Ohio.com - Pavlovic probably won't be at camp

CLEVELAND: Sasha Pavlovic's future with the Cavaliers is in serious doubt. Don't call it a holdout, but when the Cavs open training camp Monday, the signs point to Pavlovic not being there. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tim in Plantation Florida

AOL

#1 Sep 28, 2007
Is Kobe still interested in being traded? I'd trade Hughes, Gooden and Gibson for him. The money would work out and we'd be the front-runner in the East and a contender again for the title.
The Crowning

Central District, Hong Kong

#2 Sep 29, 2007
Looks like we are going to lose both guys. Never thought this off-season would come to this. Just my personal opinion, Ferry has seriously failed. I am not talking about whether he should/shouldn't yield to AV/Sasha's demands, but the fact of the matter is, he misjudged the situation. He was too confident that AV/sasha would have to eventually give in. All timings are off, and he is now busy to find a trade after he knows that he screwed up, which is obviously too late. If training camp opens and we lose both, then this team has been set back 2 years. All this "continuity" of Ferry's means absolutely nothing, when you can't resign your own players. What's worse is that it doesn't look like he has a backup plan.

I personally dont know 5% of what an Nba GM needs to know/do in order for him to succeed in his job, but this is a result oriented business, the situation this team is in now showcase nothing but a failure. I don't think anyone could say this is still under Ferry's control. The situation got out of hand, and Ferry got no backup plan. Devin Brown isn't a backup plan, David Wesley + 2.1 exemption can not replace your 6th man + starting shooting guard. Failing to resign your own rfa is one thing, starting training camp with a much worse and incomplete roster is another.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#3 Sep 29, 2007
Ferry has come back to haunt the organization for a second time. The Marshall, Hughes, Jones et al signings have largely failed. In his defense, Ferry was under a lot of pressure to win fast. But now tha Cavs are stuck with little room to fix things until contracts expire.

How he handles AV and Sahsa will provide a clear indication of his worth as a GM. Still no point guard.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#4 Sep 29, 2007
Tim in Plantation Florida wrote:
Is Kobe still interested in being traded? I'd trade Hughes, Gooden and Gibson for him. The money would work out and we'd be the front-runner in the East and a contender again for the title.
Are you crazy? LA would NEVER make that trade.
Deez

Coraopolis, PA

#5 Sep 29, 2007
Seriously, relax...sure, both of these guys are "fan favorites", but they're also just ham-and-eggers. Average at best and easily replaced. NBA teams win championships by keeping a core of solid players and filling roster holes as needed. These guys are those holes, not core players.

David Wesley = Sasha Pavlovic. What they need to find via trade is a certified point guard. Eric Snow is the worst player in the NBA, period. "Boobie" Gibson can't handle the rock under pressure. So it comes back to Lebron running the 1 in clutch situations, playing one-on-five hoops.

Get a point guard, the titles will come. Believe that.
Salinian

AOL

#6 Sep 29, 2007
Sasha and his representative must have missed the post-season portions that revealed the player to be a pretender---one who did not finish with regularity nor hit open jumpers someone in his supposed price range should make comfortably. Then again, some of the current in-house contracts contradict that claim, don't they?
TheOUTLAW

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Sep 29, 2007
Sasha is vastly overrating what he accomplished last year. Yeah, I like him, but frankly he's not really worth any more than his qualifying offer right now.
RFN

Lakewood, OH

#8 Sep 29, 2007
Deez nailed it 100%. These are role players. They can and WILL be replaced.
mdb

Beverly Hills, CA

#9 Sep 29, 2007
will miss andy v's energy/rebounds during the regular season. probably not a top notch player in the playoffs however.
Maxwell of WMMS

Hudson, OH

#10 Sep 29, 2007
Trade LeBron so we don't have to hear about him anymore. He's a hack!
Jack Hill

Lady Lake, FL

#11 Sep 29, 2007
Fire Ferry and Crenel.
mark worrell

Boise, ID

#12 Sep 29, 2007
Marc Cornstein, Pavlovic's agent, said Friday that Pavlovic is planning on letting the offer expire Monday. Pavlovic is in Europe with no plans to travel to Cleveland this weekend.

