Cavs pick wrong week to fall apart

Cavs pick wrong week to fall apart

There are 21 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 9, 2008, titled Cavs pick wrong week to fall apart. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

In the movie Airplane! , Lloyd Bridges plays the guy who runs an airport as a plane heads toward it with the pilots stricken by food poisoning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ghandi

Beaufort, SC

#2 May 10, 2008
No comment, pretty sad. Wonder what Braylon Edwards had for breakfast ?
Dr Doom

Akron, OH

#3 May 10, 2008
Thibodeau has clearly instructed his bigs to hedge all the way out to half court, if that's what it takes to keep LeBron from driving off the pick.
Meanwhile KG camps out in the middle like the 6-foot Center in 7th grade CYO 2-1-2 zone.
I haven't seen him leave the paint all series!?!
So perhaps, rather than running dribble handoffs 30ft from the basket, we might try Windy's suggestion and run back picks for LeBron.
Fake a pass his direction and run the old Iowa play...swing the ball to the weakside and you've got him wide open for an alley-oop over the top.
I guarantee the ONE, JUST ONE emphatic dunk over KG or Powe and they will immediately revert to their "we're terrified of Josh Smith posterizing us" timid defense we saw in rd 1.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#4 May 10, 2008
Let's see, four defenders on one guy. That means three other guys must be wide open! WIDE OPEN! Right? Under Brown's system they are all standing around waiting for a defender to catch-up to them once a lazy pass floats cross-court. The passing lanes should be up and down the court. Not from side to side with no movement. Geez! How many millions of times do we have to re-hash what is wrong with the offensive system here!

But in Brown's defense, it boils down to the Cavs inability to hit open shots that any NBA player ought to be able to make.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#5 May 10, 2008
Dr Doom wrote:
Thibodeau has clearly instructed his bigs to hedge all the way out to half court, if that's what it takes to keep LeBron from driving off the pick.
Meanwhile KG camps out in the middle like the 6-foot Center in 7th grade CYO 2-1-2 zone.
I haven't seen him leave the paint all series!?!
So perhaps, rather than running dribble handoffs 30ft from the basket, we might try Windy's suggestion and run back picks for LeBron.
Fake a pass his direction and run the old Iowa play...swing the ball to the weakside and you've got him wide open for an alley-oop over the top.
I guarantee the ONE, JUST ONE emphatic dunk over KG or Powe and they will immediately revert to their "we're terrified of Josh Smith posterizing us" timid defense we saw in rd 1.
That's just one great idea of the hundreds of other great ideas the Cavs ought to be doing. If I see just one of those silly ineffectual "hand-offs" from outside the perimeter I'll turn-off the tube (Looks like my third grade team when a kid pick-up his dribble and has to wait for someone to come around a bail him out). Or how about those cross court passes to someone obviously setting up for a three. There is no mystery anywhere in this offense.
Lionel

Washington, DC

#6 May 10, 2008
Wanna know what's the most amazing thing about LeBron James? He makes Mike Brown the winningest coach in Cavs history....

If I had been the head coach of this team when LeBron James joined it, I would currently be the winningest coach in Cavs history.

Here's a thought...maybe use the best EVER runaway train driving finisher-at-the-basket in some up-tempo offense?!

D'Antoni!
James

Dover, OH

#7 May 10, 2008
I really feel bad for Lebron, If he leaves Cleveland, i dont blame him, i wont be mad at all. He deserves so much better, he has his whole future in front of him, but he doesnt have skilled teammates like everyone else, he has to play 1 on 5 because they know his teammates arnt going to knock down shots, his coach has no offense to support him. Its sad, LEBRON LEAVE CLEVELAND, YOU DESERVE BETTER!!!
BenJammen

Hayden, ID

#8 May 10, 2008
I needed someone to vent with...and it seems like you understand what I'm feeling- Cavs Nation is feeling.

*Sigh* what was really discouraging was that they were playing great basketball for most of the first quarter-- and it showed in the score! Then they came out in the second and looked asleep...

You're right that Z has been the bright spot offensively and he's blocked a lot of timely shots.

On the other hand, if he tries to move with the ball instead of taking a straight up shot, he travels; and if the ball is out of arms length for a rebound or even a pass, he just watches it go past...

