Los Angeles Lakers

Los Angeles Lakers

There are 44 comments on the NBA.com story from Jun 28, 2012, titled Los Angeles Lakers. In it, NBA.com reports that:

Areas of Strength: Kobe and big-men bookends. While it has been proven for two years in a row that Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol do not form the powerful duo many opponents have long claimed provide a huge advantage, the Lakers do have uncommonly talented running mates at center and power forward.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBA.com.

“Timshel”

Since: Jan 12

Tulsa, OK

#21 Jul 1, 2012
Sam wrote:
<quoted text> Naw its time to patch the torch to other teams. The sonics had a chance but they won already so OkC being new team to potentialy win doesn't count. Feeling my drift so far? The nba is a corrupted league suited for big market cities. Only Dallas and Miami have been the odd teams out of the equation dating back to the 80's to win at least 2 championships.Let's review shall we, 80's Boston,Lakers,1 by Philli, 90's. 2 Pistons, Bulls, Houston, millenium, Lakers,Spurs,Miami Dallas. So 9 teams in the past thirty plus years have won and some multiples. Come on its time for a new regime. Yea maybe Kobe should have had a ring but its time for a change. Otherwise make it a 10 team league. I mean after all that's what we witnessed in 30 yrs
I wouldn't go as far as saying the NBA is corrupt but yes I agree the outcomes definitely favor major market teams in part due to the ridiculously massive revenue they generate and the fact that they can lure superstars to their teams and endure their high wage demands and they can pay luxury taxes as a result of that and the small market teams simply can't therefore they remain starter teams.
Ginobili

San Francisco, CA

#22 Jul 1, 2012
Stern has made all the teams equal as far as talent by salary cap, profit sharing, rules in the draft and he and owners have to approve deals and trades and expansion or movement of teams. The officiating still in rare occassions lead us to believe that there are games that had beend fixed.
Gambling plays a big part in the game, several refs in the past had been punisihed or had been suspected of fixing games, is it still happening, I saw a number of games that even the TV commentators were pondering what the heck were the refs seeing or doing.

“Justice always prevails”

vacaville

#23 Jul 1, 2012
Ginobili wrote:
Stern has made all the teams equal as far as talent by salary cap, profit sharing, rules in the draft and he and owners have to approve deals and trades and expansion or movement of teams. The officiating still in rare occassions lead us to believe that there are games that had beend fixed.
Gambling plays a big part in the game, several refs in the past had been punisihed or had been suspected of fixing games, is it still happening, I saw a number of games that even the TV commentators were pondering what the heck were the refs seeing or doing.
Former ref tim dohnahue(sp?) is still sitting in prison. I agree with you on this. I just think refs tend to give better calls to superstar players. All though David Sterns stopping of the CP3 trade to LA was unpopular, he showed his will to "beef up" the smaller market teams.
sam

Toronto, Canada

#24 Jul 2, 2012
The_Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
Former ref tim dohnahue(sp?) is still sitting in prison. I agree with you on this. I just think refs tend to give better calls to superstar players. All though David Sterns stopping of the CP3 trade to LA was unpopular, he showed his will to "beef up" the smaller market teams.
Exactly..Donahue was part of crruption. CP3 deal being stopped was corrupted, first round pick to NOH Iam sure was a corrupt move too.
sam

Toronto, Canada

#25 Jul 2, 2012
_Jusayin_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't go as far as saying the NBA is corrupt but yes I agree the outcomes definitely favor major market teams in part due to the ridiculously massive revenue they generate and the fact that they can lure superstars to their teams and endure their high wage demands and they can pay luxury taxes as a result of that and the small market teams simply can't therefore they remain starter teams.
David Stern has Rigged hundreds of games in his 24 years in office. Most crooked series I've watched since becoming a NBA fan in 1989:

2002 Western Conference Finals (Lakers v. Kings)-- Game 5 favored the Kings, Game 6 heavily favored the Lakers. Stern rigged the officiating to extend this highly-anticipated series to 7 games. 7 games = more $$$. The Kings were the superior team but the Lakers went on to the Finals. Stern knew a Laker 3-peat would be a goldmine for the league.

