Magic starting point guard job now on the shoulders of Rafer Al...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

At the same time their incumbent all-star point guard was undergoing season-ending surgery on Thursday, the Orlando Magic were making a move to fill Jameer Nelson 's sneakers, acquiring 10-year veteran Rafer ...
Comments
101 - 120 of 129 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2009
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

So basically all I am saying here is to wait and see how things go with Alston first before you start assuming that the Magic will jump right back to being where they were before Jameer got hurt.

One thing that has to be remembered here is that Alston is only a 38 percent shooter. He also has a habit of jacking up unusual shots like Hedo does at times.
Nice Guy Otis

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Good job by Otis Smith on this move. Too bad he made the move for Lue though. If Otis could have picked up Alston and then traded Bogans for some front line help I would really be praising Otis. I guess the Lue trade is now considered a mistake.
turdstorm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

True, we shouldn't jump the gun... the way i see it, it's a big improvement over having AJ/lue at point. Hedo can't be point all the time either. So in that regard, it's a success already just from seeing what alston can do over the years. He led the rockets to a 12-6 record w/ tmac out this year (artest was out for a handful of those games too). He's a huge part of why they're 6th in west w/ all those injuries. Anyone remember the 22 game winning streak that the rockets had going? Alston was a huge part of that too (yao was out).

I have more respect for people w/ opinions seeing this as a good move than people that immediately pounce on it because of his shooting. What people don't understand is that alston did not fit the houston mcgradies. He needs to have control of the ball like a true pg in order to get the most out of him and the team. W/ t-mac handling all the time, alston had to become a spotup shooter, which he'll never be. He can rack up many assists if he facilitates the offense. I just hope the magic let him do his PG duties and take the ball out of turks hands. If turk continues to try and be a PG, alston will not reach his full potential as a magic player... just like he didn't in houston. A team of 3pt shooter surrounding big dwight howard? This is a PG's dream scenario.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

When everyone was crying about the Lue deal I had to remind everyone that the trade deadline had not passed and that Otis would probably make another deal. It's nice to be right....for once!

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
I never bashed him in the sense that you make it out to be, that's what I keep telling you. But I guess I can see where you can get that mixed up with "questioning his motives." You never heard me once say he is the worst GM in the league FIRE HIM NOW, he's a piece of ****!!! Hurry, fire him!!! For Otis to even be mentioned in the same breath as Mitch Kupchak should be looked at as complement, which I made references to weeks.
And yes, Evanís did help us last year, but then again, he isnít here. Thatís really my point. Most of his trades havenít helped us for the future w/ the exception of the last one. So what if Ariza wasnít playing that much last year, he may have this year. Itís a moot point now anyway and it doesnít matter. And yes itís not an easy job being a GM of any team. So ummm yeah... Moving on.
As for tonightís game: Magic 94, Bobcats 90. As far as J.J. he will have 12 points.
yeah yeah yeah....they all say that now...but before this trade OTIS was a jacka*ss!.
....and now....I didnt say that!
Its ok Aron...you and the rest are all forgiven!
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

turdstorm wrote:
True, we shouldn't jump the gun... the way i see it, it's a big improvement over having AJ/lue at point. Hedo can't be point all the time either. So in that regard, it's a success already just from seeing what alston can do over the years. He led the rockets to a 12-6 record w/ tmac out this year (artest was out for a handful of those games too). He's a huge part of why they're 6th in west w/ all those injuries. Anyone remember the 22 game winning streak that the rockets had going? Alston was a huge part of that too (yao was out).
I have more respect for people w/ opinions seeing this as a good move than people that immediately pounce on it because of his shooting. What people don't understand is that alston did not fit the houston mcgradies. He needs to have control of the ball like a true pg in order to get the most out of him and the team. W/ t-mac handling all the time, alston had to become a spotup shooter, which he'll never be. He can rack up many assists if he facilitates the offense. I just hope the magic let him do his PG duties and take the ball out of turks hands. If turk continues to try and be a PG, alston will not reach his full potential as a magic player... just like he didn't in houston. A team of 3pt shooter surrounding big dwight howard? This is a PG's dream scenario.
Good analysis. No question Alston has what it takes to get the job done. Let's just see how things go and how he fits in with his new team.
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Chris wrote:
When everyone was crying about the Lue deal I had to remind everyone that the trade deadline had not passed and that Otis would probably make another deal. It's nice to be right....for once!
Chris saying that Otis would "probably" make a deal is not about being right. Now if you had said that Otis will "definitely" make a deal then you would have been right.

It is like saying I will go to taco bell and have a dozen tacos and then I will "probably" be making a run for the toilet...not the border.
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

If anyone has been right around here it has been me. I said that the Magic would be a .500 team after they lost Nelson and they are 6 and 6 since he went out. On top of that they have won one lost one won one lost one, etc during this time fram which I also said they would do.

But I am never one to toot my own horn and try to draw attention to myself. It is against my religion to do so.
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

The big game is next Friday night at home against the Pistons. Detroit has been pathetic recently. They have lost 7 of their last 8 home games. Right now they are hovering around mediocrity.

