UConn Needs More From Seniors Adrien, Austrie

Full story: Hartford Courant

Jeff Adrien might have had the best chance. Tied as the fifth overtime wound down, A.J. Price missed a long jump shot and Adrien grabbed the rebound on the right.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Mar 22, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Former nutmegger in SC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Huskies fans-I hope you enjoy the game on TV...I will be thinking of you while i watch Radford/ UNC...bummer!
meeting of the minds

Plainville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

You can watch it for free online at CBSsports.com .
Arnold

South Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Former nutmegger in SC wrote:
Huskies fans-I hope you enjoy the game on TV...I will be thinking of you while i watch Radford/ UNC...bummer!
It also must be nice to live with people who have class especially the news papers? they would rarely or never bash players,etc! That is a real plus for them to win championships! class,class,class and win.
internet

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Former nutmegger in SC wrote:
if check some of the sports internet pages you may be able to connect live to the game - just a thought
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

If the best player on the floor is playing without confidence, then he will play no better than the worst player on the floor who is playing with confidence. This is true at every level of sports, from Little Leaque all the way through the Major leaques.

Calhoun needs to take Adrien aside and let him know that the Syracuse loss was NOT his fault. Too much focus is always put on the last shot, when if any one of the UCONN players had made a shot that they had missed in regulation or the 1st five overtimes, then UCONN would have won the game. It's a team sport and way too much emphasis is always placed on the last missed opportunity.
Rich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

If UConn has to be dependent at all on Craig Austrie then the tourny is going to be very, very brief.
truman

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

the team needs to drive to the basket more.
the past few games they have not and it hurt them
badly
Matt0624

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

John wrote:
If the best player on the floor is playing without confidence, then he will play no better than the worst player on the floor who is playing with confidence. This is true at every level of sports, from Little Leaque all the way through the Major leaques.
Calhoun needs to take Adrien aside and let him know that the Syracuse loss was NOT his fault. Too much focus is always put on the last shot, when if any one of the UCONN players had made a shot that they had missed in regulation or the 1st five overtimes, then UCONN would have won the game. It's a team sport and way too much emphasis is always placed on the last missed opportunity.
First off, Adrien is not the best player on the floor, Price is. Secondly, its UConn (ie University of Connecticut), not UCONN. Get a clue!
Marcus

Derwood, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

For Thursday and Saturday's games, just play like the better team - which they undoubtedly are. And then the Sweet 16, well, that's a whole new tourney.

How's that for expert analysis?

“5,24,48,88”

Since: Nov 07

Beacon Falls, CT.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Marcus wrote:
For Thursday and Saturday's games, just play like the better team - which they undoubtedly are. And then the Sweet 16, well, that's a whole new tourney.
How's that for expert analysis?
Sounds good to me Marcus, maybe you can get a job with ESPN!!!!
freddy kool

Ormond Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

fk GO HUSKIES, GO FOR THE GOLD!!!!!!
Huskies2324

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Man I miss Dyson!!! I wish he was healthy so the country could see how good this team actually is.

Our guys just have to man up and take the game from the other team...and I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean they just have to play like someone punched them in the mouth and hit them right back (for all you gentle types with delicate sensibilities that love to whine on these boards, this is just a figure of speach).

Aside from the two games where they let Pitt manhandle them and this silly Syracuse loss, the Huskies have played with guts and courage, and I for one am really proud of them and have confidence in them. Austrie, Adrien, Price, Thabeet, and Stanley need to put the hurt on Chattanooga big time and get some edge back and I think they will!!
AZ Husky

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

To all the UConn bashers, get a life—this is a very good team. To all the dreamers, get real—this is not a great team. I'd like nothing more than to take the drive up to Glendale, AZ and see our guys win the regional final. However, I don't have high expectations that this will happen. I certainly hope I'm wrong, and would be happy to be called out on this if things go really well. Shooting dry spells (from the field and at the line) and difficulty in quickly and effectively adjusting the defense are areas of concern, especially when the level of competition increases significantly. Also of worry, our guys seem to have difficulty in a high-pressure tournament environment when everything is at stake. History doesn't paint a pretty picture here. I think there's a good probability we'll get bounced in the third or fourth round, but, again, I hope I'm wrong. There's no question that this team has enormous potential. The question is whether they bring the tenacity, discipline and coolness under fire to realize this potential.
Enough is Enough

