He's got some issues with Red Sox ski...

He's got some issues with Red Sox skipper

There are 14 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Sep 27, 2009, titled He's got some issues with Red Sox skipper. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Here's the innate problem with being a players' manager, and it's no secret that Terry Francona is a players' manager: The rewards are short term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

The Commander

Lynchburg, VA

#1 Sep 27, 2009
It is easy to knock a Manager when something he does winds up not working. Tito does not hit or pitch the guys he has on his roster do. Is it his fault that Billy Wagner gave it up in NY a night or so ago? No it is not but the results are the same runs were scored by NY. Players are paid to perform if they do you win (and look good) if not then you look bad and writers with a lack of vision will write silly comments like the one above!
What Gives

Ypsilanti, MI

#2 Sep 27, 2009
I really have a problem with a Red Sox manager who goes into Yankee Stadium without his A game.

Take the Yankees, the best team in baseball. They are about to wrap up the best record in the American league and homefield advantage. Did they give their best palyers a rest, no.

They always put their best players on the field when playing the Red Sox.

Our manager gave our shortstop, who's hitting almost .300 a day off. Hello, if the guy needed a days rest, why not in Kansas City? Not in Yankee Stadium when your suppose to get your mojo back after being killed by the Yankees for seven games.

The Red Sox had a great opertunity to win yesterday, with a couple of hits from the bottom of the order we could have scored two runs. If our regular great fielding shortstop had played, the ball would have been caught in centerfireld instead of dropping between two players. Making DiceK pitch more pitches. Also the two runs caused by the error of the shortstop never would have happened.

Imagine the confidence a Dice K win over the Sabathia and Yankees would have produced.

This is the reason the Yankees will win the American League and Series. They just want it more. Imagine if the manager asked Jeter (much older) to take a day off against the Sox, never happen.

The Yankees know what they want, and the Red Sox are back to the old days. The Yanks beat us to Damon, Arod, Sabathia and now Texiera, the Yankeees want to win and the Red Sox are back to bad managed team that we had for fifty years.
Mr Belvidere

United States

#3 Sep 27, 2009
Best article on the skipper ever. keep up the good work
Donald A Drew

Gloucester, MA

#5 Sep 27, 2009
I am a season ticket holder and hardly go in any more, as I never liked his style of manageing and agree with your article,First place win's not second.
I feel he is a good person but it ends there.Management has provided him with a top notch group of players over the years and won twice,but not because of his manageing skills.
slugger

Gloucester, MA

#6 Sep 27, 2009
....and they should consider what to do about Varitek and "Poopie" Ortiz.
Two,non producing expensive baggage.
Show Mercy

Ypsilanti, MI

#7 Sep 27, 2009
slugger wrote:
....and they should consider what to do about Varitek and "Poopie" Ortiz.
Two,non producing expensive baggage.
Bye Jason, you were good and we will always love you, but as you proved with your contract it's about money.

With us Red Sox fans it's about winning. We don't mind the terrible ballpark, paying the highest prices in baseball and crybaby players, but when you don't produce it's time to leave.

Thanks, but BYE
James Johana

Regina, Canada

#8 Sep 27, 2009
Up yours Chazzzzzz
James Templeton

United States

#9 Sep 28, 2009
You have stated the truth my friend. Oh, anyone can be an "armchair manager", but anyone with true baseball knowledge would have to agree. Some problems I see on any given day include such things as allowing Ortiz to stay in the lineup when he obviously needed to go to triple-A for a while. We lost several games due to this very fact.
Secondly, he uses the pitching staff poorly. Leaving in starters too long or taking them out in the 6th when they are really pitching well. Taking out or not taking out relievers. When 'Jima throws 8 pitches in the 7th inning with no hits or walks and 2 strikeouts, why take him out? This using 3-4 relievers in a game can only help to burn them out.
I know it is easy to second guess since I am only a fan, but I really think he could be doing a much better job managing games.
PS letting Bailey hit in the 7-8 spot with noone to cover his back makes him look bad when in fact he could be a great hitter. Not one time did Francone even try to let him hit with Bay or Youk behind him for protection.
Boodog

United States

#10 Sep 29, 2009
Gee - Why waste your time writing? There are a lot of teams out there needing smart managers that never make any mistakes - I feel sure managing would just be a walk in the park for you -
Maybe Next Year

Ypsilanti, MI

#11 Sep 29, 2009
Boodog wrote:
Gee - Why waste your time writing? There are a lot of teams out there needing smart managers that never make any mistakes - I feel sure managing would just be a walk in the park for you -
You are a loser!!!!!
Green Monstah

Beverly, MA

#12 Sep 29, 2009
It's a shame that someone with supposed baseball knowledge above has no idea.
First off, Ortiz cannot go back down to AAA unless it is on a rehab assignment, and he was on the DL...
Second, as good as Bailey might be, he is not deserving of hitting in the top of the lineup. Why would Tito protect a hitter that hasn't proven much? Pitchers go after these hitters, they don't pitch around them. If he is hitting 7 or 8, he should be seeing great pitches to hit...
Lastly, as for the bullpen, how can you burn out pitchers when they are only throwing a few pitches at a time? They are going to clinch a playoff spot, that is a given right now...why not make sure pitchers are getting their work in? Playoffs are more important than winning a meaningless game. I am glad to see him putting 3 or 4 pitchers in from the pen, he is keeping them sharp. Let's see what happens when Pap doesnt pitch for a few nights, and goes in to save a game. He is off, and everyone complains. Pitchers need to throw to stay on top, which is why pitchers report before the rest of the team, not after.
And before you get into me not knowing anything....I played professionally, and now coach professionally...but apparently I dont have true baseball knowledge
Maybe Next Year

