Magic fall to Pistons...again

Magic fall to Pistons...again

There are 60 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 23, 2007, titled Magic fall to Pistons...again. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Chauncey Billups scored 28 points and Richard Hamilton added 22 to give the Detroit Pistons a 94-89 win over the Orlando Magic on Friday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
big vern

Ocala, FL

#43 Feb 24, 2007
NUMERO UNO MAGIC FAN wrote:
Wow, a lot of haters here-but when they win, you all love them. Give me a break. I love them either way. There are a lot worse teams in the league!
and that proves what????? your attitute is just as bad as the teams expect nothing and if something happens then is all good right.
James T Eriksen

Springfield, OH

#44 Feb 24, 2007
The Magic really played hard. They should have done more at the end but they were spent. They have nothing to be ashamed of. Regardless of what the Pistons say, that was their greatest victory of the year. Darko and others repeatedly rushed their shots at times. This game will be a great stepping stone for the Magic. They had to have seen how the Pistons raised their intensity and at the same time remained calm and focused. The old "bad boy" Pistons learned to win by receiving many heart breaking losses at the hands of the Celtics and Lakers,
Jim
Cincinnati
Charles

Orlando, FL

#45 Feb 24, 2007
Forward Trevor Ariza - I didn't feel it was the right time to throw him out there, Dwag Coach!

That's why Penny fired you the last time. What throws off good teams is a twist they haven't considered.

Why is Hedo even starting, and (J. Nelson & Carlos) combo is too short. They are killing your ability to defend; [Turnover Queens].

Coach Hill is too careful, Trevor Ariza should be starting not Hedo. Dwight needs three stars around him - Vince,(Phoneix would have seen Ariza's stock rising much faster then coach Hill would) and a real NBA Point.

Otis, find some stars too surround Dwight with, you like your players, but "you got no stars". Hurry go get Vince - oh its too late.

Well, you better do something fast - nothing spell GM hell like - Lakers Purple & Gold.
tomas

Jacksonville, FL

#46 Feb 24, 2007
Were we watching the same game?

Chill out boys and girls. The Magic played the best, toughest team in the East even up for three quarters. How many points did Detroit score in the 4th quarter? This was a great game to watch. We showed spunk, determination and a willingness to do hard work. The best team won. But they had a fight on their hands. Passionless Ball? Not last night.

Thank you James T Eriksen & jLY for a little sanity.

Turk had an inspiring game.

Should the magic make the playoffs and get swept the first round, look at the bright side.

Yes, our weaknesses showed up. Particularly the over dribbling of the guards. But I have to disagree with Mattie Guokas a little bit. Who was open to pass the ball to? Detroit is very good at denying.

Playoffs? I want a team that competes. Last night we did that. If we do it every night...well we should do it every night.
Dan

San Antonio, TX

#47 Feb 24, 2007
big vern wrote:
<quoted text>if that is the best you can hope for, i can see why the team has no high expectations.
I was being sarcastic...
arnaldo

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

#48 Feb 24, 2007
what happen with brian hill . he love jamer nelson 5 turnovers and only 10 points in 36 minutes thats the pointguard that the hill love. arroyo only play 14 minutes with 8 points and 0 turnovers. ahy u no seat nelson and give arroyo the pointguard posotion or what you want to continue lose games with the inconsistent nelson?
fernand

Puerto Rico

#49 Feb 24, 2007
please send Jameer Nelson to the bench , i think arroyo does it better
Jonathan

Orlando, FL

#50 Feb 24, 2007
Yes lets stick with Jameer Nelson 2-8 from the field... all he score was on the f-t line because Detroit was given 2 T's. He made 5 TO's and and the end we lost the game because of him. The referees were not helping with the calls but Nelson sucks!! And we Didn't get rid of him!!!! Yay now we suck! I rather start Diener before starting Nelson!
mojo

Burton, TX

#51 Feb 24, 2007
Paul Allen wrote:
Did anybody hear that Otis Smith interview at halftime during the Pistons game? Is Otis Smith illiterate or what? He talks like he's on some kind of prescription medication and is very incoherent! Gotta love Affirmative Action, huh?
I understand bashing the fella for things done or not done that result in a sub 500 team, but to play the race card is insane. if it weren't for people like you who are bitter and can't stand to see someone else have anything there wouldn't have to be affirmative action. people like you lack basic common sense.
tomas

Jacksonville, FL

#52 Feb 24, 2007
The affirmative action was playing the race card. Not helpful. Not appreciated.
Almax

