the perfect player type for this team. He loves the defensive end, he's versatile enough to play the 4 or 5, and he's a polished offensive threat that will give us a consistent 20/10 guy. His game goes inside and out, thus making him a terrific complement to LeBron. Davis is the type of playmaker Larry Hughes only wishes he could be. He can take guys off the dribble, has great range, and is serviceable on D. I've wanted him in CLE for years. His style of play(always pushing the ball and breaking guys down) is exactly what the King needs to get some operating space.
If we can land Brand, I then look at a guy like Ty Lawson from UNC in the draft. He's lightning quick, an excellent ball handler, and his jumper has come a long way in the last year. He's a bit short, but has a great Billups type body, which aids him on his drives to the basket, where he is an excellent finisher. Another guy I love to watch play is Chris Douglas Roberts. No, he's not a PG, but he would also fill that Robin role that Hughes never lived up to. Incredible on D, and not just because of his excellent wingspan and size, but because he wants it worse than anyone. His BBall IQ is off the charts. I'm not real big on the post players that will be there for us at 19, thus Brand makes even more sense.
Lastly, Mike Brown needs to swallow his assanine pride and bring a guy in who knows how to install a good motion offense. The number one goal of this coaching staff has got be getting ball rotation. The current 1 and 4 sets(75% of the time) and high pick and rolls that are offense consists of is embarassing. It's beyond vanilla. This team can make some major moves this year, but it is going to take some serious wheelin and dealin by Danny Ferry to make it all happen. We have 2 years to convince LBJ that this team is a legit title contender. NOW DO IT!
By far the best post I've read on here in quite some time. Huzzah!

Since: Dec 07

Louisville, OH

#58 May 21, 2008
robinson819 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with the caproom issue. unless they can cut thoses guys with the bad contracts we might not have the caproom. But Cleveland spent the 4th most money in the league last year so don't underestimate our owner. I think we can get Redd seriously. I think with then trying to rebuild it would take just one of our expiring contracts and maybe Wild Thing.
Somebody feel free to correct me, but couldn't a team like GS work something with Baron D for a sign and trade, that way we wouldn't have to cut our players, and GS would get our expiring contracts?

Wishful thinking I'm afraid, but I'd get it done somehow, I think BD would make us great.
Ben Melman

Akron, OH

#59 May 21, 2008
Everyone that follows the NBA nationally asks - "when is LeBron going to get some help?".

The answer is when he plays out his option and agrees to go to a team that has bondfide NBA starters, not role players.

I cannot believe Dan Gilbert's comment. All the Cavs players that were here the year before got worse this year. So much for the GM and scouting staff judging talent, so much for the coaching staff developing talent.

The Cavs got where they got due to LeBron James. Everyone knows it. When he leaves the Cavs will be in the lottery every year again, and will remain there until a genuine GM and Coach are brought in.

The problem is that most adult Clevelanders have never seen a champion sports team in their lifetime. 2nd place is not acceptable. As leBron has said - rebuilding never ends. The fact is that when LeBron came on this team 5 years ago, the team around him stunk. The fact is - 5 years later there are a bunch of new players being paid the 3rd most salary in the NBA, and they stink as well. Everyone in the NBA wonders how long he's going to put up with this, and 5 teams are already putting together players to attract him in 2010.

Dan Gilbert seems to be a very nice man. Danny Ferry and Mike Brown seem to be as well. But what we have here reminds me of a few years ago when Mark Shipiro said that the Indians looked at some video in the offseason and saw that Johnny Peralta had the worst range of an MLB shortstop. Why did they have to wait till the offseason to see this? I had MLB ticket, I'm not a professional, and I saw it. The bottom line - Peralta STILL has the worst range of any MLB shortstop, and he STILL starting. Same is happening with the Cavs. Get players that do the job, or get rid of them. And if the GM can't find the players and the coaching staff can't develop the players...then get a new GM and coach.

Duh.

Do people in this town want to win a chaampionship in something, or do they want to continue to feel good about what is going to happen in 2-3 years.
Ben Melman

Akron, OH

#60 May 21, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
Danny Ferry will figure a way to add a couple all stars to go along with LeBoob like the Celtics did, and trade or cut Ben, Wally, and Eric who proved to be worthless on the Cavs. The Cavs only came up 6 points short of the conference finals again. Good year once again, but no championship. GO CAVS !!!
Herein lies the problem.

Who was it that brought Ben, Wally and Eric here?
seymorre butts

Lakewood, OH

#61 May 21, 2008
Who cares, it's just a bunch of over-paid cungas who cant follow direction or even take it seriously.

BEN WALLACE is a classic example, here is a monkey that never practiced free throws ( on of the most basic fundementals ) never wanted to improve and as a result is one of the worst if not THE worst free throw shooter ever..he also was not even running down the court in fast breaks in game 7 which is hallmark of what he is.

Stop paying money and boycott sports that employee animals and thugs.
Layne Anderson

Wooster, OH

#62 May 22, 2008
I still think we need a dominating scoring big man! Z is a great backup, but the offense is suffering because they don't have any scoring presence when he is on the bench. Anderson and/or Ben and others, in my opinion should be traded bate to bring in a big scorer.

Then bring in somebody who can hit jumpers!
bobdevo

Lees Summit, MO

#63 May 22, 2008
If the Cavs fail to improve significantly, the moaning and gnashing of teeth when James leaves for NYC or LA will make the Rocky Colavito debacle or the Browns moving to Baltimore look like a walk in the park.

Hello, front office, hope you're listening ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Gibson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Antawn Jamison has heard it all from Boston's K... (Jan '12) Jan '12 kamal007 1
News Cavaliers 97, Pistons 91: Hickson, Davis give C... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Herman Hesse 1
News LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers' Daniel Gibso... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Cleveland noble 1
News Cleveland Cavaliers: Does Blame Fall On LeBron ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 ccc 1
News Trail Blazers 111, Cavaliers 105: Futility mark... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Bob 1
News Cleveland Cavaliers lose by 55 but LeBron James... (Jan '11) Jan '11 G Force 8
News Cavs' Varejao has broken cheekbone (Dec '10) Jan '11 Freda Johnson 2
More from around the web