Calhoun Expects Better From Huskies

Calhoun Expects Better From Huskies

There are 37 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Feb 18, 2009, titled Calhoun Expects Better From Huskies. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Jerome Dyson was at the XL Center Monday - not in uniform, of course, but sitting behind the bench with crutches just hours after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cameo35

Bloomfield, CT

#1 Feb 18, 2009
..........Uconn just got an old fashion butt kicking.....No excuses, even if Dyson was in there they would have still lost!.........Uconn going to lose in the first round in the big east tornament , you'll see!.........Thrabeet, way to soft, wait till he play with the bigger boys out west .......boo hooo hoo Pitt. player flipped me over!......lol
yeh

Medford, NY

#2 Feb 18, 2009
old fashion butt kicking when they had a chance to win with 3 minutes left? wow seemed to me officiating asside it wa sa pretty good game that Uconn could of and should have won. Thabeet got power slammed by Blair which should have been a flagrant
calhounisababy

Atlanta, GA

#3 Feb 18, 2009
For all the chest thumping, trash talking(AJ Price even after losing sys uconn is tougher than Pitt) this team, the core of it, has accomplished nothing, no BE tourney wins, no NCAA wins. All the former uconn greats, even after bad games never got schooled the way uconn did the other night. So, calhoun probably feels stupid for all the POY talk for tabby the kitty cat. Now realizing that he is really soft and that other than some dunks and blocked shots, not much to him. Hey, he's just a taller version of stanley robinson. Maybe tabby will end up in a recycling yard picking up soda cans.
Bill

Berwick, PA

#4 Feb 18, 2009
calhounisababy wrote:
For all the chest thumping, trash talking(AJ Price even after losing sys uconn is tougher than Pitt) this team, the core of it, has accomplished nothing, no BE tourney wins, no NCAA wins. All the former uconn greats, even after bad games never got schooled the way uconn did the other night. So, calhoun probably feels stupid for all the POY talk for tabby the kitty cat. Now realizing that he is really soft and that other than some dunks and blocked shots, not much to him. Hey, he's just a taller version of stanley robinson. Maybe tabby will end up in a recycling yard picking up soda cans.
I knew the negative crowd would be drooling at first opportunity. Your attitude must eat you up inside. Let your heart grow and you will feel better
DCHusky

Washington, DC

#5 Feb 18, 2009
well stated.
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew the negative crowd would be drooling at first opportunity. Your attitude must eat you up inside. Let your heart grow and you will feel better
Beacon

Shelton, CT

#6 Feb 18, 2009
UConn is as tuff as Pitt. They lost because of rebounding, and not finishing under the basket. No need to question how great UConn is or put the season in peril, just make your free throws, finish under the basket, and rebound.
Marcus

Derwood, MD

#7 Feb 18, 2009
Zzzzz.... Same guys writing the same stuff.

Listen, these dudes take time out of their lives to get onto a CT newspaper site and type negative things about an UConn and its athletes.

Moral of the story: IF YOU'RE NOT GOOD, YOU'RE NOT HATED!
Husky Fan Forever

Burlington, VT

#8 Feb 18, 2009
Calhoun says what he knows he has to say to his team. Once I win two NCAA titles, then I'll criticize. Until that time: I really think that the team had to go through some growing pains without Dyson. There is no tragedy in losing to an excellent Pitt team--a game we could have won. This is part of a great season, no doubt about it. I am looking forward to the Huskies in the Final Four, no doubt.

It is hard to understand the negative posters on this site. Why do they take up their time?
IMGC

New York, NY

#9 Feb 18, 2009
HASHY NEEDS TO GET MORE PHYSICAL, CALHOUN SHOULD FIND THE BIGGEST MAN ON CAMPUS AND LET HIM POST UP ON HASHY IN PRACTICE, ROBINSON NEEDS TO MAKE HIS FREE THROWS AND STEP UP HIS D... UCONN WILL BE FINE, KEMBA WALKER IS THE X FACTOR NOW THAT DYSON IS OUT. UCONN WILL BE NATIONAL CHAMPS.
zete79

Syracuse, NY

#10 Feb 18, 2009
I mentioned in a previous blog that Robinson has never impressed me and Thabeet is way too soft.....the Huskies are an excellent team but as mentioned prev iously, they have yet to win anything. Last year, first round loss, the previous year no post-season bid. I cringed every time I heard Thabeet touted as "player of the year" -he has proven he is an excellent defender and improvement on the offensive end, but by no means "player of the year" material. I would be hard pressed to put him on the first team all big east team. I wish the team would play tough but remain understated until they win a Big East tourny game or a NCAA tourny game. As stated in my previous blog, I worried that Thabeet would get too cocky following his performance at Seton Hall. He has great touch but way too soft.
Couldn't Adrien have helped stabalize Blair? I don't know enough about basketball to understand why that would not work. Certainly he is stronger and tougher than Thabeet.
Robinson-maybe rust, but I have yet to see what everyone raves about-I merely see a disconnected guy who makes lazy, telegraphed passes. Occasionally a neuron in the brain connects and something positive happens but the negative far outweighs the positive. I would like to see Walker more.
PPPP

Roseland, NJ

#11 Feb 18, 2009
who cares if they have yet to win anything??? its college basketball. the kids stay for 4 years max and they dont have to go through any 7 games playoff series. it doesnt matter. They could win it all this year or they could lose early in the tournament. its single elimination. they have won enough big games this year alone to prove they are tough.