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#53 Feb 24, 2007
tomas wrote:
The affirmative action was playing the race card. Not helpful. Not appreciated.
AGREEE!!!!!!!!
Gramps

Lakeland, FL

#54 Feb 24, 2007
Heh, B. Hill does not make the turnovers or miss the shots. AND we got beat by the team with the best record in the East. Jameer and Carlos both dribble too much as stated by Mattie, so correct that and be patient. Lots of talent on this team and we still have time to make the playoffs. THEN there is next year !! G. Hill is somewhat like a "locker room coach" and good for those young guys. Garrity we don't need anymore and do some switching in the guard rotation. G. Hill does not get his number called enough. He can shoot and get the ball to the "bigs"...
big vern

Ocala, FL

#55 Feb 24, 2007
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I was being sarcastic...
got it. sorry about that....
Disappointed

Udine, Italy

#56 Feb 24, 2007
tomas wrote:
Were we watching the same game?
Chill out boys and girls. The Magic played the best, toughest team in the East even up for three quarters. How many points did Detroit score in the 4th quarter? This was a great game to watch. We showed spunk, determination and a willingness to do hard work. The best team won. But they had a fight on their hands. Passionless Ball? Not last night.
Thank you James T Eriksen & jLY for a little sanity.
Turk had an inspiring game.
Should the magic make the playoffs and get swept the first round, look at the bright side.
Yes, our weaknesses showed up. Particularly the over dribbling of the guards. But I have to disagree with Mattie Guokas a little bit. Who was open to pass the ball to? Detroit is very good at denying.
Playoffs? I want a team that competes. Last night we did that. If we do it every night...well we should do it every night.
Tomas the problem is that the Magic seem to stick with a lot of teams until the 4th quarter where they go for long stretches without making anything. It doesn't help any of the fans that they mailed in the 2 games after the All star break then finally decide they want to play. If they played hard all season they wouldn't get tired in the 4th quarter.

Anyone know how to get the sentinel writers to read these forums? I would like to know because they seem to treat the Magic players with more "kid gloves" than any other city sports writers do. Why not ask Brian Hill why he is to blind to start far better players or ask why Otis didn't try to trade for someone anyone not just carter but anyone who can shoot. Or even better why not during the post game interview when the players say something like "we need to come with more intensity" and "we're going to start bringing it every night". Uhm Jameer you said that after the last game the fans at home want to know if you're really going to bring it next time or if you're just saying it again because you don't know what else to say.

I mean the writers seem to spend more time kissing the players asses than giving them the kick in it. So if anyone knows of anyway we can get the writers to do the job they are to scared to do please let me know.
big vern

Ocala, FL

#57 Feb 24, 2007
and that boys and girls is why brian hill is coaching the magic and no one else. he sucks and so does the team... forget the run to the finals with b. hill he had very little to do with it. it was all about shaq and penny. if hill was any good the magic would have at least won a game back then. so in closing enjoy your lilttle pathetic team with your little pathetic coach...that's all they are going to be with him....and otis as well.
jim

United States

#58 Feb 24, 2007
Rich wrote:
It annoys me when the Magic players on the bench are laughing it up during the fourth quarter while the game is being lost. This team seems commited to having fun, no matter the situation, rather then commited to winning.
Rich,

I couldn't agree with you more. It seems like this tem is loaded with a bunch of (nice guys). Some one please show some anger, show some passion, atleast act like you care. Remember Darrel Armstrong ?

Since: Jan 07

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#59 Feb 24, 2007
B. Hill does not make the turnovers or miss the shots, but he insists to play players who do not deserve to be playing.

Jameer Nelson's last five games:

2/10 @NJN L 93-78 = 35 MIN, 6-19 FG, 2 TO, 4 AST
2/14 POR W 103-91 = DID NOT PLAY
2/20 @NYK L 100-94 = 31 MIN, 7-21 FG, 1 TO, 2 AST
2/21 @DET L 110-88 = 30 MIN, 3-9 FG, 3 TO, 2 AST
2/23 DET L 94-89 = 34 MIN, 2-8 FG, 5 TO, 6 AST

Numbers for Last 5 Games: 32.5 MPG, 18-57 FG, 2.8 TOPG, 3.5 APG.

Nelson & Hedo sucks!!!

