NBA says Magic basket came late

Stu Jackson, NBA executive vice-president of basketball operations, said Saturday that officials at the Magic/Rockets game Friday night made the right call when they disallowed a last-second tip-in by center ... Full Story

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 6, 2008
This article borders on the pointless -'NBA backs referees decision' shocker. Is anyone surprised? Unless the video was 110% indefensible, there was never any way that Jackson was going to do anything different.

It's the same in every sport - if there is even one minuscule chance that the ref was right, then the league in question will back them, ignoring the fact that pretty much all the evidence swings the other way, and in this case ignoring that the officials were atrocious from tip-off to buzzer on Friday, not just on that final play.
Dale

Terra Ceia, FL

#2 Jan 6, 2008
That's two games in a row the Magic have been cheated out of by the refs at the end of the game. Wed vs. the Nets, when the refs gave Vince Carter 2 fts on a questionable call to put the Nets up one with 25 seconds left, but swallowed their whistles on the other end when Turk was fouled TWICE.
Then on Fri vs the Rockets, Foyle tips it in, it should have gone to OT, but the refs were lazy and didn't want to work the overtime, so they didn't count the basket, even though the replay showed it was good.
So much for home-court advantage. Not in Orlando, where the refs get an evil pleasure out of making the home fans go home disappointed. Somehow the league has got to figure out a way to penalize referees that cheat, cut their pay in half or suspend them. Its just ridiculous some of the calls these refs make, and some of the obvious ones they miss.
Norbert

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#3 Jan 6, 2008
I saw the game live, and I have seen the replay several times. The basket should have counted, and the game should have gone to overtime. Even if the referees were not sure, that is not a way to end a game. At least we cannot say that the Magic games are boring.
O-Town-Tom

Deland, FL

#5 Jan 6, 2008
I am sooooooooo glad I quit buying tickets to this nonsense. I still watch on TV, but I quit buying tickets back when we were screwed by the officials in a game with Phoenix last year. Phoenix doesn't need any help.
If the NBA would have said that the ref's got it wrong, what would have been the result? Just another "Sorry we'll try to do better." I can't think of a game ending ever being played at a later date???
Martin

Kissimmee, FL

#6 Jan 6, 2008
It wasn't officiating's finest moment. They never made a call one way or the other at the time of the basket. Their job is to make decisions, and none of them had the conviction to make one. Either way would have been fine, it is the closest play you will ever see, and even at the slowest motion replay you could not tell if the ball had left his fingers in time. But they still must make a call and they didn't. It was unprofessional.
Manson

Winter Garden, FL

#7 Jan 6, 2008
Dale wrote:
That's two games in a row the Magic have been cheated out of by the refs at the end of the game.
No - Thats two games in a row the Tragic put themselves in a bad spot at the end of a game.

As they say, if your good calls like that don't matter.
Bud says

AOL

#8 Jan 6, 2008
The tip-in was good. Period!
Mitchell's post says it all.
Time for my nap as I am wayyyy bored with the NBA... and dont forget my HIGHLY Intelligent Duke Blue Devils are on TV today and get to blow out those Smart A** Cornell guys (grin.)
big vern

Summerfield, FL

#9 Jan 6, 2008
wow, like their boss is not going to back them up after the fact. not that the magic should be in that scenario but what is the point and that point. stu is not going to say or do anything different no back bone.
Disappointed

Bellevue, NE

#10 Jan 6, 2008
Yeah got to love that Stu Jackson is just as blind as the crappy refs he imploys. ESPN and almost every other news agency (outside of Houston and even half of them) said that the basket was clearly in before the red light came on. But ofcourse when the NBA rigs games like wrestling they will back the refs.

Stu Jackson thinks that by backing his refs on this call he is quashing fans from thinking that refs are still on the take like with Donaghy. But all he's really doing is making fans think that the NBA is rigged even before you take in refs betting on the games.

Stu Jackson and David Stern need to go if they are this blind to refs cheating teams then they really need to be replaced. Even if they rule in Orlando's favor they still lose the game but at least each ref should have been fined $5000 each for the bogus call. Fans wont trust the NBA until refs get held accountable for determining games.

The NBA where refs and Stern decide games not players.
Tim Donaghy Ex NBA ref

United States

#11 Jan 6, 2008
Glad I had my money on the Rockets Friday night.
sereno

Winter Garden, FL

#12 Jan 6, 2008
in every 4th quarter of close games the magic are getting one shot at the basket and if Howard doesn't get the rebound (against 4 big players) that is it while in the other end they sometimes get multiple shots. How many tip ins and rebounds will Foyle get if he is in with Howard? We will never know.....
kid

Saint Cloud, FL

#13 Jan 6, 2008
The referee that made this call was going to loose big on his bet !!LOL!!
Magic Fan

Clearwater, FL

#14 Jan 6, 2008
We're missing the point, as fun as this is. The Magic should not have been fighting for OT points on their home court. They should know by now, especially with the unfriendly officiating we get, that they can absolutely not afford dead-heat endings. They need to finish teams off earlier so this ref-thing is not an option.

Don't leave the finish up to the refs. They don't seem to like us. Just beat the other team and don't give these refs the option to intervene.

This was a low-scoring game for us, after all. If we'd had our 100+ points we usually get, we would have won.
mike2315

New York, NY

#15 Jan 7, 2008
Dale wrote:
That's two games in a row the Magic have been cheated out of by the refs at the end of the game. Wed vs. the Nets, when the refs gave Vince Carter 2 fts on a questionable call to put the Nets up one with 25 seconds left, but swallowed their whistles on the other end when Turk was fouled TWICE.
Then on Fri vs the Rockets, Foyle tips it in, it should have gone to OT, but the refs were lazy and didn't want to work the overtime, so they didn't count the basket, even though the replay showed it was good.
So much for home-court advantage. Not in Orlando, where the refs get an evil pleasure out of making the home fans go home disappointed. Somehow the league has got to figure out a way to penalize referees that cheat, cut their pay in half or suspend them. Its just ridiculous some of the calls these refs make, and some of the obvious ones they miss.
I totally agree, it has gotten really bad. NBA officials are by far the worst of all officials in any sport.
big vern

Summerfield, FL

#16 Jan 7, 2008
david stern sucks stu jackson why is he in the front office, he failed with the raptors, so where do all failures go to the nba front office, what does that tell you about the league. a bunch of overpaid losers. shouldn't isiah thomas work for them as well another loser. bush league is what they are...no wonder their sports keeps going down.
big vern

Summerfield, FL

#17 Jan 7, 2008
hey stu jackson go back to your bad coaching duties...there is a reason why you are not a coach anymore and you are still coming thru with flying colors....recycled loser....hope you have to beg on the unemployment line some day..idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adonal Foyle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Orlando Magic forward Rashard Lewis' 1-year-old... (Mar '09) Jun '09 bremerton-1 12
Bringing Jameer Nelson back for Finals an iffy ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Blake34 30
Magci re-sign center Adonal Foyle (Mar '09) Mar '09 Dave 15
Magic starting point guard job now on the shoul... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Andrew 129
Rafer Alston dons No. 1 in first Amway Arena ap... (Feb '09) Feb '09 willie 4
Rafer Alston trade huge coup for Magic GM Smith... (Feb '09) Feb '09 coolzero 61
Magic trade Brian Cook for Rockets' Rafer Alston (Feb '09) Feb '09 egriff txsports org 142

Adonal Foyle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE