UConn Beats Michigan With Late Surge

UConn Beats Michigan With Late Surge

There are 18 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Feb 7, 2009, titled UConn Beats Michigan With Late Surge. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A.J. Price made a three-pointer. Jerome Dyson threw a lob to Stanley Robinson, who dunked, sent an already hyperactive crowd into a frenzy, then pumped a fist in celebration while hanging on the rim.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Steve

Pembroke, MA

#1 Feb 8, 2009
was a good win, but watching on tv it sure seemed like a typical quiet UConn crowd. Am I wrong? It seems like that lower ring around the court is filled with middle-aged guys like me! It should be filled with students! A saturday game at home on espn? come on! If i was rich i would buy all of those tickets and give them to students. THe place would be crazy loud.
Wes Eustice

AOL

#2 Feb 8, 2009
Good point Steve. Those folks need a good dose of Cameron craziness. The UConn men should take lessons in passing from the UConn women and the UConn men's crowd should take lessons from the UConn women's crowd.
ptang

Kennett Square, PA

#3 Feb 8, 2009
love it when the former huskies come back
Harry G

Trumbull, CT

#4 Feb 8, 2009
Gampel is already one of the toughest venues to play at for a visiting team - imagine if the students lined the court a-la Duke, Pitt, Mich State? It would be absolutely insane.

I would like to think that the big spenders who sit in those courtside seats would gladly move to the baseline and let the students do what they do best. But that's probably wishful thinking...

Go Huskies!
Fan

Brooklyn, CT

#5 Feb 8, 2009
No doubt, this was a good fight on the court ~ Michigan played with a lot of moxie and threes ~ Douglas and Harris were on fire and a lot of the UConn baskets just weren't going in, which has to be attributed to Michigan's defense in the paint ~ this was scrappy all the way to the final buzzer, but the "W" went to the Huskies ~ now bring on the Orange!
the crowd

Meriden, CT

#6 Feb 8, 2009
what, the women's crowd...his original point was a student crowd not an over 65 crowd.....i do agree and have been saying this for years...we sold out for the money (ironically we are not selling games though)...i thought it was a painful game to watch...the half court offense was even more static then usual....great team but their half court offense still remains their achille's heel...they run, pressure, control the defense of paint and control the glass...they just don't move enough in the half court and their shooters are streaky...i look forward to seeing if uconn does this better against the cuse zone...another good test
John

Burlington, VT

#7 Feb 8, 2009
Was at the game with a 10 year old. We both were cheering loudly but the "older" fans in the lower sections do not get into the game. The seats must be uncomfortable down there because they need to sit on their hands to make their butts feel better!! Thank goodness for the students section--however-- I wish they would clean up their cheers. No need whatsoever for their language and disrespect when the National Anthem is being sung!! It was a great game to watch and was true to the Coach's prediction of what the game would be like. A GREAT W.
zete79

Rome, NY

#8 Feb 8, 2009
what's up with Kemba Walker?
outoftowner

Columbia, SC

#9 Feb 8, 2009
Watched most of the second half. Great game. Couldn't beleave the two out of bounds calls at the 8 min to go mark. Both were off Mich. Replayed them on my HD DVR. No question!!!!
Observer

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 8, 2009
If anyone has complaints about cheering at the games, direct them to the Athletic Department.
They have systematically killed off the spontaneity of the crowd with their promotions, commercials and music played over the PA system at games.
Yesterday's crowd was hyped and wanted to cheer but on several occasions as there was a stoppage in play the student section was drowned out as they started a cheer by the music or announcements blaring over the PA system.
It's all about the money.
For those old enough to remember games in the 1980's when the team started to turn around it was bedlam, especially at the Civic Center. The place shook in 1990 when UCONN beat Georgetown and Syracuse in about a week's time and the fans didn't need loud music over the PA system to get hyped up.
The cheerleaders actually cheered, and the Pep Band was actually allowed to play during stoppages in play.
Today, as soon as there's a timeout we have to watch the silly worn out promotions for Bob's Stores and whoever else is putting big money into season tickets or sponsorships. Or we have to listen to commercials played on the video monitors.
Maybe they're trying to create an NBA atmosphere, but it's certainly not conducive to students and other fans getting into the games with cheering.
And, people around us were getting frustrated and angry yesterday when the music over the PA system was played interminably during a timeout and as the players were on the floor waiting for live action to begin.
The worst occasion was when Michigan called a timeout to stop a UCONN run and the students and others wanted to cheer but instead we had a booming announcement and then music over the PA system.
I would imagine the Pep Band members must wonder why they're there, as they don't get as much air time as Bob's or the PA music.
Marc

Hartford, CT

#11 Feb 8, 2009
In regards to the Ray Allen quote, what exactly were the bench players doing that he didn't think was appropriate. Can anyone offer some insight?
long-time fan

Danbury, CT

#12 Feb 8, 2009
Watching this game at Gampel gave me agida. Listening to the stuents disrespect their flag and their country at many games makes me angry. Perhaps Coach, who always has words of praise for the student fans, should say a few words to those who haven't learned that supporting your team doesn't mean using profanity toward the other team and its supporters and most of all doesn't mean drowning out the anthem with 4-letter words. It's great having the students there to raise the noise level, but let's clean it up.
get real

