O'Brien might just be the right guy for the job

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Yeah, I hear the groaning. Jim O'Brien? He's a retread. Got fired twice before. Guess Bill Fitch and Dick Motta weren't available.
Comments
61 - 76 of 76 Comments Last updated Jun 9, 2007
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jazzwolf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Jun 1, 2007
 
I want to give Larry Legend's choice the benefit of the doubt, but after the past three years not sure how much benefit of the doubt is left. Take a deep breath - exhale. Ok - that's better. There's no logical reason to think that O'Brien isn't up to the task. Not the jazziest coaching name out there, but Indiana isn't La-La-Land or the Big Apple and glitz is overrated anyhow. If O'Brien can put a competitive product on the Conseco hardwood that actually plays hard and competes every game, that should be enough to warm the hearts of Pacer Nation.
magi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Jun 1, 2007
 
Tinsley and Daniels would make good shipmates...ship them out.
poker pro

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Jun 1, 2007
 
S Diddy wrote:
<quoted text>
You could have said the exact same things about JO when the Pacers acquired him from the Blazers.
yeah we gave up Dale Davis...he's no J.O. dont get me wrong i love DD but that trade was a $ move for us. we have to get someone who's gonna do things if we give up J.O. In all said we the pacer fans can thank dumb ron for all our problems and ruining reggies last years...thanks ronny
Adam

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Jun 1, 2007
 
Wow, we'll make the playoffs... that's exciting, oh wait, it isn't. Let's tank next season and get Eric Gordon.
Larry Bird

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Jun 1, 2007
 
Guys, I hired Jim Obrien because his initials are JO and when Jo is mentioned in the wake of what has happened to this team over the past few years it has been negative, having another JO to deflect some of the criticism can be good thing and if JO performs better than in the Past JO will be better because of it. Now if I can can make a play for Kobe or KB than JT is out of here like yesterday's jock straps..
Bob on this

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66
Jun 1, 2007
 
Kravitz is inept as the front office in writing a meaningful piece on the Pacers situation and how to correct it. What's your solution,Bob? on this!
Bill

Sun City, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#67
Jun 1, 2007
 
You speak of San Antonio defense. I believe that more important than SA's defense is the strong support they receive from the commissioners office. Without the loyalty, support and strategic moves that guarantee SA a spot in the finals, Tim Duncan is fishing now. SA's d has nothing to do with winning. It is all the commish and his loyal support of Timmy D.
JudQ

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68
Jun 2, 2007
 
To Pat in Madrid, Spain: maybe you need to actually read my comments instead of correcting me for something I didn't say. I said they should just eat the salaries of Tinsley, Murphy and Dunleavy and that the Simons need write-offs anyway. In other words I said they should just give these guys away if they can't get anybody in trades for them. It would be nice if you learned to read first before you try to educate or correct someone.

Since: Jan 07

Hopatcong, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69
Jun 2, 2007
 
Larry Bird wrote:
Guys, I hired Jim Obrien because his initials are JO and when Jo is mentioned in the wake of what has happened to this team over the past few years it has been negative, having another JO to deflect some of the criticism can be good thing and if JO performs better than in the Past JO will be better because of it. Now if I can can make a play for Kobe or KB than JT is out of here like yesterday's jock straps..
Why in hell are we blaming this mess on Jermaine O'neal? This franchise is in disarray because of bad business moves. This is classic Indiana crap. Blame Bird and Donnie. Quit spinning and look at the moves made plane and simple!

Since: Jan 07

Hopatcong, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#70
Jun 2, 2007
 
Bill wrote:
You speak of San Antonio defense. I believe that more important than SA's defense is the strong support they receive from the commissioners office. Without the loyalty, support and strategic moves that guarantee SA a spot in the finals, Tim Duncan is fishing now. SA's d has nothing to do with winning. It is all the commish and his loyal support of Timmy D.
More crap! How do you come up with this mess. Now it is the Commissioners fault!? Blame everybody but the real person. Bird sucks as a GM plane and simple. Our problems are deeper than we want to admit. We are very uncomfortable with the kind of players that could bring us wins. Let's keep shoveling the Dunleavey's and Murphy's in here, because They will do the trick! Right???

