Clippers broadcasters suspended for remarks about Iranian player

Full story: Long Beach Press-Telegram

Clippers longtime play-by-play announcer Ralph Lawler and color analyst Michael Smith were suspended one game by the Fox Sports Prime Ticket cable network for their comments about Memphis center Hamed Haddadi.
Comments
21 - 40 of 58 Comments Last updated Nov 29, 2009
Not in LA Anymore

Pinson, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

Some people would complain if you paid them a million dollars in one dollar bills, can't please some at any time.
batugan47

Riverside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

what the hell is wrong with their comments?They are joking!!!
PNUT

Calabasas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

What ever happened to having a sense of humor ?
Pretty soon we'll be limited to "Knock-Knock jokes" and "Pull my finger" .
Lighten up and laugh !!
Medieval Pundit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

Judged:

The sole complainer is a Clippers' season ticket holder, so we already know he's used to a lifetime of disappointment and sadness.
Ace Hole

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

Smith: "He's the first Iranian to play in the NBA."

Lawler: "Here's Haddadi. Nice little back-door pass. I guess those Iranians can pass the ball."

Inappropriate comments? Sounds like props to me and c'mon, Hamen does look like Sacha Boren Cohen lol
rude poster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

Judged:

The Iron Shiek wrote:
Iran number 1 and Russia number 1! USA stinks!
If your server location is any indication, it look like you live here. Not happy? Whose fault is THAT? You can't find happiness or prosperity in the nation that's got the most to offer then you must be pretty dumb. "Iran number 1 and Russia number 1!" Are you talking about basketball? Certainly you are not talking about economic prosperity, religious freedom, or rights for religious and ethnic minorities. And Russia,#1 in what? Space exploration? Maybe a close 2nd to us. But when you live here and say the USA stinks, it makes me wonder if your career at McDonald's isn't giving you the lifestyle you thought you'd have when you left your homeland. Cheer up. Soon you might get promoted from the frier to the window. In my neighborhood there are many immigrants; most find meaningful work in less than two years.
Oh Puleeze

Garden Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2009

This is just stupid. Come on! Everyone knows that Ralph and Mike are knuckleheads at heart. Never in a million years would they mean malice to ANYONE.
And by the way, why was the viiewer watching the Clippers anyway?
Patrick

Riverside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

Judged:

Ace Hole wrote:
Smith: "He's the first Iranian to play in the NBA."
Lawler: "Here's Haddadi. Nice little back-door pass. I guess those Iranians can pass the ball."
Inappropriate comments? Sounds like props to me and c'mon, Hamen does look like Sacha Boren Cohen lol
So, if the announcers were to say, I guess those Blacks can really play ball, or those Jews are really smart, you wouldn't find it offensive? The issue is public discourse and how to go about it. Just as you insist Lawler and Smith have the right to make those comments, does not the person offended have the right to complain. What is really evident here is that corporations can do whatever they want to do to their employees, just based on protecting the bottom line. Corporate fascism is incommensurable with democracy and free speech.
Laker Fan

Tarzana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

I hate the Clippers but like Ralph and Mike. Sterling is the devil. The people running Primeticket are knuckleheads, they dont know what they are doing day to day.
Brett Shepherd

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

Judged:

Then suspend the owner for admitting he never rents his apartments to blacks or latinos..THE LA CLIPPERS ARE A JOKE AND HAVE BEEN SINCE THEY LEFT BUFFALO.
westsidejesse

West Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

Medieval Pundit wrote:
The Clippers are a pathetic joke of a team, owned by a preening, self-promoting millionaire who just entered into a consent decree with the Justice Department due to rampant racial discrimination in the apartment buildings he owns. So maybe the announcers deserve to be spanked for their offensive commentary. The team and its owner are in enough hot water already; the announcers are only making a bad situation worse.
The Clippers' games should not even be broadcast -- having to watch them is a crime against humanity!
HATER! Go Clippers!!
Bruce

