Can the D'Antoni hire lure LeBron to ...

Can the D'Antoni hire lure LeBron to Knicks?

There are 47 comments on the Newsday story from May 12, 2008, titled Can the D'Antoni hire lure LeBron to Knicks?. In it, Newsday reports that:

So the recruitment of one of the NBA 's brightest coaching minds was done with a tantalizing lure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Fan

Wallburg, NC

#1 May 12, 2008
Its about time! Lets see what he can do!
Tony from Brooklyn

Brooklyn, NY

#2 May 12, 2008
He can't do any worse than Larry or Thomas
sean

Wylie, TX

#3 May 12, 2008
You media guys are all crazy - there is no way LeBron is leaving Cleveland. It's nonsense to even write these stories.
Paul

New York, NY

#4 May 12, 2008
Geez..Newsday thinks all the good players are coming to NY...Why would he leave a playoff team to join the highest paid team in the league w/ the worst record??? Lets write some realistic stories buddy. The only shot NY has to winning is hoping for the BK NETS to come to town!!!..As for the knicks they will continue to do what they were put together for..that is to LOOOOSEEEE
jys22

New York, NY

#6 May 12, 2008
My reaction to the Mike D'Antoni hiring was pretty much 'ugh!'. The guy had tremendous success in Phoenix because his system worked with the roster they had. If he was hired to lure LeBron in 2010, then it's a gamble worth taking. But first, Donnie needs to make the team "competitive" again by getting ridding of a few pieces.
yagballs

New York, NY

#7 May 12, 2008
i will start watching the nix soon when they start learning how to play winning basketball. That might be in the year 2010 when they get Lebron and getting rid off the BUMs like
the entire team. Dolan hire Oak to be the enforcer to this nix BUM team..........

“Hi”

Since: May 08

College Park, MD

#8 May 12, 2008
Fan wrote:
Its about time! Lets see what he can do!
I highly doubt that.

There are several players that are good that there contract expire this season, ill name them.

1)Jr Smith
2)Steve Francis
3)Devin Harris
4)Jarvis Hays
5)Daniel Ewing

Pluse you have the draft.

It's probally going to end up as a rebuilding year.
Mark

Scotch Plains, NJ

#9 May 12, 2008
Just get under the cap and get high lottery picks.
Mark

Scotch Plains, NJ

#10 May 12, 2008
There are several players that are good that there contract expire this season, ill name them.

1)Jr Smith
2)Steve Francis
3)Devin Harris
4)Jarvis Hays
5)Daniel Ewing

Devin Harris isnt a free agent.

Steve Francis? He retired 4 yrs ago when he stopped caring.

You dont waste cap money on middling mid level guys ie Jerome James, Jared Jeffries.
Tim

New York, NY

#11 May 12, 2008
Well, Donnie & Mike better make sure that we build a nice team for LeBron to come into. They've got to overhaul this roster and make it competitive, while staying under the cap. They only have two first round picks before the summer of 2010.(They will not have their 2010 first round pick unless they finish in the top 8 in the league next year.) They've got their work cut out for them.

“Hi”

College Park, MD

#12 May 12, 2008
Mark wrote:
1)Jr Smith
2)Steve Francis
3)Devin Harris
4)Jarvis Hays
5)Daniel Ewing
Devin Harris isnt a free agent.
Steve Francis? He retired 4 yrs ago when he stopped caring.
You dont waste cap money on middling mid level guys ie Jerome James, Jared Jeffries.
Steve Francis played this season.

Devin Harris is a free agent unless they resign him, every player you trade for gets 1 year or 2, last i checked he got 1, but they will resign him, so i dont know why we are arguing about this, and yes Jarred Jeffries does suck eggs, theres nothing he can do.

1)he cant shoot
2)cant rebound

The man cant even "pick" good he's lame, like yourself.
Tim

New York, NY

#13 May 12, 2008
Dylan13578 wrote:
<quoted text>I highly doubt that.
1)Jr Smith
2)Steve Francis
3)Devin Harris
4)Jarvis Hays
5)Daniel Ewing
Pluse you have the draft.
It's probally going to end up as a rebuilding year.
Dylan, I'm glad you pay a lot of attention to the NBA. Devin Harris signed a 5-year extension before this past season, buddy. What the Knicks should do is look into the Net's back up point guard, Marcus Williams.
R U kidding