Since: Jan 07

Hopatcong, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#71
Jun 2, 2007
 
Jazzwolf wrote:
I want to give Larry Legend's choice the benefit of the doubt, but after the past three years not sure how much benefit of the doubt is left. Take a deep breath - exhale. Ok - that's better. There's no logical reason to think that O'Brien isn't up to the task. Not the jazziest coaching name out there, but Indiana isn't La-La-Land or the Big Apple and glitz is overrated anyhow. If O'Brien can put a competitive product on the Conseco hardwood that actually plays hard and competes every game, that should be enough to warm the hearts of Pacer Nation.
La-La-Land or the Big Apple??? We will be the Central division Be-otch for the next ten years, And We will get what we deserve. Quit moaning and take your medicine. SOME Pacer fans are really starting to sound ridiculous. This stuff is what losers say. Dunleavey and Murphy are a competitive product? Why do you think Golden State LET THEM BOTH go??

We need players who are willing to play with a chip on their should not this crap we are getting.

I say we had better hold on the any Marquee player we have. The Conseco Fieldhouse is becoming a freaking wasteland for every B-list player in the league.
Neoimpressionist Agitator

North Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#72
Jun 4, 2007
 
JudQ wrote:
To Pat in Madrid, Spain: maybe you need to actually read my comments instead of correcting me for something I didn't say. I said they should just eat the salaries of Tinsley, Murphy and Dunleavy and that the Simons need write-offs anyway. In other words I said they should just give these guys away if they can't get anybody in trades for them. It would be nice if you learned to read first before you try to educate or correct someone.
If the Simons simply cut Murphy and Dunleavy, their salaries would still count against the salary cap for the duration of their contracts. So you'd be down two players and would have no money to replace those roster spots. The only way the contracts don't count against the salary cap is if the players retire. NBA payrolls don't operate like the other leagues, so simplistic solutions such as the one you're putting forth aren't even worth the time to discuss.
BSU

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#73
Jun 5, 2007
 
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
Jermaine is an all-star caliber player that was 3rd in the running for the MVP award a few years ago. He playing through injuries last year. Yes, Bynum and Farmar are very young and not as talented. The salaries don't even match up, seeing as how O'Neal is making max. money and Bynum and Farmar are still on rookie contracts.
Good point about the salary cap...but without doing research, I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't have a bad contract or two that they could throw in to even out the salaries. I actually like JO...but it just doesn't seem to be working out. Unfortunately, he is the only one we can trade to actually try to re-build the team. At least the young players give the team some hope. Whether they actually turn out to be any good is another story. But the Pacers can be as good as last year with or without JO.

Since: Jan 07

Hopatcong, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74
Jun 5, 2007
 
BSU wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point about the salary cap...but without doing research, I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't have a bad contract or two that they could throw in to even out the salaries. I actually like JO...but it just doesn't seem to be working out. Unfortunately, he is the only one we can trade to actually try to re-build the team. At least the young players give the team some hope. Whether they actually turn out to be any good is another story. But the Pacers can be as good as last year with or without JO.
This is the fact about Jermaine, it is unfair to him to keep him on this team. He has had to play out of position with a body not made to do so. Even Duncan struggles at time in the 5 role. But Jermaine in his rightful positin and 4 is really too good for the Pacers right now. Because of that, he should be allowed to go to a team that is not rebuilding, and we can get some value out of the deal as well.

We are so quick to bad mouth a guy who has really done a lot for this team when people like Jonathan Bender were being carried by the Pacer organization. I really was hoping that Bender would be the player he was expected to be. IF... he had that may have changed our destiny completely. Sometime we are such ungrateful Bast==ds. I say Good Luck to J.O. wherever he goes.
Glenn Watkins

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75
Jun 9, 2007
 
I often here so-called superstars get unfair treatment when their respective teams are constantly on the losing end of the majority of their games and in this case Jermaine Oneal is no different; he calls himself a superstar and yes he has endured some awful seasons as a Pacer, but so did Reggie Miller and he hung in there to see the Pacers through some winning seasons, and to the NBA finals. There is something to be said for loyalty - the league, Pacers, and we fans owe nothing to Jermaine or these other so-called superstars. They owe it to us [fans], owners and respective cities to find a way to have winning records and not complain that they don't have enough talent around them to win games these other players are also professional and they should develop their games in the off season so that they too can play to win and not simply collect a paycheck.

