Could Scottie Pippen coach the Bulls?

Larry Bird never coached before he led the Indiana Pacers to the NBA Finals. Pat Riley was briefly a Lakers assistant but primarily a broadcaster before becoming one of the most decorated coaches in NBA ... Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
234ever

Chicago, IL

#2 Dec 30, 2007
his own comments prove he is unworthy. how about some more attacks on skiles to make your point Pippen!
Michael Lawrence

Lisle, IL

#3 Dec 30, 2007
Sure give him a chance - but have someone ready for the last 1.8 seconds when he sits out.
Bobby

Quakertown, PA

#4 Dec 30, 2007
I don't know how well Pippen could lead a team, but he certainly has the floor smarts -- I recall in the 2001 playoffs (Portland vs. LA) some of the younger LA players, who were still trying to figure out the triple-post offense, admitted that they would sometimes get their offensive set from hearing Pippen yell it out to his Portland teammates as they were running down the floor. With that kind of defensive insight, as well as the amazing one-on-one defending skills he gained, I'd think he should have a few more years of assistant coaching before getting a head coaching spot.
ilphil

AOL

#5 Dec 30, 2007
What has he EVER done that would make anybody think he would be a decent coach?
This whole story has got to be a very early April Fools joke...
whyWHY

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 30, 2007
Yes. Let's hire no-tippin' Pippen and his cheap butt to coach the bulls.

No thank you.
Donn

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 30, 2007
I'd like to see Pete Myers get his shot first. He put in the work.
Craig

Taos, NM

#9 Dec 30, 2007
I saw a short video clip on him, talking to some high school BB all-stars. They were asking his advice. Not very impressive. Comical, really.

“I comment, therefore, I am!”

Since: Sep 07

Wilmette, IL

#10 Dec 30, 2007
He's motivated. He's knowledgeable. He's a championship Bull. I would give him a chance over the retreads salivating for the job.
BADMONKEY

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 30, 2007
He would be a great head coach who will be able to understand and communicate with the crybaby prima donna athletes in today's professional leagues. He is one of them - a Big Gun Toting, Woman Slapping, Prima Donna Cry Baby.
ALFRED

Bonfield, IL

#12 Dec 30, 2007
No way!!!! He was never a leader. This was evident if you every watched him play. He is and always be looking for some else to do the work.
Former_Rktect

United States

#14 Dec 30, 2007
He can't even coach a high school team. I know him from an athletic club he use to belong and his communications skills sux! And he is always asking, "what's in it for me"?

If you want to dip into the old championship team, maybe Steve Kerr or even Craig Hodges.
The Flash

Glen Ellyn, IL

#15 Dec 30, 2007
Who you crappin'?
Kevin

United States

#16 Dec 30, 2007
With zero experience?

Will he be bringing the unregistered guns he carries into the area?

And what will he do as coach if one of his players refuses to follow directions, just like he famously did at crunch time?

Methinks no to Pippen.
Venkatesh Padmanabhan

Palatine, IL

#17 Dec 30, 2007
If you are naive enough to allow 1.8s to define a person's life, then you don't know the first thing about life, let alone basketball. Pippen has matured into a very articulate and balanced individual. There's no questioning his knowledge of the Xs and Os of the game. However, he needs to be surrounded by assistants who have been coaching in this league for a long time.

I'd certainly give him a chance to see what he can do. This season is almost a goner anyhow for the Bulls, so why not give him a chance right away?
BradM

Northbrook, IL

#18 Dec 30, 2007
politwriter wrote:
He managed a Dodge dealership on Western Avenue into bankruptcy.
Wrong. Scottie Pippin allowed his name to be placed on the dealership's name in exchange for a percentage of the profits. He had nothing to do with business decisions. He did not sell a single car there, and hardly ever showed up at the dealership. He did not run the business, nor was he ever intended to run the business. It was a name loan. And that's it.

Pippin did not manage that dealership into anything. He didn't manage it at all.

That said, I do agree that Scottie Pippin would make a lousy coach in the NBA. So would Michael Jordan make a lousy coach in the NBA. So would I, for that matter.

There are some people who have the strategic mind to coach basketball. There are at least three people I know of who do not have that mindset:

Scottie Pippin, Michael Jordan and me.
RegularGuy

Melrose Park, IL

#19 Dec 30, 2007
Ok, all the naysayers here should stop and think. John Paxson had only ONE season of Assistant Coaching (granted it was under Phil Jackson, Zen Master) before the Bulls made him GM.

So it's not so far-fetched to see Pippen as a new coach.

In fact, it might be preferable to get someone like Pippen rather than a retread coach who has had the same three years' experience with four teams.
Dave

Jacksonville, NC

#20 Dec 30, 2007
This guy is full of Bull, he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. What makes him think he's coaching caliber? Scottie has always been so full of himself that he wouldn't have a clue as to how to coach more millionaire primadonna's.

un-Bull-evable.
Michael Lawrence

Lisle, IL

#21 Dec 30, 2007
Venkatesh Padmanabhan wrote:
If you are naive enough to allow 1.8s to define a person's life, then you don't know the first thing about life, let alone basketball. Pippen has matured into a very articulate and balanced individual. There's no questioning his knowledge of the Xs and Os of the game. However, he needs to be surrounded by assistants who have been coaching in this league for a long time.
I'd certainly give him a chance to see what he can do. This season is almost a goner anyhow for the Bulls, so why not give him a chance right away?
He had a chance to lead but took the coward's way out, sat and pouted. This is a lack of character that he can never run away from.
Rob

Chicago, IL

#22 Dec 30, 2007
Let me think for a minute.

(thinking)

LOL !!!!!!!!!!
Leonard Reed

Bloomington, IN

#23 Dec 30, 2007
Sure, Scottie can coach the Bulls. With the defensive ability that Scottie possess it would definitely be a big help in stabilizing the poor defense that it on display at the UC these days. What it not Dr. J, that said "he would have liked to have challenged Scottie's "D" in his prime days" or am I mistaken? The offense being as weak as it is with such a low shotting percentage maybe the answer could possibly be to tighten-up the "D". We all know, whom watched the Bulls in their glory days, that Scottie was the defensive wizard of the team. He always played the toughest offensive player on the opposing team. Come on! Pax, at lease interview the man for the position. You were there and you know the man can definitely play "D". ENOUGH SAID.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avery Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why did the Interstate 35W bridge fall down? Ev... (Jul '10) Jul '10 ron 2
The King and his courtship: Nets billionaire ow... (Jul '10) Jul '10 tazd62 1
The King and his courtship: Nets billionaire ow... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Muff Daddy 4
Tyreke Evans returns from injury, but his Sacra... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Sammy 2
Some Orlando Magic fans are sure refs will rig ... (May '09) May '09 Magic Fan 119
Avery Johnson Jealous? (Apr '09) Apr '09 alwaysfor the mavs 1
Battling tougher defenses puts Jordan ahead of ... (Mar '07) Feb '09 WORD_LIFE 32
•••
•••

Avery Johnson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••