Orlando Magic's 2007-08 season in review

Orlando Magic's 2007-08 season in review

There are 9 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 13, 2008, titled Orlando Magic's 2007-08 season in review. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

THE HIGHLIGHTS The Magic won 52 games, a Southeast Division title and a playoff series -- things the franchise hadn't accomplished since the 1995-96 season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Voice Of Reason

Orlando, FL

#1 May 14, 2008
They suck plain and simple. Magic is a great name for this team because they are an illusion. People say they are a good team but they are not. Lets face it, if the playoffs were an open seeding this team would be ranked 12 or 13th at best out of the 16 teams that made the playoffs. No way they woul get out of round 1 in the west.

Sad thing is we have a legit center who is getting his arse kissed daily but he isnt a great player. He can dunk ... but does dwight have a go to low post move yet? This guy is a more dominant version of David Robinson. He's almost "too nice". And with a stud you need to have a mean tsreak in you saying "not in my house". I just dont see that in dwight yet perhaps that will change as gets older and more mature. But his goofy smiley personality tells me different. No way this kid should not be averaging 30-15-3.

Then we have Lewis (who i like as a player) but is the worlds most expensive role player in NBA hsitory. That cripples our team from making moves. Then you have Hedo ... maybe it should be HeDOnt. The guy suffers from the same condition that Peja does and thats that he cant get it done in the playoffs. Maybe he has been in the playoffs twice with the Magic but this guy has a history of back peddling against better players. My guess is that since he is a euro player he will never have that attitude agaisnt marquee players to say ... "I will destroy You". And its sad too because he has the skills. 9 years in the league ... I just dont see him developing now into that killer mentality that you need.

Jameer? Guy has heart I'll give him that. But seriously ... if this is our Number 1 point guard than 2nd round is our ceiling ... Maybe just maybe ECF. But thats it. The guy is a liability over a 7 game series against better competition. In 5 games the magic had 76 assits ,,, and in 5 games the Magic had 76 turnovers ... ur just not gonna win like that.

Lastly ... lets see these guys develop some work ethic .. free throw shooting, closing out games in the regular season .. taking things seriously. You can say i am a hater and not giving these guys credit for a great season of 50 wins and making it to the 2nd round of the East COnf Playoffs ... but look who's on this team ... arent they supposed to win 50 games? Arent they supposed to reach the 2nd round? If thats the ceiling you want then continue to blow smoke up their arse ... but if you want a contender and a parade down Orange avenue than demand more.

Lastly .. Management ... i would trade Hedo now that he has some value ... put Lewis in his natural position and see if you can upgrade the point ... dont trade hedo unless you get 100% value .. if not lets hope the guy can turn into a better defender ... better ball handler who doesnt turn the ball over when it counts and can finally develop a killer instinct. A lot to ask for from a 10 year vet who already is who he is.
Olga

AOL

#2 May 14, 2008
After a lost in the playoffs, i think is time now to made some changes for next season starting with a new GM Otis Smith doesnot know how to choose a good players, Magic need a big man, and many good shooters , and a new point guard.
Hold on here

Orlando, FL

#3 May 14, 2008
I think "Voice of Reason" needs to get his head out of his arse! The Magic are a great B-ball team. Yeah they need to improve more on defense and ball handling, but seriously I think we have something here. D12 is the future of the NBA, No doubt about it. Next year will be different with Battie returning. I do think they need ANOTHER big guy with good mid range shooting. I don't think it's a wise choice for Hedo to be traded and we already have good shooters (Bogans, Evans, and of course Rashard). Otis Smith knows what he doing. We've gone to the second round series. We haven't done that in 12 years! I'd think he has done something right. I believe in the Magic. I believe they will on top of the East for the next 6 years at least. So called fans like "Voice of Reason" and "Olga" need to move back to "origin of birth" under that rock.

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

#4 May 14, 2008
Hold on here wrote:
I think "Voice of Reason" needs to get his head out of his arse! The Magic are a great B-ball team. Yeah they need to improve more on defense and ball handling, but seriously I think we have something here. D12 is the future of the NBA, No doubt about it. Next year will be different with Battie returning. I do think they need ANOTHER big guy with good mid range shooting. I don't think it's a wise choice for Hedo to be traded and we already have good shooters (Bogans, Evans, and of course Rashard). Otis Smith knows what he doing. We've gone to the second round series. We haven't done that in 12 years! I'd think he has done something right. I believe in the Magic. I believe they will on top of the East for the next 6 years at least. So called fans like "Voice of Reason" and "Olga" need to move back to "origin of birth" under that rock.
"Great team", great teams do not get there asses handed to them by a bunch of old dudes. You my friend may want to get your head out of Howards ass.

Since: May 07

Tavares, FL

#5 May 14, 2008
ShoresBlogger wrote:
<quoted text>"Great team", great teams do not get there asses handed to them by a bunch of old dudes. You my friend may want to get your head out of Howards ass.
Man you're stupid!
d12rocks

