Burden is on Danny Ferry to make Cava...

Burden is on Danny Ferry to make Cavaliers better

There are 80 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 19, 2008, titled Burden is on Danny Ferry to make Cavaliers better. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Published on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 BOSTON: The New Orleans Hornets were the first team that he mentioned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wishfull thinking

Island Lake, IL

#1 May 19, 2008
Good article. Yet, before that comes the Draft. While at the 20 slot, should they take a project center like Kosta Koufos or JaVale McGee or go for a Big Shooting Guard like Chris Douglas Roberts or Brandon Rush that could help sooner. Then they could trade Sasha and maybe even Wally's contract.Regardless, I'd like to seee them swing a deal to pick up Jamont Gordon in the second round.

“LeBron = Born-again Tribe Fan!”

Since: May 07

Tallmadge, Ohio

#3 May 20, 2008
Cavs don't need yet ANOTHER defensive all-star. Hopefully they come up with someone who can drill jumpers all day.
Old Man Grump

Akron, OH

#4 May 20, 2008
Danny Ferry will figure a way to add a couple all stars to go along with LeBoob like the Celtics did, and trade or cut Ben, Wally, and Eric who proved to be worthless on the Cavs. The Cavs only came up 6 points short of the conference finals again. Good year once again, but no championship. GO CAVS !!!

Toledo, OH

#6 May 20, 2008
why is it Ferry has to make the team better. It seems to me he's put together a pretty good team. Maybe if Le Bron hits some of his shots early in the series, we move on. Maybe the players should take personal responsibility regarding their play. A true leader would never say, "the team needs to get better, even if it means personnel changes". Maybe the coach needs to figure out how an offense should work. Maybe everyone needs to get better, as a team.
Dr Doom

Kansas City, MO

#7 May 20, 2008
Anyone who thinks the Cavs, as currently constituted are equipped to win a Championship is clearly delusional.

Look at the teams remaining in the playoffs.
All have at least one potential HOFer (Kobe/TD for sure, while KG and Sheed are close calls).

But each squad also includes another 2-3 guys capable of dropping 30 on any given night.

The Cavs have NO ONE who can even sniff 25, let alone 30.

We need a penetrating guard who can get his own shot and get to line.

I favor B-Diddy and CDR.
But a shooting PG and Kevin Love would suffice.

The past four years I've picked SA-Det in October to meet in the Finals.

If the Cavs make any of the aforementioned moves, I will gladly put my money down on them and the Lakers as next season's dream match up.

Get it done Danny.

United States

#8 May 20, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
Danny Ferry will figure a way to add a couple all stars to go along with LeBoob like the Celtics did, and trade or cut Ben, Wally, and Eric who proved to be worthless on the Cavs. The Cavs only came up 6 points short of the conference finals again. Good year once again, but no championship. GO CAVS !!!
Why would you think Ferry will add quality players - has he done that yet? The Cavs better start thinking about a center Z is on the back end and the rest of this cast is suspect at best. Six points might as well be 600 we still lose and your right 38 years and ounting for the Cavs with no championship.

Greenville, SC

#9 May 20, 2008
Good Article!

While I believe the Cavs need to make some trades, I also think that a better offensive strategy cannot be overstated. Even if the Cavs make a great trade or two, the Cavs will not realize their full potential until somebody with a clue about offense is here, be it a new assistant coach who focuses on the 'O', or a new coach. Personally, I'd like to see the new assistant .....

Greenville, SC

#10 May 20, 2008
.... and as much as I believe that the Cavs need to make some trades, since they are in a GREAT position to do so this year with the expirings, this series should have never had to go to 7 games. I believe that a better offensive system would have enabled the Cavs to get better looks at the rim and a few more baskets, which could have easily resulted in a 'W' in Games 1,5 or 7

Also, LeBron is gonna have to work on his game. While he was upset after Game 7 with the lack of support his team gave him, what about Game 1 when he was laying bricks and making turnovers at an incredible rate??

A stud player or two added to the line-up will help -- NOBODY else in these playoffs has to face double & triple teams as much as LBJ, because other teams have players that will make the defense pay.

Does anybody think Sasha is gonna try to hold out so the Cavs can re-negotiate his contract?? LOL
He & Andy are doing a great job of playing themselves OUT of the Cavs future ...
Old Man Grump

Akron, OH

#11 May 20, 2008
Moron Spotter wrote:
<quoted text>
"LeBOOB"? You must be 12. Sucks to be you, you jealous loser. Without LeBron, this team wouldn't have made it to the post-season. Period. Now go take your metamucil and S T F U.
Walking off the court without congrats to the Celtics makes him LeBoob. Sore loser.

Jacksonville, FL

#12 May 20, 2008
Dr. Doom...what about that guy named Lebron???? he's not capable of 25-30 points?? I think your sniffing too much smoke from the fires out there....Sasha needs to go, he can't drive to the basket..we need a pure shooter

United States

#13 May 20, 2008
You make the statement that NBA players want to play on a team with LeBron James. When has that been evident? Not one major player has come to Clveland to play withj LeBron. Actually the opposite appears to be true. Why? I believe it is because most players really don't want to play in an offensive system that consists mostly of "LeBron creativity". Most basketball players are "rythem" shooters and in LeBron's system it is hard for other players to develop any kind of "rythem". They realize this and are not interested in Cleveland's offers.