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

PC sucks, grow a thicker hide people.
hawkedd

Highland, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

So one piss ant Eye ranian doesn't like the way someone pronounced the name of where he is from. Too bad, how many times do people from Eye Ran bungle the English language?
Anon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

The season ticket holder did "the camel." According to my friend who hangs out with a lot of Persians, "the camel" is when someone gets overly offended by a relatively innocuous remark, and scrunches up his nose like a camel that just smelled a hippopotamus f**t.
Hamed Haddadi

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

Ralph & Mike,

F the wanker who complained. That was funny stuff. Look at it as a badge of honor for being suspended over something of this nature. Management at Fox needs to grow a pair.
CLIPPERS ARE LOSERS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

Wow ! What a cople of boneheads. That's like calling All African-Americans colored guys.
So sad and pathetic. It is 2010 and racism and ignorance is alive and well in America.
These 2 guys should pay fpr what they said. A one game susoension is a slap on a wrist.
How about apologizing to the 1,000,000 + Iranian-Americans who reside in Southern California.
Clippers are losers, in all aspects and positions of the organization.
Lawler and Smith are two iddots who should NOT be behind the microphone.
SHAME ON YOU LA\WLER !!!!!!!!!!
SHAME ON YOU SMITH !!!!!!!!!!
By the way, learn proper English, The country......Yeah..."THAT COUNTRY" Lawlwer has 6,000 + years of history and is pronounced "EERUN" not, "EYERAN"
Yoy two bozos displayed your lack of education, your racist views and your ignorance........
Go ClLIPPERS..........To HELL.......
Jonny Andres

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

This post is absolutely not offensive and people need to get thicker skin. This is one of the dumbest articles I have ever read. I feel less intelligent for having read it.
Nikoli Volcov

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

Judged:

Get a clue man. That was an old Iron Shiek bit from the WWF days. It used to enrage the crowd who would cheer on the good guys. You took the bait.
rude poster wrote:
<quoted text>If your server location is any indication, it look like you live here. Not happy? Whose fault is THAT? You can't find happiness or prosperity in the nation that's got the most to offer then you must be pretty dumb. "Iran number 1 and Russia number 1!" Are you talking about basketball? Certainly you are not talking about economic prosperity, religious freedom, or rights for religious and ethnic minorities. And Russia,#1 in what? Space exploration? Maybe a close 2nd to us. But when you live here and say the USA stinks, it makes me wonder if your career at McDonald's isn't giving you the lifestyle you thought you'd have when you left your homeland. Cheer up. Soon you might get promoted from the frier to the window. In my neighborhood there are many immigrants; most find meaningful work in less than two years.
Ace Hole

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

CLIPPERS ARE LOSERS wrote:
and is pronounced "EERUN" not, "EYERAN"
Yoy two bozos displayed your lack of education, your racist views and your ignorance........
Go ClLIPPERS..........To HELL.......
In the English language it is pronounced "eyeran", you don't expect people that speak a different language to pronounce it the same way the Iranians say it, i.e. Mexico is pronounced "meh-heeco" in Spanish, but in English, it's "Meksico". So you, my friend, are the one "displaying your lack of education, your racist views and your ignoracne".
GO LAKERS! lol

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

Judged:

Jonny Andres wrote:
This post is absolutely not offensive and people need to get thicker skin. This is one of the dumbest articles I have ever read. I feel less intelligent for having read it.
And your post PROVES it!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Baron Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tyson Chandler likes Knicks' additions at point... (Oct '12) Oct '12 tyan 3
NY Knicks' Amar'e Stoudemire, Baron Davis to ap... (Oct '12) Oct '12 eddie rodriguez 1
Jeremy Lin begins workouts with Rockets (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 6
New York Knicks Wise to Take Chance on Pablo Pr... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 2
Knicks Power Rankings: Impromptu Off-season Edi... (Jul '12) Jul '12 eddie rodriguez 1
New York Knicks Wise to Say No Thanks to Allen ... (May '12) Jun '12 manuel 4
NBA Draft 2012: 5 Players the New York Knicks S... (Jun '12) Jun '12 eddie rodriguez 1

Search the Baron Davis Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••