Ypsilanti, MI

#14 Sep 29, 2009
Green Monstah wrote:
It's a shame that someone with supposed baseball knowledge above has no idea.
First off, Ortiz cannot go back down to AAA unless it is on a rehab assignment, and he was on the DL...
Second, as good as Bailey might be, he is not deserving of hitting in the top of the lineup. Why would Tito protect a hitter that hasn't proven much? Pitchers go after these hitters, they don't pitch around them. If he is hitting 7 or 8, he should be seeing great pitches to hit...
Lastly, as for the bullpen, how can you burn out pitchers when they are only throwing a few pitches at a time? They are going to clinch a playoff spot, that is a given right now...why not make sure pitchers are getting their work in? Playoffs are more important than winning a meaningless game. I am glad to see him putting 3 or 4 pitchers in from the pen, he is keeping them sharp. Let's see what happens when Pap doesnt pitch for a few nights, and goes in to save a game. He is off, and everyone complains. Pitchers need to throw to stay on top, which is why pitchers report before the rest of the team, not after.
And before you get into me not knowing anything....I played professionally, and now coach professionally...but apparently I dont have true baseball knowledge
What you say has merit! However did you notice how the Yankees managed the last series?

They were guaranteed the best record in the AL and home field advantage, yet they played their best players and played to win. To rest key players in a key series (momentum and confidence)getting ready for a winner take all playoffs, how will the Sox have confidence going into a second round series against the Yankees who beat us 9 out of 10 games?.

We can only thank god the Rangers self destructed, if they went on a run they could have been the wild card.

To me right now the Yakees are the best team in Baseball and have all the confidence needed to go all the way. The Red Sox went 2 and 2 in KC, swept in NY and now lost the first game to Toronto. This is not the best way to enter the post season.

When and big IF the Sox face the Yankees in the playoffs, the Sox will be at a big disadvantage they have no confidence and they know the Yanks are a better team.

That is no way to enter the playoffs!!
Green Monstah

Beverly, MA

#15 Sep 29, 2009
Unfortunately, I agree that NY is a better team right now. Kills me to say this, as I am a die hard Sox fan. However, I believe we have a better pitching staff, and that is what gets it done in the postseason.
Yes, the end of the year has been managed extremely different on both sides, however I think Tito is just trying to give his guys more rest, simply because they need it more. Their roster is getting very old, and I think he is just trying to make sure that everyone is if nothing else healthy for the playoffs. Even giving the younger guys some time off, maybe he is saying rest now cuz we are riding you into the ground come October.
Who knows, but it is scary walking into the playoffs with how we are playing. Tito has gotten us 2 rings so far, so lets trust the man in helping us get a 3rd.
I dont think we have another Grady Little on our hands, because it could be a whole lot worse!
Maybe Next Year

Ypsilanti, MI

#16 Sep 30, 2009
Green Monstah wrote:
Unfortunately, I agree that NY is a better team right now. Kills me to say this, as I am a die hard Sox fan. However, I believe we have a better pitching staff, and that is what gets it done in the postseason.
Yes, the end of the year has been managed extremely different on both sides, however I think Tito is just trying to give his guys more rest, simply because they need it more. Their roster is getting very old, and I think he is just trying to make sure that everyone is if nothing else healthy for the playoffs. Even giving the younger guys some time off, maybe he is saying rest now cuz we are riding you into the ground come October.
Who knows, but it is scary walking into the playoffs with how we are playing. Tito has gotten us 2 rings so far, so lets trust the man in helping us get a 3rd.
I dont think we have another Grady Little on our hands, because it could be a whole lot worse!
After last nights game I wonder if our pitching staff is over rated.

We went into New York and were out pitched. Last nights loss was because again our starting pitching got lit up. Lestor has only been average in his last few starts and Becket may be hurt and his last few starts have been unimpressive.

One thing is for sure, if I had to bet on a team to win the AL the Sox would be my third choice.

While we did win the LA series we actually lost that series when the ump blew the third strike call.

I still believe Tito has poorly managed our pitching staff (leaving starters in too long) and resting players before we won anything.

We are so lucky that the Rangers didn't go on a 10 game winning streak or we would be tied in the WC race.

Time will tell, but I think the last two weeks have been poorly managed and we are in a very week position going into the playoffs.

All I Can Say is Go SOX!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yuniesky Betancourt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Betancourt hits grand slam, then winning single... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Bear 1
News Betancourt's 2-out single gives Royals 6-4 win ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 johnnyj 1
News Bizarre reversed call sends teams back onto field (Jun '10) Jun '10 HAIRY 12
News Betancourt Leads Royals Over Reds 6-5 in 11 (Jun '10) Jun '10 concerned in exce... 2
News Baseball a neighborhooda much smaller today (Apr '10) Apr '10 George Gracie 1
News Tigers use six-run 7th to beat Greinke, Royals 8-4 (Apr '10) Apr '10 concerned in exce... 7
News Francisco Liriano's mangled start puts Twins fu... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Gypsy Cab 6
More from around the web