United States

#14 May 12, 2008
Last year it was Kobe coming to the Knicks. This year it is getting Lebron in another year or two. I understand that if/when NY teams do well things are great but the Knicks have been awful for years. Is he going to get more endorsements than he already has? No! What he needs is a team with talent around him to make him great. Could you see Lebron on Boston or LA or Detroit or Phoenix. He would be unstoppable. Going to the Knicks other than cashing a check would be a waste of time.
BUCK

West Chester, OH

#15 May 12, 2008
Knicks= wrong owner, wrong gm, wrong coach, and crazy fans. If you really want a good team like those of the past, stop going to the games. Then the owner will get it. As long as the place is filled up, do u think the owner really cares? Who else would keep Thomas as long as he did. Labron playing for no-d d'antoni, forget it. Labron will never say it, because that is the type of person he is, but he knows bad coaches, he plays for one everyday.
venom

Brooklyn, NY

#16 May 12, 2008
BUCK wrote:
Knicks= wrong owner, wrong gm, wrong coach, and crazy fans. If you really want a good team like those of the past, stop going to the games. Then the owner will get it. As long as the place is filled up, do u think the owner really cares? Who else would keep Thomas as long as he did. Labron playing for no-d d'antoni, forget it. Labron will never say it, because that is the type of person he is, but he knows bad coaches, he plays for one everyday.
and when did the last team from OHIO win a nBA championship?
venom

Brooklyn, NY

#17 May 12, 2008
shooting within 10 seconds means less sights of Crawford or any Knick guard trying to go one-on-one as the clock runs out. Balkman. Lee, Nate, Chandler, Collins will probably thrive in the running style .... if it means Crawford and Marbury drive instead shooting 30% from outside they will also.. Lets see what shape Curry and James show up in this time. If they can't keep up, they will be gone. Zach, will be critical as a rebounder hope remebers how pass...
venom

Brooklyn, NY

#18 May 12, 2008
R U kidding wrote:
Last year it was Kobe coming to the Knicks. This year it is getting Lebron in another year or two. I understand that if/when NY teams do well things are great but the Knicks have been awful for years. Is he going to get more endorsements than he already has? No! What he needs is a team with talent around him to make him great. Could you see Lebron on Boston or LA or Detroit or Phoenix. He would be unstoppable. Going to the Knicks other than cashing a check would be a waste of time.
true. The days when athletes in any sport felt that they HAD to come to NY or CA to get recognition and get paid are long over. With cablle and the Internet we see Carmelo and AI from Denver and Bobcat Paul and other star players just as ofen as any Laker or KNick. No players say why bother with the hassle of NY media and fans when they can get the money any where.

“Hi”

College Park, MD

#19 May 12, 2008
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Dylan, I'm glad you pay a lot of attention to the NBA. Devin Harris signed a 5-year extension before this past season, buddy. What the Knicks should do is look into the Net's back up point guard, Marcus Williams.
Really?im 13 anyway, yeah probally marcus williams.
Whatever

Chester, NY

#20 May 12, 2008
this story is only about 777 words too long
AZ Yankee Fan

Surprise, AZ

#21 May 12, 2008
Having seen D'Antoni up close the past couple of years, I can say categorically that his style will NEVER win a championship. The Suns fans here that understand this reality were glad to see him go. Under him the Suns didn't play defense, didn't rebound, and missed free throws. Those are the 3 most important elements of playoff basketball!

It just shows how the Knicks can't ever get it right. Instead of hiring a lesser known guy who understands fundamentals and will stick around for the time it takes to rebuild this team, they go for the highly flawed brand name. Eastern Conference basketball is all about hard nosed, physical defense, so even if D'Antoni can somehow get them into the playoffs in a couple of years, how do they get past any of the teams that defend (i.e. Boston, Philly, Detroit, Washington?)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amar'e Stoudemire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Knicks fire coach Mike Woodson, rest of staff (Apr '14) May '14 bigtool 5
News Amar'e Stoudemire Rumors: What Should New York ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 The_Solution 8
News Chris Paul to the Knicks would be nearly imposs... (May '13) May '13 Ginobili 2
News 2013 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Amar'e Stoudemire to ... (May '13) May '13 Jmar196 1
News NBA Power Rankings: New York Knicks in No Posit... (Dec '12) Dec '12 jake 2
News Felton hopes Knicks fans welcome Lin warmly (Dec '12) Dec '12 Ginobili 12
News NY Knicks: Hot Start Proves Carmelo Anthony Bet... (Nov '12) Nov '12 kyu 6
More from around the web