Some Orlando Magic fans are sure refs...

Some Orlando Magic fans are sure refs will rig series for Caval...

There are 119 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 19, 2009, titled Some Orlando Magic fans are sure refs will rig series for Caval.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Conspiracy theorists unite: you have a new crowd in your midst. All you UFO believers, JFK hypothesizers and moon-landing deniers, welcome in a group of Orlando Magic fans who seem to think the Cavaliers are on their way to the NBA Finals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#101 May 20, 2009
lol! Off Gortat and foul on Lewis back-to-back in 2nd quarter. I am not a conspiracy guy, but come on.:-D
Markussss

Port Clinton, OH

#102 May 20, 2009
Listen.. there have been BS calls on both sides of the ball so far this game, this post season and the regular season.

At the end of the day, the cavs have been up by 10+ the majority of the game. Say what you say about the refs, but they can't control that kind of game. The cavs are the better team and have been all season.. You can't rig, fix, or even influence a seven game series if it was NEVER CLOSE.
kenny

Auburn, WA

#103 May 20, 2009
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
lol! Off Gortat and foul on Lewis back-to-back in 2nd quarter. I am not a conspiracy guy, but come on.:-D
lol at the fact that the cavs have more PF'S then the magic...or that the magic cant stop lebron to save their lives!

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#104 May 20, 2009
kenny wrote:
<quoted text>
lol at the fact that the cavs have more PF'S then the magic...or that the magic cant stop lebron to save their lives!
Yeah, it definitely evened itself out by the end. If the refs were truly biased, they would not have called some of those off-the-ball fouls against Cleveland.

And I'm not so sure that wasn't a foul on C. Lee on Mo Williams shot on that last play.
NBAneedsMoney

Melbourne Beach, FL

#105 May 20, 2009
1st half seemed like Cavs were getting away with more physical play than the refs were letting the Magic get away with. The Cavs began with incredible energy, to their credit.

Definitely a couple calls were missed to the detriment of both teams...

But I think it was that last foul on Howard (that caused him to foul out) that was meant to secure the game for the Cavs. I mean, Howard jumped straight up in the air and Lebron's momentum drove him straight through Howard, and it being his 6th foul, overall it was a huge turn in the game at the end.

But Rashard Lewis hit 3 or 4 clutch shots to close out the game, and that's the only way to survive the "nudge"(s)- hit every shot.

Cavs thought it was going to be a Coronation. They got a bloody nose instead.

3 WINS TO THE FINALS!!!
David Stern

Lakeland, FL

#106 May 20, 2009
This is crazy, do you think just because the NBA, TNT, and NIKE would make hundreds of millions of dollars more if Kobe played Lebron in the finals it will have any effect on who gets the calls? Seminole County Rules
Chris

Fate, TX

#107 May 21, 2009
The NBA is the only sport I know of that has obviously different rules for different players. You never see Randy Moss throw a rookie DB to the ground and hear the announcer say, "Well they are never gonna call that on a star like Moss against a rookie."

In the NFL a penalty is a penalty no matter who you are, not so in the NBA.

It amazes me that the most shown and hyped NBA replay is of Jordan hitting the game winning 3-pointer against the Jazz after Jordan clearly pushes his defender to the ground! Seriously one of the most hyped replays of all-time shows a blatant non called foul against it's biggest star.
MikeG

Rochester, NY

#108 May 21, 2009
Um look at the first half last night. It IS happening. but we overcame
Sammy

Toronto, Canada

#109 May 21, 2009
MikeG wrote:
Um look at the first half last night. It IS happening. but we overcame
?
Shaq

Oviedo, FL

#110 May 22, 2009
CharlesB222 wrote:
Here's a not to Ernie Johnson of TNT...The only reason why the Magic made it to the ECF's and not Boston is because they blew them out, thus leaving the referees out of the equation where they could have worked their dirty deeds and personally saw to it that the Celtics advanced.
It will be the same in this series. The Magic really need to blow the Cavs out in most of the games in this series to keep the refs out of it.
You are 100% correct my friend...
Shaq

Oviedo, FL

#111 May 22, 2009
I counted at least 4 gimmie calls for the Cav's in the first half. "Ghost Calls"
Shaq

Oviedo, FL

#113 May 22, 2009
Stern was heard saying the other day...The finals will still be good if we don't have Lebron.

ESPN played the Kobe/ Lebron thing before last nights game. Just think ...They played that because neither may make it to the finals and if they would have saved it for Finals week. It waould have looked so stupid.. You can tell the pre-show was fabricated for the finals.

