Magic starting point guard job now on...

Magic starting point guard job now on the shoulders of Rafer Al...

There are 129 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 19, 2009, titled Magic starting point guard job now on the shoulders of Rafer Al.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

At the same time their incumbent all-star point guard was undergoing season-ending surgery on Thursday, the Orlando Magic were making a move to fill Jameer Nelson 's sneakers, acquiring 10-year veteran Rafer ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#41 Feb 20, 2009
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
A little late on the first part? Dont understand. Anyways, I do understand that were not going to have much money to work with in 2010, if any at all. Which is why, if you read my post, I said if we can find a sucker to take Lew then, and only then, would we be a serious player in 2010. Trust me, I do realize that is a longshot but can't a fan dream a little? If we resign Turk, which I change my mind every time I watch him play, then we will be lucky to have a MLE (without going over luxury tax) in 2010. Resigning Turk is a tough call. Bottom line, if he wants 10 mil a year for 4 or 5 years, let him walk. If he's reasonable and wants 7-8 mil a year for 3 or 4 years, I'd say jump all over that. Tough call for Otis, though.
They can structure the contract however. For example, they could give Turk $7 mil in year one, they bump it up to $9 mil (or whatever) in year 2. My concern would be the length of the contract. He's gonna want 5 years. Otis should do no more than 3-4.
Jimmy

Orlando, FL

#42 Feb 20, 2009
O-MAGIC wrote:
<quoted text>
uh....I dont think RAFER will want to be a backup for this team.
I have a feeling he'll be gone before he becomes backup.
After Jameer gets to 100% healthy, watch for RAFER to be shopped because there will be many takers for a good PF..etc...
I disagree. He'll be 33 by next year. The only starting job he could land would be for a marginal team. I would rather be a backup on a winning team than a starter on a bottom feeder.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#43 Feb 20, 2009
Year 2 meaning....we'll be under the cap by then when Alston, Battie, AJ, etc. all come off the books.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando.htm

I wonder how hard we will try to keep Gortat. Boy can play!

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#44 Feb 20, 2009
""" I think it's going to be a smooth transition for Alston and the Magic. He is a better defender than Nelson. He's proven he can play with stars like he did in Houston with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming the past several seasons. He's proven he can run a club, and he's a 3-point shooter, granted an erratic one. He can get hot, though and, let's face it, that's how Orlando plays.

I love the move. Nelson is a little bit better but, with Alston, you're not losing as much at that position as much as you might think. """

This is very well put....Erratic but......exactly!!

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#45 Feb 20, 2009
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. He'll be 33 by next year. The only starting job he could land would be for a marginal team. I would rather be a backup on a winning team than a starter on a bottom feeder.
And now I agree with the age analogy...:-)
Hopefully he understands by that time that he aint "skip to my lou" any more and he can take a back seat.
If he does, simply grand for us.
If not he'll bounce or bounced off.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#46 Feb 20, 2009
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
A little late on the first part? Dont understand. Anyways, I do understand that were not going to have much money to work with in 2010, if any at all. Which is why, if you read my post, I said if we can find a sucker to take Lew then, and only then, would we be a serious player in 2010. Trust me, I do realize that is a longshot but can't a fan dream a little? If we resign Turk, which I change my mind every time I watch him play, then we will be lucky to have a MLE (without going over luxury tax) in 2010. Resigning Turk is a tough call. Bottom line, if he wants 10 mil a year for 4 or 5 years, let him walk. If he's reasonable and wants 7-8 mil a year for 3 or 4 years, I'd say jump all over that. Tough call for Otis, though.
What I meant by the "first part" is that we covered that about 5 times over, I guess you didn't read those post though. No big deal.

On the other part, I 100% agree with you. I just hope we don't lose him for nothing, but hell if we do maybe we could sign a decent bruiser PF that we have talked about it. It's defiantly going to be a tough call all around the board.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#47 Feb 20, 2009
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. He'll be 33 by next year. The only starting job he could land would be for a marginal team. I would rather be a backup on a winning team than a starter on a bottom feeder.
We agree!! LOL...

But time will tell. I just hope he does want to play for a title contender and choose to stay with us and not want to b!tch about being the starting PG. It will be a nightmare next year with JAM/Rafer.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#48 Feb 20, 2009
I heard his contract for next year is only guaranteed at 2.5 mil. Thats a good price for a player like that, but if he helps us do anything this year he will want more money for sure.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#49 Feb 20, 2009
Also saw we passed up a similar deal to get Tinsley from Indiana. Of course, he hasnt played all year and is due alot more money, so I think Otis made the right move.

