Tom Powers: Wolves don't take the bai...

Tom Powers: Wolves don't take the bait and still get their man

There are 29 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Tom Powers: Wolves don't take the bait and still get their man. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

"Oh yeah? Well I double dare you!" Give the New Jersey Nets "A" for effort but "F" for execution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Hard Truth

Northome, MN

#1 Jun 25, 2010
I fear that Mr. Kahn, Mr. Taylor, and Mr. Rambis are simply all in over their heads. This is becoming a team to hate. That is a sad thing to have to say.
DD Austin

United States

#3 Jun 25, 2010
Johnson was a real good pick, BUT the rest of the CON man's moves are very questionable. They should have kept the kid from Nevada. What were they thinking? I guarantee you - Portland loves wheeling and dealing with the CON man. They get the gold mine and the T-Wolves get the shaft. Every year you can count on it - they get great players and then immediately trade them for players who do nothing for them. Here we go again! CON has got to go! ;(
Bad Apples

Bergen, NY

#4 Jun 25, 2010
Could the above poster explain in detail why they say this??? It will take a decade for even the best GM to turn this franchise around.
whats up

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 25, 2010
zzzz zzzz zzzzz
The only thing we can hope for is that one of these players ends up surprising everyone and being spectacular.
I sure hope so, as I haven't watched a game since KG left and they have a lot of work to do if they want anyone to watch or care again.
Last year I was offered courtside tickets to a game for free and turned them down as I couldn't go down and watch that team, its too depressing.
Wahoo McDaniel

Rochester, MN

#6 Jun 25, 2010
Wolves are now looking to trade Wesley Johnson!!

Kahn might trade Johnson for Courtney Love and Kirstie Alley! Teamed with Big Al they could be quite productive. Stay tuned, the "Tradin' Timberwolves are at it again!!
Joe

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Jun 25, 2010
What a DISASTER as the worst GM in the NBA (David Kahn) strikes again. First of all we should have taken Cousins which would have solved our problem at Center. Love would be our PF and trade Jefferson. The other option was trading up to #2 and getting Turner who would have been a great fit with Flynn for the next decade. We had three #1 picks and this is the best Kahn can accomplish. This guy needs to be fired but unfortunately it is too late!
gophs

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jun 25, 2010
Joe wrote:
What a DISASTER as the worst GM in the NBA (David Kahn) strikes again. First of all we should have taken Cousins which would have solved our problem at Center. Love would be our PF and trade Jefferson. The other option was trading up to #2 and getting Turner who would have been a great fit with Flynn for the next decade. We had three #1 picks and this is the best Kahn can accomplish. This guy needs to be fired but unfortunately it is too late!
Johnson will be a better pro player than Evan Turner, you can take that to the bank. He's a better shooter, more athletic, and more versatile. Cousins would have turned into a fat pig for us. He wouldn't even come up here to work out for us. Yah, that screams "ready to help this franchise!" I'm not ready to give up on Johnny Flynn or Corey Brewer yet, and hopefully Rubio will be here in a year. With Johnson, Kevin Love, and Co., we actually have the foundation for a very solid young roster that will still take some lumps for a couple years, but, should continue to improve and bring this team back. Reminds me of the twins in the early 80's with a bunch of unproven youngsters playing. And we all know that didn't turn out too bad.
what the F

Big Lake, MN

#9 Jun 25, 2010
it would have been really dumb for New Jersey to draft Johnson ?? kind of like you, CON-man, when you drafted 3 point guards last year and signed a 4th PG as a free agent .... or kind of like you , CON-man , when you drafted 3 SF this year and made a trade for a 4th SF .... plain and simple the team needs defense .... the accumulation of players on this roster could care less about defense .... Brewer is maybe the only guy who plays defense although he turned into the shoot first type of guy last year .... but in the end it doesn't matter as the NBA is as "rigged" of a sport as they come .... somewhere around the level of WWE
America the Great