Fukk Stern!

“"Hoop there it is"”

Since: Mar 09

Windermere, FL

#114 May 22, 2009
Shaq wrote:
<quoted text>
You are 100% correct my friend...
DITTO on that!
Cliff Hall

Ione, CA

#115 May 22, 2009
Tom wrote:
There's no conspiracy...It's just a fact that NBA referees are the worst officials of all the professional sports. No matter how many years of experience, they are inept at doing a decent job. Prime example: for yeras, the league has been trying to curtail the "flops" and they notify officials about this during off-season, but they still call it. And the excuse that the game is too fast and players too athletic for the refs can be solved easily. Put more refs on the court. Football does it. They are on the sidelines and they gather to discuss penalties and such. NBA refs have bigger egos and the NBA is too stubborn to fix it. But people eventualy will get tired and turn away to other sports. And the NBA will be based on big markets team because medium/small markets will not be able to afford it to compete at the same level..
I believe that the euro soocer leagues have almost solved the problem with floppers. They give them a yellow card which in would be equivilant to a technical foul in the nba. Two flops your gone it may be a little extreme but it works.
MIke Tiger

Deland, FL

#116 May 24, 2009
yep refs rule the game
Richard C

Beijing, China

#117 May 24, 2009
Slight correction to the article title: This is where game-fixing happens alongside Lebron James.

When Game 2 got tight in the 4th quarter, the refs made 5 consecutive wrong calls, each time assessing a blocking/charging foul on the Magic, and in each instance the replay clearly demonstrated it was actually a foul on the Cavs. Assuming unbiased refs have a 5% chance of making a mistake, for unbiased refs to make 5 mistakes in a row against the same team the probability is 0.0000003125. Therefore, I’m 99.99997% sure the refs intentionally influenced the outcome of the game.

A side note: I wasn’t rooting for either team; I just wanted to catch a good game of basketball here in Beijing. Even the normally nonchalant Chinese announcers couldn’t contain themselves.“This is just brazen,” they offered. In a land where game-fixing happens regularly, this commentary speaks volumes.
Richard C

Beijing, China

#118 May 24, 2009
This is where game-fixing happens alongside Lebron James.

When Game 2 got tight in the 4th quarter, the refs made 5 consecutive wrong calls, each time assessing a blocking/charging foul on the Magic, and in each instance the replay clearly demonstrated it was actually a foul on the Cavs. Assuming unbiased refs have a 5% chance of making a mistake, for unbiased refs to make 5 mistakes in a row against the same team the probability is 0.0000003125. Therefore, I'm 99.99997% sure the refs intentionally influenced the outcome of the game.

A side note: I wasn't rooting for either team; I just wanted to catch a good game of basketball here in Beijing. Even the normally nonchalant Chinese announcers couldn't contain themselves. "This is just brazen," they offered. In a land where game-fixing happens regularly, this commentary speaks volumes.
kenny

Auburn, WA

#119 May 24, 2009
howard is so funny...he thought he was getting called for his 5th foul, and when he heard it was 3 seconds he just smiled...he knows he is in the paint ALL DAY LONG!

you guys are right...the officiating is leaning 1 way... 26 fouls and only 23 FTs...only 18 fouls and 32 freethrows...orlando is the ladder!
Magic Fan

United States

#120 May 27, 2009
Feel stupid yet?
BigT_inNC wrote:
I do think that more fouls will be called on the Magic in this series, and here's why:
Other than Dwight, most of the other Magic players are jump-shooters. The Cavs play extremely good defense, better than anyone else in the NBA, and the Cavs, especially LeBron James, will attack the rim, resulting in the Magic having to foul in order to keep it from being a blow-out.
I think the Magic could indeed win one or maybe two games, but I believe the Cavs will take it in 5

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avery Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why did the Interstate 35W bridge fall down? Ev... (Jul '10) Jul '10 ron 2
News The King and his courtship: Nets billionaire ow... (Jul '10) Jul '10 tazd62 1
News The King and his courtship: Nets billionaire ow... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Muff Daddy 4
News Tyreke Evans returns from injury, but his Sacra... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Sammy 2
Avery Johnson Jealous? (Apr '09) Apr '09 alwaysfor the mavs 1
News Battling tougher defenses puts Jordan ahead of ... (Mar '07) Feb '09 WORD_LIFE 32
News Dallas Mavericks aren't what they thought they ... (Jan '09) Jan '09 PacificGatePost 1
More from around the web