Bulls re-emphasizing defense

Bulls re-emphasizing defense

There are 16 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 6, 2008, titled Bulls re-emphasizing defense. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A surefire way to make any NBA coach lose his hair, turn beet red or emit steam from his ears - Scott Skiles would do all three while angrily calling a timeout - is to allow an uncontested dunk because of poor ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Curt

Desert Hot Springs, CA

#1 Oct 6, 2008
it all starts with defense...last year was disastrous for many reasons, but the non-committment to defense cost a great coach his job and made it painful to watch a team that held such promise just the year before...
Nick

United States

#2 Oct 6, 2008
I think that rather than revamping the entire system defensively, there needs to be minor adjustments that need to be made. Sounds like Kirk is pretty confused about the defense thus far...I dont mean no disrespect to Coach Del Negro or Kirk but as far as the rejuvanating the team, i believe that the team just needs to gel and work together .. confusing the players is a bad start , espescially when defense is your bread and butter to begin with.
jim

Japan

#3 Oct 7, 2008
The bulls demise came with the signing of over the hill B/Wallace and "cleaning house" by getting rid of Tyson Chandler, who always brought lots of energy and I dare say productivity to both ends of the court. The we had to waste a huge top pick on J. Noah, a Tyson play alike, but not as good. The contract thing with Ben and Luol, what else had we?
Anyways, I predict the Bulls will have a winning, season but just barely. Say 40 and 32 at best. And I'm a diehard Bulls fan. What do the others of you predict?
Just Steve

Concord, NH

#4 Oct 7, 2008
I am glad to see Del Negro instituting new systems for offense and defense. Tweeking a bad system is putting a bandaid on a hemmorage, and the team definitely needed major surgery.

Here's an obvious statement -- the Bulls' record this year will be based on figuring out who is going to score the points. While I think the Bulls have athletic enough players to control the defensive boards if they "buy in", there is a concern where the points will come from.

In watching this team "start" to run a little bit at the end of last season I think it will be a successful approach and will the Celtics will still be the Celtics, I think we'll see a quantum leap for this team. They will definitely make the playoffs, and maybe even get into the second round. I'm thinking 48 wins 34 losses.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#5 Oct 7, 2008
The Bulls will be lucky 2 win 35 games this year. Most teams in the league made improvements in the off season, what did the Bulls do? They won't be making any money off of me this season, I'll pass until Paxson and company are LONG gone from the scene.
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Oct 7, 2008
thanks, i needed a laugh. Gordon talking about defense is hilarious. alot of it is heart. end of story. the few games i actually got to watch the entire bulls game...they had very little on defense. some, had zero. oh a guy just went by me...ah, my teammate's got my back. teammate is thinking, d3mn, i gotta guard two dudes? screw that. all that equals...easy dunk. no heart, no intensity...no defense. hopefully Gordon's bad attitude will change this year but i'm not holding my breath. attitude is where it starts, and thats why the bulls sucked. if they regain that passion...it's a playoff team. without it? lottery time...
Gimy

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Oct 7, 2008
mgray, they drafted this kid...ah crap whats his name. i think he went in the first round. some point guard. SUPPOSEDLY he's good. not sure his name. they got him # 1 overall or something. Don Violet? Bobby Daisy? oh right, that DERRICK ROSE guy. might wanna check him out dude...just a thought, i heard he's like...above average
Ben G

Cicero, IL

#8 Oct 7, 2008
Can I take the long-term contract instead? This foot is scaring me!

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#9 Oct 7, 2008
Gimy wrote:
mgray, they drafted this kid...ah crap whats his name. i think he went in the first round. some point guard. SUPPOSEDLY he's good. not sure his name. they got him # 1 overall or something. Don Violet? Bobby Daisy? oh right, that DERRICK ROSE guy. might wanna check him out dude...just a thought, i heard he's like...above average
Yea, but they went out of there way to pick the wrong guy. They should have picked Beasely. Rose is not even projected to start on this team.

The bulls will not even come close to making the playoffs this year or next year. They have nothing but 2nd and 3rd Rate players. They have nothing but streaky shooters and absolutely no go to guys. The rookie Rose was a stretch. No one was even talking about this guy until the NCAA tournament.