I would start with:

Arroyo PG
Reddick SG
Hill/Ariza SF
Howard PF
Darko C
Gramps wrote:
Heh, B. Hill does not make the turnovers or miss the shots. AND we got beat by the team with the best record in the East. Jameer and Carlos both dribble too much as stated by Mattie, so correct that and be patient. Lots of talent on this team and we still have time to make the playoffs. THEN there is next year !! G. Hill is somewhat like a "locker room coach" and good for those young guys. Garrity we don't need anymore and do some switching in the guard rotation. G. Hill does not get his number called enough. He can shoot and get the ball to the "bigs"...
tvcel

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

#60 Feb 24, 2007
MagicAtic wrote:
B.Hill is not the problem.
See thats were you ruin your comments, B Hill is the problem.
He needs to go back to the Shaq offense where Howard, like Shaq, gets the ball EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!... Sorry, but Howard is not Shaq, and most of the time they try to pass him the ball and most of the time the ball is stolen or a traveling is called, yes fewer times he scores.
Darko should be on the otherside, ala Horace wating for the open jum shot, Jameer/Arroyo, better yet Diener feeding him the ball ala Skiles/Hardaway... Where have you being, Nelson is not a passer and Deiner is not up to this league. Deiner is lost as a child in a traffic jam.
Garrity getting too many minutes. Is Hedo this years Garrity... You are right!
Couple of vets to go along with Darko and Ariza and we will have a contender...actually eventhough Ariza is an energy infusion to this team he doesn't have the highest basketball IQ in the team; he only knows how to drive, he missed the passing course at college, simply those guys aren't ready for taking over a team. Which brings up another Magics' reality, that coaching staff is incapable of teaching anything to anyone: watch how Howard commits the same mistakes he committed two years ago.
11 YEARS WAITING FOR A CONTENDING PRODUCT AND COUNTING!!!!!...and by the way things are going add this year to your waiting calender, and hope that B. Hill and Otis are gone during the summer so you can start planning your budget for the playoffs next season; if not well lets change the name of out team to the Coronels and call al our adversaries The Harlem Globetrotters...
tvcel

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

#61 Feb 24, 2007
Carlito Brigante wrote:
The next ten games will decide if this team makes the playoffs or not. I still have hope and if they don't then it will be time to clean house. You get tired of the same thing every year... "Wait until next year", "This team is young", "Howard this" Jameer that".... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....
Actually the previous ten games denoted what is to come. It seems Otis is fine with idea of loosing every single night, or perhaps having a win now and then. Remember bad teams sometimes spoil good teams parties by achieving unexpected wins; and Orlando is quickly becoming a very consisten bad team.

A comment to Arroyo:
spent your summer bringing home the team, paying their bills and serving as a tour guide (Puerto Rico's beautiful beaches) and forget about great summer playing, forget the pre-Olympics. Remember this is the way of demonstrating leadership!!!, what happens in the court doesn't count...and if a challenger emerges don't worry those team buddies will be able to sabottage his performance in your favor, does the three feet airball master Battie rings a bell?

As for JJ Reddick: take the team to Hawaii and pay the expenses showing your great leadership on the court, remember that by autum you will be seating on the front seat and filming team promos. Don't worry JJ you won't be able to have any critisism due to your performance since with the bottom rock game time you are getting, by playing more you can only go in one direction, up, up and away!
Chas Jacksonville Fl

Jacksonville, FL

#62 Feb 25, 2007
Rich wrote:
It annoys me when the Magic players on the bench are laughing it up during the fourth quarter while the game is being lost. This team seems commited to having fun, no matter the situation, rather then commited to winning.
I TOTALLY agree. It has been bugging me frequently during this long loosing trend. Nelson is is the worst offender. How can any athlete competing at the highest level be anything but "mad as hell" when the team is loosing!! Bring in some talent that hates to loose and a coach who can fire them up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio McDyess Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spurs don't want just anybody at center (Dec '11) Dec '11 Cowboy fan11 3
News Grizzlies seal stunning upset by knocking off S... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Educated What 1
News Bosh, Heat pay back Spurs with 30-point romp (Mar '11) Mar '11 jerryj 1
News San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Lakers (Feb '11) Feb '11 jason -trinidad 1
News Near miss against Spurs pains Timberwolves (Nov '10) Nov '10 RHE 11
News For better or worse, Joe Dumars moves boldly (Jul '09) Jul '09 Ron B 1
News Bynum goes off to help Pistons escape Bobcats (Apr '09) Apr '09 PistonsEatPoop 2
More from around the web