Fargo, ND

#10 Jun 25, 2010
gophs wrote:
<quoted text>
Johnson will be a better pro player than Evan Turner, you can take that to the bank. He's a better shooter, more athletic, and more versatile. Cousins would have turned into a fat pig for us. He wouldn't even come up here to work out for us. Yah, that screams "ready to help this franchise!" I'm not ready to give up on Johnny Flynn or Corey Brewer yet, and hopefully Rubio will be here in a year. With Johnson, Kevin Love, and Co., we actually have the foundation for a very solid young roster that will still take some lumps for a couple years, but, should continue to improve and bring this team back. Reminds me of the twins in the early 80's with a bunch of unproven youngsters playing. And we all know that didn't turn out too bad.
I love your love for the Timberwolves. You are an ultimate fan. I just wish Kahn, Rambis, and Taylor would REWARD your loyalty with a quality basketball team. Right now, I just don't see it.

If Flynn was going to be the guy, he should have had a monster year, like Brandon Jennings had. He struggled, mightily, and many nights Ramon Sessions, who isn't with the club anymore, was the better point guard. He isn't an explosive driver and doesn't have much range on his jumpshot.

Ah, Rubio. I'm still not convinced he's that good or coming here. And what's the whole love affair with European players all about any way? Ask any Bulls fan from Chicago, Toni Kukoc was a nightmare. He was an erratic shooter, a poor defender, and extremely inconsistent. We remember Scottie Pippen, Mike Jordan, D-Rodman, Steve Kerr, Horace Grant, and Ron Harper as the best Bulls ever. We don't say, hey Toni Kukoc, what a great guy. Couldn't have won championships without him.

Take it from me, there are only 3 European players worth a damn in the NBA, Dirk Nowitski (lost in the Finals to Miami), Toni Parker (won two Finals with Spurs), and Pau Gasol (three Finals with Lakers, 2-1 in that span). Ever other European has been a bust (and Ginobilli is from Argentina, not Europe).

Wes Johnson may give them more perimeter scoring (certainly can't count on C-Brew to do that), but we're still SOFT in the post, and we have no superstar player to go to in the 4th quarter. We will struggle to match 15 wins next season.
what the F

Big Lake, MN

#11 Jun 25, 2010
Joe wrote:
pretty much my exact thoughts .... I would have traded all the first round picks to land one of the top two studs .... and you have to trade Jefferson or Love as they do not get along
The Blame Game

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jun 25, 2010
Why are we complaining about the T-Wolves....folks?

We should be protesting all of NBA.

Why you ask?

Simple.....David Stern and his cronies in the
supposed big market has eroded the the NBA
for years.

Look at the Championship franchises, they get
the best players in the draft and free agents.
Nobody wants in on the T-Wolves or Memphis any
time soon. You think Wade or Lebron will ever
think about coming here even if we can afford
them......H E L L ...no!!

So what you have here is a team monopoly for
years and years always winning and the losing
teams always losing with the fan base eroding
every season to .....nothing!

Don't believe me.....look at the NFL for guidance,
every season some team has a chance to win the big
one and not just LA or Boston or San Antonio in the NBA.

Good luck folks and lay the blame where it should
be..........The NBA itself.
John

Madison, WI

#15 Jun 25, 2010
I don;t know why, but I was expecting more from the draft. The Wolves did their usual accummulate a lot of first and second round draft choses and then give all but one away for nothing that will make them substantially better next season. Ho hum! I keep hearing about this "grand plan", but then nothing. If Kahn were smart he would share it with the fans. Kahn better do something spectacular in free agency or Target Center will be enpty this year.
G-Cracker

Rochester, MN

#16 Jun 25, 2010
Last year I accidentally left a pair of T-wolves tickets on the dashboard of my car. When I returned an hour later, someone had broken into my car and left another pair.
dieter

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jun 25, 2010
I was really looking forward to this draft just to be dissapointed one more time. We had 5 freaking picks and this is what we get with no solution to center unless you count the Pecovic guy coming from Europe in a few weeks(?).
Powers, if this was the time to forget about the "nice guy part" and go for the kill, then you needed to take Cousins. Period.
For the one that comments on Counsins reluctance to work out, let me leave you with a few nuggets from Kahn, which by the way SUC&S!!!!!

