UConn Earned No. 1 Seed

UConn Earned No. 1 Seed

There are 15 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 16, 2009, titled UConn Earned No. 1 Seed. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

So a loss isn't just a loss after all. Jim Calhoun insisted he came to this conclusion without any prompting in the past few days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Lynn Marie

Deep River, CT

#1 Mar 16, 2009
The Huskies deserved a Number One seed. Pitt, another Number One, lost by double digits in the Big East Tournament and also lost to Providence in the regular season. Pitt stepped up big-time in their two meetings with UCONN and beat them down the stretch in both games, proving the adage that when you play the best, you step up and bring your best game. Syracuse did exactly that when they met UCONN at The Garden. In six overtimes, when the game is finally over and your team lost, you play a lot of "What Ifs" - What if AJ Price had made both his free throws instead of only one in Overtime #5? What if a foul had prevented that last three-pointer by Syracuse to force a sixth overtime? What if...what if.. what if.
But to lose only once on the road all season long in some of the most hostile "away" environments in the Big East is very impressive... even if two heartbreaking losses occurred in the last two games of the season. The team is still finding its way following the loss of Dyson. I'm betting they do it within the next few days. And here's an interesting statistic: The Huskies won it all in 1999 and in 2004, which means they brought home the hardware every 5 years. This is 2009: do the math!
Don Chandler

Lake Worth, FL

#2 Mar 16, 2009
Get your popcorn ready!!!

This is gonna be a whole lotta fun
McLovin It

Newington, CT

#3 Mar 16, 2009
It's madness I tell ya, madness
justbreathe12

Middlefield, CT

#4 Mar 16, 2009
Yes, the Huskies stepped up big time in that Syracuse game! Shame on Calhoun for not seeing that.....for me, words came to late!!!!!!
Dean

United States

#5 Mar 16, 2009
"and One"!!!!
freddy kool

Palm Coast, FL

#6 Mar 16, 2009
fk YES, INDEED THE BIG DANCE IS ABOUT TO BEGIN.....GO HUSKIES!!!!!!! ENJOY

"IT DON'T GET MUCH BETTER THAN THIS"
LI Husky fan

Nanuet, NY

#7 Mar 16, 2009
AJ came up big some of the time, but what about those long 3s at the end of the OTs? He's got to play smarter if they're going to get to Detroit. Taliek figured it out; I hope he does too.
chris

Quincy, MA

#8 Mar 16, 2009
Jeff,

Are you happy now that Calhoun has recognized this game as you see it? You consistently jump on Calhoun’s back for his desire to win, which is one of his greatest attributes. It’s one of the reasons he’s a hall-of-fame coach. I watched the entire game and I was emotionally spent… and I’m a fan. Calhoun’s heart and soul is dedicated to the success of his teams, and you need to realize that his exterior does not always reflect his inner feelings. UConn played their hearts out (as did Syracuse) in this game… no denying that. But if every UConn team played with the burning desire to win like Calhoun, we’ve never question effort again.

Was this an incredible game to watch? You bet. Who wouldn’t want to see athletes compete in 6 overtimes. Epic game? No way. UConn should have won this game. Missed free-throws, poor execution, and 27 turnovers forced the game into 6 overtimes, not the level of play. I think Calhoun’s post-game remarks were appropriate.
Bruce Thompson

Wethersfield, CT

#9 Mar 16, 2009
We were on Hilton Head Island, SC last week and were delighted and proud to see one of Jeff's columns featured in the Island Packet about the UCONN/Syracuse game. Good job Jeff!

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#10 Mar 16, 2009
uconn sux...
Timster

Marion, CT

#11 Mar 16, 2009
Daniel in Hobbs wrote:
uconn sux...
Hey Daniel, "Clean up in aisle seven", time to make yourself useful!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!
mooreoften

AOL

#13 Mar 16, 2009
4 and 3 without Dyson, they didn't earn a number one seed they stole one.
CBS

Austin, TX

#15 Mar 16, 2009
McLovin It wrote:
It's madness I tell ya, madness
Out of respect to all the crazies and whack jobs out there, please use the term mayhem.
Thank you.
Joe

Hartford, CT

#16 Mar 17, 2009
REally? A #1 seed? please
Timster

Marion, CT

#17 Mar 19, 2009
Joe wrote:
REally? A #1 seed? please
REALLY JOE! Almost any educated person could wrap their arms around that determination.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

A.J. Price Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UConn men's notebook (Mar '09) Apr '14 BPT 3
News Wizards add A.J. Price (Jul '12) Jul '12 CharlesRascoe 1
News Unsung Player: Stanley Robinson (Aug '09) Oct '10 SilverSoftcat319 3
News Calderon for Granger makes sense (Aug '10) Aug '10 King General 1
News UConn Freshman Guard Kemba Walker Has the Moves (Sep '08) Oct '09 JNR 31
News Sizing up UConn in NBA draft (Jun '09) Jun '09 Li7gm 1
News After 2-Year Drought, 3 Huskies Have Played Int... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Smell That Stench 15
More from around the web