D'Antoni's system could help with salary cap

Full story: Newsday

Donnie Walsh's next order of business, now that a coach is in place, is to give this roster a little curb appeal.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated May 21, 2008
Saj

Flushing, NY

#1 May 17, 2008
Great article
LIAM

Hialeah, FL

#2 May 17, 2008
I miss Isiah already! haha
HShoopsfan

London, UK

#3 May 17, 2008
We need the Beast!
s n o o z e day is a rag

Brooklyn, NY

#4 May 17, 2008
The NBA should allow Dolan to move the Knicks to Seattle, then give NY an expansion team. A roster of nobodies would be better than what's here now.
MCJ

Philadelphia, PA

#5 May 17, 2008
There is talent on this team. A mixmatch of talent yes, but it is there. If D'Antoni can turn guys like Boris Diaw into top echelon players, imagine what he can do with a guy like Balkman, who is basically the same player. The Knicks should see what can be done with what they have before rushing out and making any wholesale trades. In the end, it may turn out the D'Antoni was the perfect choice for the Knicks in theircurrent situation.
Mark

Hingham, MA

#6 May 17, 2008
If Eddy Curry were to improve his numbers and then decide to opt out of his contract to test the waters the following season, that would be the equivalent of winning a state lottery for the Knicks. They'd get out from under a contract that was awarded to this player with the promise that he would develop into a top-notch young center. Opting out would also be instructive for Curry, his agents and those fans who want to ignore the fact that other than low-post scoring, this guy is a major liability on the court. He can't rebound, defend, block shots or even attempt to stand between a dribble penetrator and the basket.
In searching for a new contract for greater riches, exactly what body of work would Curry and his representatives focus on to give another GM the confidence to offer a better contract than the one he's got with the Knicks? He hasn't come close to earning the money he's making on that contract. Worse yet, he doesn't hustle.
There are so many Knicks' fans out there who have been waiting and waiting for this team to turn it around. To do that, you need new decision-makers (done), a new coach (done) and a new attitude to replace the losing culture (not done yet). That means doing everything you can to rid yourself of malcontents and underachievers with no incentive to improve. Curry is far from the only problem with this team's roster, but you have to start somewhere and some of the others are coming off the books after this next season, so it's probably worth it to keep them at this point.

Bob

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 May 17, 2008
d'antoni will not win with the knicks. bad fit. as long as dolan is owner, we will NEVER win a thing.
Bob

Venice, FL

#8 May 17, 2008
I hope Q and Curry are shipped out ASAP. Q has been a disaster in NY and his pledge NOW to get in shape rings hollow. He got paid too much darn money to be saying that NOW he will earn his pay because the right coach has been hired. All talk, no action. Curry, well we all know why he should be shipped. Hope there are some suckers out there who will take them.
Skot

Reedley, CA

#9 May 17, 2008
I really do like the hiring of Mike D'Antoni as the coach. If for nothing else then at least for radically changing the system. Who knows what will come of it, but while being stuck with the salary cap, it doesn't hurt to try and do something different. I never understood how things would have been any different if Mark Jackson was the coach instead. With no experience in coaching, turning over this kind of roster to him would have been disastrous. The one thing I don't like about Mark is his insistence on getting a head coach's job directly without putting in the time as an assistant. I have always been vary of people looking for a shortcut. Look at all the great coaches around - Greg Pop,Phil Jackson, Pat Riley etc., they all first served as assistants. Hopefully, he will realize his folly and will try and enroll as an assistant somewhere.

As for Zach, may be guys like Alan can try and talk around the league with the GMs to try and guage the kind of interest there is in Zach and others. I remember when Zach was first traded to the Knicks, there were a lot of murmurs around the league that Portland could have gotten more for him than what they did. Since arriving in NY, Zach's numbers have not gone down and has behaved well enough, so why would interest in him lessen. I would target some good teams with money and lacking a low post scorer - teams like Dallas, may be Houston, may be Philly etc.
dud dew

Wilmington, DE

#10 May 17, 2008
Interesting take. One disagreement: The Crawford decision is not hard, right now. His game is as inconsistent and low-IQ as when he got here, He's John Starks without the defense - win ya one on Tuesday, indifferent presence on Thursday, shoot ya out of it by halftime on Saturday. Hence, at least partly his fault, the embarrasing number of wins during his stay.
New coach will have to tap previously unused parts of his brain to make the choice tough...
kivelie

New London, CT

#11 May 17, 2008
the knicks should pursue a trade, sending zach randolph to denver, for linas kleiza. he runs well, can hit threes , can drive to the hole, and can defend. Make this happen!
david

Wantagh, NY

#12 May 17, 2008
The only way the Knicks can trade any of these guys is if Isiah leaves the organization, and gets hired by some other idiot owner as their team president/gm. Then we can trade anyone especially the out of shape, lazy, overpaid, can't play defense players, that blows up a team's salary cap for the next decade, who Isiah salivates and loves.
KJ from Queens

Atlanta, GA

#13 May 20, 2008
dud dew wrote:
Interesting take. One disagreement: The Crawford decision is not hard, right now. His game is as inconsistent and low-IQ as when he got here, He's John Starks without the defense - win ya one on Tuesday, indifferent presence on Thursday, shoot ya out of it by halftime on Saturday. Hence, at least partly his fault, the embarrasing number of wins during his stay.
New coach will have to tap previously unused parts of his brain to make the choice tough...
I see where you're going with this, but let's not compare J. Crawford to John Starks. Regardless of some of his inconsistencies, John Starks has provided some of the greatest memories in Knicks history. And (which you stated) he was a premiere defensive guard in the league for years.
HarleyRider

London, UK

#14 May 20, 2008
KJ from Queens wrote:
<quoted text>
I see where you're going with this, but let's not compare J. Crawford to John Starks. Regardless of some of his inconsistencies, John Starks has provided some of the greatest memories in Knicks history. And (which you stated) he was a premiere defensive guard in the league for years.
I agree. John Starks was a much steadier player as well. Crawford shoots way too much. He's not that good!
HarleyRider

London, UK

#15 May 21, 2008
I cant believe we're stuck with the 6th pick.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boris Diaw Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
San Antonio Spurs Have Driven Dallas Mavericks ... May '14 Tim 5
Spurs in international action: Italy vs. Ukrain... (Sep '13) Sep '13 mark 1
2013 NBA Finals: Miami Heat vs San Antonio Spur... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Peter Griffin21 2
NBA Finals Preview, Prediction: Miami Heat vs S... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 2
Tim Duncan stays with Spurs for 3 more years (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 2
Spurs aim to take commanding 3-0 lead over Jazz (May '12) May '12 Anonymous 1
Surging San Antonio Spurs top Cleveland Cavaliers (Apr '12) Apr '12 Split Lickety 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Boris Diaw People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••