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#50 Feb 20, 2009
Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
What I meant by the "first part" is that we covered that about 5 times over, I guess you didn't read those post though. No big deal.
On the other part, I 100% agree with you. I just hope we don't lose him for nothing, but hell if we do maybe we could sign a decent bruiser PF that we have talked about it. It's defiantly going to be a tough call all around the board.
Aron,
As far as GM duties goes, right about now...i mean before RAFER trade.....I have no problems with OTIS running this team the way he is.
Even if we lose HEDO for nothing in return.
I know for sure that he is doing all he can to make sure we are golden.
I mean we can sit here talk all kinda crap about what OTIS should do.
We keep forgetting it takes 2 teams to make it happen.
Everybody wants Boozer/Magette..etc for HEDO...
What if the other team did not that or asking much more for him??
Whatever happens, happens...
but I knwo for sure that OTIS will not let this HEDO thing go by without giving his all.
He let Darko go...Dooling go...Evans go....we are all compaining...Were they all worth giving what they were asking?
Let OTIS do his thing....
He proved it again, ohh and before RAFER, he also spoke to indiana about Tinsley.
Did anybody know about that?? NOPE.
Do you like your GM now?
We need to chill and worry about what we have on the floor...
GM duties?? I'm confident in OTIS.
Ok...I feel much better now...:-)
Houstonian

League City, TX

#51 Feb 20, 2009
I'm glad that Orlando has high hope for Alston but bear in mind he is a 35% career shooter that was the third leading shot taker on the rockets... good luck to the Magic and good riddance to Skip
LMAO

AOL

#52 Feb 20, 2009
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
Always raining on our parade.
If we had gotten Kyle Lowrey, you would have pointed out his stats and said we should have gotten Alston.
;-)
Nah. I like Lowery and I believe he is an up & comer.
I dont dislike Rafer...just that Otis now has the oldest batch of journeyman PG's ever assembled.

I wish all you JJ fans would quit buying tickets! Maybe then Otis will trade the guy so he can go out and be the great player he can be.
Hmmm, Be all you can be.
:)
LMAO

AOL

#53 Feb 20, 2009
O-Magic... get off the kool aid, ok.
;)
Aron

Orlando, FL

#54 Feb 20, 2009
O-MAGIC wrote:
<quoted text>
Aron,
As far as GM duties goes, right about now...i mean before RAFER trade.....I have no problems with OTIS running this team the way he is.
Even if we lose HEDO for nothing in return.
I know for sure that he is doing all he can to make sure we are golden.
I mean we can sit here talk all kinda crap about what OTIS should do.
We keep forgetting it takes 2 teams to make it happen.
Everybody wants Boozer/Magette..etc for HEDO...
What if the other team did not that or asking much more for him??
Whatever happens, happens...
but I knwo for sure that OTIS will not let this HEDO thing go by without giving his all.
He let Darko go...Dooling go...Evans go....we are all compaining...Were they all worth giving what they were asking?
Let OTIS do his thing....
He proved it again, ohh and before RAFER, he also spoke to indiana about Tinsley.
Did anybody know about that?? NOPE.
Do you like your GM now?
We need to chill and worry about what we have on the floor...
GM duties?? I'm confident in OTIS.
Ok...I feel much better now...:-)
We all have covered the fact that none of us are the REAL GM and facilitate the phone calls he gets for trades/deals, but nor will any of us ever be. Hence why places like this exist, for us the Fans. A place where we can contemplate what could have been done, should have been done and what can/can’t be done in the future.

Trust me, Otis looks like a genius today, but if he didn't make the move he made yesterday would anyone around the league take us seriously; other teams, GM's, commentators, even Magic fans? We are one of the best teams in the NBA this year and the fact is if Otis didn't make a move, we would have been throwing away this great season.

I didn't care for any of the players you mentioned: Darko, Evans, or even Hedo (I've stated how I feel about the guy many times); however, I did like Dooling but we all knew we couldn't give him the money he DESERVED.

And as for Otis having to prove stuff... Well it is his job to make this team a champion and with Dwight Howard being the center piece he is going to be under the microscope forever/until his time here end. He is going to be looked at for what he can/can't put around Dwight in the hopes of getting a title for us. That is in fact the only goal of this team. We tried in the mid 90's and that GM screwed us then.

