Dwyane Wade: Derrick Rose 'more athletic than me'

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Derrick Rose -Michael Beasley comparisons will come Friday, when ESPN televises Miami Heat - Chicago Bulls from AmericanAirlines Arena.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
dduck

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2008

Beasley really thinks that he should have been taken ahead of Rose? Not based on what we've seen thus far. Rose is already a top 10 PG and Beasley is Haslem's back-up.

Hopefully he lives up to being the 2nd best player from this draft; that will be good enough for Heat fans.
Jose Cuervo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2008

Perhaps but a Rose/Wade duo seems a little guard heavy. How many NBA championships have been built around two players under 6'5" lately?

With Wade an all-star pf or c makes better sense (but one with more height than Beasley makes more). Perhaps Boozer in '09 or even better Bosh in '10?
Doo Scbagg

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Beasley is a bust
juanp

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

no comparison btw beasley and rose. beasley might turn out to be a good every day player as to where rose will be a superstar.
MIA bulls fan

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Juan P ur exactly right! Man I'm a die hard bulls fan, and man am I impressed with this kid. The best part bout rose is he's so humble, wants 2 b the best wants 2 take the last shot. Feels good 2 finally have a super star on the team. It would have been crazy in Miami with the all Chicago back rose & wade wooow go bulls
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Beasley never said that he should have been picked. That is just the way Ira "reported" it. He (Ira) just insinuated that Beasley is jealous, hurt, peeved, whatever you want to call it because he was not picked first.

If we bother to remember at the beginning, during pre-season, both kids were just happy to go 1-2, they were both friends, good friends. Now Ira is giving us the impression that Beasley is envious. Read the actual quote from Beasley carefully and there is no bitterness, just a matter-of-fact comment.

Believe me, Ira will not rest until he hears music from the Heat "fans," and by music I mean a chorus of boos for Beasley or a cheer louder for Rose than for Beasley. The sad part is that we lose our own objectivity by reading the garbage that this "objective" reporter vomits.

Sad indeed.
Scorp6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

It's not fair to compare Beasley and Rose or even to throw in OJ Mayo for that matter. Rose and Mayo are being asked to put up numbers. Beasley is not. He is being asked to adapt into the framework of a team concept.

Beasley's offense game has moments his D does not. If he was given carte blanche (say he was drafted by the Timberwolves) he'd probably be averaging a double double. He'd be a defensive liability though. He'd be one dimensional his entire career. But he would have the numbers right now to be in Rookie of the Year conversations.

His game will gel. He'll combine O and D and it will fit within a structured system. Maybe toward the later part of this year or maybe sometime into next. When it does there will be no comparisson.

I wouldn't be so quick to annoint Rose as the superstar. It's only been 28 games and they're playing under .500 ball. Rose is good solid point guard with playmaking abilities so the potential is there. But for 28 games into his NBA career he is far from the elite PG of league. I'd still take Nash, CP3, Billups, Parker and a handful of others over Rose.
OLD PRO

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Frank wrote:
Beasley never said that he should have been picked. That is just the way Ira "reported" it. He (Ira) just insinuated that Beasley is jealous, hurt, peeved, whatever you want to call it because he was not picked first.
If we bother to remember at the beginning, during pre-season, both kids were just happy to go 1-2, they were both friends, good friends. Now Ira is giving us the impression that Beasley is envious. Read the actual quote from Beasley carefully and there is no bitterness, just a matter-of-fact comment.
Believe me, Ira will not rest until he hears music from the Heat "fans," and by music I mean a chorus of boos for Beasley or a cheer louder for Rose than for Beasley. The sad part is that we lose our own objectivity by reading the garbage that this "objective" reporter vomits.
Sad indeed.
I agree! Also, have you attempted to send Ira a question? I have and he has NEVER acknowledged a single one! If you don't hate Beasley, Ira ignores you! I think the coaching in Miami is too antiquated to work Beasley in properly! Hed would be a star under the coaching of a GOOD coach! The old way used to work when I played the game, but not now! Ira is too much of a homer to see it!
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

I did, and I gave up after sifting through enough garbage to make a billy goat puke. It is unfortunate that Ira feels a need to bring people down to show his "objectivity."
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Another point that needs to be made is that while we want Beasley to be a "superstar," we neglect to realize that we already have one in Wade. The worst thing that could happen is to have two such luminaries in the team, because they eventually will negate each other.

The Olympics is not a proper venue to measure this. Wade deferred his place as a started for the good of the team, as did most of the other players. Bryant sacrificed his scorinng so he could be a defensive presence, James, Bosh and Superman just decided to clog the paint and rebound. Now it's back to business.