Paxson is going to be fired either at the end of this season or next for botching this draft. We are going to have the pleasure of watching Beasley dominate for the next 10 plus years.
HKT

Lansing, MI

#10 Oct 7, 2008
Del Negro reminds me a lot of Barack Obama. Inexperienced, and probably leading this team to the cellar again this season.
Damani

Schaumburg, IL

#11 Oct 7, 2008
The Bulls will experience some growing pains this season with a new coach, new system, and new point guard. Chicago fans are very impatient so Del Negro and his staff will have to blow off the media and the internet post. I give it 2 years before this team will truly be a eastern conference contender.
Fred Warren

Seven Mile, OH

#12 Oct 7, 2008
I GOT A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE! Has a team ever made it to the playoffs when the following happen:

First Year Head Coach

New System

New Point Guard

No Go-To Man over 6'2

No Double Digit Rebounder

No Double Digit Asist Guy

Basically we are suppost to believe that Bulls are going to be better then they was last year. Den and Noc will be tired from playing all summer, Kirk is horrible....the worst 1st round 5th overall pick ever, Noah is a whinning metro-sexual who cant play and Larry huges should just retire. Derrick Rose could be a "good" point guard but I wish we could get the 1st pick this year so we could get Demar DeRozan. Watch we get the 2nd pick and mess everything up....Jordan Curse!
gimy

AOL

#13 Oct 7, 2008
sublime, i'll agree beez has more talent but, did you just see the incidents he's been involved in? i STILL haven't gotten the whole story on why he got fined TWICE as much for the two ho's and weed incident at rookie camp. the other two rookies got fined 20 g's, he later got fined 50 but they never said why. not to mention he's already in trouble with the Heat for other crap. dude has sick talent but, i'd prefer a leader...a hometown guy...and a gentleman that can be the face of a franchise. ben? lou? noch? noah? they didn't stand out last year. rose can be that guy. beez was just too much of a risk in terms of immaturity and potential inmate.
MStanisl

South Sioux City, NE

#14 Oct 8, 2008
From everything I have heard form the Bull's camp so far, it sounds like everybody is in good shape and bringing their A-Game this year, I think an emphasis on Defense will do a lot for them, but they also need to improve in their shooting percentage if they want to win games.

Check out http://www.chibullsblog.blogspot.com/ for weekly bulls updates.
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#15 Oct 13, 2008
Fred Warren wrote:
I GOT A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE! Has a team ever made it to the playoffs when the following happen:
First Year Head Coach
New System
New Point Guard
No Go-To Man over 6'2
No Double Digit Rebounder
No Double Digit Asist Guy
Basically we are suppost to believe that Bulls are going to be better then they was last year. Den and Noc will be tired from playing all summer, Kirk is horrible....the worst 1st round 5th overall pick ever, Noah is a whinning metro-sexual who cant play and Larry huges should just retire. Derrick Rose could be a "good" point guard but I wish we could get the 1st pick this year so we could get Demar DeRozan. Watch we get the 2nd pick and mess everything up....Jordan Curse!
2 answer your question: NO
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#16 Oct 13, 2008
Gimy wrote:
Rose and Gordan will be about the only 2 players on this team capable of making game winning plays. This teams cannot compete with NBA teams who have their eyes on a title.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aaron Gray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA Trade Rumors: Toronto Raptors trade Andrea ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 fabesballin 2
News Chairman of the boards? For Bulls, it's Noah (Dec '09) Dec '09 BullsFan-1 1
News Chicago Bulls Roster Shaping Up (Aug '09) Aug '09 Webkinz49 1
News Chicago Bulls bring back Jannero Pargo (Jul '09) Jul '09 Nada Surf 112
News Centers of attention (Jun '09) Jun '09 Mgray 1
News Derrick Rose nervous about first Bulls training... (Sep '08) Jun '09 Bee Atsat 10
News Luke Harangody likes his fit with Chicago Bulls (Jun '09) Jun '09 Nada Surf 31
More from around the web