Find out why Magic's Foyle has some b...

Find out why Magic's Foyle has some big fans in Denver

There are 21 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 10, 2009, titled Find out why Magic's Foyle has some big fans in Denver. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

I n the bleak backwash of Alex Rodriguez taking steroids, Michael Phelps taking bong hits and Barry Bonds headed to trial, let me tell you about a letter I got a few days ago concerning Magic reserve center ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brian

Tampa, FL

#1 Feb 10, 2009
What an awesome story, gave me chills.

Adonal Foyle is the man!
mike

Orlando, FL

#2 Feb 10, 2009
Yes, a nice story indeed. I liked his comment "Why doesn't everybody?" when asked why he treats fans nicely. I wish more athletes were as giving of their time.
Jeff Turner

Dallas, TX

#3 Feb 11, 2009
Adonal does the same thing before EVERY Magic game. He's the only one who goes out of his way to be nice to every kid, walk through every high-five tunnel, and joke around with people sitting courtside.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#4 Feb 11, 2009
What an awesome story. I'm proud of our Magic man! Good job Adonal!! Thanks for posting this Mike.
Matthew Abaddon

Cocoa, FL

#5 Feb 11, 2009
Adonal has stepped up in the place of Bo Outlaw when it comes to community leader and ambassador for the Magic... seems he is doing a great job so far
Luke

Clearwater, FL

#6 Feb 11, 2009
What an awesome story indeed! I hope David Stern gets this.
Brian from Lititz

East Stroudsburg, PA

#7 Feb 11, 2009
Awesome. Keep him on the team for a long time. I don't care if one of his legs falls off, that's the type of player that you want. Good job!
AAAARRRRGGHH

Orlando, FL

#8 Feb 11, 2009
There should be more athletes who are as educated, politically active, considerate and appreciative as Adonal Foyle.
He would make a great community ambassador for the Magic after his playing career is over.
paulyboy

United States

#9 Feb 11, 2009
I have been to numerous courtside magic games and I will say
from my experience that adonal foyle is an icredible person to
young and old alike. I also would like to add that most of the magic players are very personable and friendly. I would not hold
most other athletes in the same class as our magic men!
Joe

Brentwood, TN

#10 Feb 11, 2009
Great story. I wish his attitude was contagious.
OreGator

Portland, OR

#11 Feb 11, 2009
Cool story Mike. Adonal is such a great all-around human being. I took a couple of classes with him when he played for the Warriors.

He was taking graduate sport psychology classes - said he planned to get a masters in sport psych then a law degree. How many pros are doing that?!
Jeff B

United States

#12 Feb 11, 2009
I've seen Adonal socializing with kids on the sidelines and have never grasp "the moment" from this perspective. Adonal has definitely moved up on my appreciation list and I am thankful for the Sentinel bringing it to my attention. In these days of where news agencies appear to always going out of their way to find the negative in the story, it's refreshing to be uplifted reading a positive newspaper article. Thanks Adonal and thanks Mike B!!
bythesea

Daytona Beach, FL

#13 Feb 11, 2009
Adonal was going to high school in Hamilton, NY, when my husband, kids and I moved to Hamilton. My son was in the third grade, a sweet little blond haired, blue eyed, very shy and introverted little boy in a new school where he knew no one. We happened to pass this very tall young man in the doorway as we came into school on that first day. Adonal was a very tall young man at his then 16 years and we looked way up to see his happy face holding the door for us. well, as it turns out, the third graders had reading partners from a higher grade and that very articulate young man, Adonal, was my son's reading partner for the remainder of his third grade year. Kudos to Adonal and his incredible kindness to my son. Adonal went on to Colgate University, also in Hamilton, NY, after being recruited by Duke, Syracuse and a few others because he wanted to stay close to his host family, get an excellent education and return to his home in the Caribbean to hopefully someday be prime minister, or that was his goal at the time (he did eventually graduate from Colgate after leaving after his junior year to the Golden State Warriors). God bless this kind young man and many thanks for his kindness to my now 25 year old son.
Austin

Gainesville, FL

#14 Feb 11, 2009
While Adonal certainly isn't the most skilled NBA player out there, by any means, I can say from meeting the man multiple times and seeing him up close that he is by far one of the smartest, and also one of the wisest.
That is precisely why, should Adonal opt to retire after the Magic eventually let him go, I hope the organization has a front office position, if not an assistant coaching position, waiting for him.