*phew* Ok. Got it off my chest. Thanks man. We're gonna kick their butts tonight!
Rob

AOL

#9 May 10, 2008
Go Tribe!
BenJammen

Hayden, ID

#10 May 10, 2008
Hey James. At this point, I think you're right that Lebron deserves better, but I don't think he'll leave...and I don't think it's necessarily his teammates that are the problem.

I think Lionel has a point: Mike Brown needs to leave. There has been NO IMPROVEMENT to their offense in the 3 years he's been here...and to be honest (with a better, more experienced group of guys) their defense has even faltered!

Sometimes I question the effort of the players (beyond Lebron), but they look like they are stuck with a playbook of simply retarded plays.

Lebron's miraculous play and their offensive rebounding are the only reason they are in the playoffs...
BenJammen

Hayden, ID

#11 May 10, 2008
Lionel wrote:
D'Antoni!
*laughs* I didn't see that before-- I was thinking the same thing just yesterday! Good call...
Tony O

United States

#12 May 10, 2008
Hey C town relax, Boston won 66 regular season games ,they have a good team and their defense was alot better than Cavs and what so called Mike brown's "D". So please put a little sugar on it and rise up and give Cavs a break.Go Cavs...
Tim in Plantation FL

AOL

#13 May 10, 2008
I agree with Lionel about the up-tempo offense, but instead of waiting until next year with a new coach, how about trying it now? I'd like to see Mike Brown insert Sasha in the starting SG spot, and just tell the guys to have fun and run like the wind. Maybe we can wear out the Celts a little bit so when we do slow it down and get Wally and Gibson in there off the bench, the Celts won't be as quick in their rotations and Wally and Gibson can get more open shots.
Lionel wrote:
Wanna know what's the most amazing thing about LeBron James? He makes Mike Brown the winningest coach in Cavs history....
If I had been the head coach of this team when LeBron James joined it, I would currently be the winningest coach in Cavs history.
Here's a thought...maybe use the best EVER runaway train driving finisher-at-the-basket in some up-tempo offense?!
D'Antoni!
RicTibay

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam

#14 May 10, 2008
The Cavs woes stemmed from the Danny Ferry's poor timing and judgements getting good free agents or doing trades. Passing up on available free agents such as; Jason Richardson,Ime Udoka,Steve Blake, Luis Scola,Beno Udrih, Andre Miller and doing trades with the Celtics to get Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes,or even adding Ron Artest would have made the Cavs a formidable NBA finalist or legit champion.
It was a silly move on the Cavs acquiring Larry Hughes instead of the then available Joe Johnson, fearing that Joe Johnson may demand the ball more in his hands than with Lebron. Everybody knows the blunder in often injured Larry Hughes. Had Joe Jonhson been with the Cavs, the tandem of LeBron and Johnson would have been perfect, or to the least Lebron and Jason Richardson tandem which will be a real bomshell to blow out the opposing teams.
dubyes

United States

#15 May 10, 2008
I just wish Gibson and Pavlovic were as eager to shoot as Szerbiak.The hidden reason we lost game 2:outrebounded by double digits.The cavs are almost never outrebounded.and against a team with a huge weakness at center!the celtics cover for their atrocious inside "talent" by thuggish play and having four players in the lane on defense at all times.Oh and about "d'antoni"-I have never seen an nba coach whine and stamp his feet about the officiating as much as he does.not even close.maybe that would help,who knows.e
dubyes

United States

#16 May 10, 2008
by the way,I'm from Albuquerque.not sure where the
"Bridgeton,MO"came from.
Jim Chones

Cleveland, OH

#17 May 10, 2008
Ghandi wrote:
No comment, pretty sad. Wonder what Braylon Edwards had for breakfast ?
Ha ha! That's about what I was thinking. Pointless group of words. Cavs = doomed, btw. In fact watching them is giving me allergies!
Buckeye Larry

Greenville, SC

#18 May 10, 2008
Let's face it, even the great Michael Jorden had a supporting cast and a "Coach". Other then Lebron, Cleveland has nothing! Mike Brown needs to go, Danny Ferry needs to go and so does most of Cleveland's "Supporting" cast! Lebron & CAV fans deserves better, and if Cleveland's organization isn't willing to give it to us, I am sure several other cities will be more then happy to have Lebron!
nick

