Rob Oller commentary: Without James, ...

Rob Oller commentary: Without James, Cavs are just another team...

There are 81 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 8, 2010, titled Rob Oller commentary: Without James, Cavs are just another team.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

If there ever is a time to appreciate the magnitude of what LeBron James means to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and to the city in which he plays, it is right this second.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
This Republican

United States

#1 Mar 8, 2010
Who is he?
awesomebucks

Columbus, OH

#2 Mar 8, 2010
I think you are on the right track on the cavs only when they don't have a half injured Mo williams, no Shaq and no Z. With those 3, they make the playoffs easily. So in that sense, your article is not very on track at all.
Marianne Miller

Columbus, OH

#3 Mar 8, 2010
I so enjoy watching the Cavs play, with LeBron. Without LeBron, it is a painful sight. I am perplexed as to how some players (Mo especially) do not know how to handle themselves when LeBron is not out there. Yes, indeedy, the Cavs are not the powerhouse team they have proven themselves to be without him. Although we are not regular pro sports followers, my family has been transfixed this year with the Cavs' journey to the playoffs. Its all because of what LeBron has done. He is something really special and I hope that more people take the time to watch a few games to see his rare combination of freakish athletic ability and superb basketball smarts. Thanks LeBron!
hidan kakusu combination

Quezon, Philippines

#4 Mar 8, 2010
LEBRON IS THE KING!! ALL HAIL THE KING!!
*BOW DOWN**BOWN DOWN*
Mitch

Cleveland, OH

#5 Mar 8, 2010
Oller, you are such a tool.
So, the Cav's aren't as good without Lebron...wow, what insight.
Please don't write about Cleveland's professional sports teams, you are not qualified; stick to the buckeyes and blue-jackets or stupid stories about Jack Nicklaus.
What

Columbus, OH

#6 Mar 8, 2010
They will make it to the finals and win if the rest of the team can keep up with Lebron. Mo Williams is not a good point gaurd. He needs to be a 2 gaurd. Lebron handles the ball more then he does. If Mo plays well, they win. Every other player on the team is very consistant. But Mo is all over the place.
kenmore

Barberton, OH

#7 Mar 8, 2010
It's not like their chopped liver, for an extended period they would adjust to playing without Lebron. Still some talent, but look elsewhere for a ring.
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#8 Mar 8, 2010
Cleveland will be torched if LeBron leaves town.
Lolz

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 8, 2010
Really, you can tell how a team does based on 1 game? 1 it was on a back to back and 2 they stayed with the bucks (who are the 6th best team in the east)
Sigmunddante

Leavittsburg, OH

#10 Mar 8, 2010
What you say has some merit for sure, but I'd like to see this team WITH a center and a few weeks of play without James before I'd make such a broad statement.

You do mention other factors in the loss but give them far too little credence. If Mo had been on, or perhaps with Boobie, or another guard with even average ability playing that night, the results would have been different - they would have won easily. They played with more than average defensive energy - a few more shots sinking or a little more practice at the free-throw line wins the game. This team is far from average without LeBron. Ask any coach in the league if he'd want to face a starting lineup of: Jamison, Shaq or Z, DeLonte and Mo and JJ and see what is their answer.

This article has been painted with far to broad of a brush.
Steve VC

Dublin, OH

#11 Mar 8, 2010
My God, Oller, you're a complete moron. The Cavs look shaky without Lebron because everything runs through him. They have talent around him, but everybody keys on LeBron so it stands to reason that it would take a night or two with LeBron on the shelf before they got into a groove. The Cavs looked bad shortly after they picked up Jamison but now that he's getting synced up with the rest of the squad they're better. They also looked rough when Mo Williams was fresh off his recovery. It takes time to find a pace.

The Cavs aren't that bad without LeBron, but you wouldn't see it unless he's out for three or four games. By the way, if you take Kobe away from the Lakers they'd lose steam and esteem really quick. Yet another stupid comment.