Beasley will be a great complement to Wade, but we have to remember that there is only one basketball and it belongs to Wade. He will let his teammates play with it, just like Magic and Jordan did.
Rob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

OLD PRO wrote:
<quoted text> I agree! Also, have you attempted to send Ira a question? I have and he has NEVER acknowledged a single one! If you don't hate Beasley, Ira ignores you! I think the coaching in Miami is too antiquated to work Beasley in properly! Hed would be a star under the coaching of a GOOD coach! The old way used to work when I played the game, but not now! Ira is too much of a homer to see it!
I'm glad there are people out there who see the same thing I do. What is Ira's agenda when it comes to Beasley? The coaching staff are not coaching Beasley up. He was playing with much more confidence the first few weeks of the season compared to now. Any experienced NBA writer should be pointing that out. Spoelstra has a very quick hook with him right now, whereas some other young players are allowed to play though the same mistakes. Beasley is the second best offensive player on the team, but is getting the same minutes as Jamal Magloire recently. That's ridiculous!
OLD PRO

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad there are people out there who see the same thing I do. What is Ira's agenda when it comes to Beasley? The coaching staff are not coaching Beasley up. He was playing with much more confidence the first few weeks of the season compared to now. Any experienced NBA writer should be pointing that out. Spoelstra has a very quick hook with him right now, whereas some other young players are allowed to play though the same mistakes. Beasley is the second best offensive player on the team, but is getting the same minutes as Jamal Magloire recently. That's ridiculous!
I forget the game at this moment, but Beas was progressin quite well but made a defensive mistake and Spo yanked him and belittled him as he came to the bench! Since then, the whole rotation has changed but Beasley still must feel he was singled out! This was not the reason for the rotation change but it appeared to be! I just hope his confidence is not blown for ever!
Ariel

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

I agree with some of the comments. I think that BEASLEY is being utilized terribly by coach Spoelstra. I would be playing this guy much more than MARION. Then again, I guess we are trying to showcase Marion in order to possibly trade him. BEASLEY is the second best offensive player in this team but doesnt get anywhere near the minutes played he deserves. Whil he currently is a defensive liability, his offensive skills supercede that by far. If Beasley, was currently playing on any other sub 500 team like Durant was last year, he would be putting up big numbers as well.
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Beasley is STILL progressing quite well. He has to get his minutes and he will do so, but not at the expense of a loss. The Heat will lose a game, but I like the phylosophy that Spo is demanding of his players, defense comes first AND last. Under The Heat coaching structure, the minutes are earned in the practice floor, while other teams say, "I selected you in the lottery so you will start whether you are ready or not..."

I remember Karl Malone when he started and he was bad beyond belief. He bricked free throws worse than Shaq, he got pushed around because he didn't have any footwork, but he applied himself and we know the rest of the story.

You watch Beas next year, after the coaching staff locks him up in the weight room for a few months. Right now he is trying to play like a hybrid 3/4 and he ain't got the right combination yet. We see flashes of what he can be when he blocks a shot or when he makes a difficult shot look easy, but he gets too many shots blocked because the level of competition is one damn sigh better that it was in HS, and he never had a chance to adjust to top tier college level.

Under Spo we are already at the same amount of wins as last year, with FIVE new faces, two of them rookies, one of them starting and with two new faces (Jones and Mourning) waiting in the wing to mesh in the rotation.

Let's appreciate the good job he is doing and focus less on who is starting.
Billy

Melrose, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Beasley was the right pick, he's awesome, just a matter of short amount of time before he's an allstar and w're winning big behind Wade and with him as he 2nd option

No doubt
Billy

Melrose, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Good article for you guys to read on Beasley:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/92479-my-c...

and another great one on the HEATs resilliency and how it takes on behind their leader Dwyane Wade:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/96023-behi...
Billy

Melrose, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Beasley should be watching Chris Webber game-tapes all day and all night, thats the guy he should patent that gamee after, he wont be QUITE the passer but he can dominate on offense at PF with mad versatility from mostly elbow/high-post/mid-post right in the middle of the opponents defense with some lowpost and some outside mixed in, just like Webber did

Once that happens we're a contender cuz it will make our team so much better, including Wade who it will make the floor open up for and make even MORE efficient and dominant
Vince

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Rose blows,i mean this kid has the keys to the car. Beasley on the other hand has established veterans on the team playing the same position. He only gets the keys when they feel like giving it to him. If he played on a different team he would be doing much better than with the Heat.
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Vince, you are right that if Beas was with another team he would be doing much better, but will he be winning?

I rather see the W at the end of the game than seeing that he scored 25 on 10 for 30 from the field, 2 of 8 from 3pt and 1 free throw.

He'll be fine, but the playing forward in the NBA is not the same as playing the "rabbit" positions of the guards and he needs time to learn and adjust.
Billy

Melrose, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2008

frank is right, and it will make beasley better that he's WINNING and that he's being MADE TO improve his ALLAROUND GAME instead of just being a scorer, thats gonnna be GREAT for him and the way he works and learns fast shows hes a special player, we already know he can score whenever he wants

Beasley i think WILL be an allstar by next year, i really believe that GKall i wasnt just saying it

He should be watching Chris Webber kings tapes all day, thats the player he'll be with NOT QUITE teh passing but be even better on defense

I think he could be a special player, he's just so damn unique of an offensive force and with the coaching that he's getting its gonna make him grow so fast for real

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chris Quinn Discussions

Search the Chris Quinn Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Miami Heat: Jermaine O'Neal, Yakhouba Diawara t... (Jun '09) Apr '10 DJ P 11
Chris Quinn picks up 2009-10 option on Miami He... (Jun '09) Jun '09 eger 9
Miami Heat, Pat Riley restricted in roster move... (May '09) May '09 trensaun 17
There's work to do (May '09) May '09 Brettman 2
Miami Heat routed by Atlanta Hawks in Game 7 (May '09) May '09 jason bourne 112
Beasley's struggles continue in loss to Hawks (Apr '09) Apr '09 Commentarius Maximus 8
Heat finishes big, thinks small with Beasley (Apr '09) Apr '09 Onthejobtraining 4
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••