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#13 Feb 8, 2009
maybe some state legislator, there's plenty of Uconn alum there, will offer some legislation mandating that the lower sections are reserved for students and the fat cats (pension comfortable insurance types from Avon)sit above the camera line....
3rd World Man

Manchester, CT

#14 Feb 8, 2009
I was in the UConn pep band not so long ago (graduated in 2005). You aren't far from being 100% right; the pep band DOES wonder why they're there sometimes. I can't tell you how many times we've started to pick up our instruments to play a full song, only to hear some surprise advertisement or announcement from the PA guy that wasn't on the script, and be relegated to playing a few bars of a brief cheer between the announcements and the inbounding of the ball. (But at least we got in the games for free, so I can't complain about that part.) I wish that UConn's marketing department would figure out a way to find more creative and less intrusive ways to bring in sponsorship monies and still not horn in so much on the home-court environment. I blame that, just as much as the Xanaxified stiffs that currently populate the plum seats, for the languid environments at Gampel and the Extra-Large.
yeh

Medford, NY

#16 Feb 8, 2009
Fire Admissions Staff wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hartford Courant ought to investigate the admissions department at UConn, and report on who is admitting these thugs to UConn and on what basis. Is UConn so hardup for students that it has to scape the barrel?
i think you guys are just all old farts who dont realize this goes on at every college in america, for instance, there is a youtube video of the UNC Maryland game in which Maryland beat UNC at home which was a huge upset. A UNC fan yelled go back to the ghetto to Maryland players. To me that is down right racist and inapporpriate, so dont think that these students are thugs or anything. If anything your just being a miserable person
UCONN Hoops

AOL

#17 Feb 8, 2009
long-time fan wrote:
Watching this game at Gampel gave me agida. Listening to the stuents disrespect their flag and their country at many games makes me angry. Perhaps Coach, who always has words of praise for the student fans, should say a few words to those who haven't learned that supporting your team doesn't mean using profanity toward the other team and its supporters and most of all doesn't mean drowning out the anthem with 4-letter words. It's great having the students there to raise the noise level, but let's clean it up.
There is no excuse for students, or anyone else, shouting out during the playing of the national anthem before a sporting event. This is not unique to Gampel. It happens far too often at many venues. That being said; message to UCONN:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no more Glee Club format national anthem performance prior to a game! Who thinks this is a good presentation at an athletic event? I would rather hear the UCONN Band play the anthem with some feeling and volume. I would bet this would keep the students (and all fans in attendance) at attention better than that silly acapalla (sp?) group. Save those guys for the Music Dept social.
Note: During one of the breaks in play UCONN honored an Army Sgt who served 2 tours in Iraq with a presentation at mid court. I can tell you that there were 10,000+ fans giving him a standing ovation to acknowledge his service!
Martyuconn95

Lake Worth, FL

#18 Feb 9, 2009
The game was very close ..to close,way to many turnovers and we gave there 3 point shooters to much of a look.At times the defence was left in no-mans land but a win is a win and Dyson had a great game.......GO Huskies.

Since: Jan 09

Connecticut

#19 Feb 9, 2009
Observer wrote:
If anyone has complaints about cheering at the games, direct them to the Athletic Department.
They have systematically killed off the spontaneity of the crowd with their promotions, commercials and music played over the PA system at games.
Yesterday's crowd was hyped and wanted to cheer but on several occasions as there was a stoppage in play the student section was drowned out as they started a cheer by the music or announcements blaring over the PA system.
It's all about the money.
For those old enough to remember games in the 1980's when the team started to turn around it was bedlam, especially at the Civic Center. The place shook in 1990 when UCONN beat Georgetown and Syracuse in about a week's time and the fans didn't need loud music over the PA system to get hyped up.
The cheerleaders actually cheered, and the Pep Band was actually allowed to play during stoppages in play.
Today, as soon as there's a timeout we have to watch the silly worn out promotions for Bob's Stores and whoever else is putting big money into season tickets or sponsorships. Or we have to listen to commercials played on the video monitors.
Maybe they're trying to create an NBA atmosphere, but it's certainly not conducive to students and other fans getting into the games with cheering.
And, people around us were getting frustrated and angry yesterday when the music over the PA system was played interminably during a timeout and as the players were on the floor waiting for live action to begin.
The worst occasion was when Michigan called a timeout to stop a UCONN run and the students and others wanted to cheer but instead we had a booming announcement and then music over the PA system.
I would imagine the Pep Band members must wonder why they're there, as they don't get as much air time as Bob's or the PA music.
I was at those games and you're right about the atmosphere. Especially Georgetown/Alonzo, when I was down close to the floor and actually began to worry that the Civic Center roof would collapse again from the thunderous noise from the fans.

I've also been a long-time opponent of the piped-in music, which dampens the fan participation. It's incredibly stupid to do that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

A.J. Price Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UConn men's notebook (Mar '09) Apr '14 BPT 3
News Wizards add A.J. Price (Jul '12) Jul '12 CharlesRascoe 1
News Unsung Player: Stanley Robinson (Aug '09) Oct '10 SilverSoftcat319 3
News Calderon for Granger makes sense (Aug '10) Aug '10 King General 1
News UConn Freshman Guard Kemba Walker Has the Moves (Sep '08) Oct '09 JNR 31
News Sizing up UConn in NBA draft (Jun '09) Jun '09 Li7gm 1
News After 2-Year Drought, 3 Huskies Have Played Int... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Smell That Stench 15
More from around the web