I wish Dispatch Sports columnists would think before they write. Anybody who watches sports knows that this team is far better than the Cavs of days gone by.
jframes

Chicago, IL

#13 Mar 8, 2010
Ok and? They've won games without James as LA has lost games without Kobe. You take a star and 2 centers out of any line-up in the league and you are going to struggle. So the title of your article isn't complete. All of the teams in the league are pretty motivated professionals so on any given night u will catch a bad one. Anyway most writers in Ohio sports tend to have a fatalist slant on Cleveland sports, I understand I was born and raised there. Yours isn't quite that bad but it has insecure undertones. But thats part of you creativity as a writer. Anyway, one game at a time guys it's a marathon.
ginobili

Santa Cruz, CA

#14 Mar 8, 2010
For the last three years the Cavs have not won a game w/o LJ.
Irony Cop

Dublin, OH

#15 Mar 8, 2010
ginobili wrote:
For the last three years the Cavs have not won a game w/o LJ.
He hasn't missed any significant time so in the last 3 years,so the cavs haven't had to adjust to playing without him. I think this team, perhaps more than any other incarnation of the cavs, would do well if he went down for an extended period of time. Not with best record in the league, but perhaps a solid fourth place in the conference pace, once they got a half dozen game in without the league's best player.
Mike

Dublin, OH

#16 Mar 8, 2010
Duh, you think you need to put this in writing. Of course the Cavs will be worse without LeBron in the lineup. Someone alert MENSA that there is a genius on the loose.
huh

Columbus, OH

#17 Mar 8, 2010
What a strange article.

The Cavs do just fine without James. He leaves the lineup during every game to rest. Does the team fall apart? Of course not. Why not? Because the lineup is calibrated to deal with the loss. Substitutions are dealt with in a certain way. Take him out for a whole game? You can't do that. Any player missing is a big deal. Take out the two biggest stars we have -- Shaq and LeBron? Damn straight it will be a worse team!

But to say that without LeBron the team is the same as 2002-2003 -- in other words, the worst in the league -- is just jibberish. We have several recent all-stars, maybe the deepest bench in the league, skilled players at every position, and the best record in basketball.

LeBron is the King, but he doesn't do all that by himself.
levi

Singapore, Singapore

#18 Mar 8, 2010
LBJ should rest. It's time for the other players to step up, like Jamison, Varejao and the rest of the team.
http://streamnbawadelebronkobe.blogspot.com

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#19 Mar 8, 2010
With a 5 game lead in the east, it is good that they are able to let him rest. I would have thought that they would have waited until April for that though. The ankle must really be bothering him. If he doesn't play in the Spurs game, I'd be worried that his ankle is a little more serious than they are letting on.

They'll be alright when Shaq and Z are back.
Angelo

Decatur, GA

#20 Mar 8, 2010
You are a moron. No one denies how much James means to this team, but let's not act like the Cavs would be the worst team in the league without him. The Milwaukee Bucks are one of the hottest teams in the league right now, and the Cavs, without James AND (let us not forget) WITHOUT SHAQ! The Cavs, of course, would not be the best team in the league were it not for LBJ. However, they are still a solid team, with Shaq, Mo, Jamison, Varejao, Ilgauskas (after March 22), Hickson, Parker, and the rest of the guys. Without James, they are a good team. With James, they are one of the best teams we've seen since the Jordan-era Bulls.
Preston

Cleveland, OH

#21 Mar 8, 2010
This article is grossly inaccurate. The Cavs are more than "just another team" without Lebron. Granted they aren't a championship contender without him but they definately could make the playoffs. What you failed to mention is the Cavs were without a true center against the Bucks. Had Shaq played, the points in the paint would have been much closer to their season average 44 pts.

Now you stated the Lakers won four straight without Kobe, but do you think for a minute the Lakers would have won them without Gasol, Bynum and Kobe?

If you gonna print crap like this then at least have the decency to report fairly and accurately.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Varejao Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LeBron James returns to Cavs: 'I'm coming home' (Jul '14) Jul '14 sam 3
News LeBron James says he's returning to Cavaliers (Jul '14) Jul '14 shenmengxing 2
News Cavaliers believe they can make playoffsCavalie... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Freda Johnson 2
News NBA Rumors: Latest Buzz on Pau Gasol, Anderson ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 waterfuckbelly 5
News MRI reveals knee contusion for Varejao (Jan '14) Feb '14 H y p e r S o n i c 2
News Mike Brown expected rough times for Cavaliers a... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Freda Johnson 1
News Undefeated Minnesota Timberwolves present a cha... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Freda Johnson 1
More from around the web