"Complicating the Timberwolves' situation is GM David Kahn's "condescending, abrasive style," which frustrates rival GMs and agents who might deal with him, according to the report. Kentucky power forward DeMarcus Cousins and Georgetown center Greg Monroe wouldn't work out for Minnesota. Favors only did so reluctantly and was told he was out of shape by Kahn, infuriating Favors' agent."
.Kahn has told agents he would move Jefferson by the beginning of the season, according to the report, he is greatly overvaluing the player with a big contract and a reconstructed knee.
mr X

Eden Prairie, MN

#19 Jun 25, 2010
i just looked at the draft history of the wolves.
its embarrassing to look at..
we didnt need Ray Allen.. or Brandon Roy..
dudi ebi???
is contraction possible?
tear down the target center so the Twins fans have somewhere to park..
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jun 25, 2010
The Blame Game wrote:
Simple.....David Stern and his cronies in the
supposed big market has eroded the the NBA
for years.
Look at the Championship franchises, they get
the best players in the draft and free agents.
Nobody wants in on the T-Wolves or Memphis any
time soon. You think Wade or Lebron will ever
think about coming here even if we can afford
them......H E L L ...no!!
Is that why the New York Knicks are a dynasty?

Is that why the best young team in the league is Oklahoma City?

Is that why Cleveland has a very good chance at resigning Lebron James?

Championship franchises get the best free agents because they are championship franchises.

Championship franchises get the best draft picks because they have GMs that know how to build championship franchises.

The Los Angeles Lakers have won two straight titles because an incompetent GM in Memphis gave away Pau Gasol for nothing.
Big D

Everett, WA

#21 Jun 25, 2010
I think I could have drafted better, if I were to close my eyes and just randomly pick guys. What horrible draft picks. Johnson is top 15 talent, but not top 5.
No Superstar Period

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Jun 25, 2010
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why the New York Knicks are a dynasty?
Is that why the best young team in the league is Oklahoma City?
Is that why Cleveland has a very good chance at resigning Lebron James?
Championship franchises get the best free agents because they are championship franchises.
Championship franchises get the best draft picks because they have GMs that know how to build championship franchises.
The Los Angeles Lakers have won two straight titles because an incompetent GM in Memphis gave away Pau Gasol for nothing.
Dude the NBA is D E A D.....or will be soon.
Nobody wants to watch a bunch of overpaid
5 on 5 thugs over 82 -f r i k e n- games!!

Come join the NFL soon O.K.? you sound like
you need a change of scenery to wipe that
negativity off your day.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Jun 25, 2010
No Superstar Period wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude the NBA is D E A D.....or will be soon.
Nobody wants to watch a bunch of overpaid
5 on 5 thugs over 82 -f r i k e n- games!!
Come join the NFL soon O.K.? you sound like
you need a change of scenery to wipe that
negativity off your day.
Game 7 of the NBA Finals was the most watched summer television program since June 2000. The most watched NBA basketball game since Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals. Yep, nobody is watching.
Jonboy

Elk River, MN

#24 Jun 25, 2010
The Wolves should have taken Cousins instead of Johnson, as they now have an over abundance of SF's. Cousins would be a monster for years, as was Shaq.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Al Jefferson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nate McMillan should dare to be weird Sep '17 TritpiPharterz 6
News NBA Players Who Will Be Grossly Overpaid (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ginobili 4
News Kanter (23 points, 22 rebounds) leads Jazz in rout (Mar '13) Mar '13 cold cat 1
News NBA's first 4OT game since 1997 (Mar '12) Mar '12 Marissa 2 1
News Utah Jazz fall apart quickly in season-opening ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 jeff 1
News Jazz steamroll Timberwolves, but Kevin Love res... (Mar '11) Mar '11 the real just ano... 8
News New Year - New Optimism (Jan '11) Jan '11 Raheeda 1
More from around the web