Quick side story:
The last "Meet the Magic" signing party I went to was last years, in early January 2008. I decided that since I had a Carlos Arroyo bobblehead from one of the giveaway's, I might as well bring that as my item to have Mr. Arroyo sign.
As it turns out, the tablel Carlos was at also had Maurice Evans & Adonal sitting at it. As I hand the bobblehead to Carlos, with the bubblewrap still around the neck to protect it, Maurice starts laughing, just playfully "clowning" on the bobblehead. As I look at Maurice, I see that in front on him is Adonal's namecard, and Maurice's is sitting in front on Adonal, meaning they sat down in the wrong seats. Deciding to join in on the fun, I point this out to Mr. Evans. "Maurice, sure, you can make fun of Carlos' bobblehead, but why is your name suddenly Adonal?" Adonal looks at me and replies with a wide grin on his, "It's because he wants my defensive prowness."
I walked away grinning from ear to ear, thinking, "How much do you want to bet 90% of the NBA doesn't have a clue what prowness even means?"

As for an example of him interacting with the young fans, I saw that over Winter Break. During one of the games, he came over to the courtside seats and sat with a young boy wearing a Magic Foyle jersey. Talked to the kid for a few minutes, pulled out an autographed picture and gave it to him, and then after my father offered our pen, signed the kid's jersey, too. He even let the kid feed him the ball as he was working on his inside game. Dwight came over and played around with the two of them, as Adonal and the child played "keep-away" from Dwight.
Hedo comes over and gives the kid a high-five, and as he walks away Adonal looks at the kid and says, "Tell Hedo he's good and all, but I'm your favorite!"
Being part Arabic, I yell at Foyle, "Adonal! Don't go messin with my Arabic cuz, man!" He looks over, sees me, and laughing, says, "Hedo is your friend? HE is your friend?! Man, I feel sorry for you."

So there's two more stories about how great a guy Adonal is.

Basically, to sum it all up, it's quite simple:
Adonal gets IT.
Austin

Gainesville, FL

#15 Feb 11, 2009
Matthew Abaddon wrote:
Adonal has stepped up in the place of Bo Outlaw when it comes to community leader and ambassador for the Magic... seems he is doing a great job so far
Agreed 100%! After reading an article on Adonal's political org online a few years ago and then meeting him last year, I said precisely that to my father. "He reminds me of Bo so much!"

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#16 Feb 11, 2009
Its great to have a guy like that on our team.
This is the 2nd center like that...
remember that other one...whats his name....came out of the closet in Utah was also the cool dude.
Jimmy

Windermere, FL

#17 Feb 11, 2009
Mike's best article in recent memory. I think it was because he didn't write part of it. Addition by subtraction, Bianchi.
James

Livingston, NJ

#18 Feb 11, 2009
Mike- Fordward this piece to David Stern!!! He loves this stuff. As for Adonal- we love you in Orlando and hope you stick around until your Prime Minister days...
david

Miami, FL

#19 Feb 11, 2009
what a wonderful story!
hey you

Longwood, FL

#20 Feb 11, 2009
Foyle is why they increased the roster size to 15 a couple years ago. He's not the greatest player in the world, but he won't embarrass you, either. Every team needs this kind of player to set an example for some of the younger knuckleheads - though the Magic's best young players do not seem to be knucklehead, for which I am grateful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adonal Foyle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Orlando Magic forward Rashard Lewis' 1-year-old... (Mar '09) Jun '09 bremerton-1 12
News Bringing Jameer Nelson back for Finals an iffy ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Blake34 30
News Magci re-sign center Adonal Foyle (Mar '09) Mar '09 Dave 15
News Magic starting point guard job now on the shoul... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Andrew 129
News Rafer Alston dons No. 1 in first Amway Arena ap... (Feb '09) Feb '09 willie 4
News Rafer Alston trade huge coup for Magic GM Smith... (Feb '09) Feb '09 coolzero 61
News Magic trade Brian Cook for Rockets' Rafer Alston (Feb '09) Feb '09 egriff txsports org 142
More from around the web