Johnny "Red" Kerr honored by Bulls

Johnny "Red" Kerr honored by Bulls

There are 70 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 10, 2009, titled Johnny "Red" Kerr honored by Bulls. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

They were worried he might not be well enough to make the tribute in his honor, that he might not have the strength to sit through the ceremony or the vigor to be brought down onto the court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
MR BULL

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 10, 2009
Ben Gordon made this this a Night to remember for Redd!
Im so glad he hit that Game winner for Red.
He Deserved it!
Go Bulls!
Jon

Springfield, MO

#2 Feb 10, 2009
I miss johnny alot, he was chicago bulls and i almost teared up seeing up struggle to talk, his voice was a staple in my household as a kid for me and as i grew up...i just wish all the best for johnny, behind jordan and pippen he is my favorite
Nada Surf

Mesa, AZ

#3 Feb 10, 2009
I had no idea he was that sick...
I was very sad to see that.
He was quite the character on the telecasts.
Michael

Oak Park, IL

#4 Feb 10, 2009
It's real sad seeing Johny like this.. The ceremony was supposed to take place in April but they bumped it up in fear that Johny won't make it till then.(He has cancer and most fear he won't make it past this year). I'm glad Chicago was able to give him this great ceremony and the Bulls were able to fight back to give him a victory on his night.

God bless him
Pete

Paso Robles, CA

#5 Feb 10, 2009
Just returned from the game. That was a very emotional halftime ceremony. It was great to see everyone who turned out for it. Kerr deserved all the praise and more.
Go Bulls

Chicago, IL

#6 Feb 10, 2009
Thank you Johnny Red. You're the best.
Miles

New Orleans, LA

#7 Feb 10, 2009
My best childhood memories were narrated by your voice. Best Wishes, Johnny.

“You have NO idea!!!”

Since: Jun 08

Romeoville

#8 Feb 11, 2009
Just got home from the game tonight. I almost started crying listening to Red talk tonight!!! I didnt know he was sick at all til my buddy told me..i thought he was joking. I saw Red at the beginning of the season and he seemed just like Red!! He doesnt look like the same guy. Wish him and his family the best!!
Da Bearss

United States

#10 Feb 11, 2009
The best Bulls broadcast team ever was Jim Durham on play-by-play and Red on color back when they simulcast radio and TV. I can't believe they let Wayne "The Traitor" Larravee do Bulls games. If I were Mayor Daley, I'd have that Packer POS stopped at the border!
boss tweed mummert

Riverside, IL

#11 Feb 11, 2009
"Right street, wrong address," after an Artis Gilmore blocked shot. that's one of johnny's great one liners. johnny "Red" Kerr was always class and one of the greats for the game of basketball, and without doubt should be in the basketball "hall of fame."
Castle

Naperville, IL

#12 Feb 11, 2009
I am glad Pippen started out his speech by saying this night wasnt about him. No kidding Scottie it was Johnny Red Kerr tribute night.
Jane

West Chicago, IL

#13 Feb 11, 2009
The ceremony was amazing. I think everyone at the United Center was happy to be able to celebrate with Johnny Kerr.
florida bear

Saint Augustine, FL

#14 Feb 11, 2009
A great nite for RED ,it`s sad to think of the bulls,without him calling the game,especially having MJ and PIP ,honoring him.It`s also sad those 2 guy`s are not part of this organization,next to micheal and scottie,paxton`s still a 6th. man!!!!
michael p coy

Oswego, IL

#15 Feb 11, 2009
Gee it would be nice to know what Health Issues Red Has. He started doing reports early in the season and then he was gone?
BLS

United States

#16 Feb 11, 2009
"Red" my son and I miss you announcing the games on TV. Only the best to you. Terry T thanks for giving Red his due!
D Chicago

Chicago, IL

#18 Feb 11, 2009
Great night for Red.
John Anthony

United States

#19 Feb 11, 2009
I wish Red was back to replace Stacey King...Red was the man...

Since: Jan 09

Duluth, GA

#20 Feb 11, 2009
Da Bearss wrote:
The best Bulls broadcast team ever was Jim Durham on play-by-play and Red on color back when they simulcast radio and TV.
I agree - they were the best. I remember one game when the Bulls were up by about 40, and JD said that if this game kept going like it was, Johnny was going to start singing great Irish songs.

Also, in 1979 when Illinois beat Michigan State and Magic Johnson, WGN carried that game with JD and Red as the broadcast team. When they came back from a break at halftime, JD said that the singing you may have heard was Red singing "Hail to the Orange". A few years later, when Illinois lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament, Red said of the result that he was "Austin Peay'd off".
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#21 Feb 11, 2009
Great 2 see. Red seemed 2 be a good guy.
2 bad the franchise is currently in the condition it is in.
quills

United States

#22 Feb 11, 2009
Would have been a nice ceremony if Obama hadn't used it for a photo opportunity. His publicity team is working overtime and we have almost 4 more years of this, don't know if I can take it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Wennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Johnny 'Red' Kerr and Norm Van Lier remembered ... (Feb '09) Mar '09 Monk 5
News Deng looks unfit for Bulls' game vs. Kings (Jan '08) Jan '08 Lou 1
More from around the web