Yankees' attention shifts from Santan...

Yankees' attention shifts from Santana to bullpen

There are 10 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 6, 2007, titled Yankees' attention shifts from Santana to bullpen. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Yankees' focus has shifted from hunting for big-time starters to improving the state of their bullpen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

mingdurga

Albany, NY

#2 Dec 6, 2007
Hopefully the Yankees stick with the "kids" throughout spring training and bring em north.
By the July trading deadline, maybe we'll see the last of Giambi, Mussina, and Farnsworth.

With Giradi and Eiland's guidance, the young pitching staff will do alright.
rbyank

Jonas Ridge, NC

#3 Dec 6, 2007
Let's go with youth. Paying ridiculous sums for average middle relief pitchers is nonsense.

We have an abundance of talent. Let's use it.
Go figure

New York, NY

#4 Dec 6, 2007
That's it Brian. Let the young guys compete for the bullpen spots. Vizcaino is not worth 4 million per year. You have one more year of Farnsworth left and then we get rid of that deadbeat. You have plenty to choose from for the bullpen. Veras looked good last year and if Ramirez were to stop falling in love with his change up, albeit a great one, he could be very effective too. Glad you kept the young starters too. We will be ok. Obviously the Red Sox were just trying to drive up the price on Santana. If they wanted him, they would have gotten him by now. The Yankee offer was the best and the Twins lack of action proves that.
Go figure

New York, NY

#5 Dec 6, 2007
Please explain to me why all of a sudden Dave Eiland is a pitching guru? I see a lot of people on these posts going crazy over Eiland and I don't understand it. I thought Ron Guidry did a good job the past 2 years and Mel Stottlemyre before him. What happened to Leo Mazzone? A couple of years ago fans were screaming the Yankees should get him to be their PC and you see how far he got the Orioles. If pitchers are talented and smart, a pitching coach matters little except for moral support.
venom

Albany, NY

#6 Dec 6, 2007
Go figure wrote:
Please explain to me why all of a sudden Dave Eiland is a pitching guru? I see a lot of people on these posts going crazy over Eiland and I don't understand it. I thought Ron Guidry did a good job the past 2 years and Mel Stottlemyre before him. What happened to Leo Mazzone? A couple of years ago fans were screaming the Yankees should get him to be their PC and you see how far he got the Orioles. If pitchers are talented and smart, a pitching coach matters little except for moral support.
Eiland was the AAA pitching coach that helped groom Joba, Hughes, Kennedy, Karstens..... Since he is needs the kids to produce earlty it made sense to bring him up and provide a comfort level
jim

AOL

#7 Dec 6, 2007
venom wrote:
<quoted text>Eiland was the AAA pitching coach that helped groom Joba, Hughes, Kennedy, Karstens..... Since he is needs the kids to produce earlty it made sense to bring him up and provide a comfort level
hey venom, notice teh missing robert, unbiased, tman and tap and mouse??? strange not to have to argue any more
Jules Kuperberg

United States

#8 Dec 6, 2007
I'm with Kat. The yanks indeed have sufficient relievers "in-house." While free agent relievers are selling for a premium, I don't see anyone on the market significantly better
than what they currently have. Although come to think of it unloading Farnsworth wouldn't be a bad idea.
Jules Kuperberg

United States

#9 Dec 6, 2007
On another note: There's something to be said about growing talent on the farm and seeing them develop in the bigs. That and trades is what makes baseball exciting. Buying ready made talent off the free market shelf is getting old(regardless if they pan out or not).
vls

Warren, NJ

#10 Dec 6, 2007
Go figure wrote:
The main thing about Eiland is that he has been working with the young pitchers in the minors.
david

New York, NY

#11 Dec 7, 2007
vls wrote:
<quoted text>The main thing about Eiland is that he has been working with the young pitchers in the minors.
The problem with the Yankees sometimes is they bring back their old popular players to be coaches, but just because they did good as players doesn't necessarily translate into being good coaches. Mattingly was not a great hitting coach nor was Guidry a great pitching coach. The problem is that alot of players wouldn't say anything because they were popular Yankees and they act in the "Yankee way" which I really think inhibits the veterans that come over from other teams. Example, AROD did phenomenal this year when Kevin Long became the hitting coach after Mattingly became the bench coach. These young pitchers will do much better under Eiland than if Guidry had remained pitching coach. Thats why last year after they were brought up, they still had Eiland come up to work with them instead of Guidry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tyler Clippard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boston Red Sox Should Consider These 7 Trades f... (Nov '12) Nov '12 mike 1
News Division leaders square off as Dodgers host Nats (Apr '12) Apr '12 Norcalblue 1
News Kotsay helps Padres avoid sweep (Apr '12) Apr '12 Yawn 1
News Pirates' McCutchen hits three homers vs. Nationals (Aug '09) Aug '09 Gomer 1
News Yankees' attention shifts from Santana to bullpen (Dec '07) Dec '07 Andrew C 4
News Yankees Notes: Clippard traded to Nats (Dec '07) Dec '07 Veracity 2
More from around the web