Since: Jan 09

Connecticut

#12 Feb 18, 2009
Husky Fan Forever wrote:
Calhoun says what he knows he has to say to his team. Once I win two NCAA titles, then I'll criticize. Until that time: I really think that the team had to go through some growing pains without Dyson. There is no tragedy in losing to an excellent Pitt team--a game we could have won. This is part of a great season, no doubt about it. I am looking forward to the Huskies in the Final Four, no doubt.
It is hard to understand the negative posters on this site. Why do they take up their time?
Agree with everything you've said. Great, enjoyable season.

As for the darkling screwballs, it's something for them to do in the winter when its hard to find flies for a little wing-pulling.
;^)
Pdizzel

United States

#13 Feb 18, 2009
What's with all the haters!? Uconn is a great team that's having a great year. People let's remember there still 24-2, tied for first in the Big East, are 8-2 against top 25 teams, byfar the most wins agians top 25 teams. They lost only their second game to a great team. People who are saying the season is over and going nowhere are idiots. Loss of dyson hurts them but still are a natioal championship contender. And for the idiot above who says this team hasn't accomplished anything the last two years is truly an idiot. Did you forget three years ago we lost our top 6 players, 5 who were selected in the draft? Your going to have a down year or two after that happens. Anyway, all you haters out there go spend your time doing somethig else rather than trash talking about a really good team. The second Pitt game can't come soon enought! Go uconn!
PPPP

Roseland, NJ

#14 Feb 18, 2009
And I don't think that Thabeet should be in the player of the year conversation either (it is Blake Griffin's award), but think about players that have won the award in the past who can't play any defense, an only excel on offense. Thabeet is the opposite so he shouldn't automatically be excluded.
tmac

Hartford, CT

#15 Feb 18, 2009
For those who don't believe it. Pitt is a better team. They have more scoring options, a stronger bench and are more physical. With that said this game came down to 2 things, clutch shooting ( they made 2, UCONN made none ) and free throws. Every team in the country has a weaknees. Pitt's weakness is that if they are not allowed to play physical they will lose. That is why they lost the 2 games that they did. By the way Mike Kitts is having a bad week. He did the Kentucky / Vandy game last night and made some questionable calls
h c ecco

Buena Park, CA

#16 Feb 18, 2009
win or lose the kids deserve a raise in pay and union status...$37,000 is peanuts compared to the going rate for coaches and retired profs...not to mention the big bucks from the media and to the media for their commercial exploitation of the kids on tv...hard to call it fair play and it certainly ain't higher education.
roberttherugguyr aleigh

Wake Forest, NC

#17 Feb 18, 2009
rebounding, 3 pointers and fearlessness missing against Pitt but coach should not be throwing players under the bus
bmac

Baltimore, MD

#18 Feb 18, 2009
I strongly disagree that Pitt has more scoring options and a better bench. Their bench had 3 pts against UConn. Pitt is largely two players, neither of which the Huskies could contain and that's principally why they lost. Blair and Young combined for 47 points. If you can limit Blair or Young, Pitt isn't balanced and is very beatable.
Cosby for President

United States

#19 Feb 18, 2009
Husky Fan Forever wrote:
Because they have never played sports and they use teams to live their life through!!
observations

Meriden, CT

#20 Feb 18, 2009
here is the problem they are 24-2...they are among only 4 major conference teams who can say they have 2 or less losses...they have won at lots of tough places...including places Pitt could not...it was good game...they lost...but it does not send any great reflection out....the 2004 team lost 6 teams...and at times by alot...they did not win that many big games in the regular season...people bashed them a lot...even the 1999 team lost 2 games...with that said the 1996 also were 24-1 to start and lost to Miss St in the sweet sixteen....the bottom line is that this games a lot less than people are making it...if they win at home against S Flor and ND...on the road at a good Marquette team they will be 27-2 going into Pitt for round 2...and the outcome of the game will be big but not matter if they loss and beat them in NY...and a loss there will not matter if they make to the final 4...bottom line Uconn is tough (wins at Lou, W.Virg, Cinn., ND, at Sea v. Zags, home against Nova and Cuse after losing Dyson in the game) and good, but not unbeatable

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

A.J. Price Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UConn men's notebook (Mar '09) Apr '14 BPT 3
News Wizards add A.J. Price (Jul '12) Jul '12 CharlesRascoe 1
News Unsung Player: Stanley Robinson (Aug '09) Oct '10 SilverSoftcat319 3
News Calderon for Granger makes sense (Aug '10) Aug '10 King General 1
News UConn Freshman Guard Kemba Walker Has the Moves (Sep '08) Oct '09 JNR 31
News Sizing up UConn in NBA draft (Jun '09) Jun '09 Li7gm 1
News After 2-Year Drought, 3 Huskies Have Played Int... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Smell That Stench 15
More from around the web