Mamaroneck, NY

#14 May 20, 2008
I'm sure Ferry will do something in the offseason, but adding a couple all stars like the Celtics did I don't see. Ray Allen is pretty washed up, that's how they got him. As for Garnett, they gave up a future star in Al Jefferson in that deal. There isn't an Al Jefferson on the Cavs. I always thought that Drew Gooden and Larry Hughes were their best trade commodities, now they're gone.

Akron, OH

#15 May 20, 2008
Walking off the court without congrats to the Celtics makes him LeBoob. Sore loser

What was he suppossed to do, hug them and laugh the way Wally did. I'd cut him immediately for doing that.

Milwaukee, WI

#16 May 20, 2008
It will be an interesting off season. If they don't get help for LeBron, he will be gone for greener pastures and Cleveland will lose another sports franchise soon afterward. This off season is pivotal to the future of Cleveland basketball.
2009 Cavs

Akron, OH

#17 May 20, 2008
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
PF: Lebron James
SF: Pao Gasol
C: Dwight Howard

One can dream, right?
Maryland Fan

Great Falls, VA

#18 May 20, 2008
This is the first time Ferry will enter the off-season with BOTH (1)assets to use to add talent (tradable expiring contracts or players or cap space) AND (2) a track record with LeBron that shows he is capable of living up to the hype and expectations that followed him as he entered the league straight out of high school.

When LeBron first entered the league, the Cavs had cap space, but were not able to attract their first or second choice free agents, probably due to the leap of faith it would have taken for such players to assume LeBron was going to measure up and to come play in a historic loser like the Cavaliers.

When LeBron showed he really was all that, the Cavs were saddled with disappointing players like Hughes, Gooden, Jones and Marshall and no cap space or tradable players or expiring contracts neeeded to land top-notch talent who were still reasonably close to the prime of their careers.

This is the beginning of Ferry's 2-year window to get the team from being "good enough with LeBron to compete but not win it all" to a true championship favorite. It's Ferry's first real chance to put it all together, but the team needs to succeed now or risk losing LeBron to a team that offers Lebron a better chance at championships.

That means Ferry needs to look hard at what talent he can add to the team this year and next, build a foundation to replace players like Z when they are too old to continue, and make sure that the team has all the coaching it needs both on offense and defense to match up with any opponents they may face in the playoffs.

We will know in two years whether this team is even going to have a legitimate chance to be dominant and a champion or whether another window for a championship will pass Cleveland by.

Louisville, OH

#19 May 20, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
<quoted text>Walking off the court without congrats to the Celtics makes him LeBoob. Sore loser.
Lewis James

Washington, DC

#20 May 20, 2008
If the Cavs want to contend for a championship they need to have a coach that Lebron respects. Can you say Paul Silas? A coach that will demand that James play the game the right way! Ferry does not need to make panic moves because King James says so. James, one of the most physically gifted players to come into the league in years, needs to stop trying to be the coach, and gm and understand that basketball is a team game and its not just about him! Mike Brown should make Lebron respect him as a coach, and management should back him! Lets face it James had a bad series with the exception of two games. It is about time he started to do it the teams way! After all, what has he won in this league?

Raleigh, NC

#21 May 20, 2008
trade em all, everyone you can keep lbj but a whole new team wont be any worse than now.

Mentor, OH

#22 May 20, 2008
To me, it's all about finding the right mix of guys. You start by ading at least one legit all star to this roster. My top two choices, of the unrestricted guys out there, are Elton Brand and Baron Davis(opted out). Brand, imho, provides the perfect player type for this team. He loves the defensive end, he's versatile enough to play the 4 or 5, and he's a polished offensive threat that will give us a consistent 20/10 guy. His game goes inside and out, thus making him a terrific complement to LeBron. Davis is the type of playmaker Larry Hughes only wishes he could be. He can take guys off the dribble, has great range, and is serviceable on D. I've wanted him in CLE for years. His style of play(always pushing the ball and breaking guys down) is exactly what the King needs to get some operating space.
If we can land Brand, I then look at a guy like Ty Lawson from UNC in the draft. He's lightning quick, an excellent ball handler, and his jumper has come a long way in the last year. He's a bit short, but has a great Billups type body, which aids him on his drives to the basket, where he is an excellent finisher. Another guy I love to watch play is Chris Douglas Roberts. No, he's not a PG, but he would also fill that Robin role that Hughes never lived up to. Incredible on D, and not just because of his excellent wingspan and size, but because he wants it worse than anyone. His BBall IQ is off the charts. I'm not real big on the post players that will be there for us at 19, thus Brand makes even more sense.
Lastly, Mike Brown needs to swallow his assanine pride and bring a guy in who knows how to install a good motion offense. The number one goal of this coaching staff has got be getting ball rotation. The current 1 and 4 sets(75% of the time) and high pick and rolls that are offense consists of is embarassing. It's beyond vanilla. This team can make some major moves this year, but it is going to take some serious wheelin and dealin by Danny Ferry to make it all happen. We have 2 years to convince LBJ that this team is a legit title contender. NOW DO IT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Damon Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cavs need to address point guard weaknesses (Apr '08) Jun '10 johnny 31
News 'Bows looking to clean up sloppy play - Hawaii ... (Dec '09) Dec '09 kanale 7
News Young Star Making his Mark on Lakers (Mar '09) Mar '09 kee 1
News Northwestern St. 77, Texas-San Antonio 74 (Feb '09) Feb '09 Henry Jones 1
News Beasley can become a threat in the post (Jan '09) Jan '09 Steve in Greenacres 5
News Indiana opens Crean era with win (Nov '08) Nov '08 cranky 1
News Cavs pull off big deal to land point guard (Aug '08) Sep '08 Milos Babic 311
More from around the web