Cavs storm to victory

Cavs storm to victory

There are 17 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jan 27, 2008, titled Cavs storm to victory. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

LOS ANGELES: The Cavaliers have become experts this season in weathering storms.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Dave Robisch

United States

#1 Jan 28, 2008
Best win of the year by the Cavaliers and they are showing some real signs of getting back to the kind of defensive commitment that took them to the championship year. The injury to Avarejo is a huge concern especially considering the offensive, rebounding, and defensive void known as Drew Gooden (why have we not alread traded him and given AV the starting job?). Hopefully the ankle is not as bad as it looked. The bottom line is that if the Cavaliers keep it close going into the 4th with Lebron they'll win many more than they lose. I don't fear anyone in the east including the "new" celtics with perennial chokers named Allen, Garnett and Pierce (not ever to be confused with Bird, McHale, and Parish because they actually knew how to win a championship) and the Pistons who are still old. We will repeat in the East if Lebron stays healthy!
OldManGrump

Akron, OH

#2 Jan 28, 2008
Another nice win, but losing AV & his defense to the ankle sprain could stop all the progress the Cavs have made in the past month.

Still need that point guard for a run deep into the playoffs.

GO CAVS !!!
cave man

United States

#3 Jan 28, 2008
wow larry hughes made some big shots. still he must be traded/newble stepping up. good start.
Imagine

Medina, OH

#4 Jan 28, 2008
Imagine if the Cavs had a good point guard. Just imagine....
Mike

Needham, MA

#5 Jan 28, 2008
Yeah who was that in Hughes' uniform yesterday?
John

Brookline, MA

#6 Jan 28, 2008
Cavs 12-3 in their last 15. I(f not for Suns record breaking three point performance, they would be 13-2). They are getting their swagger back, beating good teams on the road, playing great D like last year and Lebron is playing at a higher level than last year, MVP. If Hughes could ever play most games like he did yesterday, this team will be tough to beat at full strength. Ira Newble played well yesterday and made some key plays down the stretch. Somehow they have to keep it going until AV comes back. Marshall, Simmons, Dwayen Jones, one of those guys is going to have to step it up, along with Drew.
tmurda2240

Strongsville, OH

#7 Jan 28, 2008
kudos to Lebron of course, this ship goes nowhere without him.

kudos to Larry hughes, he hit shots, shots that were important, as well as his defense.

I was really pissed off when they didn't call the foul on kobe at the top of the key, when he clearly hand his hands all over lebron, taking away any leverage, knowing that lebron would blow right by him. But then i realized that maybe with these two superstars, the refs will let them play a bit. And then the 4th quarter came. Lebron layed the d on kobe. Kobe didn't know what to do. Lebron is at a level higher than anyone in the league imo.

This "best player in the world" garbage that keeps coming out of mark jackson and screamin A. smith's mouths' is total rubbish and a cop out. Just Catering to the bigger market is all. Lebron will make this a big market though, so its cool.
Scott from Atlanta

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jan 28, 2008
OldManGrump wrote:
Another nice win, but losing AV & his defense to the ankle sprain could stop all the progress the Cavs have made in the past month.
Still need that point guard for a run deep into the playoffs.
GO CAVS !!!
For once I have to agree with you. I hope this forces Ferry to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Without cap room though that seems unlikely.
dubyes

United States

#9 Jan 28, 2008
the Cavs dont need anything except for people to realize that they're a great team the as they are now,and there is no need for any stinking trades.
oh,and is'nt it sickening to hear the same idiots like Mark Jackson saying the Cavs can't beat Detroit and Boston,just like they told us last year that they couldn't beat Washington or New Jersey or Detroit.Where do they get these people?
the truth is out there

Akron, OH

#10 Jan 28, 2008
And when is LeBron going to finally get some respect from the referees?

Home or away they foul him, and no calls, or very few.

Breathe on Kobe and there's a call. I think the NBA officials are STILL on the take.
Cavalier Traveler

Akron, OH

#11 Jan 28, 2008
News from New Jersey is that there is a Kidd that is demanding a trade to a contender. Hmmmmm....
John

Brookline, MA

#12 Jan 28, 2008
Cavalier Traveler wrote:
News from New Jersey is that there is a Kidd that is demanding a trade to a contender. Hmmmmm....
Kidd was #1 one Lebron's fav five yesterday (Kidd, C. Anthony, D. Wade, Kobe, Chris Paul).

To make salaries work, Nets would have to take Hughes, and about another 5 mil in contracts (Newble or Damon Jones maybe).

Kidd and Lebron would be fun to watch together!

But, I also love how the current team is playing right now, unfortunately it will be hard for them to keep playing at the same level with AV out with the ankle injury.
Dennis

United States

#13 Jan 28, 2008
Hey Brian,

It is a shame that you use your columns to advance the agenda's that you have (I will let you be the judge of this). On ESPN's column about how LeBron got the better of Kobe, you write

"On the final play, James defended Bryant and forced him to pass instead of taking the last shot."

Then in this column you write (Which is probably an AP pull)

"James and Hughes doubled Bryant after the pick and he was forced to give it to Walton, who froze...."

Which is which? It sucks to have columnsists who hedge stories depending on what agenda they want to advance...
Jim Boogie

Southfield, MI

#14 Jan 28, 2008
LEBRON JAMES IS THE TRUTH TO BASKETBALL.
bayoubuckeye

Natchitoches, LA

#15 Jan 28, 2008
On a related note, I picked up the Lakers' broadcast on satellite and their announcers, at least in the third quarter, were down on the Cavs more than they were even promoting their team. At the end of the quarter, one of them said something about the Cavs being "unpoised" and not looking like a team that played for the NBA title last year. I said to myself, "They sure looked poised when they built a halftime lead and this game is not over yet so stop making statements like that." I did not get to listen to the 4th quarter - maybe they took it all back after the game.
dubyes wrote:
the Cavs dont need anything except for people to realize that they're a great team the as they are now,and there is no need for any stinking trades.
oh,and is'nt it sickening to hear the same idiots like Mark Jackson saying the Cavs can't beat Detroit and Boston,just like they told us last year that they couldn't beat Washington or New Jersey or Detroit.Where do they get these people?
calgoseal

United States

#16 Jan 28, 2008
a three point "route"? yea, right
Gary Harper

Sandusky, OH

#17 Jan 28, 2008
The Knicks and Cavs have been talking trade about Larry Hughes. PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN...

http://www.probasketballnews.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Varejao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LeBron James returns to Cavs: 'I'm coming home' (Jul '14) Jul '14 sam 3
News LeBron James says he's returning to Cavaliers (Jul '14) Jul '14 shenmengxing 2
News Cavaliers believe they can make playoffsCavalie... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Freda Johnson 2
News NBA Rumors: Latest Buzz on Pau Gasol, Anderson ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 waterfuckbelly 5
News MRI reveals knee contusion for Varejao (Jan '14) Feb '14 H y p e r S o n i c 2
News Mike Brown expected rough times for Cavaliers a... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Freda Johnson 1
News Undefeated Minnesota Timberwolves present a cha... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Freda Johnson 1
More from around the web