Cavs take series lead

Cavs take series lead

There are 16 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Apr 23, 2007, titled Cavs take series lead. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

This entire Cavaliers-Wizards playoff rematch has been immersed in an anticlimactic haze, and Sunday's Game 1 followed in perfect step.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

TNT

New Philadelphia, OH

#1 Apr 23, 2007
I couldn't believe what I was hearing constantly during the game from the voices of TNT as they harshly criticized he Cavs for not "sending a message" to the Nets(?!) and by going easy on the Wizards. Meanwhile the Cavs stayed out front by 7 for most of the game. The one announcer kept saying how the Cavs were playing into Eddie Jordan plans, but didn't seem to notice the Cavs were winning the game pretty easily. At the end of the game, a 15-point victory, the announcer continued on how the Wizards could take something positive away from this game.

I didn't know that the team's objective was to impress the Nets, put the game away in the 1st period, or show something to the guys at TNT. I thought they were supposed to win the game and the series. They won the game without wearing themselves out. And again, they won by 15. Maybe they should have won by....25? 30?

Unbelieveable. Let the Wizards feel comfortable. Let the Nets (who I guess are going to beat the Raptors without any doubt) feel comfortable. And let us keep winning games.
Temple-Man

Warren, NJ

#2 Apr 23, 2007
It was definitely good to see Hughes and Z step up and contribute when LeBron was trying to shake off his injury. Ira Newble came in to slow down Jamison, but our offense also died as a result. Newble has no offensive ability! It would be nice to see Gibson get some meaningful minutes especially against the short-handed Wizards. It only gets harder from here.
bikerman

Crestview, FL

#3 Apr 23, 2007
I just hope that Hughes doesn't start thinking that he is a shooter. He made a lucky shot at the buzzer, but missed 3 other 3's. He did more penetrating, and that was a key. We just can't have him shooting outside shots, or he will kill us in the next games.
ESE

Cleveland, OH

#4 Apr 23, 2007
The Wizards have 50 PPG sitting on the bench with injuries. The Cavs should run them right into the lake. They did not. Jordan outcoached Mike Brown badly to stay in the game as long as they did. The soft mentality of this team showed as 5 times by my count Cavs defenders moved out of the way to allow a Wizards layup. This is the playoffs. Anybody driving must be fouled and fouled hard to make sure the shot doesn't go in. Throw them to the floor if necessary. THAT is the "message" thing.
Josh

New Philadelphia, OH

#5 Apr 23, 2007
ESPN, TNT, ABC, NBC...doesnt matter. TV's talking heads piss on Cleveland all the time. It's bias, and it's the belief that New York, LA, or any other big market is better than Ohio. One more reason why it would be SWEET, and I mean beautiful, to win a title in this city. We dont need to send a message to ANYONE, that's a crock of BS. Win the next game, win the series, and advance. That is ALL that matters. Anyone who says different is probably a horse-toothed [email protected] who thinks the idiots on TNT are never wrong.

Sorry, Charles, Kenny, and co., but ya'll picked Georgetown and how'd that turn out? They're wrong more often than they're right.
Brittle Fingers

Northbrook, IL

#6 Apr 23, 2007
Yeah, the game analyst (I think it was John Thompson....?) was horrible. Not only did he keep ripping on the Cavs, but he kept belaboring the same 'point' over and over, beating a dead horse. He never came up with anything new.....it was always just, "their playing into Eddie Jordan's hands" or "LeBron needs to be connected to his team."

Thompson may be a good coach, but he sucks as an analyst. I have no problem hearing criticism about our team, as long as it's well-founded and articulated.

That being said, it was a good win. There didn't seem to be much energy in the arena, but who cares.....we got the 'W'. I think the Cavs and many of the fans kinda just expected to walk over the Wizards. I think you'll see more intensity in the coming games and especially in the next series.
Tim in Plantation FL

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Apr 23, 2007
I think we were ripped more by the TV analysts for WINNING at home by 15 than the Mavericks were for LOSING at home to the .500 #8 seed GS Warriors. What kind of "message" did the Mavericks send?
WhereAreTheLebro nHaters

Hilliard, OH

#8 Apr 23, 2007
Barkley never won a championship and was never really considered a good teammate. Kenny Smith was a role player. I'm not doubting their basketball knowledge, but the hate for the Cavs is undeniable. Teams just don't do it overnight, it is a learning process. But there shouldn't be any hate for that game. HATE! HATE! HATE!
Da Truth

Redwood City, CA

#9 Apr 23, 2007
Rest LeBron for Wizard series. Cav's may be in trouble now, with LeBron having a sprained ankle. Most likely, the ankle will get worse before it gets better. The Cav's will need to win without LeBron for a couple of games. If he plays, it will be a nagging injury and while they may beat the Wizards, they will not get further. Without a healthy LeBron, this team cannot win. There management is seeing this and don't be surprised if LeBron is moved in the off season for a "Greg Oden" package.
Replay Anyone

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Apr 23, 2007
Anyone notice how TNT showed hardly any replays after fouls were called??? I had to watch FSN (Why it wasn't in HD as well, nobody knows), so I could see some replays.
Mccloud stinks as much as the TNT announcers do...bring back Reghi..PLEASE!!!
Brittle Fingers

Northbrook, IL

#11 Apr 23, 2007
I know, it's frustrating how FSN hasn't had a game in High-Def for what seems like weeks. I hate turning to that channel and seeing that stupid stone graphic with the waterfall sound. FSN, wake up!!! Get your games back on HD.....turds.