2004 NBA Finals (Lakers v. Pistons)-- the officiating in the entire series heavily favored the Pistons, giving them a disproportionate number of FTs. Stern wanted to destroy the Lakers due to Kobe's rape allegations, which negatively affected the league's image.

2006 NBA Finals (Miami v. Mavericks)-- Wade received blatant preferential treatment from the refs and shattered the record for most FT attempted in a finals series. Apparently, Stern wanted to promote Wade as the new face of the NBA.

2008 NBA Finals (Lakers v. Celtics)-- series is not over yet but game 2 was the worst-officiated game I've seen since game 6 of the 2002 WCF. Here's the kicker: Leon Powe had a monster game just when ABC dedicated a halftime segment to him. Coincidence? I think not.

Yes, the NBA is corrupt. And I believe it began after the Jordan era when Stern was struggling to fill in the void left by MJ. Ask yourself why MJ left the league for a couple years.
Ginobili

San Francisco, CA

#26 Jul 4, 2012
Some interesting and valid points. He also rigged a lot of games for the Bulls in their glory years, they got a lot of "special calls". One that stucked on my mind was the three pointer by Jeff Hornacek that beat the shot clock by more than a second and the refs waved it off and the Jazz lost that game.
sam

Toronto, Canada

#27 Jul 4, 2012
Ginobili wrote:
Some interesting and valid points. He also rigged a lot of games for the Bulls in their glory years, they got a lot of "special calls". One that stucked on my mind was the three pointer by Jeff Hornacek that beat the shot clock by more than a second and the refs waved it off and the Jazz lost that game.
pay to be the king of the game. Too bad for horny
Ginobili

San Francisco, CA

#28 Jul 4, 2012
But payback is coming around, you saw how Stern was booed at the draft presentation, he rigged the games too much and the people are too smart for that, they want to see real BB not Hollywood BB.

“Timshel”

Tulsa, OK

#29 Jul 5, 2012
Ginobili wrote:
But payback is coming around, you saw how Stern was booed at the draft presentation, he rigged the games too much and the people are too smart for that, they want to see real BB not Hollywood BB.
I'm not closed minded and I do believe in conspiracy against the people but to say that because Stern and other owners shot down the Lakers from getting CP3 and a few other happenings in the past that Stern and the NBA are corrupt is a bit strong.

I'd say like with any business or relationship there may be some favoritism at play but total corruption is too much.

The thing is, the words "corruption" and "rigged" are being thrown around and yet you guys still watch? Why?

vacaville

#30 Jul 5, 2012
_Jusayin_ wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not closed minded and I do believe in conspiracy against the people but to say that because Stern and other owners shot down the Lakers from getting CP3 and a few other happenings in the past that Stern and the NBA are corrupt is a bit strong.

I'd say like with any business or relationship there may be some favoritism at play but total corruption is too much.

The thing is, the words "corruption" and "rigged" are being thrown around and yet you guys still watch? Why?
I agree with 100% on this
sam

Waterloo, Canada

#31 Jul 5, 2012
_Jusayin_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not closed minded and I do believe in conspiracy against the people but to say that because Stern and other owners shot down the Lakers from getting CP3 and a few other happenings in the past that Stern and the NBA are corrupt is a bit strong.
Its simple dude. In Ginobilli's casae being an ex nbaer and collecting pension its in his best interest. As for me I overlook the schemes and truly enjoying killa crossovas,360's, stepbacks, screens etc. Ya digg?

“Timshel”

Tulsa, OK

#32 Jul 5, 2012
sam wrote:
<quoted text> Its simple dude. In Ginobilli's casae being an ex nbaer and collecting pension its in his best interest.
LMAO

Wouldn't you think a REAL former NBA player who made hundreds of thousands from the NBA and who is drawing an NBA pension currently would keep his mouth shut no matter what?
sam

Toronto, Canada

#33 Jul 5, 2012
_Jusayin_ wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO
Wouldn't you think a REAL former NBA player who made hundreds of thousands from the NBA and who is drawing an NBA pension currently would keep his mouth shut no matter what?
You would think yea. Perhaps his ego got the best of him.

