Analysis: Second half big for Timberw...

Analysis: Second half big for Timberwolves' current players, fr...

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 15, 2010, titled Analysis: Second half big for Timberwolves' current players, fr.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Timberwolves' Al Jefferson reacts after scoring in the second half as the Minnesota Timberwolves play the Indiana Pacers at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn., on Friday, January 8, 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

brian

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 15, 2010
LeBron James, Miami's Dwyane Wade, Toronto's Chris Bosh, Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire

Who are four players that will never play for the wolves
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#2 Feb 16, 2010
First of all, the Wolves aren't going to win the lottery, so forget about Wall. Secondly, why would players like LeBron, Wade, or Bosh come to Minnesota? For the weather? Because it is a tax haven? Maybe the winning tradition and perennial championship contention? Answers: they wouldn't, no, no, and no in that order.

LeBron, Wade, Bosh (and all the big knockers) are going to get max deals offered to them from every team that can afford to do so. We are not the only team bright enough to realize that the player "shopping mall" opens after this season, and we are not the only team that has cleared cap space. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh aren't even going to look at Minny EVEN IF OUR OFFER WAS A FEW MILLION DOLLARS HIGHER. Nobody likes to lose and nobody who is currently in their prime wants to put up with a multiyear rebuilding effort.

If the wolves are going to make any noise in free agency it will be a player who is still developing, has upside, but hasn't quite "got it" yet. Someone elses version of a Corey Brewer or Ramon Sesssions. We will undoubtedly overpay for that player because we will be desperate to get someone, anyone, to sign. While it was a trade, and not free agency, our lusting after Marko Jaric comes strongly to mind. How well did that turn out? Not so much. In fact it was so "not so much" I would call it "negative much".

The wolves would make more progress towards their goal of improving by trading expiring contracts of slugs like Brian Cardinal (sorry Brian, for calling you a slug) to teams that are trying to obtain cap space, and willing to send us a younger talent, for said slug.

Tyrus Thomas type talent to Timberwolves, balding Boilermakers become Bulls. That's the ticket.
DD Austin

Jackson, MS

#3 Feb 16, 2010
The Wolves gave up Ray Allen - they gave up Brandon Roy - they have a bad record of drafting great players and then GIVING other teams a GIFT for little and or nothing in return. Time will telll! You want to pull for the T-Wolves, but as long as Glen owns the team - better not get too excited. SO far RAMBO hasn't shown he's head coaching material either. Interesting.
GOdieKAHN

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 16, 2010
the wolves are the worst drafting team in the nba. every year they make stupid draft picks and if they dont they trade away the good pick. i mean come on johnny flynn and ricky rubio over stephen curry!!! retards! i will never ever go to another twolves game let alone watch one of tv. they should just sell the franchise and move it somewhere else!!!
freddie

Plymouth, MN

#5 Feb 16, 2010
Come on, Ray. You know LeBron and the other stars aren't going to be playing here. Why even mention it? Or, where is your editor? The Wolves have some good young players. We should keep them, get a quality player or two in the draft, and step forward slowly but surely. Incidentally, Brian Cardinal is no slug. The guy can hoop. Check the plus/minus stats. He's not playing, but he's a lot more effective than he looks...
Ap2_s2k

Minnetonka, MN

#6 Feb 16, 2010
GOdieKAHN wrote:
the wolves are the worst drafting team in the nba. every year they make stupid draft picks and if they dont they trade away the good pick. i mean come on johnny flynn and ricky rubio over stephen curry!!!****! i will never ever go to another twolves game let alone watch one of tv. they should just sell the franchise and move it somewhere else!!!
Stephen Curry is only playing so well because of two reasons, 1. He's playing in an uptempo offense, and 2. Golden State traded away Stephen Jackson to Charlotte thus allowing him more playing time. If Curry was drafted to the Wolves, do NOT bet on the same kind of performance.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#7 Feb 16, 2010
freddie wrote:
Come on, Ray. You know LeBron and the other stars aren't going to be playing here. Why even mention it? Or, where is your editor? The Wolves have some good young players. We should keep them, get a quality player or two in the draft, and step forward slowly but surely. Incidentally, Brian Cardinal is no slug. The guy can hoop. Check the plus/minus stats. He's not playing, but he's a lot more effective than he looks...
In your world Brian Cardinal is a starting forword for a championship contender. In reality, Brian Cardinal is his nickname, "The Custodian", a gritty player who plays hard, without much skill. If, as you say, Brian Cardinal can "hoop", then why isn't some contender burning up the wires to take him off our hands? It is widely known that BC's contract is up after this season and that he is getting zero minutes. It seems to me that you are the only one, including rival GM's, who think so highly of BC.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#8 Feb 16, 2010
PS His plus minus is largely in Q4 of blowouts against others who rarely play. Not quite the same as going up against Bosh, Boozer, and Duncan.
Mondak