I thought getting rid of Reghi was a horrible move.....nothing against McLeod, but Reghi did an outstanding job and really seemed to care about the team's success -- without acting as a total homer at the same time. He called it like he saw it and wasn't afraid to criticize the team when it was warranted. I'm just glad he's still in town doing the Browns show on FSN.
bob lewis

Lenexa, KS

#12 Apr 23, 2007
The commentators on TNT kept voicing disappointment at the Cavs for not blowing the Wizards out - but I agree with Mike Brown - it was a workmanlike performance, and there's no need to get hyper about this series.

The #2 seed gave the Cavs a real shot at making the finals, and there's no sense wasting energy now. Save it for when we need it.
8ball

Hialeah, FL

#13 Apr 23, 2007
Tim in Plantation FL wrote:
I think we were ripped more by the TV analysts for WINNING at home by 15 than the Mavericks were for LOSING at home to the .500 #8 seed GS Warriors. What kind of "message" did the Mavericks send?
They are tired from 67 wins.
ATB

United States

#14 Apr 23, 2007
Great win, but three quick thoughts on Mike Brown's coaching effort:
1. Did anyone else find it surprising that Brown appeared to have no defensive gameplan for stopping what has become a one-man offensive team (Jamison)?
2. This series is a golden opportunity to get young kids like Boobie Gibson some playoff experience (i.e., experience playing the same team several time in a series under somewhat higher than regular-season pressure). Let's hope Brown doesn't squander it by giving Eric Snow 20+ minutes every game while Gibson got 1.
3. Did LeBron and Larry "Mr. Glass" Hughes really need to play 45+ minutes each to beat the Wizards? Wouldn't this be a good time to get them a little more rest?
That said, a win is a win, so none of that REALLY matters. Plus, it suddenly looks like the Western Conference champion may not be a shoo-in to win the NBA Finals after all, and 11 more wins gets the Cavs there.
Go CAVS!
8ball

Hialeah, FL

#15 Apr 23, 2007
Josh wrote:
ESPN, TNT, ABC, NBC...doesnt matter. TV's talking heads piss on Cleveland all the time. It's bias, and it's the belief that New York, LA, or any other big market is better than Ohio. One more reason why it would be SWEET, and I mean beautiful, to win a title in this city. We dont need to send a message to ANYONE, that's a crock of BS. Win the next game, win the series, and advance. That is ALL that matters. Anyone who says different is probably a horse-toothed [email protected] who thinks the idiots on TNT are never wrong.
Sorry, Charles, Kenny, and co., but ya'll picked Georgetown and how'd that turn out? They're wrong more often than they're right.
I agree on that one. TNT, ESPN, ABC you name it they are all biased assed networks. But most of all epsn. TNT does have alot of know nothing clowns like Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Stephan A. Smith who just basically yells the whole time. But you have to realize these clowns get payed big bucks to BS. What a job. Charles Barkley has to be the worst though this guy's odds are very slim dont ever fly on a plane with this guy.
Josh

New Philadelphia, OH

#16 Apr 24, 2007
They need to bring back Mike Reghi RIGHT NOW. Mcleod is a waste of oxygen. He can go back to Detroit and call WNBA games for all I care. Cleveland has some of the absolute best play by play guys in the business with Tom Hamilton, Joe Tait, and even Doug Deiken does a solid job. I put Michael in the same category, and actually rate him 2nd behind Hammy (no one does it better).

I hope gilbert doesnt screw this franchise up (irritating Lebron by making Finals predictions), like he screwed up the broadcast booth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio Daniels Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Timberwolves trade for Antonio Daniels (Sep '09) Sep '09 Tiffany 15
News Nick Young: Last Man Standing (Apr '09) Apr '09 frank jones 1
News Wizards Limp Into Break With a Loss (Feb '09) Feb '09 Wizards out of magic 1
News Wizards Are Frustrated by Lack of Progress (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 2
News Thunder Is Wizards' Chance to Strike (Dec '08) Dec '08 sweetits 1
News Under Tapscott, Defense Still A Struggle for th... (Dec '08) Dec '08 LOOSECLIPS 1
News Dixon Breaks Into A Tighter Rotation (Dec '08) Dec '08 SWAMI 4
More from around the web