vacaville

#34 Jul 5, 2012
What do you guys think about LA adding the Steve Nash? I think it makes their offense a whole bunch better, but it also weakens the defense.
sam

Toronto, Canada

#35 Jul 5, 2012
The_Solution wrote:
What do you guys think about LA adding the Steve Nash? I think it makes their offense a whole bunch better, but it also weakens the defense.
Hey Solution, I live 25 minutes from Toronto, we are disappointed but we all realize his reasoning ,I don't blame him at his age.However we are making other deals which may be better. Lets see. Iam not overly excited that he is a Laker but you are right. Offensively he can move the ball but perhaps offensively some else can pick up the slack. I still think Sessions should have had a chance to learn and given an opportunity.
sam

Toronto, Canada

#36 Jul 5, 2012
sorry defensively
sam

Toronto, Canada

#37 Jul 5, 2012
I would also like to point out that Nash is also injury prone and at his age this could hurt(no pun)
Ginobili

San Francisco, CA

#38 Jul 5, 2012
This is the NBA, it is about team not ego. I think Nash is a team player and will fit well with the Lakers. Some of the ball handling duties will be taken up by Kobe so Nash would not be as burnt out.
Also this would give him more energy to play some "D". He is a good around player, he rebounds above average for a pg, shoots for a high average and wonderful with fts. He is going to make L.A. a contender. Also with him Kobe will not have to play pg and sg every game like he is doing now. Great move by Mitch Kupchak. I am happy for the Lakers, they have a real leader now.

“Timshel”

Tulsa, OK

#39 Jul 5, 2012
The_Solution wrote:
Offensively you really can't do that much better than Nash. He brings it all to the table and makes everyone on the floor better. He is a master PG in all facets.

Defensively he's always been a liability although tenacious but he's so intelligent and can read the game so well he makes up for the lack of physical presence. The Lakers will scheme for him defensively to make up for what he's always lacked and his age and what that brings.

I love the Lakers. Yes, I'd rather the Lakers get a younger star PG(Sessions is no star and isn't big enough for LA, sorry)but Nash if he remains healthy will tear it up with all the weapons at his disposal. He's never had this many viable options before so I see this as a great positive thing for LA. His age is my only hang up.

“Timshel”

Tulsa, OK

#40 Jul 5, 2012
Ginobili wrote:
This is the NBA, it is about team not ego. I think Nash is a team player and will fit well with the Lakers. Some of the ball handling duties will be taken up by Kobe so Nash would not be as burnt out.
Also with him Kobe will not have to play pg and sg every game like he is doing now. Great move by Mitch Kupchak. I am happy for the Lakers, they have a real leader now.
Having an ego is being human. No matter what you do, you'll always have an ego for better or worse. Teams that win and win consistently have "put their ego's aside" for a common goal and the most important thing that Nash brings is not his stats etc. etc. it's the weight that gets lifted off Kobe because Nash can and will shoulder it too. Kobe trusts Nash's game and he knows Nash is on his level mentally in the sport of bball.

Kobe has never had an elite PG at LA and this can open up some wonderful things for us Laker fans to see. I just hope everyone can stay healthy because LA is about to give us our money's worth this year.

BTW Gino, Kobe played PG too because he knew Sessions was incapable of handling the pressure that comes with being a Laker. Kobe played with him everyday for several weeks and Sessions showed Kobe nothing. That's why Sessions got the hell outta town like he did. Nothing against him, it takes something special to succeed on a team like LA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andrew Bynum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cavaliers suspend C Andrew Bynum indefinitely (Dec '13) Dec '13 xKINGxDYCEx 1
News NBA Draft: What Philadelphia 76ers Fans Are Hop... (Jun '13) Jun '13 King Dyce 1
News Doug Collins decides on future with 76ers (Apr '13) Apr '13 Shiftie 2
News Breaking Down How Andrew Bynum Will Transform P... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Sam 3
News Bob Ford: Andrew Bynum closing in on debut with... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Dallas 1
News Andrew Bynum has 'setback' with injured knee (Nov '12) Dec '12 Ginobili 5
News Sixers' Bynum admits he injured knee while bowling (Nov '12) Nov '12 Sam 20
More from around the web