Francisco Liriano's mangled start puts Twins future in doubt

Full story: TwinCities.com 6
Francisco Liriano's late return to the Twins' starting rotation Sunday afternoon ended worse than any start during a forgettable season for the one-time franchise player. Full Story

“Noses run and feet smell”

Since: Dec 08

Compton CA

#1 Sep 28, 2009
Liriano needs to go. he is terrible
jbird

Grand Forks, ND

#2 Sep 28, 2009
I dont know if he needs to go but he needs to spend a full year in the minors.
Bob from New Hope

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Sep 28, 2009
Poor very poor decision by Gardenhire to start Liriano in this game.
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

#4 Sep 28, 2009
Pitchers need to have both command and control of their pitches. Liriano is too inconsistent; however, his velocity seems to be returning. He could prove to be a good man coming out of the bullpen with orders to cut loose. Gardenhire started Liriano because the guy is throwing hard and the pitches look good when he does master them. Unfortunately, with Liriano its all unpredictable. It was worth the gamble to try Liriano. Manship probably wouldn't have done much better.

“Noses run and feet smell”

Since: Dec 08

Compton CA

#5 Sep 28, 2009
brachiosaurus wrote:
Pitchers need to have both command and control of their pitches. Liriano is too inconsistent; however, his velocity seems to be returning. He could prove to be a good man coming out of the bullpen with orders to cut loose. Gardenhire started Liriano because the guy is throwing hard and the pitches look good when he does master them. Unfortunately, with Liriano its all unpredictable. It was worth the gamble to try Liriano. Manship probably wouldn't have done much better.
Broch,
i usally agree with you, but in this case, i feel Liriano has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself and has failed every time. Gardy needs to keep him as a middle reliever, but cannot count on him for quality starts. i wouldnt lose any sleep if we got rid of him for the remainder of the year & gave someone else a chance.

Lets hope to win 3 out of 4 against Detroit so that the weekend series against KC is interesting, since i have tickets!

R.I.P. Metrodome, but imagine how many layers we are going to have to put on next year to watch a game in this weather.

Since: Mar 09

Saint Augustine, FL

#6 Sep 28, 2009
I agree that was a horrible decision to start Liriano by Gardenhire. With Liriano's track record, why start him with so much on the line unless Gardehire figured that they had no chance of beating Greinke.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yuniesky Betancourt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Betancourt hits grand slam, then winning single... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Bear 1
Betancourt's 2-out single gives Royals 6-4 win ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 johnnyj 1
Bizarre reversed call sends teams back onto field (Jun '10) Jun '10 HAIRY 12
Betancourt Leads Royals Over Reds 6-5 in 11 (Jun '10) Jun '10 concerned in exce... 2
Baseball a neighborhooda much smaller today (Apr '10) Apr '10 George Gracie 1
Tigers use six-run 7th to beat Greinke, Royals 8-4 (Apr '10) Apr '10 concerned in exce... 7
He's got some issues with Red Sox skipper (Sep '09) Sep '09 Maybe Next Year 14
More from around the web