Skiles pays for Bulls players failings

Skiles pays for Bulls players failings

There are 10 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 24, 2007, titled Skiles pays for Bulls players failings. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The headline on the Bulls' Web site read: "Skiles relieved as Bulls Head Coach." It should have read: "Skiles relieved to be former Bulls Head Coach." Now he won't have to deal with fragile players who dissolve ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Barry Newman

Portland, OR

#1 Dec 24, 2007
As a long time season ticket holder and fan of these baby bull for the past few years, it has been an often painful thing to watch the growing pains. However the arrival of Scott Skiles was like a torrent of fresh air. Old-time maybe, but he help the players accountable and they played their hearts out. They became the most fun team to watch especially after they started to gel. This season has become worse than a disappointment. I was at the game Saturday after flying back in from out of town to watch it. I left with 6 minutes left on the clock angry and frustrated. I didn't boo them, because that is not helpful. However what was on the court was disgusting. The bulls played no defense, there was no rebounding. They occasionally moved off the ball on offense, but overall they lacked focus, energy and the intensity that has characterized them over the last few years. Ben Wallace, a major veteran, looked more lost than Eddie Curry the second year loser. Ultimately, I guess the responsibility does come back to the coach, but you are exactly right- this is a team that has just plain given up, and unfortunately I can't see any trades happening, because who would take any of these guys now?
Ken

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Dec 25, 2007
Well, WELL written. It's disappointing to see, after all of the good feelings after the past three seasons, everything go sour like this. It's unfortunate that professional basketball players don't have enough guts, maturity, and toughness to handle one of the best fundamental coaches in the NBA, if not the best. I hope guys like Ben Wallace are happy now. If he and Art Tellum did indeed meet with Paxson and basically begin the end of Skiles, then Wallace, without a doubt, was one of the biggest free agent mistakes the Bulls have made in years. Wallace has made an impact in only a handful of games in a season and a half, and has been nothing but a distraction, and a huge baby to top it off. As for Skiles, imagine what he could do with young, athletic talent in Atlanta, or what impact he might make in a rebuilding situation in Miami with an overwhelming, mature pro like Dwayne Wade. Good luck, Scott, and when your next team rolls the Bulls out of the playoffs next season or the year after, it won't sting as much.
Patrick

Boca Raton, FL

#3 Dec 25, 2007
Paxson will regret this firing very soon for one reason...that now all the blame will justifiably fall on him. Pax needs to be exposed for the little fraud that he is.

What GM would scream to the league that my best low-post scorer is damaged goods and if he doesn't agree to a DNA test then he's gone?

What GM trades away Tyson Chandler for an expiring contract so he can sign an aging, incapable-of-scoring, can't be on the floor in 4th qtr malcontent?

What GM drafts an athletic tweener pf when the polished low-post scorer you've been waiting for is in you hands?

What GM builds a team around under-sized shooting guards that have limited defensive capabilities?

What GM has no guts and is paid to objectively evaluate his talent; not fall in love with his little engine that could philosophy?

Most importantly...what GM saw his team blown off the floor against Detroit in the playoffs and did nothing to improve in the off-season when so many options were available?

Paxson is simply the worst GM in the NBA outside of McHale and Thomas.
Marc

United States

#4 Dec 25, 2007
Couldn't agree more...Paxson has been a major failure as a GM, and since he's a wimp and a weasel, he wants to hide behind the firing of Skiles...what a bug man you are Paxson...Joe Smith? Joakim Noah? Tyrus Thomas? Wow, even my grandma knows those moves are pathetic, just like the job Paxson has done...PATHETIC! And please don't say rotations this and rotations that...players like Sefolosha (who can't shoot a basketball) And Ben Wallace shouldn't even be on this team...To anyone who thinks playing Aaron Gray and Thabo S. more would make this team better has drank too much spiked egg nogg...this is a crappy team put together by an even crappier GM name Paxson...enough said...
Mike in NC

Mount Olive, NC

#5 Dec 25, 2007
These players are a disgrace. They lack any pride, honor, courage.....there isn't a shred of anything heroic inside any of them...this whole situation is a perfect example of what's wrong with pro sports, especially the NBA
Krause

Tampa, FL

#6 Dec 25, 2007
Holy Sefolosha Batman! Paxson should try and coach the mess he put together. What do you expect from a former gaurd? He doesn't know low post from a goal post...Skiles is better off..
Toporek in Warren IN

Liberty Center, IN

#7 Dec 25, 2007
I have been reading the comments posted the last two days and it's nice to see that Chicago fans haven't lost their toughness and love for a tough coach. Skiles was the epitamy of class in a sport heading south since the debacle in Vegas last year. Go Hawks!!!!!
Tom Thuresson

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#8 Dec 25, 2007
It is difficult for me to believe that a decision as serious as this could be made so early in the season based on the result of so few games. The progress and emergence of this team has been steady, so to give up the ship based on a blimp on the road or even a leveling off seems like a serious overreachtion. This has to be something else, perhaps personal behind Scott Skile's firing. Do they really think the team is going to turn around this season and play better without him, without any particular replacement in mind?
Edward

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 25, 2007
I agree todays players are fragile, you cant yell at them their feelings will be hurt, you cant mention them in a trade they will pout , i long for the days of Norm Van Lier, and Jerry Sloan, when players were physically, and mentally tough not like todays crybabys.
Brad

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 25, 2007
Dead on....sissy whiny baby millionaires....reminds me of how a certain north side baseball team plays many of its games...always excuses..always way off base of the real problem....these rich whiny babies need to learn how to play like a team and take the heat when they do not, otherwise start trading them and let's start over again, maybe this time with BJ making the personnel decisions....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aaron Gray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA Trade Rumors: Toronto Raptors trade Andrea ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 fabesballin 2
News Chairman of the boards? For Bulls, it's Noah (Dec '09) Dec '09 BullsFan-1 1
News Chicago Bulls Roster Shaping Up (Aug '09) Aug '09 Webkinz49 1
News Chicago Bulls bring back Jannero Pargo (Jul '09) Jul '09 Nada Surf 112
News Centers of attention (Jun '09) Jun '09 Mgray 1
News Derrick Rose nervous about first Bulls training... (Sep '08) Jun '09 Bee Atsat 10
News Luke Harangody likes his fit with Chicago Bulls (Jun '09) Jun '09 Nada Surf 31