Fourth quarter fickle for Cavs

Fourth quarter fickle for Cavs

There are 16 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Mar 12, 2008, titled Fourth quarter fickle for Cavs. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.: Since their big trade, the New Jersey Nets had been one of the worst teams in the NBA.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

RPB

Mckees Rocks, PA

#1 Mar 13, 2008
That was frustrating loss. They took the 1st quarter off both offensively and defensively. The fact that they had to fight to get back into the game means that tonight they probably wil have little energy against the Wizards. We may see the same effort.
The Cavs really need to get Z and Wallace healthy. Not having those two is killing them inside!
On the positive side, like I've said many times... they are still gonna finish in the 4th spot. Toronto is fading, so losses like last night aren't going to kill the Cavs in the standings. They have to start getting it together soon however, the season is running out.
Hopefully they come out fighting tonight! Go Cavs!
JNP

Erie, PA

#2 Mar 13, 2008
WOW! I had a hard time watching that game last night. There was a lack of concentration on almost every CAVS player out there at some point or another during the game. One of the frustrating things that I found throughout this year is that when someone other than Lebron has a hot hand (ie, Damon Jones last night in the 4th), they stop feeding him the ball. I realize Lebron is one of the greatest players of all time, but he took some bad shots last night in the 4th quarter when they were just creeping back into it. He could have drove and dished instead of forcing a few of those shots. I don't know what it is, but they have looked horrible all year long against those Nets.
Have faith in your teammates Lebron!
Let's hope we can turn our fortunes around tonight and get a win.
When will be see Gibson back?
Dog

Akron, OH

#3 Mar 13, 2008
Why in the heck did Brown start Sasha, Dumb, Brown lost that game last night. Starting a guy thats been out so long over a red hot S. Brown.
How stupid can you be Brown, You and G Bush would make a h3ll of a team.
Just a Fan

Westlake, OH

#4 Mar 13, 2008
Agreed re: Pavlovic. An absolutely horrendous way to start the game, and NJ took advantage. Besides, Devin Brown has done far more with his opportunities this year than Sasha has.

And what about that substitution right at the end? Needing threes, in comes Smith for Wally. Huh? Missed free throw, Vince Carter goes right around Joe for the rebound, game over.

Leaves you scratching your head, that's for sure.
Akron

Marengo, OH

#5 Mar 13, 2008
Why should LaBronia include his teammates in anything - he wants all the glory for himself. He's selfish and a ballhog and wants all the attention on him. If he would get off his high horse and be a teammate, they could win more games, but it won't happen and they can continue being a subpar team. Go to New York LaBronia and play in the "garden" that you so love.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#6 Mar 13, 2008
It still is a concern that after three years of building a team around LeBron they are still an unfinished product even when the injured players return. The team is still composed of too many specialty players and not enough complete players. I think Brown does an outstanding job of making these pieces parts work. But increasingly his offensive system will be questioned by people. When Z, Wallace, and Gibson return Cleveland should be competitive enough for the playoffs. But it is not a team that can sustain winning beyond this year without big changes.

I was certainly hoping Wally would be more consistent a spot-up shooter than Hughes. He's D is awful.

Tyler Hansbrough is highly over rated.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#7 Mar 13, 2008
RPB wrote:
That was frustrating loss. They took the 1st quarter off both offensively and defensively. The fact that they had to fight to get back into the game means that tonight they probably wil have little energy against the Wizards. We may see the same effort.
The Cavs really need to get Z and Wallace healthy. Not having those two is killing them inside!
On the positive side, like I've said many times... they are still gonna finish in the 4th spot. Toronto is fading, so losses like last night aren't going to kill the Cavs in the standings. They have to start getting it together soon however, the season is running out.Hopefully they come out fighting tonight! Go Cavs
!
Little chance against Wizards tonight. Butler may be back. A test of character for the Cavs.
RoYourBoat

United States

#8 Mar 13, 2008
At times, the Cavaliers effort is disgusting. MVP players do not allow their team to play ONLY in the 4th quarter nor does he. 40 plus points in a loss means nothing.
RPB

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Mar 13, 2008
East Side Joe wrote:
It still is a concern that after three years of building a team around LeBron they are still an unfinished product even when the injured players return. The team is still composed of too many specialty players and not enough complete players. I think Brown does an outstanding job of making these pieces parts work. But increasingly his offensive system will be questioned by people. When Z, Wallace, and Gibson return Cleveland should be competitive enough for the playoffs. But it is not a team that can sustain winning beyond this year without big changes.
I was certainly hoping Wally would be more consistent a spot-up shooter than Hughes. He's D is awful.
Tyler Hansbrough is highly over rated.
ESJ, I disagree. Many of the NBA's championship teams are made up of specialty players. Look at the Bulls with Rodman, Paxson, Kerr, etc. Or the Spurs with Bowen, Horry, Barry, etc. I agree that the Cavs have flaws, but a championship roster is often not made up completely with well-rounded players. The Cavs have a good collection of shooters, rebounders, and defenders on their team. The problem is, they haven't been able to play consistently because they can't get everyone on the court.

If they can figure out how to play together in the next few weeks I think they can have a successful run this year. I do agree that they are not a finished product. The good thing is that they will have flexibility this summer with expiring contracts to make more moves.

