BREAKING NEWS: Johnson Out As Mavs Coach, ESPN Reports

The Dallas Mavericks and head coach Avery Johnson have parted company, ESPN reports. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
G-man

AOL

#1 Apr 30, 2008
We'll take him!!

NY Knicks # 1 Fan!!

He is an OUTSATNDING MAN & COACH
G-man

AOL

#2 Apr 30, 2008
Ooops! That's OUTSTANDING!
The PF

Mineral Wells, TX

#3 Apr 30, 2008
TOTALLY ridiculous!!! I'm madder'n'hell about this!!! Between Jerry Jones finding players from the Texas Penal System and Cuban bringing in players from the nearest nursing home, I must say I'm absolutely beside myself! And somehow it's Avery's fault? Please!!!!!!
xxx

United States

#4 Apr 30, 2008
The best move for the team but too bad it happened to such a nice man. Good luck, Avery!
juststoppedbeing amavfan

Jersey City, NJ

#6 Apr 30, 2008
Mark Cuban, you are an idiot!!! This man has brought so much to this team and now you let him go..Duh! It sounds like one more of those dumb things like trading to get Jason Kidd! Crack is not good for you!!
Gloria Gamez

United States

#7 Apr 30, 2008
I don't think it was all Johnson's fault for the Mav's to lose; it was more an Owner's fault; the trade should have never occurred and then if it had to occur,WHY LET GO OF HARRIS! ONE OF YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON THE TEAM....I AM DUMBFOUNDED AS TO HOW YOU COULD LET THAT TALENT LEAVE THIS TEAM! JOHNSON WAS A GOOD COACH BUT FOR SOME REASON, HE HAD LOST THE WILL TO WIN, PROBABLY DUE TO THE HIGHER UP BOSSES, OWNER & STAFF!
David

United States

#8 Apr 30, 2008
This is sad. What a way to reward the most successful coach in Maverick history.
txbrunette64

Arlington, TX

#9 Apr 30, 2008
Now, my comments on Avery...what a major flub on Cuban's part. I wouldn't be surprised if there are not more people that give up on being a MAV FAN. Some people just have more money than they do common sense!!!
Spurs fan now

Fort Worth, TX

#10 Apr 30, 2008
After defending Mark Cuban to my family who are Spurs fans, I have to say now GO SPURS!!!!!!
Monique

Richardson, TX

#11 Apr 30, 2008
SOOOOO sad! You'll let Avery go but keep Howard? What are YOU smoking!!!???
vrussell

College Station, TX

#12 Apr 30, 2008
This is crazy!!!!!!!!!! I am not sure that I will even watch the Mavs anymore. That Mark Cuban has done nothing but ruin the team... I respect all the players and Avery was awesome but Cuban needs to sit down and shut up.... Let the coach do his job.. and he did a fine job.... you can't blame a coach when the team isn't playing like they are supposed to... come on....if all truth be known there is not one person on the team who can make consistant baskets..... I mean they may make a few but they miss more than they make... teach the team to make baskets all the rest will fall in place...
Carla Holland

United States

#13 Apr 30, 2008
My husband just called to tell me the news. We WERE avid Mavericks fans. I agree with the previous guy...crack is NOT good for you Mark Cuban. How and where will you ever find another coach as good as or better than that? We give up.
Souljagirl2035

Dallas, TX

#14 Apr 30, 2008
Aw I will miss you Coach Johnson. I thought you were a great coach. I know the guys are going to miss you. Good Luck......
Hopeless Mavs fan

Spring, TX

#15 Apr 30, 2008
So... everything that went wrong with this season is Avery's fault??? When is Donnie Nelson and Cuban getting dismissed also?
Sam

Dallas, TX

#16 Apr 30, 2008
Can we fire Mark Cuban? I want to know who made the bonehead move to get rid of Steve Nash? That is when this team started going downhill. Fifty plus wins in the regular season gets you fired huh? You will never find a better coach than Avery. Did you ever stop to realize that it could be your players that are choking in the post-season and not the coaching staff? Also, Devon Harris was on his way up and Kidd is on his way down. I'm sure Cuban is behind these decisions... he needs to go.
MAd

United States

#17 Apr 30, 2008
You sold your soul to the devil Cuban
Spurs fan for good

Fairfield, CT

#18 Apr 30, 2008
Cuban has once again failed to see the real problem. I thought that they had a chance when coach Johnson took over, but now I have no hope. Maverick fans are now stuck with over the hill players and a fool for an owner. Thank heavens for the Spurs
E Morgan

Arlington, TX

#19 Apr 30, 2008
Avery Johnson is/was a tremendous coach with a fantastic and impressive career as the Mavericks coach.
Everything was going good, better than past coaches, until Cuban traded for Jason Kidd. He hasn't shown the amount of worth expected for what the Mavericks gave up in the trade.
It was bad timing, in the middle of the season, for the team to be pushed into having to adjust to new players. Why add unnecessary pressure. I like Cuban but he's a hindrance to the team.
Thank you
Gail J

Del Valle, TX

#20 Apr 30, 2008
Go figure....I guess we let Mr. Cuban & Donnie make more louzy decisions...get rid of our good players, bring in bad ones & get rid of the best coach our Mavs ever had!!!! I always have been a MFFL....not so sure any more :(
Stars Fanatic

United States

#21 Apr 30, 2008
Than God for Dave Tippett and the Stars!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avery Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why did the Interstate 35W bridge fall down? Ev... (Jul '10) Jul '10 ron 2
The King and his courtship: Nets billionaire ow... (Jul '10) Jul '10 tazd62 1
The King and his courtship: Nets billionaire ow... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Muff Daddy 4
Tyreke Evans returns from injury, but his Sacra... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Sammy 2
Some Orlando Magic fans are sure refs will rig ... (May '09) May '09 Magic Fan 119
Avery Johnson Jealous? (Apr '09) Apr '09 alwaysfor the mavs 1
Battling tougher defenses puts Jordan ahead of ... (Mar '07) Feb '09 WORD_LIFE 32