''This is not the position we were looking to be in,'' Cornstein said.''But we have a very different opinion of Sasha's value.''

really, mr. cornstein?--well, let a fan explain that your client, while valuable last year off the bench, is an overpaid dime-a-dozen player
at his old pay, let alone making nonsensical demands as if this guy had really done something that was integral to the team repeating

tell him to play in europe---let's see what he gets there

hey, sasha, you dumb plug---baby: bye!bye!bye!
mark worrell

Boise, ID

#13 Sep 29, 2007
The Crowning wrote:
Looks like we are going to lose both guys. Never thought this off-season would come to this. Just my personal opinion, Ferry has seriously failed. I am not talking about whether he should/shouldn't yield to AV/Sasha's demands, but the fact of the matter is, he misjudged the situation. He was too confident that AV/sasha would have to eventually give in. All timings are off, and he is now busy to find a trade after he knows that he screwed up, which is obviously too late. If training camp opens and we lose both, then this team has been set back 2 years. All this "continuity" of Ferry's means absolutely nothing, when you can't resign your own players. What's worse is that it doesn't look like he has a backup plan.
I personally dont know 5% of what an Nba GM needs to know/do in order for him to succeed in his job, but this is a result oriented business, the situation this team is in now showcase nothing but a failure. I don't think anyone could say this is still under Ferry's control. The situation got out of hand, and Ferry got no backup plan. Devin Brown isn't a backup plan, David Wesley + 2.1 exemption can not replace your 6th man + starting shooting guard. Failing to resign your own rfa is one thing, starting training camp with a much worse and incomplete roster is another.
wow, is the NBA season over already? well then, i guess ferry did whiff it...

of course, if it hasn't even begun, then you would be a trembling, foolish crybaby making arguments about something that hasn't even happened yet---wait until the end to rate the team, pal, that's how GMs and fans do it

no one will miss the two guys who play energetically---dime-a-dozen -- but score rarely when the crunch is on...varejao blew the game in the finals waiting for lebron and then he looked like an out of control helicopter trying to just hit the rim...liked 'em, don't need to overpay for 'em
Chuck

South San Francisco, CA

#14 Sep 29, 2007
If this is truly a "results oriented" business, then give it a rest on Ferry. In two years as GM the team got to its first NBA Finals. That's results.

I want Andy and Sahsa back, but neither are worth more than about 5 or 6 million per year in any market. The fact is their agents blew it by not getting offer sheets - it is the only way that restricted free agents have any leverage at all. The Cavs said they would match any offer, but other restricted free agents have gotten offers despite such proclamations, even in the last couple weeks, so it's not impossible if there are teams really interested. And if there aren't then why should we pay more? This stems from the Gilbert Arenas rule in the new CBA, right?- specifically so that teams can hold onto their young players longer, without getting held hostage for more than another team is willing to pay. The agents are frustrated by the rules and trying to get around it, but now they have likely cost their clients millions. If these guys are going to hold out, so be it, but I don't think they will for long, they gain nothing by it.

Sasha and Varejao aren't only players whose agents are playing this game, either. There are at least ten players in such circumstances around the league, most notably Golden State's Michel Pietrus, probably a better player than either Sasha or Andy.
Tonto Epstein

New Albany, OH

#15 Sep 29, 2007
Tim in Plantation Florida wrote:
Yes, and then perhaps they'll dig up Wilt Chamberlain, extract his DNA and clone his tissue. After LeBron and Wilt destroy the Western Conference, they'll put Wilt in a big theme park. I saw the movie, which is based on a true story, so I know this is very possible. See ya, Z.
Tonto Epstein