If the Magic can't beat them while they are down and nearly out and in this current condition then I am afraid they will never be able to put away their nemesis.
turdstorm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

All this talk about Otis makes me happy we don't have Steve Kerr running the show. Look what he did to one of the most exciting teams in basketball.

I like Otis. I don't think he's a genius, nor do i think he's a terrible douche. I do think he's above avg, so we should be happy... meaning, it could be a hell of a lot worse. We definitely shouldn't bash him. He's made some bad decisions and we're stuck w/ Lewis' huge contract, but he's made many excellent moves too. I'm so happy we didn't give darko what he wanted, for instance. He's proven that all he can do is block a couple shots over in Memphis. He had no heart, he's a bitter player and he doesn't have much to add aside from being an inconsistent shot blocker - not worth what he was asking. Besides, he was better used as a human victory cigar. Although lewis came w/ a hefty contract he's the perfect player for this team. He's leading the league in 3's again, which is what we brought him in to do... to spread the floor for d12. W/o Lewis, the magic would only be slightly above avg. and would've struggled to reach 50 wins last season. His confidence in Nelson is what allowed us to see Nelson take off as an allstar this year. If he listened to the majority of fans saying "get rid of nelson, he's a shoot first pg," then we'd be calling him an idiot for doing so.

Also, i think the magic organization did a great job in getting SVG at the last minute. He was about to sign w/ another team and we stole him. All this after the whole Billy Donovan fiasco. It's great to be a magic fan again. I just think a lot of us are so used to bad luck and poor decisions in the past that trusting Otis has become a hard thing to do. At least trading for Alston has proven that Otis is not just thinking of 2-3 years from now. Some critics should be a little more respectful. Here's to hoping alston becomes an assist machine for the team of 3's and dunks.
turdstorm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Frank wrote:
The big game is next Friday night at home against the Pistons. Detroit has been pathetic recently. They have lost 7 of their last 8 home games. Right now they are hovering around mediocrity.
If the Magic can't beat them while they are down and nearly out and in this current condition then I am afraid they will never be able to put away their nemesis.
I'm more interested in March 8-9, back to back road games in boston and detroit. If the magic lose while trying to figure out how to play w/alston and w/o jameer, i'm fine w/ that as long as they beat detroit the next time.

If also plays pretty well, another date to circle on your calendar is April 7th... magic @ rockets :)
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Just wondering what will happen to T-Mac next season. Where will he wind up ?
Jim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Frank wrote:
If anyone has been right around here it has been me. I said that the Magic would be a .500 team after they lost Nelson and they are 6 and 6 since he went out. On top of that they have won one lost one won one lost one, etc during this time fram which I also said they would do.
But I am never one to toot my own horn and try to draw attention to myself. It is against my religion to do so.
Frank you are incorrect sir. The Magic have a record of 3 and 3 since losing Jameer Nelson.
turdstorm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Alston is playing tonight, just heard it on wdbo... "trade is complete, alston will suit up tonight"
turdstorm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

and there's a blog entry on here about it now... he's wearing number 36 for some reason.
Reaper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

O-MAGIC wrote:
<quoted text>
I beleive Magic will win this in a blowout Jim.
AJ/TyLu will come out fired up since they know their minutes are about to dim quick.
MAGIC team should be slightly rejuvenated since knowing they have a better PG and Jameer is now gone for the season after surgery complete.
See JJ keep lightning up from downtown.
AJ/JJ combined, I see 40pts and 15blk.
Yes, you heard it here first!
i doubt jj would do that sorry kid's very inconsistent. i think if alston plays he'll be very effective from the get go it will take a bit to get skip to my lou up to speed.
turdstorm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

ha, in an interview he just said, "feels like christmas in february," when asked how it feels to be traded to orlando.

he also said there's no name on the back of his temporary jersey? that will be funny to see.
turdstorm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

LOL i heard people calling frank... jim. but did jim just reply to frank? better yet, did jim just correct frank?
Jon

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Frank you are incorrect sir. The Magic have a record of 3 and 3 since losing Jameer Nelson.
Lol! Jim, youre talkin to yourself now, or your alter ego.
Jon

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

turdstorm wrote:
ha, in an interview he just said, "feels like christmas in february," when asked how it feels to be traded to orlando.
he also said there's no name on the back of his temporary jersey? that will be funny to see.
Is he playin tonight?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Adonal Foyle Discussions

Search the Adonal Foyle Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Orlando Magic forward Rashard Lewis' 1-year-old... (Mar '09) Jun '09 bremerton-1 12
Bringing Jameer Nelson back for Finals an iffy ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Blake34 30
Magci re-sign center Adonal Foyle (Mar '09) Mar '09 Dave 15
Rafer Alston dons No. 1 in first Amway Arena ap... (Feb '09) Feb '09 willie 4
Rafer Alston trade huge coup for Magic GM Smith... (Feb '09) Feb '09 coolzero 61
Magic trade Brian Cook for Rockets' Rafer Alston (Feb '09) Feb '09 egriff txsports org 142
Find out why Magic's Foyle has some big fans in... (Feb '09) Feb '09 M ONeill 21
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••