Beaumont, CA

#9 Feb 17, 2010
Yep. Now it's all about finding who fits on this team and who doesn't. Two
guys are stand-outs, but the rest of the pack are really iffy. Jefferson and
Love are the only two who are consistent. The other guys may have a great
game now & then, but more often than not, they don't. Brewer does some
exciting stuff on offense, but he's too skinny. He needs some serious muscle.
The biggest weaknesses seem to be at Center and the Point. If the forwards
need defensive help, you can't turn the driver into Hollins; it's Slam Dunk City.
Flynn a rookie at PG is in a very tough position to play. You have instincts to
know what's going on all over the court. I don't know if Jonny can develop the
required awareness, and he doesn't shoot very well. It's not going to be easy for the staff to decide what to do, but drastic changes are needed. Hang on, wait for the draft?
There's got to be lots of pressure on all of Basketball Operations right now.
Patience is the key. No trigger finger anxiety. This has to be endured.
purpleviking

United States

#10 Feb 17, 2010
Time for all you delusional Wolves fans to snap back to reality. Lebron, Bosh, Wade,etc will never even consider the possibility of signing with Minnesota. What the Wolves need to do is while the other teams are courting the big names, they need to be pursuing the likes of Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson, and several of the other second or third tier free agents. Hopefully they can convince one or two of them to sign before other teams jump on them. Every second they spend discussing the big names is a wasted second because it ain't happening. This is really where Kahn can prove how good of a GM he is.
Mondak

Beaumont, CA

#11 Feb 17, 2010
DD Austin wrote:
The Wolves gave up Ray Allen - they gave up Brandon Roy - they have a bad record of drafting great players and then GIVING other teams a GIFT for little and or nothing in return. Time will telll! You want to pull for the T-Wolves, but as long as Glen owns the team - better not get too excited. SO far RAMBO hasn't shown he's head coaching material either. Interesting.
I would withhold judgment on that; it's not like the coaching
staff has a helluva lot to work with. It's got to be verrry
frustrating for them. Let's see if we get any help from the lotto.
Remember, Kahn said to expect this to take a long time. Teams
with better players are struggling, too, wsith seasoned coaches.
Ap2_s2k

Minnetonka, MN

#12 Feb 18, 2010
purpleviking wrote:
Time for all you delusional Wolves fans to snap back to reality. Lebron, Bosh, Wade,etc will never even consider the possibility of signing with Minnesota. What the Wolves need to do is while the other teams are courting the big names, they need to be pursuing the likes of Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson, and several of the other second or third tier free agents. Hopefully they can convince one or two of them to sign before other teams jump on them. Every second they spend discussing the big names is a wasted second because it ain't happening. This is really where Kahn can prove how good of a GM he is.
How are we delusional when we've just stated what you wrote? No one in their right mind believes Lbj or Wade would even consider coming here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corey Brewer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA schedule 2013: Timberwolves vs. Nuggets liv... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Denver 1
News Nuggets hold off Rockets for first road victory... (Nov '12) Nov '12 tweety 1
News Knicks waive ex-Timberwolf Corey Brewer (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bulldog 6
News Shooter Now: Timberwolves expected to offer Kev... (Mar '11) Mar '11 the real just ano... 38
News Lakers' Kobe Bryant will put Timberwolves rooki... (Mar '11) Mar '11 shakira 3
News Tom Powers: Wolves hardly basking in glow of bi... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Jake 14
News Wolves said to be party in possible Anthony deal (Feb '11) Feb '11 nbasniper1 40
More from around the web