Report: Timberwolves, Mavericks discu...

Report: Timberwolves, Mavericks discussed Al Jefferson trade

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 29, 2010, titled Report: Timberwolves, Mavericks discussed Al Jefferson trade. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Dallas Mavericks asked about Minnesota Timberwolves forward Al Jefferson before the draft last week, ESPNDallas.com reported today, citing sources close to the situation, and could make another run at him later.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Mike

Alexandria, MN

#1 Jun 29, 2010
Al Jefferson is a quality player and will continue to get better after knee surgery. He's also the only player we have that we could get much for in return. And I don't see Joe Johnson and espcially Amare Stoudemire considering the Timberwolves no matter how much money they throw at them.
Monster

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jun 30, 2010
I'm not a much of a fan of either Love or Jefferson, but why would you trade Jefferson now? The nadir of his value was last year coming off of knee reconstruction, but his value is still lower than it could be. I would keep Love on the bench (if he is still on the team) and play Jefferson, allowing Jefferson him to pad his offensive stats. Who cares about Jefferson's defensive indifference next year, the Wolves won't be contending for anything other than the #1 overall pick next year anyhow. Next summer would be the better year to put Jefferson on the trading block.

Stoudemire does nothing for me. Between Jefferson and Stoudemire, I would almost rather have Jefferson. There has got to be something wrong with the guy if 'los Suns' have been trying to get rid of him for years. Stoudemire runs the floor a little better, but is no more interested in defense than Jefferson.
fracas

Tea, SD

#3 Jun 30, 2010
I agree with the above poster that Big Al's value is understated at this moment. If someone isn't willing to give you honest value in return now, then hang on to Al, give him regular minutes, and deal him during the season once teams are more comfortable with his health. The return may be better then.

Al, prior to injury, was a legitimate 20-10 guy.
Al has a reasonable contract, and is only 26. To trade Al in a salary dump trade would be the wrong move. Hang on until someone offers reasonable value. If it doesn't happen now it will almost certainly happen once the teams that "strike out" in free agency go into scramble mode.
BigAL

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jun 30, 2010
fracas wrote:
I agree with the above poster that Big Al's value is understated at this moment. If someone isn't willing to give you honest value in return now, then hang on to Al, give him regular minutes, and deal him during the season once teams are more comfortable with his health. The return may be better then.
Al, prior to injury, was a legitimate 20-10 guy.
Al has a reasonable contract, and is only 26. To trade Al in a salary dump trade would be the wrong move. Hang on until someone offers reasonable value. If it doesn't happen now it will almost certainly happen once the teams that "strike out" in free agency go into scramble mode.
Big AL does not fit the triangle offense which is built on movement, passing and coming off screens. Once the ball hits Big AL's hands this all stops because he is the black hole and will not pass it back. Instead he puts his back to the basket and tries to get there. No matter how good he is at that it is not part of the team's new makeup and direction. It is time for Big AL to go, he is a #2 player at best but more like a #3 because he is so lazy on defense.
TTT

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jun 30, 2010
The Mavs want 50cent? He was a slouch anyways.
Nick

Hopkins, MN

#6 Jun 30, 2010
You're right, Big Al doesn't fit the triangle offense, but guess what? No one on our team does! The bigger problem is Rambis doesn't fit the players on our team! We have a young team with no legit wing scorer who can create his own offense. The triangle works with players who have a lot of experience and a team with a legit wing scorer. This team should be running a pick and roll offense like 90% of the teams in the league. Good coaches find a way to create an strategy to fit their players, Rambis isn't doing that. Kahn and Rambis are continuing the ineptitude of this franchise. If you're smart you'll jump on the OKC bandwagon now.
The Enforcer

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jun 30, 2010
How about going after John Salmons from the Bucks. I might actually pay to see a line up of Flynn, Webster, Salmons, Love, and some tough center they still can pick up in the next couple of weeks. Salmons can create and play defense. Webster can slash and hit jumpers. We need a post who can run but still play tough D in the post.

I agree with other posters that Rambis has to do a better job of designing an offense that fits his roster. I had a HS football coach who came in and insisted we run a veer offense when we had the tools to run an effective spread. Needless to say, no one was happy and we had a clunker of a year. Luckily that coach got fired and we opened up and did much better the next year.
Jryder

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Jun 30, 2010
This is a good position i hope to be in with our T-Wolvees dealing with The Pacers & Dallas around the same times. Ive wondered about Ricky Rubio moving off the point to 2 guard strickly to make room for some odd signing combination like... making room for Rasheed Wallace and a player not to be name later. We got 6'9 run & gun wings now..unlike..smaller teams.
Its feels pretty good being able to maybe get Ty Lawson back instead of being BuMed out by #11 Johnny Flynn. Or does he even wear want to wear #11 ...12..... 24 ????.
Id took Rubio puttin it up on the rim like when Wally Z. weas a rookie any-day before I had watched FLynn cut my roster to l-eaving school early)lottery picks. With M.Webster being our #1 or #2 overall pick this year . W/ our #4. WE can cahnge lineups alot and watch the +&the-. inccrreeeae with players we like. THere was a lot of hatin on Darco Milicic on how he only got one more year left in this leauge being singed by a Minnesota team. We should not resign him either ::; Were be smaller but quicker on the breaks But defenitly a contender w/ him. WE should wait for Rubio watch tapes on Iversons transitions.

Since: Jun 09

San Fernando Valley

#9 Jun 30, 2010
Boy that must suck with all the hopes and specualtions you guys have to throw around "wishing" your team to improve. Guess we are pretty spoiled with our Lakers out here. And being a little biased because I am a Bruin, I watched KLove every game his freshman year. The guy is a stud. If he stays healthy, he will double-double for you every night!!!
Mike

Alexandria, MN

#10 Jun 30, 2010
Brew In wrote:
Boy that must suck with all the hopes and specualtions you guys have to throw around "wishing" your team to improve. Guess we are pretty spoiled with our Lakers out here. And being a little biased because I am a Bruin, I watched KLove every game his freshman year. The guy is a stud. If he stays healthy, he will double-double for you every night!!!
The only way we will improve is to find our own star. Once you have one, someone else might want to join him. Until then, guys who can make maxium money only want to join a team that's on the verge of a championship...and who can blame them?
clueless

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Jun 30, 2010
jefferson to bobcats for tyson chandler and their
2011 first.
odennorsson

United States

#12 Jul 3, 2010
I don't get the point of cap space if all you sign is a washed up Darco. Trading Jeffereson for Dampier's cap space allows a team to sign players looking for a second chance. We could just trade our #16 for a player looking for a 2nd chance (Webster). What a waste! Jefferson is the only automatic scorer on the roster and the only player worth paying to see and we'll trade him for cap space so we can sign players not named James Wade or Gay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Al Jefferson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA Players Who Will Be Grossly Overpaid (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ginobili 4
News Kanter (23 points, 22 rebounds) leads Jazz in rout (Mar '13) Mar '13 cold cat 1
News NBA's first 4OT game since 1997 (Mar '12) Mar '12 Marissa 2 1
News Utah Jazz fall apart quickly in season-opening ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 jeff 1
News Jazz steamroll Timberwolves, but Kevin Love res... (Mar '11) Mar '11 the real just ano... 8
News New Year - New Optimism (Jan '11) Jan '11 Raheeda 1
News Jazz 112, Timberwolves 107: Minnesota blows 12-... (Dec '10) Dec '10 the real just ano... 3
More from around the web