Newnan, GA

#6 May 14, 2008
Voice Of Reason wrote:
They suck plain and simple. Magic is a great name for this team because they are an illusion. People say they are a good team but they are not. Lets face it, if the playoffs were an open seeding this team would be ranked 12 or 13th at best out of the 16 teams that made the playoffs. No way they woul get out of round 1 in the west.
Sad thing is we have a legit center who is getting his arse kissed daily but he isnt a great player. He can dunk ... but does dwight have a go to low post move yet? This guy is a more dominant version of David Robinson. He's almost "too nice". And with a stud you need to have a mean tsreak in you saying "not in my house". I just dont see that in dwight yet perhaps that will change as gets older and more mature. But his goofy smiley personality tells me different. No way this kid should not be averaging 30-15-3.
Then we have Lewis (who i like as a player) but is the worlds most expensive role player in NBA hsitory. That cripples our team from making moves. Then you have Hedo ... maybe it should be HeDOnt. The guy suffers from the same condition that Peja does and thats that he cant get it done in the playoffs. Maybe he has been in the playoffs twice with the Magic but this guy has a history of back peddling against better players. My guess is that since he is a euro player he will never have that attitude agaisnt marquee players to say ... "I will destroy You". And its sad too because he has the skills. 9 years in the league ... I just dont see him developing now into that killer mentality that you need.
Jameer? Guy has heart I'll give him that. But seriously ... if this is our Number 1 point guard than 2nd round is our ceiling ... Maybe just maybe ECF. But thats it. The guy is a liability over a 7 game series against better competition. In 5 games the magic had 76 assits ,,, and in 5 games the Magic had 76 turnovers ... ur just not gonna win like that.
Lastly ... lets see these guys develop some work ethic .. free throw shooting, closing out games in the regular season .. taking things seriously. You can say i am a hater and not giving these guys credit for a great season of 50 wins and making it to the 2nd round of the East COnf Playoffs ... but look who's on this team ... arent they supposed to win 50 games? Arent they supposed to reach the 2nd round? If thats the ceiling you want then continue to blow smoke up their arse ... but if you want a contender and a parade down Orange avenue than demand more.
Lastly .. Management ... i would trade Hedo now that he has some value ... put Lewis in his natural position and see if you can upgrade the point ... dont trade hedo unless you get 100% value .. if not lets hope the guy can turn into a better defender ... better ball handler who doesnt turn the ball over when it counts and can finally develop a killer instinct. A lot to ask for from a 10 year vet who already is who he is.
i agree with the jameer comment but every thing else you said was just straight up stupid.the magic have the 8th best record in the league hedo averaged 19,6,5 rashard played out of position and was told to just be a shooter this year but don't expect this type of season again becuase we have the 22nd draft pick and we could get someone like joe alexander or darrell arthur. plus we still have the midlevel exception plus valuable experience in the playoffs for dwight. but maybe your right. quick everyone get your season tickets for the timberwolves.adios. go magic!!!!!!!!!!
great season

United States

#7 May 15, 2008
You people that are hating on the magic are rediculous. Are we watching the same team.(MOre then likely not b/c of the cable companies but that is another story) Orlando made hudge strides this season. And for the comment that orlando sucks b/c they lost to detriot a bunch of old dudes, you know nothing about basketball. Most of the league lost to those bunch of old dudes, and who ever wins the Bos v Clev series will lose to those bunch old dudes.

And for the comment about us needing shooters i can tell that you never have even seen a magic game. Orlando was the highest scoring team in the east and made more 3s than any other team in the league. Nelson, Hedo, Reshard, Evans, Bogans all shot the 3 ball in the 39 to 40% range for the season. And by the way Dwight shot over 60% for most of the season. And for those who say all he can do is dunk your stupid. All he does is dunk? well he still has not been stopped not even by detriot where he averaged 18ppg. Tell me if he is so terrible and all he can do is dunk why did he average 22ppg for the season w/ 14 rpg. Not to many players average those kind of numbers b/c they suck. You are stupid to think that D12 is not great. He is the best playing center in the leage and he is only 22 years old. He should be a senior in college. Yes he needs to work on his free throws but so does/did shaq (who by the way has 4 championships). All you magic haters are stupid and did it ever occur to you that orlando had a winning recod against the west coast teams so this arguement that they would get stomped by the west is unfounded as well. By the way orlando also beat the "best team" in the season series (boston).

Dont worry tho when next season roles around there will be plenty of room on the wagon for you haters that will jump off of LA or Boston's wagon and onto ORlando's. That is the type of fan you are and everyone can see it. I have been a fan thru it all and this is by far the best season in years (12 to be exact) and that is not b/c they are a bad team. You are all stupid to think so.

“Today”

Since: Aug 07

St. Clair Shores, MI

#8 May 15, 2008
Deezworld wrote:
<quoted text>Man you're stupid!
Why is that? Stupid because I call out a person that calls the Magic a "great" team. Give it a break moron. They are very far from great. Mediocre at best.

Since: May 07

Tavares, FL

#9 May 22, 2008
ShoresBlogger wrote:
<quoted text>Why is that? Stupid because I call out a person that calls the Magic a "great" team. Give it a break moron. They are very far from great. Mediocre at best.
Mediocre is not in the playoffs. Any team that wins it's divison and wins 52 games in a season is not mediocre. Is it so hard to give this team any credit for a season that they and this city can be proud of. We have a bright future ahead of us and you haters can kiss all our a....!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adonal Foyle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Orlando Magic forward Rashard Lewis' 1-year-old... (Mar '09) Jun '09 bremerton-1 12
News Bringing Jameer Nelson back for Finals an iffy ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Blake34 30
News Magci re-sign center Adonal Foyle (Mar '09) Mar '09 Dave 15
News Magic starting point guard job now on the shoul... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Andrew 129
News Rafer Alston dons No. 1 in first Amway Arena ap... (Feb '09) Feb '09 willie 4
News Rafer Alston trade huge coup for Magic GM Smith... (Feb '09) Feb '09 coolzero 61
News Magic trade Brian Cook for Rockets' Rafer Alston (Feb '09) Feb '09 egriff txsports org 142
More from around the web