Tyler Hansbrough is as hard a worker as there is. He will be successful in the NBA because he has talent, and will work 100 times harder than anyone else in the league.

Go Cavs!
Eric

Gainesville, FL

#15 Mar 13, 2008
RPB, I gotta disagree with you. Yes, Nba teams are made up of speciality players, but the problem with Cavs is that besides James they are all bench players. Lebron is the only player in the league who has teammates that are nowhere near his level.Just look at LA,New Orleans,Dallas,Boston,San Antonio, Orlando or any other team that is doing well this season.Those teams have a great player, a very good player and THEN speciality players. There isn't one single player on the Cavs roster that can score 20pts a night on a regular basis. And that has nothing to do with injuries. The Cavs are inconsistent because they don't have the talent. The Cavs keep surrounding James with bottom feeders. Sasha wouldn't be worth a damn even if he were completely healthy.

Yes, defense wins games,but a lack of offense loses them. For some strange reason after 4 or 5 years Gilbert/Ferry/Brown can't wrap their noggins around that fact. This team is just as poorly constructed in 2008 as it was in 2003. The Cavs flat out suck.
Just a Fan

Westlake, OH

#17 Mar 13, 2008
Eric makes the statement that the Cavs don't have a single player (other than LeBron, I presume he means) who can score 20 points a night on a regular basis. The fact is, few teams do, other than their main scorer. Rosters with multiple 20-point guys on it are less common than people think.

Which is exactly why what LeBron does night after night (30 pts) is pretty amazing. It's why Jordan was other-worldly, especially at 37 a night.(Or Wilt at 50 ppg, for the love of all things human.)

I disagree that everybody besides LeBron is a bench player. Z has been terribly underappreciated for years, but he is a starting NBA center, without question. Hopefully the back is not a career-threatening situation, but when guys reach his age, that becomes a factor.

I agree that the team has potential if everyone gets healthy, but starting Sasha is not the way to go. Give him a role, get him past this disaster of a year, and see what the future holds. But now's not the time to worry about him finding his rhythm, because it's not likely to happen.
Steve G

United States

#18 Mar 13, 2008
Akron wrote:
Why should LaBronia include his teammates in anything - he wants all the glory for himself. He's selfish and a ballhog and wants all the attention on him. If he would get off his high horse and be a teammate, they could win more games, but it won't happen and they can continue being a subpar team. Go to New York LaBronia and play in the "garden" that you so love.
Right, its all LeBron's fault. That is just stupid. If LeBron were not drafted by the Cavs we wouldn't even be thinking about the playoffs now. Yes he makes some mistakes at times, but he is human.

I agree with others, the major blunder was starting Sasha. He was way too rusty, and D. Brown was playing way too well to do that.

We need our big men back, so that people will stop driving right through the lane.
bob lewis

Kansas City, MO

#19 Mar 13, 2008
We really have to wait until the Cavs are healthy to determine how far they can go in the playoffs. I like picking up 6'11" - 260 Lance Allred from the I-League at center. He's been averaging 16.2 points on .512 shooting and 10 rebounds.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#21 Mar 13, 2008
RPB wrote:
<quoted text>
ESJ, I disagree. Many of the NBA's championship teams are made up of specialty players. Look at the Bulls with Rodman, Paxson, Kerr, etc. Or the Spurs with Bowen, Horry, Barry, etc. I agree that the Cavs have flaws, but a championship roster is often not made up completely with well-rounded players. The Cavs have a good collection of shooters, rebounders, and defenders on their team. The problem is, they haven't been able to play consistently because they can't get everyone on the court.
If they can figure out how to play together in the next few weeks I think they can have a successful run this year. I do agree that they are not a finished product. The good thing is that they will have flexibility this summer with expiring contracts to make more moves.
Tyler Hansbrough is as hard a worker as there is. He will be successful in the NBA because he has talent, and will work 100 times harder than anyone else in the league.
Go Cavs!
Hope your right. Most every player on the team is a specialty players. Cavs need two more rounded players. Your point well taken everything considered. Hansbourgh will go the way of Keith Van Horn -- just a guess.
GetReal

Medina, OH

#22 Mar 13, 2008
Poor LeBron. The guy scores 42 points, surpasses Austin Carr as second all-time in scoring, and they lose the game. If I were LeBron, I'd head outta this shithole place so fast.....
hdawg

United States

#23 Mar 14, 2008
Lebron's supporting cast isn't as bad as you want to make it out to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Varejao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LeBron James returns to Cavs: 'I'm coming home' (Jul '14) Jul '14 sam 3
News LeBron James says he's returning to Cavaliers (Jul '14) Jul '14 shenmengxing 2
News Cavaliers believe they can make playoffsCavalie... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Freda Johnson 2
News NBA Rumors: Latest Buzz on Pau Gasol, Anderson ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 waterfuckbelly 5
News MRI reveals knee contusion for Varejao (Jan '14) Feb '14 H y p e r S o n i c 2
News Mike Brown expected rough times for Cavaliers a... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Freda Johnson 1
News Undefeated Minnesota Timberwolves present a cha... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Freda Johnson 1
More from around the web