New Albany, OH

#16 Sep 29, 2007
Chuck wrote:
If this is truly a "results oriented" business, then give it a rest on Ferry. In two years as GM the team got to its first NBA Finals. That's results.
I want Andy and Sahsa back, but neither are worth more than about 5 or 6 million per year in any market. The fact is their agents blew it by not getting offer sheets - it is the only way that restricted free agents have any leverage at all. The Cavs said they would match any offer, but other restricted free agents have gotten offers despite such proclamations, even in the last couple weeks, so it's not impossible if there are teams really interested. And if there aren't then why should we pay more? This stems from the Gilbert Arenas rule in the new CBA, right?- specifically so that teams can hold onto their young players longer, without getting held hostage for more than another team is willing to pay. The agents are frustrated by the rules and trying to get around it, but now they have likely cost their clients millions. If these guys are going to hold out, so be it, but I don't think they will for long, they gain nothing by it.
Sasha and Varejao aren't only players whose agents are playing this game, either. There are at least ten players in such circumstances around the league, most notably Golden State's Michel Pietrus, probably a better player than either Sasha or Andy.
Huh? Ferry had as much to do with it as that sweater in your closet that you've never worn. If you want to credit somebody, then credit Gordon Gund for ordering Jim Paxson to dump salary. That caused the team to eventually suck like a giant Hoover. That caused them to end up in the lottery. That caused them to luck into a ping pong ball. That caused them to draft LeBron James. That caused James to get exponentially better from age 19 to age 22. That caused him to be a one-man wrecking crew. That's so freakin' obvious to anybody with two eyeballs and a brain, that you'd have to be a complete moron to say anything else.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Estrada

Warren, OH

#17 Sep 30, 2007
Sasha couldn't make the Serbiam National team in 04, but he is getting better.
I can't believe the Cavs made no moves this off season, and I don't consider this Brown guy a move. David Wesley and an exception? That will get us Shawn Marion!
browns fan

Cedar Park, TX

#18 Sep 30, 2007
Kepp bettering the team; don't overpay for anyone.
Warren Buffett-NEO Sports

Lorain, OH

#19 Sep 30, 2007
Corn-hole-stein is going to have Sasha starving.
Overvaluing = business no-no
Chuck

South San Francisco, CA

#20 Sep 30, 2007
Tonto Epstein wrote:
<quoted text> Huh? Ferry had as much to do with it as that sweater in your closet that you've never worn. If you want to credit somebody, then credit Gordon Gund for ordering Jim Paxson to dump salary. That caused the team to eventually suck like a giant Hoover. That caused them to end up in the lottery. That caused them to luck into a ping pong ball. That caused them to draft LeBron James. That caused James to get exponentially better from age 19 to age 22. That caused him to be a one-man wrecking crew. That's so freakin' obvious to anybody with two eyeballs and a brain, that you'd have to be a complete moron to say anything else.
But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
The point is, if you are looking for results, you can't call Ferry a failure, as someone else posted above. The fact is the team has gone from not being in the playoffs to making the finals in two years. The fact is that has happened since Ferry took over as GM. You can argue Ferry isn't responsible, you can argue that his free agents signings have all been busts, you can argue he has had a poor off season, you can argue that the Cavs can't repeat last year's success because Ferry has blown it this summer - and you may be right, but that's not what I'm arguing, pick a different straw man, please. All I said is that when you look at the facts at what the Cavs have accomplished with Ferry as GM, in terms of wins, losses, and advancement, the results are nothing short of outstanding. And you'd have to be a complete moron to say anything else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Varejao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LeBron James returns to Cavs: 'I'm coming home' (Jul '14) Jul '14 sam 3
News LeBron James says he's returning to Cavaliers (Jul '14) Jul '14 shenmengxing 2
News Cavaliers believe they can make playoffsCavalie... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Freda Johnson 2
News NBA Rumors: Latest Buzz on Pau Gasol, Anderson ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 waterfuckbelly 5
News MRI reveals knee contusion for Varejao (Jan '14) Feb '14 H y p e r S o n i c 2
News Mike Brown expected rough times for Cavaliers a... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Freda Johnson 1
News Undefeated Minnesota Timberwolves present a cha... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Freda Johnson 1
More from around the web