Magic must beat Pistons to become tru...

Magic must beat Pistons to become true contenders

There are 13 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 3, 2008, titled Magic must beat Pistons to become true contenders. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Even all these years later, Chuck Daly says it is still true. Just as it was way back then when Michael Jordan and his Chicago Bulls were trying to become champions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Tommy

Orlando, FL

#1 May 3, 2008
Can someone please tell this guy he is a moron and should not be covering the Magic what a negative prick...leave Orlando please, I can deal with the other sports writers but you suck and Stan Van Gundy showed your ass up last week...that was funny...bug eyed little man!!!!! Go work for Toronto you kissed their ass enough!!

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#2 May 3, 2008
LMAO

AOL

#3 May 3, 2008
I think this article is very well written and extremely insightful.

A couple of things though,(1) the George Mason of the NBA is a combo of the 76'ers & the Hawks. Now there are some over Achievers.
(2) Comparing a high jumping, no shots but a dunk center to Michael Jordan is absurd.

Dwights great, ok. But he will never be the cause for this team to win a championship. It's the surrounding talent that wins. Every NBA champion has been a team with more than (1)player that's Hall of Fame. Dwight can never do this alone not more than can Kobe, nor anyone else.

If Dwight doesnt get the teams help...the Magic go down. I actually believe they can beat Detroit.

The Pistons have had their time and now it's someone else's turn. But if it's to be the Magic... they damnn sure better bring Lewis, Hedo along with Dwight and try to keep Jameer and the other 2nd rate guards from screwing it all up as they often have.

It should be a FUN Series.
PointerOuterOfTh eObvious

United States

#4 May 3, 2008
Maybe all things lead through Detroit, but does it really matter. If you want to be a contender, beat the foes in your path. Period. Detroit, Toronto, or whoever. Otherwise, you're just another team who ended the season with a loss.
Dan

Orlando, FL

#5 May 3, 2008
LMAO wrote:
I think this article is very well written and extremely insightful.
A couple of things though,(1) the George Mason of the NBA is a combo of the 76'ers & the Hawks. Now there are some over Achievers.
(2) Comparing a high jumping, no shots but a dunk center to Michael Jordan is absurd.
Dwights great, ok. But he will never be the cause for this team to win a championship. It's the surrounding talent that wins. Every NBA champion has been a team with more than (1)player that's Hall of Fame. Dwight can never do this alone not more than can Kobe, nor anyone else.
If Dwight doesnt get the teams help...the Magic go down. I actually believe they can beat Detroit.
The Pistons have had their time and now it's someone else's turn. But if it's to be the Magic... they damnn sure better bring Lewis, Hedo along with Dwight and try to keep Jameer and the other 2nd rate guards from screwing it all up as they often have.
It should be a FUN Series.
Of course Dwight cant do it alone, but he WILL be the main reason the Magic win, it just wont necessarily be his scoring that leads to victory. Dwight is the anchor for everything the Magic do and is obviously the most important piece of the puzzle...dont kid yourself.
Row T Section 217

United States

#6 May 3, 2008
Forget the Pistons, watch out for the HAWKS hahahahaha. Boston you going down! Who would've thought the most mediocre team record-wise would take on the "best" team in the NBA to 7 games?
AFZ

Wellesley, MA

#7 May 3, 2008
The Magic need to take it to them physicall at the outset...hurt them. Push them around old school style.

If you're gonna foul 'em, FOUL them
Puglife

Detroit, MI

#8 May 3, 2008
Orlando has a good team this year, but I dont think they have the caliber of the Pistons. Pistons have too many weapons and a deep bench. Orlando has DH! Chauncey Billips is going to embarrass Nelson. GO PISTONS!!
Jim

United States

#9 May 3, 2008
Folks the first 6 minutes tonight will tell the whole story of not only game 1 but the entire series as well.

I think Detroit will come out of the gate with more energy and focus. Their liquored up crowd will get the Pistons going. I am afraid that the Magic will be somewhat intimidated by the noise and the wildness.

I believe that they will be put into a position early where they will feel like they have to start launching a bunch of 3's. When they do this Detroit will gobble up the rebounds of the many misses and get a lot of running opportunities.

Dwight will be totally frustrated with the physical play and the refs not calling any fouls. He himself will probably pick up some cheap fouls and will have to sit down earlier than normal.

At this point it will basically be game over. Detroit will probably build a pretty comfortable lead by halftime and then just cruise from there.

Folks dont get angry with me here. I am merely calling it like it is. The Magic have had a great season and have a lot of hope for the future. But for right now the Pistons are still their Daddy.

Yes indeed it is true folks that all the fun is over. As usual..*yawns*...Detroit is on their way to the Eastern Conference Finals.
Jim

United States

#10 May 3, 2008
And by the way, the Pistons are like the Atlanta Braves of basketball....all those Eastern Conference appearances..and yet only 1 championship...Ouch!!..Simply put, that's not gonna get it done.
Jim

United States

#11 May 3, 2008
Eastern Conference Finals appearances I meant to say.
w0ot

Homestead, FL

#12 May 3, 2008
Row T Section 217 wrote:
Forget the Pistons, watch out for the HAWKS hahahahaha. Boston you going down! Who would've thought the most mediocre team record-wise would take on the "best" team in the NBA to 7 games?
Yes and Im loving every bit of that series!!!:D
saltydog

Quezon, Philippines

#13 May 4, 2008
Magic are no match for the pistons they didn't even use all the weapons (A. Johnson didn't get his turn guarding Stuperman). We took him mano a mano and played up on the guards. We suckered them into driving the lane blocking it up no space for Stuperman our guards are bigger the lane is where our guards live the lane is where your guards die.
with our one on one Defense we don't have to leave the spot up shooters to help out. You play soft basketball and rely on jump shots that don't make for success in the playoffs good by and plan you summer vacation after game 4

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ben Wallace Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nocioni may be the igniter for Bulls (Nov '07) Mar '13 laz 2
Ben Wallace nude (Jun '12) Jun '12 Vernell 1
News Read comments or leave a comment (May '08) Nov '11 Packers 4
News NBA Basketball: 25 Players Who Haven't Made An ... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Jtgoeswoof 1
News 76ers top Pistons 110-94 to reach .500 (Feb '11) Feb '11 Grogan 1
News NBA Trade Rumors: 10 Vital Moves For The Detroi... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Slapsie 1
News Should the Detroit Pistons open the shooting gu... (Sep '10) Sep '10 van 1
More from around the web