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Timster wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like the Guinness didn't agree with you last night "Cybil" did it?? Sounds like the "voices" can get real powerful when you've got a hangover. I'll speak slowly, Calhoun is UNDERPAID, and you are UNDEREDUCATED!!!!!! Go Huskies!!!
And you are an idiot. Enjoy your 2 maybe 3 tournament games.
Anyone making almost 2 mil in salary and endorsements to coach college BBall is totally overpaid.
Your "Cybil" talk is getting old fast. Maybe one of your 10th grade classmates could help you come up with something better. I'm sure when UConn gets knocked out you'll be gone. I'm also guessing you're also a Red Sox fan (since 2004 of course).
Timster

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Enough is Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are an idiot. Enjoy your 2 maybe 3 tournament games.
Anyone making almost 2 mil in salary and endorsements to coach college BBall is totally overpaid.
Your "Cybil" talk is getting old fast. Maybe one of your 10th grade classmates could help you come up with something better. I'm sure when UConn gets knocked out you'll be gone. I'm also guessing you're also a Red Sox fan (since 2004 of course).
"Cybil"
U-C-O-N-N

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

All I have to say is I am excited for this tournament to get underway. Of course, without Jerome Dyson we're not the same team. But like Calhoun said today at the press conference, this is the time when players can step up and special things can happen. I'm with UConn all the way...let's start it off with a big W tomorrow!!
truman

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

who cares what the coach makes ?
and any endorsements only brings more attention
to uconn which is a good thing
and to tell you the truth its no ones bussiness
what he makes away from his job anyway
if you think coach calhoun is over paid then you know nothing about sports and college basketball
TAKE A SEAT---->>>>>
Great Year

Meriden, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Adrien is an effective player if he never dribbles after posting up (i.e. good if shooting mid-range face ups, dribbling straight to the hole, doing a quick jump hook, rebounding and going right up, quickly kicking back out). He gets himself in trouble when he posts and dribbles. This ALWAYS leads to a stolen ball, dribble off the foot or a shot that is short. Up until this year I called him the black hole.

Austrie has NEVER been able to create for himself or others in the half court. Being an average slumping shooter makes him good for the end of the game ball handling and free throws. I am now starting a FREE SCOTTIE campaign. Can we please see Haralson get 7 minutes straight to play where he is allowed to actually shoot without the fear of being removed from the game. In the 10 minutes he has played in the last 6 games I think he has matched Austrie in points in his 30 minutes a game. Lastly, Calhoun should ban Walker from shooting threes, and Thabeet from bringing the ball below the shoulders. I really have loved this season, despite all the haters out there. I am hoping for a long and fun run. I know they are flawed but so is teams like

Pitt-with foul prone Blair
Lou-being able to lose by 33 to ND (ouch)
NC-deciding Defense is not necessary this year
Duke-with no inside game
Mem-the bricklayers who have not been challenged in months
Mich St-who has been in some ugly losses
(Northwestern-Ouch/by 100 to UNC)
OK-and the 2 man team of Griffin and Warren

should be fun...please keep picking against Uconn and letting them fly under the radar

what

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Uconn men will be lucky to get through the sweet sixteen. They do not have what it takes to win the whole thing.
Martyuconn95

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Goodluck guys, just go out there play your best and anything is possilbe...... lets go huskies !!!!! we finish when the music is over so lets enjoy the dance.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent A.J. Price Discussions

Search the A.J. Price Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
UConn men's notebook (Mar '09) Apr '14 BPT 3
Wizards add A.J. Price (Jul '12) Jul '12 CharlesRascoe 1
Unsung Player: Stanley Robinson (Aug '09) Oct '10 SilverSoftcat319 3
Calderon for Granger makes sense (Aug '10) Aug '10 King General 1
UConn Freshman Guard Kemba Walker Has the Moves (Sep '08) Oct '09 JNR 31
Sizing up UConn in NBA draft (Jun '09) Jun '09 Li7gm 1
After 2-Year Drought, 3 Huskies Have Played Int... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Smell That Stench 15
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••