SHELBURNE: Lakers' bit players need t...

SHELBURNE: Lakers' bit players need to play bigger roles

There are 11 comments on the LA Daily News story from May 22, 2009, titled SHELBURNE: Lakers' bit players need to play bigger roles. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

They are small roles, but as the theatrical folks might say, in the playoffs there are no small roles, only small actors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Kansas City, MO

#1 May 22, 2009
The Lakers really need to clean house this summer.
The bench mob is far too immature for a championship team.
There's room for only one star on the Lakers.
Tom Kingsley

North Las Vegas, NV

#2 May 22, 2009
Sasha/ D Fish 1-13

enough said

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 May 22, 2009
The Lakers have no 4. They really do not currently have a 5. Pau is a weak 3, at best. Everyone talks about the Lakers great size advantage, but anybody knows who has played the game that the legs (base) is where the difference is made on rebounding and getting post position. Bynum and Pau are so slow and have no base strength that they get pushed literally under the basket on offensive rebounds where it is impossible to get the rebound or have no strength to get past stronger 4s and 5s like Kenyon Martin, Nene, Anderson, Scola even! Powell has the strength as does Mbenga, but they do not give the opponents pause and leave them completely uncovered when Lakers are on offense, otherwise their strength and will to push back could be used by PJ. As it is, Kobe will be offset by Melo, and no answer for Chauncey makes the backcourt a net negative. The Lakers frontcourt will be constantly dominated by the Nuggets. Pau's numbers on Thursday are deceptive, considering the many times he lost the ball or was pushed away from helping with rebounding or catching the ball. The Lakers are the ones with the frontcourt disadvantage and until MK gets some players in that are true 4s and 5s with some quickness, we will continue to waste the greatness of Kobe on almost-championship runs. Even Shaq had more quickness than Bynum will ever have. Quickness is there in your youth and is not teachable. Pau is so out of his element as a 5, but that is our only choice at this point with the passive, slow, detached Bynum that is part of this playoff run, which will end shortly, unfortunately. Bench Bynum and put Mbenga in for short bursts to get 6 fouls and push back on the thug-Martin. The refs are a disgrace this series so far, also!

United States

#4 May 22, 2009
Phil Jackson did have a choice! He chose to sit Bryant for the entire first half of the second quarter, in Game 2, against the Nuugets. That was when they got back into the game. Again, in the fourth quarter, Jackson had Bryant sit while the Lakers were getting close to overtaking the Nuggets to get a win. Perhaps, giving those players that are hot a rest is just giving the game to the opponent. This has been a trend ever since the playoffs began. Stick with what is winning and don't change it, unless it absolutely needs changing!
Laker Fan

Los Angeles, CA

#5 May 22, 2009
Sasha sucks!!! Farmer needs to take Fisher's position! Bynum needs to dominate and needs more playing time.
Laker fan weeping

Shingletown, CA

#6 May 22, 2009
Loved the Lakers for years...but what the hell are they doing? Sadly, I say that they will be eliminatd by Nuggets....and I wish Jackson would stop sending in the bench crowd when Lakers are only up 14. Everyone knows they could lose twenty points in just a few minutes. So leave in the starters until you're far enough ahead to sacrifice a few points with the benchers.
Anyhow, better luck next year, Kobe and Co. I am depressed and sadden.
gary Remolador

#7 May 22, 2009
All of you are Panic in second game.Not only contest by shooting but only wise Defense and Teamwork.If youre not doing good for 3rd game you better quit and sleep soundly! Bynum nothing done. better quit in Lakers.Good Luck.

Los Angeles, CA

#9 May 22, 2009
you guys who write comments, you all don't know the real stories of what's going do I.
Anyway I don't care!!!!!
Whatever, I am winning here in Vegas.
role of veterans

San Diego, CA

#10 May 23, 2009
When I look at what a great job the Magic bench is doing with Anthony Johnson at point, I wonder if maybe it would be a better idea to put D-Fish in w/ the 2nd rotation and have Farmar or Shannon Brown start. They're both able defenders, and can shoot, and they both know the system and stay in the play. It just seems that whenever the starters rest the game collapses for the Lakers. Fluke Walton, Farmar, and Vujacic look like a bunch of amateurs out there, totally confused, and (as someone said above) Gasol isn't strong enough an offensive option b/c he's always getting pushed out of the paint. Maybe a veteran guard might be better at holding the fort while the starters get some rest.

Of the four teams I see in the playoffs, right now the Lakers look the weakest. Kobe's making the difficult transition to maturity, and although he's still responsible for the lion's share of points, he can't score at will like he used to. There's a certain desperation in his play, too, that makes the players around him nervous. He, Fisher, and LO are now the veterans of the team, but either they aren't providing leadership to rally the troops or they aren't getting everyone else on the same page, the way KG did for Boston, or Chauncey is doing for Denver.

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jun 5, 2009
Lakers rock
lakers favorite fan

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jun 5, 2009
Kobe bryant rocks and im personally your favorite ran

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Shaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LA Lakers Are Best Landing Spot for Quincy Mill... (Nov '14) Nov '14 LAKER4LIFE 1
News Phil Jackson to advise Pistons on coaching hire (May '13) Aug '13 Raj Human at Nature 2
News Pacers expect offseason changes after playoff run (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 1
News Lakers Rumors: Who Should Replace Mike Brown If... (Aug '12) Aug '12 sam 2
News Reports: Magic start interviews for head coach;... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Lois 1
News L.A. Lakers: A Lesson in Mismanagement - How No... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Tengis 1
News Charles Barkley's advice for Minnesota Timberwo... (Jul '09) Jun '11 Sammy 17
More from around the web