The Pacers definitely have enough talent, but their talent is used unwisely. David Harrison should be used more. He is an athletic 7' center with quickness, jumping ability and agility; why was he constantly on the end of the bench with a DNP because of the coaches’ decision. One constantly hear Kobe cry about not having enough talent around him to be successful and when you see the accomplishments of LeBron James, it’s difficult to listen to the cries of insufficient talent, players like this need to grow up and play and stop the whining. Do you see Kevin Garnett ask to be traded? No, he and has loyalty to his team, teammates, coaches and city. When players like Chris Webber and Gary Payton chase rings by jumping from team to team, that in my opinion dampens the quest for champions.

Glenn

Since: Jan 07

Hopatcong, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#76
Jun 9, 2007
 
Glenn Watkins wrote:
I often here so-called superstars get unfair treatment when their respective teams are constantly on the losing end of the majority of their games and in this case Jermaine Oneal is no different; he calls himself a superstar and yes he has endured some awful seasons as a Pacer, but so did Reggie Miller and he hung in there to see the Pacers through some winning seasons, and to the NBA finals. There is something to be said for loyalty - the league, Pacers, and we fans owe nothing to Jermaine or these other so-called superstars. They owe it to us [fans], owners and respective cities to find a way to have winning records and not complain that they don't have enough talent around them to win games these other players are also professional and they should develop their games in the off season so that they too can play to win and not simply collect a paycheck.
The Pacers definitely have enough talent, but their talent is used unwisely. David Harrison should be used more. He is an athletic 7' center with quickness, jumping ability and agility; why was he constantly on the end of the bench with a DNP because of the coaches’ decision. One constantly hear Kobe cry about not having enough talent around him to be successful and when you see the accomplishments of LeBron James, it’s difficult to listen to the cries of insufficient talent, players like this need to grow up and play and stop the whining. Do you see Kevin Garnett ask to be traded? No, he and has loyalty to his team, teammates, coaches and city. When players like Chris Webber and Gary Payton chase rings by jumping from team to team, that in my opinion dampens the quest for champions.
Glenn
Only a handful of teams have ever won a championship. Only a handful have ever even gotten to the finals. What makes you think that the right chemistry of players, coaches and yes even fans don't play a part. One of the things that sickens me is that fans play "the money card". They seem to think that because these players make alot of money they should bring a championship to their city. Actually it is a testament to the level of play that explains how difficult it is. So many great players played during the Michael Jordan era. So many of them were disappointed and never got to the pinnacle.

Fans have no loyalty to players. You can have 10 great years as a player, have one bad year and you are suddenly a bum who is being booed. Example Derek Jeter, A-Rod, even Pedro Martinez. Fans give players Death threats... did you read that? DEATH THREATS!!! I am not a player but your diatribe about how fans deserve loyalty is a crock to me. Play for yourself... be the best you can be for your namesake not MAINLY for fans. They are wwwaaayyy to fickled!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brian Shaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Phil Jackson to advise Pistons on coaching hire (May '13) Aug '13 Raj Human at Nature 2
Pacers expect offseason changes after playoff run (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 1
Lakers Rumors: Who Should Replace Mike Brown If... (Aug '12) Aug '12 sam 2
Reports: Magic start interviews for head coach;... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Lois 1
L.A. Lakers: A Lesson in Mismanagement - How No... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Tengis 1
Charles Barkley's advice for Minnesota Timberwo... (Jul '09) Jun '11 Sammy 17
Cleveland Cavaliers ex-coach Mike Brown being c... (May '11) May '11 Water Boy 7

Search the Brian Shaw Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••