Bronx, NY

#19 May 10, 2008
RicTibay wrote:
The Cavs woes stemmed from the Danny Ferry's poor timing and judgements getting good free agents or doing trades. Passing up on available free agents such as; Jason Richardson,Ime Udoka,Steve Blake, Luis Scola,Beno Udrih, Andre Miller and doing trades with the Celtics to get Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes,or even adding Ron Artest would have made the Cavs a formidable NBA finalist or legit champion.
It was a silly move on the Cavs acquiring Larry Hughes instead of the then available Joe Johnson, fearing that Joe Johnson may demand the ball more in his hands than with Lebron. Everybody knows the blunder in often injured Larry Hughes. Had Joe Jonhson been with the Cavs, the tandem of LeBron and Johnson would have been perfect, or to the least Lebron and Jason Richardson tandem which will be a real bomshell to blow out the opposing teams.
i too wanted joe johnson , but at that time , phoenix made it clear that they would match any offer made on joe johnson . so with only a few available shooting guards left (ray allen resigned ,redd resigned), cleveland made the play for hughes . they wanted to show lebron they were committed to winning and finding his his "pippen" . alanta had nothing to lose when they made the offer for joe johnson , and it worked because johnson informed phoenix not to match the hawk's offer . i don't think joe would of came to cleveland anyway , he left phoenix(with nash ,amare ,and marion) to star in his own show , he was not willing to be a second banana anymore . but i still think out of all the free agent shooting guards at the time , joe johnson was the best compliment to lebron , he was young(younger than allen,redd,and hughes),could knock down the open shot , and was able to create offense for himself and others off the dribble . i always knew hughes would be a bad fit , he was a career low fg% shooter , was never durable , and never was able to hit jump shots on a consistent basis .
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#20 May 10, 2008
TONIGHTS GAME is LeBron's first big test since solidifying himself as as All-Star. If he doesn't have a great night the doubts will return in full force.

But this is a bigger night for Coach Brown, Can he make the adjustments? If he fails Brown will be in the same position as A. Johnson and Mike D'Antoni. As for Ferry, I don't know anyone who thought Larry Hughes would flop. Still, he hasn't done the job. I don't think owners will make a change here. Call it a curse if you will, Ferry had the balls to admit Hughes and Marshall were mistakes. I still have two words for him -- point guard.

Since: Apr 08

Little Valley, NY

#21 May 10, 2008
East Side Joe wrote:
TONIGHTS GAME is LeBron's first big test since solidifying himself as as All-Star. If he doesn't have a great night the doubts will return in full force.
But this is a bigger night for Coach Brown, Can he make the adjustments? If he fails Brown will be in the same position as A. Johnson and Mike D'Antoni. As for Ferry, I don't know anyone who thought Larry Hughes would flop. Still, he hasn't done the job. I don't think owners will make a change here. Call it a curse if you will, Ferry had the balls to admit Hughes and Marshall were mistakes. I still have two words for him -- point guard.
I am not a Cavs fan but Lebron is the second best player in the league behind Kobe and if I was hired as a coach in the NBA he would be the first player I would go after. Having said that he is only one man, albeit Superman, but the greatest player to ever bounce a ball on the hardwood had truly good supporting players(Pippen, Paxson, Armstrong, Rodman) so to think Lebron can ever win a championship without someone like that is ridiculous. Allen Iverson is one of the 30 best players(all around) to play the game and led a Sixers team to the finals but it was the same situation as Lebron, if someone else can't step up and take off some pressure then they can't win. Players of that calibur shouldn't be bridesmaids, they need to be grooms with a strong bestman at his side. Pick up an Amare Stoudamire, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Manu Ginobli(sic) type wingman and the Cavs will be just like my Bulls with Mike, always winning titles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Gibson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Antawn Jamison has heard it all from Boston's K... (Jan '12) Jan '12 kamal007 1
News Cavaliers 97, Pistons 91: Hickson, Davis give C... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Herman Hesse 1
News LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers' Daniel Gibso... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Cleveland noble 1
News Cleveland Cavaliers: Does Blame Fall On LeBron ... (Feb '11) Feb '11 ccc 1
News Trail Blazers 111, Cavaliers 105: Futility mark... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Bob 1
News Cleveland Cavaliers lose by 55 but LeBron James... (Jan '11) Jan '11 G Force 8
News Cavs' Varejao has broken cheekbone (Dec '10) Jan '11 Freda Johnson 2
More from around the web