As a Magic fan I don't want to see another wasted opportunity and have to wait another 10 years for something great. So to me talking about what can/can't happen is health for fans alike.
Susieq72

United States

#55 Feb 20, 2009
Houstonian-And what did Houston get? Nothing. And on top of that a "Star" that is injured constantly. Houston will never get anywhere with Mcgrady. Ahh I remember how all the Rockets fans were so happy to get tmac, betcha your not so happy now that you are stuck with a broken player that can't get out of the first round and is so broken no other team will want him.

“Orlando Magic........... ......”

Since: Jul 07

Magic land

#56 Feb 20, 2009
O-MAGIC wrote:
<quoted text>
uh....I dont think RAFER will want to be a backup for this team.
I have a feeling he'll be gone before he becomes backup.
After Jameer gets to 100% healthy, watch for RAFER to be shopped because there will be many takers for a good PF..etc...
Lets worry about that 2 years from now!

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#57 Feb 20, 2009
Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have covered the fact that none of us are the REAL GM and facilitate the phone calls he gets for trades/deals, but nor will any of us ever be. Hence why places like this exist, for us the Fans. A place where we can contemplate what could have been done, should have been done and what can/can’t be done in the future.
Trust me, Otis looks like a genius today, but if he didn't make the move he made yesterday would anyone around the league take us seriously; other teams, GM's, commentators, even Magic fans? We are one of the best teams in the NBA this year and the fact is if Otis didn't make a move, we would have been throwing away this great season.
I didn't care for any of the players you mentioned: Darko, Evans, or even Hedo (I've stated how I feel about the guy many times); however, I did like Dooling but we all knew we couldn't give him the money he DESERVED.
And as for Otis having to prove stuff... Well it is his job to make this team a champion and with Dwight Howard being the center piece he is going to be under the microscope forever/until his time here end. He is going to be looked at for what he can/can't put around Dwight in the hopes of getting a title for us. That is in fact the only goal of this team. We tried in the mid 90's and that GM screwed us then.
As a Magic fan I don't want to see another wasted opportunity and have to wait another 10 years for something great. So to me talking about what can/can't happen is health for fans alike.
My point is we are always crying about deals and talking crap about OTIS of not making a deal.
In the background he is doing all he can.
Most of us were talking crap, just because OTIS' name was not on rumor mill anywhere and BOOM!!
Not only his name comes up but he makes it happen.

You need to understand, he is not a genius in making this deal either way. He is a great GM for now.
Its not only about making deals but also to know when NOT to make one.
Even before Rafer deal bashing OTIS was just wrong.
If there was a rumor out there about Utah wants Hedo for Boozer and OTIS not making it happen...then ONLY you could bash him.

Everybody was simply talking BS that he is sitting on his A*ss and not doing anything.
Well...was he???
Thats my point.
Just admit that you were wrong for bashing him and we can move ON. lol
;-)

You can bash OTIS if there was a rumor about

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#58 Feb 20, 2009
Holy Crap!!

""Amare Out 8 Weeks""
The Suns announced Friday that Amare Stoudemire had eye surgery to repair a partially detached retina suffered Wednesday. He could miss the rest of the regular season,

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#59 Feb 20, 2009
Roberthenry wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets worry about that 2 years from now!
I concur!!
lol

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#60 Feb 20, 2009
Houstonian wrote:
I'm glad that Orlando has high hope for Alston but bear in mind he is a 35% career shooter that was the third leading shot taker on the rockets... good luck to the Magic and good riddance to Skip
Houstonian,
You gotta admit...Rafer has been huge for the rockets during this Tmac drama....
He gave you the scoring punch, floor general and good defence.
You cannot deny that!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adonal Foyle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Orlando Magic forward Rashard Lewis' 1-year-old... (Mar '09) Jun '09 bremerton-1 12
News Bringing Jameer Nelson back for Finals an iffy ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Blake34 30
News Magci re-sign center Adonal Foyle (Mar '09) Mar '09 Dave 15
News Rafer Alston dons No. 1 in first Amway Arena ap... (Feb '09) Feb '09 willie 4
News Rafer Alston trade huge coup for Magic GM Smith... (Feb '09) Feb '09 coolzero 61
News Magic trade Brian Cook for Rockets' Rafer Alston (Feb '09) Feb '09 egriff txsports org 142
News Find out why Magic's Foyle has some big fans in... (Feb '09) Feb '09 M ONeill 21
More from around the web