Oakley thinks he can help Magic -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Charles Oakley, who played 19 years in the NBA as a bruising power forward before retiring in 2004, said Tuesday he could help the Orlando Magic develop some much-needed toughness if they add him to the roster ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fred

Shreveport, LA

#1 Aug 22, 2007
Come on down Oak! Bring some mean!
concerned and thankful

Winter Park, FL

#2 Aug 22, 2007
Stay where you are, the Magic will do just fine with the pieces that they have added!
Nice Fit 4 Magic

United States

#3 Aug 22, 2007
Just saw this old fart drunk off his butt at the Beliago in Vegas. Last thursday he tossed a champaign bottle at his crap dealer.
Classy! The didnt boot him because he was down about two million for the trip.
jguy780

United States

#4 Aug 22, 2007
LOL. I want whatever Oak is smokin'.

On the bright side, good to see they're looking at Brian Skinner. He'd make a very nice complimentary piece next to Howard.
Hmm

Maitland, FL

#5 Aug 22, 2007
Maybe 400 lb. Charles Barkley can clog the middle for garbage time too.
Incognito Johnson

Winter Garden, FL

#6 Aug 22, 2007
Hell yeah...exactly what this team needs...The magic are way to soft
Burnsy

Oviedo, FL

#7 Aug 22, 2007
Yes, yes and YES. Sign this man today.
Colombiano

United States

#8 Aug 22, 2007
Why don't we sign Kemp, or ask Larry Jonhson to come back. We could also ask Ewing to play again.... Hell no!!! Oakley you could stay where you are. You will not make a difference on our team. He's been out for too long. I'd rather get Kevin Willis.
mojo

Joplin, MO

#9 Aug 22, 2007
big man coach or consultant, absolutely.

roster spot on this team...i have to say no. go get reggie evans and foyle or skinner, then call it a day.

oak was great in his day but i agree with colombiano on this, kevin willis has at least been hovering around.
Paul Bearer

Orlando, FL

#10 Aug 22, 2007
This is sad. Is management really thinking about this ? If that's the case, they shouldn't be building a new stadium. They should be playing in a giant tent, so there's room for the REST OF THE CIRCUS.

Did the Sentinel print this for a laugh ? What's next -- a Dog Training column by Michael Vick ?
Are you kidding me

Apopka, FL

#11 Aug 22, 2007
um, The Magic have already had Kemp and Ewing (now an assistant coach) but I think this just makes your point even more. Oakley couldn't jump over a phone book even when he was in his prime. Let's just get a whole geriatric second team while we're at it, and make sure the trainers have plenty of oxygen and Ben Gay handy. Just think of the great nicknames you could come up with for the second unit.(The Oldies but Goodies, the Old F**ts, Team Depends, etc.) At the end of the season, instead of exit interviews they can hand out AARP membership booklets and bumper stickers that say, "Let me tell you about my grandchildren." Experience is great, but only up to a point.
concerned and thankful

Winter Park, FL

#12 Aug 22, 2007
Paul Bearer wrote:
This is sad. Is management really thinking about this ? If that's the case, they shouldn't be building a new stadium. They should be playing in a giant tent, so there's room for the REST OF THE CIRCUS.
Did the Sentinel print this for a laugh ? What's next -- a Dog Training column by Michael Vick ?
I like your thought process...
Dow11

Kuttawa, KY

#13 Aug 22, 2007
Read the article. Otis is not considering this. The statement was made by Oakley himself.
Paul Bearer wrote:
Bob

United States

#14 Aug 22, 2007
I say bring back Terry "The Catman" Catledge then.

Since: Jun 07

New York, NY

#15 Aug 22, 2007
if you want toughness why not sign that serbian guy that we drafted in this year's draft, instead of letting him play a year in europe? and i'm not talkign about gortat, the serbian guy looks like a 6 foot 10 inch ufc fighter, and he's young for one thing. oak is what? 6'8 at the most? that's not a big man these days, that's a lebron and mcgrady.
WTFnot

United States

#16 Aug 22, 2007
Some of you are missing his point. He's not saying he will be the greatest athlete on the team. He is saying he will teach them toughness and heart. And anybody who has ever watched Oak play knows he has alot of both. He would be a teacher and mentor while being a serviceable backup. Oak even stated he would be behind Howard and Battie. No visions of grandeaur here. He knows how he can help. Sign him already.
Sean

Houston, TX

#17 Aug 22, 2007
Kevin Willis did not join the Houston Rockets last year...he joind the Dallas Maverics...Get It Together Man
Wordsmith

Atlanta, GA

#18 Aug 22, 2007
Kevin Willis, owner of one championship ring (2003 with the Spurs), various Atlanta Hawks record, and the NBA record for oldest player to ever score in a game, came back in 2007 with the Dallas Mavericks, not the Houston Rockets.
Wordsmith

Atlanta, GA

#19 Aug 22, 2007
Atlanta Hawks records (plural). Even Wordsmith is not immune...
Colombiano

United States

#20 Aug 22, 2007
WTFnot wrote:
Some of you are missing his point. He's not saying he will be the greatest athlete on the team. He is saying he will teach them toughness and heart. And anybody who has ever watched Oak play knows he has alot of both. He would be a teacher and mentor while being a serviceable backup. Oak even stated he would be behind Howard and Battie. No visions of grandeaur here. He knows how he can help. Sign him already.
and I'm sure he could teach Howard a few moves and can make him some what better, but why would we waste a stop on him????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charles Oakley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Float this: Noah a starter (Oct '07) Oct '07 Scotty Gee 6

Charles Oakley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE