Bulls fall to Mavs in exhibition opener

An announced crowd of 16,440 visited the United Center on Thursday night to see the Bulls debuts of No. Read more
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#21 Oct 10, 2008
Mike wrote:
Beasley had 21 points, 7 rebounds, and half of Rose's total turnovers for the Heat yesterday. The Bulls could have used those points.
Just absolutely sickening. Beasley is going to do that game in and game out and both those numbers are only going to improve. He really is going to be a 25 and 10+ guy as some of us said before the draft. Sorry to say, but most of the fans deserve exactly what they asked for. Maybe next time they will not be so stupid to draft a kid number 1 just because he is from Chicago. I seriously believe there would not have been serious consideration of picking him had he not been home grown, which is just so stupid it makes me sick.
middleclass

Ellicott City, MD

#22 Oct 10, 2008
Rose played better than Kirk Hinrich; that should have been the Headline.
Mark N

AOL

#23 Oct 10, 2008
People dissing on Rose is unworthy of Chicago, and you should get a life. He's a classy kid, and led his team to an NCAA championship as a Freshman minus one untaken timeout and foul. Derrick does have the playmaking abilities and his assist to turnover ratio in the tournament was insane 4 to 1, 5 to 1, 6 to 1 etc. The problem is not going to be Rose. It's going to be other guys who are not bona fide scorers who can go to the rack. Deng is mostly a jump shooter. He's not an explosive leaper, and that hurts his interior defense as well as exhibited by Brandon Bass' monster drive and jam over he and the rest of the Bull's team. Hinrich does have the ability to initially drive by many guards, but then his inability(so far) to hit the stop and pop mid range jumpers like all the other good guards means ineffectiveness. Tyrus had an easy opportunity to head to the basket for a dish and dunk from Rose off Rose's sick fake that broke down the defense, but instead Thomas cluelessly just stood there unknowing what to do, and settled for a long range clanker instead. I think Tyrus deserves a whole lot of minutes this year to give him a fair chance to see if he can finally develop, but all signs to me point to the fact that he is just not a natural scorer. We'll see this season though, maybe he'll prove everybody wrong. The worst news is that Chris Douglas-Roberts scored 18 pts to go along with 6 boards and three big steals in a win against the Miami Heat(much of it against there starters). Paxson's infatuation with European mystique just mystified the Bulls out of three sceond round draft picks, and a steal of CDR who's going to be a scorer and active player in this league. You don't ever draft for need, you draft for talent. Come on pax, CDR passed up for a inflexible/hand tieing three way deal for a lanky "not overly athletic" 50% free throw shooting center from Turkey! Vinny Del Negro better be a good coach by Jan/Feb, or your butt is gone. Either way, you are not a good apprasier of talent or negotiater which reinsdorf had to take over with Deng. So just what is it you do again?
Rob

Garibaldi, Canada

#24 Oct 10, 2008
Rose = Bust. Go Sox.
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#25 Oct 10, 2008
" I don't want to say he's a project" Yikes !!! When a guy who's never even coached a day in his life, would even float a comment like that out there, that isn't a good sign. To Rose's credit though, he's correct about having started out slowly, then coming on strongly by seasons end, last season. Obviously, the pro game is far more difficult than the collegiate game, so we'll see. Memphis played some quality competition at times last year, but that conference they were in, was as weak as it gets. The Bulls made their choice, so they have who they have, but Paxson can darn sure bet the scrutiny will be on, on whether he made the right pick or not. Sometimes, having that first pick isn't what it's cracked up to be, especially when there's no clear cut decision to be made. The team picking first certainly puts themselves open for scrutiny.
Eric

Garibaldi, Canada

#26 Oct 10, 2008
WHY WHY WHY DID THE BULLS NOT TAKE MICHAEL BEASTLEY!?!?
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#27 Oct 10, 2008
Mark N wrote:
People dissing on Rose is unworthy of Chicago, and you should get a life. He's a classy kid, and led his team to an NCAA championship as a Freshman minus one untaken timeout and foul. Derrick does have the playmaking abilities and his assist to turnover ratio in the tournament was insane 4 to 1, 5 to 1, 6 to 1 etc. The problem is not going to be Rose. It's going to be other guys who are not bona fide scorers who can go to the rack. Deng is mostly a jump shooter. He's not an explosive leaper, and that hurts his interior defense as well as exhibited by Brandon Bass' monster drive and jam over he and the rest of the Bull's team. Hinrich does have the ability to initially drive by many guards, but then his inability(so far) to hit the stop and pop mid range jumpers like all the other good guards means ineffectiveness. Tyrus had an easy opportunity to head to the basket for a dish and dunk from Rose off Rose's sick fake that broke down the defense, but instead Thomas cluelessly just stood there unknowing what to do, and settled for a long range clanker instead. I think Tyrus deserves a whole lot of minutes this year to give him a fair chance to see if he can finally develop, but all signs to me point to the fact that he is just not a natural scorer. We'll see this season though, maybe he'll prove everybody wrong. The worst news is that Chris Douglas-Roberts scored 18 pts to go along with 6 boards and three big steals in a win against the Miami Heat(much of it against there starters). Paxson's infatuation with European mystique just mystified the Bulls out of three sceond round draft picks, and a steal of CDR who's going to be a scorer and active player in this league. You don't ever draft for need, you draft for talent. Come on pax, CDR passed up for a inflexible/hand tieing three way deal for a lanky "not overly athletic" 50% free throw shooting center from Turkey! Vinny Del Negro better be a good coach by Jan/Feb, or your butt is gone. Either way, you are not a good apprasier of talent or negotiater which reinsdorf had to take over with Deng. So just what is it you do again?
Rose might have some good qualities., but he is no Beasley. He was not in college and will not be in the nba. I don't care how nice he is, how much of a so called leader he is, how if certain things would not have happened they would not have choked in the championship game. I don't care about that. The guy was not even close to the player Beasley was in college. In fact, no one was. Also, say all you want to say about Rose, but I think most of us know if he was from any place but Chicago, he is in Miami and we have Beasley.

Trust me, you might be able to say all these things now and have some form of credibility, but by the end of the year when you look at Rose's numbers and Beasley's they are not even going to be close. Then, I wonder what nonsense you will say.
BJr

Chicago, IL

#29 Oct 10, 2008
Some of you people that post on these sites are absolutely clueless.

Beginning of the baseball season, Ken Williams and Jerry R were idiots for so many reasons according to the overwhelming majority of posters, and low and behold they managed to win the Division.

The Bears and Jerry Angelo were criticized out the a$$ for not drafting Mendenhall and for drafting Forte. Not because Forte wasn't good enough, but because, most of the characters on these forums who call themselves fans, can only comment based on the small knowledge of local teams that they watch.

Any true basketball fan can tell you without reason that Derrick Rose is the truest form of what a point guard is. Beasley will probably be a good player in the league but since he's smoking pot/hanging out with others who do, he's an issue waiting to happen. Kind of like Carmelo Anthony, great talent but can't stay out of trouble and doesn't necessarily make his teammates better.

Was drafting Rose risky? Maybe a little, but overall it's a good gamble to make.

The verdict is still out as this was just his 1st pre-season game, so give him a chance.

Beasley put up 21 and 7 but couldn't hit a free throw to tie the game; does that mean he's going to be a choker?
acw

Chicago, IL

#30 Oct 10, 2008
also, when are some of you people going to realize that it isn't about this year. We are tryin' to build a solid nucleus and develop talent for the future. Rose will develop into a top-3 point guard as I said before. I believe that Tyrus will have a coming out party this year. Deng is what he has been the last three years (a solid compliment to a super-star)you need guys like him to win. Noah will be one of the more serviceable centers in the league strictly on effort alone. With minutes he is a double-double easily. Thats all I need out of him on a nightly basis (he will never be dwight, amare, or oden). Now for the real reason. We are clearing cap space for 2010. This is when guys like Wade and Lebron become free agents. You can bet those two guards would love to be paired with Rose and that nucleus. By that time you won't have guys like Hinrich (getting traded at some point), Gordon (wants too much money), Gooden (free agent this year), and Hughes (never in the long-term picture, just a nice 18-20 million comin' off the books in 2010). We are playin for 2010, so lets just relax and watch the kids grow into players.
CO Bulls Fan

United States

#31 Oct 10, 2008
All the negative comments are crazy. D Rose can get to the hoop whenever he wants. He's still figuring some stuff out, but he is explosive. Plus, it looks like he is gonna make Deng better. The Bulls will be so much better this year. Now the key is whether they can turn the guard logjam into some value and pick up a quality inside scorer.
Damani

Schaumburg, IL

#32 Oct 10, 2008
Joe C wrote:
I don't understand why they drafted him. Who cares if he's from Chicago. The had the number 1 pick, and they decided to NOT draft the best player in the country, and instead decided to draft the person who wasn't even the best player on his college team. That guy was Chris Douglas Roberts who was available in the second round of the draft. They could have had Beasley AND CDR. Is this a joke? He's not a point guard, he's really an undersized 2-guard with hops. He was the NUMBER 1 PICK IN THE DRAFT and he's not even as good as Steve Francis was in his rookie year. And now all the people who were saying that they had to take Rose, I'm looking at you Silvy and Dave Kaplan, are going to say "Gee, why didn't we take the sure thing in Micahel Beasley, He only average 28 points as a freshman in college!"
I've said it before and I'll say it again, YOU CANNOT WIN WITH SMALL SHOOTING GUARDS. That's it. Show me one. and if you say Isiah Thomas, you're wrong because he wasn't just a shooting guard he was a true playmaker. Derrick Rose is not Chris Paul, he's not Deron Williams. He seems like a nice person, but he's not Beasley. There's no excuse on this one.
The only part of your post I can agree with is why draft Rose. BUT FOR A DIFFERENT REASON!! If the Bulls management is so obsessed with Kirk Hinrich then it made no sense to take Rose. Hinrich is not a starting NBA shooting guard by any means. Whether people like it or not Kirk is a decent point guard. Rose is definetly a upgrade at the position but to start Hinrich next to him while trying to find minutes for guys like Hughes, and Gordon who can give you 17 to 25pts a game makes no sense. I was very excited draft night when the Bulls took Rose but if they have no intentions on benching or trading Kirk Hinrich then they should have taken Beasley!!!
terry

Bar Mills, ME

#33 Oct 10, 2008
1st exhibition game in his first season and he doesn't play too well

I'm SHOCKED!
Cyberist

Stamford, CT

#35 Oct 10, 2008
BJr wrote:
Some of you people that post on these sites are absolutely clueless.
Beginning of the baseball season, Ken Williams and Jerry R were idiots for so many reasons according to the overwhelming majority of posters, and low and behold they managed to win the Division.
The Bears and Jerry Angelo were criticized out the **** for not drafting Mendenhall and for drafting Forte. Not because Forte wasn't good enough, but because, most of the characters on these forums who call themselves fans, can only comment based on the small knowledge of local teams that they watch.
Any true basketball fan can tell you without reason that Derrick Rose is the truest form of what a point guard is. Beasley will probably be a good player in the league but since he's smoking pot/hanging out with others who do, he's an issue waiting to happen. Kind of like Carmelo Anthony, great talent but can't stay out of trouble and doesn't necessarily make his teammates better.
Was drafting Rose risky? Maybe a little, but overall it's a good gamble to make.
The verdict is still out as this was just his 1st pre-season game, so give him a chance.
Beasley put up 21 and 7 but couldn't hit a free throw to tie the game; does that mean he's going to be a choker?
Exactly.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#36 Oct 10, 2008
BJr wrote:
Some of you people that post on these sites are absolutely clueless.
Beginning of the baseball season, Ken Williams and Jerry R were idiots for so many reasons according to the overwhelming majority of posters, and low and behold they managed to win the Division.
The Bears and Jerry Angelo were criticized out the **** for not drafting Mendenhall and for drafting Forte. Not because Forte wasn't good enough, but because, most of the characters on these forums who call themselves fans, can only comment based on the small knowledge of local teams that they watch.
Any true basketball fan can tell you without reason that Derrick Rose is the truest form of what a point guard is. Beasley will probably be a good player in the league but since he's smoking pot/hanging out with others who do, he's an issue waiting to happen. Kind of like Carmelo Anthony, great talent but can't stay out of trouble and doesn't necessarily make his teammates better.
Was drafting Rose risky? Maybe a little, but overall it's a good gamble to make.
The verdict is still out as this was just his 1st pre-season game, so give him a chance.
Beasley put up 21 and 7 but couldn't hit a free throw to tie the game; does that mean he's going to be a choker?
Look, Rose may pan out, he may not. I can tell you, however, that I am pretty sure Beasley is going to be a 20+ 10+ guy for many years to come. I am just as sure now as I was when the draft was held. Do 20+, 10+ guys come out of the draft every year or something? No, they don't. So you take some kid that may someday possibly be as valuable as Beasley, after years of development, but you don't know. So why pass a surer thing up for something that may or may not ever be.

You say look at Rose's supporting cast, well, exactly. A good point guard needs a team around him. Beasley doesn't need that to post his numbers and he gives you a go to scorer and someone teams have to game plan for. We have not had one of those since Jordan last played. There is a reason for that, i.e. they are at a premium. We took Jamal Crawford. Just like with Jamal Crawford, now we have to keep hearing how he will get better.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#37 Oct 10, 2008
Trying to build a solid nucleus for the future. Heck, all I see are second and third rate players on this team. It has been this way since Jordan left. We had one top quality guy since then, Brand. What did we do, we traded him for a draft pick for another second or third rate player. Championships are generally not won by having the best or most second and third rate players on your team. It did not work with Jordon, it does not work now. For the best shot, you need at least one, if not two, or three top rate players.

This organization just does not seem to understand this.
Sublime1

Denver, CO

#38 Oct 10, 2008
Dude, I am going to throw up with your cap room argument too. We have been through this before. No star is going to want to come and play on a team with nothing but second and third rate players. How are we any different in terms of that compared to when we tried to lure T. McGrady. Even if Benny the Bull greets him at the airport, like we did before, they are not coming. Now if you have another perennial all star on your team you have a much better chance. Unfortunately, we traded the only one we ever picked recently (Brand) and just passed on what looks to be another one (Beasley). How can some guy in an office understand how to build a team to win, yet people that played the game for years and get paid millions of dollars per year to make these decisions are so clueless.

Since: Aug 08

Springfield, IL

#39 Oct 10, 2008
Hey "Sublime 1"(by the way couldn't you have come up with any more of a full of yourself handle than that?)
Beasley was the better college player? He did nothing in the tournament, and his team bit the dust. Rose the two time Illinois H.S. Basketball champion drove his team to the title game in spectacular fashion as a Freshman. What kind of hate train of delusion are you on anyway? Derrick Rose is going to be a terrific player for the Bulls. Give the hate a rest.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#40 Oct 10, 2008
CentrILMark wrote:
Hey "Sublime 1"(by the way couldn't you have come up with any more of a full of yourself handle than that?)
Beasley was the better college player? He did nothing in the tournament, and his team bit the dust. Rose the two time Illinois H.S. Basketball champion drove his team to the title game in spectacular fashion as a Freshman. What kind of hate train of delusion are you on anyway? Derrick Rose is going to be a terrific player for the Bulls. Give the hate a rest.
It is actually a reference to the band. In any case, I really donít care what you think of my name just like you probably donít care if I think that the reference to central Illinois in your name is about as cool as a red neck in a trailer banging his sister.

Anyway, I suppose by your logic, all the starting players on Memphis and Kansas should have been picked 1-10 in the draft. And of course all the Kansas starters should have been picked 1-5 (since they won right), followed by the Memphis starters 6-10. Yea, it is funny, how when you follow your b.s. to logical conclusion how ridiculous it makes you look.

Beasley had almost no supporting cast around him at K state and that is why they did not advance. This has nothing to do with Beasley and the fact that you cannot realize is really telling. In contrast, Memphis was stacked. For example, put Beasley on Memphis and Rose on K State and see what happens. K state does not even make the ncaa or even come close to it. Memphis probably is no worse, if not probably better with Beasley. Now we can disagree about how good Memphis would be, but if you seriously think K state would have made the ncaa with Rose instead of Beasely, you are just a complete waste of time.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#41 Oct 10, 2008
In terms of the whole Beasley and Rose issue, really, it is in the past and cannot be changed. I really hope I am completely wrong about this. I do really like the Bulls, but am just so frustrated and mystified at last years draft pick. I think EVERYONE knows if everything were the same, except that Rose was not from Chicago, he is not on this team. To me that speaks to error. If you are making a draft choice and where the person was raised becomes the deciding factor, something is seriously wrong.

But, in terms of Rose, excuses may be justified for a year or two, but when Beasley totally out performs Rose this year, the next year, and the following year, excuses are going to start to wear thin at some point. I fear that is what will happen. At first it will be give him time; it takes time. Then it will be, well, he does not have the right players around him, so it is not his fault. To me excuses are just that excuses; and, as I said, Beasley don't need players around him to do his thing.
Damani

Schaumburg, IL

#43 Oct 10, 2008
I think alot of you are missing the point! Beasley will put up great numbers but will he make players around him better. Rose was a good pick but Paxson did a horrible job of not moving Hinrich or Gordon for a post player or big time scorer!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aaron Gray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA Trade Rumors: Toronto Raptors trade Andrea ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 fabesballin 2
News Chairman of the boards? For Bulls, it's Noah (Dec '09) Dec '09 BullsFan-1 1
News Chicago Bulls Roster Shaping Up (Aug '09) Aug '09 Webkinz49 1
News Chicago Bulls bring back Jannero Pargo (Jul '09) Jul '09 Nada Surf 112
News Centers of attention (Jun '09) Jun '09 Mgray 1
News Derrick Rose nervous about first Bulls training... (Sep '08) Jun '09 Bee Atsat 10
News Luke Harangody likes his fit with Chicago Bulls (Jun '09) Jun '09 Nada Surf 31
More from around the web